Thai>Cambodai>Laos>Thai + Scooter

Sydneycraig

probably a stupid plan but been wanting to do for a while now....phuket to cambodia to laos and back into thai.....will be going on my trusty pcx 125.

current 2nd (30 day extended) double tv runs out 3rd of august so plan to leave by the 1st in case of any "issues"

plan to go into cambo from aranyaprathet-poipet --- then stung treng in camobo to dong kralar in laos ---- the leave savannakhet where i will get another double TV and back into thai...

think i can get (i have australian passport) 30 days on arrival at cambo and laos?? would most likely spend 2 weeks in each exploring a bit...

has anyone in phuket done this trip relatively recently and can advise? would be good to meet up for some beers (on me of course) to gather info if anyone has..

It's doable, at least for the Cambodian part, if you get the paperwork right. Insurance papers valid for all countries is one requirement. An international driver's lisence is a good idea. In Cambodia, they're not too fuzzy about it... until something happens. Be aware also that Cambodia doesn't allow headlights switched on during daytime (at least they didn't the last time I checked), so you'd have to fix that. I don't think you'll find parts for your PCX many places in Cambodia except maybe Phnom Penh, so if something vital brakes, you might have a problem.

I would recommend going into Cambodia through one of the southern border crossings since the area around the Aran/Poipet crossing is rather boring on both sides of the border. The Phong Nam Ron - Phsar Prom crossing is fine, and the road on the Cambodian side down to Battambang is excellent with many possible detours into the mountains in the south. Be aware of the mosquitos though. It might not be 100% free of malaria if you go off the beaten track. There's also a rather spectacular temple on a little mountain in Pailin that is worth seeing.

thanks for the info - not quite as simple as a-b-c!! but im still looking into it and hopefully canget things sorted...

i have an IDP (international licence) from oz, by all accounts can get the compulsory country insurance on the borders for to cambo.laos<$50us?

im flexible as to where i go, just want to go and have fun on the bike! i need to visit laos (savannakhet) to get my double TV but beyond that im flexible...maby can just go phuket>BKK>savannakhet>around laos> and back into thai up north via chang mai/rai and back down..

if i do this ill make a blog so its a bit easier for others to follow!!

Yeah I second Samran's post. There seems to be restrictions on taking scooters across to Laos, as there are bringing Lao registered scooters into Thailand (indeed, I have never seen a Thai motorcycle in Laos or a Lao motorcycle in Thailand). Plenty of cars and trucks make the crossing in both directions though and strangely, scooters from Vietnam are allowed into Laos (at least near the border) and vice versa, but that could be because hardly any Vietnamese own cars anyway? Similarly, I saw an expat on a Phnom Penh registered bike near Wat Phu Champasak in southern Laos, but that bike was a 250cc dirt bike and not a scooter. I have never seen any sort of private Thai registered vehicle (whether car or motorcycle) inside Cambodia and I've travelled overland from Bangkok to Phnom Penh many times.

With ownership of the bike or at least a letter that confirms that the owner allows you to temporarily export the vehicle, you should be OK, but check with the Land Transport Department at Mo Chit in Bangkok to make sure that you can indeed take a scooter across to Laos - what I am quite sure about though is that at the busiest crossing, which is Nong Khai (T)-Tha Deua or Friendship Bridge 1 near Vientiane (LAO) scooters are not being allowed to cross at this time, but I have heard of foreigners that have managed to take Thai registered scooters across to Laos at more remote crossings. I'd say try any crossing without a bridge, such as the southern Chong Mek (for Pakse) crossing for entry, which is also close to Cambodia too (I have crossed by car back and forth at Chong Mek). Coming back to Thailand with a scooter tends to be easier than leaving for Laos. Keep that in mind and you should find that crossing back into Thailand from say, Savannakhet across Friendship Bridge 2 may be allowed, but not the other way round.

Thai tourist visa in Savannakhet shouldn't be a problem and VOA for both Laos and Cambodia is easy as - I'd worry about your bike problem first. Although I do applaud your sense of adventure. I have experience driving between Thailand, Laos and Vietnam, but in a car so the requirements are different.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

thanks for the info - i have to go phuket to BKK anyhow so i guess a visit to the loas/cambo embassies to get answers makes sense....if i cant take into either then i just leave it somewhere and pickup on the way back....dont like buses tho;)

anyone know about taking the scoot into cambo then laos - im reading a lot of conflicting info!!

visas for me im not worried about, can get VOA for cambo and laos (or just pick up both in BKK) and a double TV for back into thai seems no issues in laos either....

but the vital thing being my little pcx and bringing it with me...!!!

worst case i get to cambo border and its a defo no go - i pay a guesthouse to look after it and get on trains and buses and pick it up on the way back.....or skip cambo and head to loas and do the same same there.

but i have read enough people doing similar trips on thai registered bikes so must be a way...info overload!!

and of course its not going to rain when i go...!!!! :)

Edited by Sydneycraig

anyone know about taking the scoot into cambo then laos - im reading a lot of conflicting info!!

visas for me im not worried about, can get VOA for cambo and laos (or just pick up both in BKK) and a double TV for back into thai seems no issues in laos either....

but the vital thing being my little pcx and bringing it with me...!!!

worst case i get to cambo border and its a defo no go - i pay a guesthouse to look after it and get on trains and buses and pick it up on the way back.....or skip cambo and head to loas and do the same same there.

but i have read enough people doing similar trips on thai registered bikes so must be a way...info overload!!

and of course its not going to rain when i go...!!!! smile.png

I was planning to do the same trip, and went to Pattaya immigration and they said .."for Cambo all you need is the green book for your bike, you get insurance at the border, you have to fill in an export form for the bike(don't loose this)as you have to re import it on return.And you can drive on dipped headlights only....no main beam. hope this helps

Read a few places now a combodian license is required to ride there... Idp not valid ?!

The staff at the rental firm I use in PP told me that international license is OK. That or a Cambodian license is necessary to get an insurance valid in Cambodia, or so I was told. One can actually rent a bike in Cambodia without one, but without insurance.

I had a friend who drove from Hua Hin to Penang in Maylasia on a motorbike. It took him 5 days to get there and back and he crashed twice. He said it was fun experience of sorts, but that he would never do it again.