Cycling Over Laos Border/Putting A Mountain Bike On A Bus

sk1max

I was thinking of putting my mountain bike on the bus to Nong Khai and cycling over to Laos and cycling back to Chiang Mai.

My question is are there any problems or restrictions taking a bicycle over the border? and is it safe/convenient to put a bike under the bus?

I do a lot of cycling but have never used a bus or crossed a border.

Thanks for any advice guys.

I've never taken the bus to Nong Khai specifically, but I have had my bike on about 25 different Thai buses, mostly in northern Thailand. I've never had a problem. I always carry a pedal wrench and Allen Keys to turn the bars and stem in case the luggage bay is crowded. The usual fee for the bike is 50 baht.

There's never a problem crossing the Thai/Lao border by bike.

sk1Max...

yes, buses and bicycles go hand in hand in the Kingdom. If you are traveling from Pattaya to Nong Khai, you head to a certain bus station on Sukhumvit near Klang, called the "407 Improved."

Your butt will cost about 800 baht and your bicycle is a Laurel and Hardy Comedy Routine: Kick back and enjoy the haggle over 50 cents to $6. There is no set nor logical price for bicycles aboard buses in the Kingdom.

It varies on the phases of the moon, your karma, everyone's astrology, your smile and luck of the draw. If you ever discern a formula for bicycles-aboard-bus rates in Thailand, please post it here!

We will pay you for the decoder ring! The Rosetta Stone! 50b for your bicycle? Maybe, if your bus ride is less than 100km, Usually 200-400b. The whim of the ticket seller and the bus driver.

Whatcha gonna do? Leave your bike behind? It really is comedy hour. "Just go with the flow..." I was quoted 420b by the driver, yet charged 190b by the ticket seller.

Your own price will vary greatly.

For long rides in the Kingdom, if your bus fare is about $20-25 USD, then your bicycle will be about $7-$12.

Rough rule of thumb. Get used to popping off your front wheel. Bring bungies to secure as it will be lying on its side in the middle section of the storage compartment UNDER the sitting area. I would brace

up and pad my pedal. Yes, derailleur side up!

You cannot ride your bicycle across Friendship Bridge. Nor can you ride a motorbike across. You'll need to get aboard white jitney bus for the entrance to Laos. I did not see any bicycle racks on these buses...just get aboard WITH your bike! Act like you own the place, they don't care. Entry visa is $30 and good for 30 days.

Vientianne is flat alluvial plain. Once you head west, you WILL be doing indeterminable up and downs, called "kuehn kuehn-lang lang" or ขึ้นๆ ลงๆ

Make sure you fill up with potable water every chance you come upon. Bring electrolytes and protein powder. Bring from falangland, along with vitamin packs. Cannot obtain and too expensive in the Kingdom.

Stash some power bars and save these for Day 5 onwards. You will be walking up hills. Bring maps and your Kindle. You cannot count on a strong cell phone signal in Laos. 4G? Yeah, in 40 years, maybe.

You'll have fun. Bring battery charger for phone, iPod, AAs batteries, etc. I used to carry 2 8GB memory cards for my camera, now twin 16GB cards.

If you bring GPS, check to make sure you have a Laos map. The SE Asia Map set excludes Laos.

You will get sick of hills. Many false summits, as in what? You climb, walk, sweat and struggle to the top, you relish the big downhill!

Not so fast...you have another 15km of climbing. Do this day in and day out. Accomodations and meals oughta be spectacular. Bring along a Tai/Laos phrasebook if you cannot speak and read Tai.

Passah Lao struck me as "slow Tai."

Commit these words to memories, write them down, make them your own: นวด "nuad"--massage.

ห้องพก "horng pak"--guesthaus.

You'll need both.

I did the terrain south of the MeKong, similar country. Build in every 3rd or 4th day as a rest day to recuperate.

Maybe catch up on email if your stopping place has a net cafe. My best day was 210km, my lousiest was 33km---but this was essentially going straight uphill.

Yes, wear a helmet, two rear red strobes.

I use three front bright white beacons. I got into night touring to beat the heat.

Bring sunblock and insect spray. A mosquito net roll up in case you have to bed down and a shower is a chimera.

You don't wanna awake covered with welts.

Have Fun! You are going at the proper time of the year.

If you have not been to Louang Prabang, the ancient Laos capital, then jump an 8 hour bus ride or flight to take in, very impressive city.

best!

jim

• Like 1

My two bikes are 26" wheel folders - one an ancient steel dahon, the other (better, lighter) a noname brand. Both set up with rear carrier. I do trips with a large bag (that came with the dahon), if it is too wet or windy, or speed is of the essence, just find a bus stop, get off the big and fold it up, put it in the bag, then buy the ticket outta hereThe only scammers who have charged my for the bike have been the staff at Pattaya North (getting a bus to BKK).

If you are crossing into Cambodge, say Trat - KohKong, it is a real pleasure to leave those moto-dups standing at the border. Probably the same where you are going...AA

• 3 weeks later...

The trip from Vientienne to Luang Prabang whilst hilly is quite ridable. It's about 160Km to Vang Viang and from memory after that there are villages and stops most of the way. The second night I recall we stayed at a place called Karsi (I think?) and then it was a gruelling 130 Km to the very worst stopover I have ever expeienced. It was a bed though and better than the side of the road.

Not seeing Luang Prabang is a sin. It has to be seen!

From there moving north the first possible stop is at a Pak Meng sat about 85Km. There's nothing there though save for a few shops. There is a kind of resort town about twenty odd kilometers in the wrong direction which according to my recce was the most practical stopover. Back to Pak Meng the following day you will need to head for Udomxai it is only 80Km but the road is atrocious, very steep hills and very bad road surface. Udomxai is a town taken over largely by Chinese. There are hotels there and a decent meal to be had.

From there its a trip to Luang Namtha road is much better if narrow with many large trucks kicking up a lot of dust. Luang Namtha has good hotels/guest houses and the night market is the best place for a meal. In Laos learn to say Khao Jee ( a baguette with whatever) they are very good with the baking being a throw back to the occupation by the French.

Luang Namtha to Huai Xai at the border with Thailand is a good route but you'll need good legs as the last part gets hilly and there is almost noweher to stay in between the two towns. its a shade over two hundred km too.

With a bike the river crossing on a long tail boat is as easy as pie. You are now in Thailand's CHiang Rai province and around 350 Km from central Chiang Mai. Much more of everything awaits you in abundance at every turn. Send me a PM if you need more details. I live in Chiang Rai and will buy you a beer of course. (or tea if you're tt LOL)

Safe miles and big smiles.

AjarnP