Protein Bars In Chiang Mai?

mrireland

I asked this one many months ago and there only seemed to be online ones, since then the GNC store in San Sad Kaew Central Plaza had a few but half the time theyre out of them and cant tell you when they will be back in stock.

Does anyone else know any shops in Chiang Mai that sell the bars. Ill probably just end up ordering online from Bangkok but i would rather buy in a store rather than order online if possible.

There is a shop I nticed recently, It's on Chang moi road, go down past the push bike shop on the right side and just past that on the same side is a health food store, (don't remember the name.)

By the looks of the stock inside I reackon they must be ordering their stuff from the Phuket health shop as it seems the same stuff. (only slightly inflated prices) I am pretty sure they will have them there, it is the best stocked shop of its kind I have seen so far. (without the outrageous GNC prices....

U can't miss it, it has big protein powder banners right outside of the shop.

Alternativley buy direct from the Phuket health store, I have used them a ot now, run by a westrn guy and they deliver the stuff free of charge within a couple of days...

If you can't find what you're looking for, have you considered making your own? We aren't talking rocket science here. As long as you don't need them to have long shelf life, it's easy (15-20 minutes) and healthy to whip up a batch of a few dozen to store in your fridge. Not even any cooking needed for most recipes.

There is a shop I nticed recently, It's on Chang moi road, go down past the push bike shop on the right side and just past that on the same side is a health food store, (don't remember the name.)

By the looks of the stock inside I reackon they must be ordering their stuff from the Phuket health shop as it seems the same stuff. (only slightly inflated prices) I am pretty sure they will have them there, it is the best stocked shop of its kind I have seen so far. (without the outrageous GNC prices....

Alternativley buy direct from the Phuket health store, I have used them a ot now, run by a westrn guy and they deliver the stuff free of charge within a couple of days...

Thanks a million for this. Found it just before that Bike shop on the right. Sandys Health Store i think was the name, they had a couple of different selections, small snack bars and 80-85g bars. The large ones were 150b but if you buy 5 you get one free. They were low on the bar i wanted as i was ordering a bunch but they said they would keep me a box when the next order comes in. Big shop, didnt really look around but it seems to have a ton of stuff. Thanks once again

Thanks a million for this. Found it just before that Bike shop on the right. Sandys Health Store i think was the name, they had a couple of different selections, small snack bars and 80-85g bars. The large ones were 150b but if you buy 5 you get one free. They were low on the bar i wanted as i was ordering a bunch but they said they would keep me a box when the next order comes in. Big shop, didnt really look around but it seems to have a ton of stuff. Thanks once again

No worries, but as I said their stock looks exactly to me like they get it from the Phuket heath shop, which is free delivery, so if u wanted to save a few pennies ???

But in Chiang Mai this is by far the best place I have found up till now.

Edited by wildpikey

I had a look and there actually the same price for the bars, im sure some of the other stuff is probably cheaper. This is one of the bars i bought http://www.phukethea...product=1461718

I paid 150 x 10 = 1,500 but got 2 free so i got 12 for 1,500 so more convenient for me to just buy local but nice to have a backup option in case the local guys are out of stock. Incidentally the Phuket store are out of stock for those right now but there is a better bar the Chiang Mai store sells that Phuket store dont seem to have, its the same size, about 80 calories less per bar, 1/2 the calories from fat, has 1/2 the fat and saturated fat, has 4g of fibre compared with 0g,1g of sugar compared with 9g from the other one. The carbs/protein for the bar i like is 30g for each, for the other bar its only 20g of carbs to 30gs of protein. But other than the carbs it has much less of all the bad stuff. This is the bar ive asked them to keep me a box of when it comes in.

I could be wrong about this and probably am but someone told me if the level of carbs to protein was similar it releases slower into your system and keeps you full longer. So i wonder is it better to have 30 protein/30 carbs or 30 protein/20 carbs?

Thinking about it would probably make more sense if there was more protein and less carbs, i imagine carbs give you an instant fullfillment but then you might crash and crave so maybe better to get a bar with low carb and reasonaly high protein. Im using it as a dietary supplement, 1/2 a bar a day as a snack, i know fruit is a better option but i found these bars keep you fuller for longer but with fruit im hugry within 30 mins or less so they really help. Where there very handy is when you have a busy day, or are on the road and dont have time to cook for yourself, instead of grabbing something unhealthy if i have a bar with me i can use it to stop me falling off the wagon. I know there is lots of healthy thai food but they use a lot of sugar and oil in their food so its hard to know what calories your actually eating so i prefer to cook for myself so i know what calories im eating.

p.s they definitely had a better range of bars than i can find on Phuket so im not so sure they're just selling Phukets stuff but one of their suppliers are probably the same. Any help from everyone was very much appreciated.

Edited by mrireland

Ha ha, there is certainly a science behind it, I have been doing a lot of research recently, what you need to know can easily be found on the internet, basically it all depends on your aims and what you are doing..

Happy surfing..

re .. U can't miss it, it has big protein powder banners right outside of the shop.

is this the place ? coz when i took this pic in july last year it was a pharmacy

if yes ?

its the shop to the left of the thai military bank for anyone else looking for it

dave2

post-42592-0-42599700-1341453505_thumb.j

post-42592-0-98748000-1341453540_thumb.j

There's a new supplement shop up on 3rd? floor of KSK near central on the way to sportsworld I believe, if not, try second in that location. I didn't compare prices.

Saw that yesterday, it's the third floor as u say. Just a few things in there, it mainly sells male grooming products!!

The supplements they have are "very" expensive also, on par with GNC, somewhere to avoid I would imagine.

If you can't find what you're looking for, have you considered making your own? We aren't talking rocket science here. As long as you don't need them to have long shelf life, it's easy (15-20 minutes) and healthy to whip up a batch of a few dozen to store in your fridge. Not even any cooking needed for most recipes.

...where to find those recipes?