Phoenix Millionaire Dies Moments After Being Convicted Of Arson

News_Editor

Phoenix millionaire dies moments after being convicted of arson < br />

2012-06-30 00:27:30 GMT+7 (ICT)

PHOENIX, ARIZONA (BNO NEWS) -- A former millionaire died in a courtroom in Phoenix on Thursday afternoon, just moments after being found guilty of arson and apparently ingesting something which may have caused his death, officials said.

Michael Marin, 53, was convicted of Arson of an Occupied Structure in Maricopa County Superior Court on Thursday. Wearing scuba gear to escape the flames, he burnt down his own $3.5 million mansion after running into financial trouble in 2009, according to local media reports on Friday.

Once fire officials arrived on scene, they discovered several areas inside the structure where a fire had been ignited, according to KNXV-TV. Officials said Marin owed payments on the home that he was unable to make. Prosecutors argued that his motive was to collect insurance on the home.

After the verdict, while lawyers were arguing aggravating factors in the case, Marin, who was known locally as "Burning Man", appeared to swallow an unknown liquid. Within moments, his face turned red and he began to convulse. He soon collapsed and was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-06-30

Come to think of it, this isn't a bad idea. Before a verdict is read, place a small bottle of poison in front of the defendant. When the guilty verdict is read, and he is suddenly in a state of high emotion and fear of going to prison that he may choose to drink. As he would be saving the taxpayers millions of dollars, part of the deal could be to give the next of kin some kind of small cash award. Just for added incentive. It would cut down on prison population too. A winner all around!

Come to think of it, this isn't a bad idea. Before a verdict is read, place a small bottle of poison in front of the defendant. When the guilty verdict is read, and he is suddenly in a state of high emotion and fear of going to prison that he may choose to drink. As he would be saving the taxpayers millions of dollars, part of the deal could be to give the next of kin some kind of small cash award. Just for added incentive. It would cut down on prison population too. A winner all around!

Agreed !

I read the story and thought that the defendant showed immense character, he decided at the outset that he wasn't going to be pushed any further down the chain of life and he planned accordingly - I'm not supporting suicide necessarily but I do admire the courage of his convictions.

Now waiting for the comments about how incompetent American cops are to let a defendant into a courtroom with a vial of poison. Wait... I forgot this is TV... in this world, only Thai cops are incompetent ermm.gif

I read the story and thought that the defendant showed immense character, he decided at the outset that he wasn't going to be pushed any further down the chain of life and he planned accordingly - I'm not supporting suicide necessarily but I do admire the courage of his convictions.

So no problem with over borrowing on his mansion, not his fault blah blah blah. What planet do you live on?

So the people he borrowed money from are now out of pocket - yup, some conviction that is.

So no problem with over borrowing on his mansion, not his fault blah blah blah. What planet do you live on?

So the people he borrowed money from are now out of pocket - yup, some conviction that is.

That's a first for TV, a poster who is sympathetic towards banks! As for the rest of it, I wouldn't expect you to understand the principle involved since it's complex.

Banks employ people, if the bank fails then people become unemployed.

Which bit don't you understand?

Banks fail when they make bad business decisions, fail to hedge their risks or overextend, in which case they deserve to fail, it's a shame about the people aspect but sh*t happens.

But the article is not about banks, I know you missed it but the clue to the nature of the piece is cunningly hidden in the first para where it suggests he committed suicide as soon as he heard the verdict at his trial. I think that action alone, to have planned such an event, took great courage on his part, he didn't spend much time in anticipation, instead he identified the exact point and the right circumstances under which he would end his life and he acted on cue. The courage of his convictions at that point is to be admired, I think.

As for the rest of it: did he over extend, did he screw up his life, did he break the law, did he make mistakes? Don't know and don't care at this juncture, just making an observation about his final actions. Finally, you'll forgive me for having an opinion on these things, I know it upsets people who are only able to shout abusively and not form their own opinions but what can be said. Over and out.

I know you missed it but the clue to the nature of the piece is cunningly hidden in the first para where it suggests he committed suicide as soon as he heard the verdict at his trial. I think that action alone, to have planned such an event, took great courage on his part, he didn't spend much time in anticipation, instead he identified the exact point and the right circumstances under which he would end his life and he acted on cue. The courage of his convictions at that point is to be admired, I think.

