Ipstar 2006

digitele

I read many posts here (all negative) except for dutch and mouse about ipstar. I ordered 512/256 star express 2 in december 2005 and it was installed this past saturday.

It had slow upload and almost 500 for download. I called them monday and it was perfect yesterday

(speedtests) all day etc. This morning it was slow again but now getting better. I'll call them again and see what happens.

Just wondering if others that have subscribed to the new ipstar have similar experiences.

More posts to come. Regards to all

Keeping this thread alive.

I'll most probably need iPSTAR in a few months for a resort i'm building.

I've PM'd a member who is on iPSTAR already and he told me that is was very bad just after the new satellite was launched, but it seemed to have improved when they came to re-allign his dish to the new bird.

I'm just a bit afraid they're going to do heavy sharing, just like on the cheap unlimited adsl packages.

So keep us posted on how speeds ar holding up throughout the day.

I'm of the same opinion as Mouse, iPSTAR is a great system, the new bird has huge capacity, but it's not easy for the local support staff to keep up high standards...

One more question: How are ping times? One of the drawbacks of satellite always has been the lag, normally pings will always be over 1000 msec. Just curious the found some technical way to improve on this with the new bird...

One more question: How are ping times? One of the drawbacks of satellite always has been the lag, normally pings will always be over 1000 msec. Just curious the found some technical way to improve on this with the new bird...

Unless they figure out a way to improve over the speed of light, pings are going to always be the worst possible. You have 4 long trips through outer space for a ping; you to the satellite, the satellite to earth, the earth back to the satellite and the satellite to your pc. And the new bird is WAY, WAY out there. Then you add on top of that the normal latency everyone else with wired connections suffers from going through thai isp equipment, oversubscribed lines, bandwidth speed limiters, and finally getting to the server you want on the other side of the ocean... Not a pretty picture I am afraid.

Unless they figure out a way to improve over the speed of light, pings are going to always be the worst possible. You have 4 long trips through outer space for a ping; you to the satellite, the satellite to earth, the earth back to the satellite and the satellite to your pc. And the new bird is WAY, WAY out there. Then you add on top of that the normal latency everyone else with wired connections suffers from going through thai isp equipment, oversubscribed lines, bandwidth speed limiters, and finally getting to the server you want on the other side of the ocean... Not a pretty picture I am afraid.

The pings average 1000ms. 1/2 second up 1/2 second down. My speed after I spoke to them (nicely) are 90% of advertised 512/256 star express 2. I use a net2phone dialer on my pc and headset and all calls have been clear. The delay is their, but nothing of what I feared for VOIP.

Surfing and downloads are fine. It will be better when they add more international gateway capacity.

If you look at csloxinfo's website - check network status the real feed is 155Mbps on a SingTel fiber.

That will not be enough when they really have alot of subscribers.

I was on Koh Samet last week and walked in to a "high speed" internet shop on IP Star. It cost me 20 baht to learn that my home dialup connection wass much faster.

I walked a few doors down, another IP Star "high-speed" internet shop where I did not have to test it as the shop's owner told me it was down.

Between these two shops there was sort of a Thaksin shrine with a giant picture of the man. I guess you can throw stuff or stare at him while you wait for pages to load :o

BP's Database guy who writes about open source once made rough calculations - Ipstar will be overloaded if Thailand gets 3G and 10% of users will be using it at the same time on mobile phones. When it was designed the capacity seemed like enormous but not anymore.

It might turn out a total flop with no customers. I doubt that Aussies or Kiwis are dying for satellite internet. Surely it's easier than landlines through the outback but how many people live there?

Burma also doesn't sound like a big potential.