Headset For Voip?

Simmo

Hi.

I'm looking to get a few USB headsets for small office LAN to talk with their head office via skype & MSN etc. Sound quality is important in this instance, can anyone recommend a model/manufacturer?

Also looking for a recommendation on a bluetooth model for laptop users.

Finally does anyone know a Bangkok provider/consulatant for VoIP gear? (eg SIP phones, ATA adapators, switches with Power over Ethernet). Links to any website would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi.

I'm looking to get a few USB headsets for small office LAN to talk with their head office via skype & MSN etc. Sound quality is important in this instance, can anyone recommend a model/manufacturer?

Finally does anyone know a Bangkok provider/consulatant for VoIP gear? (eg SIP phones, ATA adapators, switches with Power over Ethernet). Links to any website would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I can't even find a USB headset here in Chiangmai.

I use a Genius headphone, quite cheap in BKK and sufficient for Skype with various offices around Asia. No commercial here but type genius thailand, in your google or search engine and

you will find it and dealer in BKK.

Edited by Axel

I’ve come to understand, based on reading posts here on TV, that VoIP is still a bit under the radar here, primarily due to regulatory issues, so equipment availability might be limited?

Check out this thread for on-line retailers:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54515

From one on-line retailer I found the following for headsets (Is speaker/mic ok vs. USB?), and VoIP phones:

http://www.shop4thai.com/en/category/?cat=59

http://www.shop4thai.com/en/category/?cat=164

I think Simmo was enquiring about USB headsets, as opposed to the headsets which will plug in to a walkman/ipod/pc-audio-out etc. Unfortunately I can't directly help because I get all my gear in Taiwan. I have never seen any such devices in BKK. Bluetooth sets should be a bit easy to find here, I should think, but again, I haven't looked. BTW, all the USB devices I have seen in Taiwan seemed to be poorly built, I'm not sure how long they would last in the real world.

If you're looking at doing real VOIP sometime in the future, and by "real" I mean open-standards SIP or H.323 and NOT Skype, you might also look into getting IP phones which plug directly into your lan hub. They have the advantage of not requiring a computer, and you get all the nifty PBX functionality like conference and hold and multiple lines. They are a bit pricier but a good investment if you intend to build a IPPBX. Here's one which has got me drooling: http://www.zyxel.com/product/P2000W.php

While you’re at it, why not go for the convenience of a wireless Skype phone? I read the attached article recently in Bangkok Post.

At the moment, I am using the Olympia DUALPhone, which also works as a cordless DECT phone, i.e. it let’s me initiate and answer calls on the Skype, Skypout and the landline. I’ve got one base station and three handsets in my house.

------------

Maestro

Bangkok_Post_20051228_Linksys_CIT200_cordless_Skype_phone.pdf

Edited by maestro

Good idea but at €99 (5,000 baht) a bit costly. I expect when this type of taiwan produced devices start to turn up here they'll probably sell at less than half that price.

In the meantime most computer centers (Tukcom) sell adequate USB headsets @ around 1000 baht. The advantage of a USB headset is that it is easier to plug/unplug and you don't have to unplug it to hear the phone calling (setup skype to use the PC speaker for the ringtone).

Good idea but at €99 (5,000 baht) a bit costly.

True.

In Bangkok recently, I configured Skype to use my Bluetooth headset. I use the Sony Ericsson HBH-300, but there are cheaper brands around that can do the same.

-------------

Maestro

Hi.

Thanks.

Well if money is not an issue, I am very satisfied with my Sennheiser PC155 headset. (Regular connector and comes with a USB adapter.) Just north of US$100 and I have no idea about availability in Thailand. Sennheiser also makes one that's closer to US$40, as well as more expensive models too. The gaming sites give the 155 headset good marks. Good source for reviews as they are pretty demanding of their hardware. This is probably overkill just for VOIP and I'm sure you'll be fine with a cheaper model.

Another reason I went with Sennheiser is that a voice recognition website rates a Sennheiser microphone as "Unequivocably the best headset microphone we have ever tested in terms of accuracy and noise cancelling." That one runs about US$150 and is a microphone only though.

http://www.emicrophones.com/microphones/pr....asp?subcatID=1

Using Skype and calling from California to a Thai cell phone, the call quality with my PC155 is fantastic. My girlfriend actually sounds different on this compared to my regular phone. It has a good frequency range including nice bass. Her voice is richer and I make out things in the background that are just noise on my regular phone. I can hear people talking nearby and understand them if they're close enough. Can't do that on the regular phone, its just mumbling.

If she's on the bus, I can actually have a conversation over the background noise. I can understand her and she can understand me as if I were sitting there. On the regular phone her voice blends into the background noise and I can't understand very much so I end up calling her back. She also never seems to say, "can you speak up please" when I use the headset, but always does on the regular phone.

Some of their lighter models are probably just fine and better on the hair than this over the head model.

• 5 weeks later...

It's probably a bit late, but I was looking for VOIP head sets about 6 months ago - tried everywhere, inlcuding Pantip from top to bottom. Finally gave up and bought a SHIKE headset in Pantip for around 700 Baht. It plugs into the headphone outlet and works brilliantly. I then went to the UK and bought a USB phone from www.shop4USB. They have usb headsets from 16 pounds and more sophisticated stuff from to 20 pounds plus. Very efficient and delivered within 1 day to an address in UK. By the way, my friend has an Apple Mac and doesn't need anything - the built in mike and speakers do the trick. He is very happy with it. :o

While you’re at it, why not go for the convenience of a wireless Skype phone? I read the attached article recently in Bangkok Post.

At the moment, I am using the Olympia DUALPhone, which also works as a cordless DECT phone, i.e. it let’s me initiate and answer calls on the Skype, Skypout and the landline. I’ve got one base station and three handsets in my house.

------------

Maestro

I use this model at home, and it works great as you describe.