I'm not sure about the courage of his convictions part, but I don't really blame him for burning the house down that he lost a lot of money on (if no one was inside) and it took courage to drink that poison as far as I'm concened. I guess that if he has something to answer for, it will be in another place.

"As he would be saving the taxpayers millions of dollars," - nonsense - who told you that????

On an individual conviction basis, the amount of money saved depends on the length of sentence, how many years in prison, any appeals process, etc. Multiple convictions taken over the course of a budget year it could certainly save many millions.

I know you missed it but the clue to the nature of the piece is cunningly hidden in the first para where it suggests he committed suicide as soon as he heard the verdict at his trial. I think that action alone, to have planned such an event, took great courage on his part, he didn't spend much time in anticipation, instead he identified the exact point and the right circumstances under which he would end his life and he acted on cue. The courage of his convictions at that point is to be admired, I think.

I'm not sure about the courage of his convictions part, but I don't really blame him for burning the house down that he lost a lot of money on (if no one was inside) and it took courage to drink that poison as far as I'm concened. I guess that if he has something to answer for, it will be in another place.

Well, on the grand scheme of things I am unsure a God would be too bothered about someone burning their own house down trying to clear the horrendous debt the bankers had led him and millions of others in to. All very desperate and very sad. I think God would be holding the Bankers to account for this, not the man. He is the victim. I have no sympathy for any insurance companies, at the slightest possible excuse they always try and invalidate any genuine claim in the name of profitability. A pox on them all.

Well, on the grand scheme of things I am unsure a God would be too bothered about someone burning their own house down trying to clear the horrendous debt the bankers had led him and millions of others in to. All very desperate and very sad. I think God would be holding the Bankers to account for this, not the man. He is the victim. I have no sympathy for any insurance companies, at the slightest possible excuse they always try and invalidate any genuine claim in the name of profitability. A pox on them all.

Burning the house down was a criminal act. He showed his cowardice when he performed that act, rather than trying to work his way out of the mess he had put himself in. I watched a piece on CNN yesterday saying this guy was a party player and usually ended up with the ladies in his bed. It would have taken more heroism to work hard and pay off his creditors than to pop a pill.

The bankers didn't put him in this fix. You might read the history of the Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 to discover the real cause of the housing bubble and the sub-prime mortgage mess.

Some people consider the lender has responsibility for ensuring the borrower can repay a debt, before they make the loan. I believe California are currently passing legislation to prevent mortgage lenders repossessing peoples homes in the event of a default.

America, land of the free, where the banks own many empty houses, and the people get to live in tents.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Well, on the grand scheme of things I am unsure a God would be too bothered about someone burning their own house down

The only thing God cares about is that you give as much $$ as possible to those who speak for him, ordained or otherwise

laugh.png

I wonder what his sentence was (not mentioned in article) or would have been.

• Like 1

Some people consider the lender has responsibility for ensuring the borrower can repay a debt, before they make the loan. I believe California are currently passing legislation to prevent mortgage lenders repossessing peoples homes in the event of a default.

America, land of the free, where the banks own many empty houses, and the people get to live in tents.

You folks might want to read this.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2009-06-27/wall_street/30009234_1_mortgage-standards-lending-standards-mortgage-rates

A post has been removed.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

"As he would be saving the taxpayers millions of dollars," - nonsense - who told you that????

On an individual conviction basis, the amount of money saved depends on the length of sentence, how many years in prison, any appeals process, etc. Multiple convictions taken over the course of a budget year it could certainly save many millions.

Anything Americans do on a bureaucratic or military level, costs a whole heck of lot more than it would if reasonable people were holding the purse strings. In California, it costs nearly $50,000/yr to keep someone behind bars, and more if the person is on death row. $50,000 could support 20 families in Thailand for a year. I'm from California, and it sickens me, the way the State and Feds spend money - paying five to fifty times more than you or I would pay for things. Plus, roughly half of Americans get 'funny money' of one sort of another - including payments for bogus insurance claims.

As much as any other factor, the meltdown in the US economy and housing valuations was due to old fashioned greed by property buyers, many of whom were grabbing multiple properties, lured by amazing offers ('no money down!' 'Pay nothing for the first three years!' 'no interest loans!' etc.) from hucksters.