Only Barks Or Will They Attack?

sante

third world

Noun: The developing countries of Asia, Africa, and Latin America.

That's us.

I might add that the dogs around me here are conditioned to be more aggressive to someone carrying a stick or other weapon. It makes sense, all these people carrying weapons train the animals to this. People who are open-handed may be barked at (particularly if they are Thai), but not "rushed."

It's ironic that the very "protection" that people carry ends up training the dogs to be warier and perhaps more aggressive.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

havent gotten the impression, that any of those dogs is trained...

the problem is, that everyone lets their dogs run at the sidewalk...

some people dont have a fence, but there is at least one house nearby, they have a 2 meter high wall or more...

their two dogs are OUTSIDE at night, in front of the gate...

why do passerbys have to deal on the public sidewalk with their freaking dogs?

i like dogs, but i believe those dogs should be just "knocked out"... end of...

• Like 2

This thread reminds me that it's best to stay away from the third world... ermm.gif

from pedantic corner:

you're right but Thailand isn't third world whistling.gif

It's not ?. huh.png

What makes a nation third world?

Despite everevolving definitions, the concept of the third world serves to identify countries that suffer from high infant mortality, low economic development, high levels of poverty, low utilization of natural resources, and heavy dependence on industrialized nations. These are the developing and technologically less advanced nations of Asia, Africa, Oceania, and Latin America. Third world nations tend to have economies dependent on the developed countries and are generally characterized as poor with unstable governments and having high rates of population growth, illiteracy, and disease. A key factor is the lack of a middle class—with impoverished millions in a vast lower economic class and a very small elite upper class controlling the country’s wealth and resources. Most third world nations also have a very large foreign debt.

(What makes a nation third world? from Encyclopedia of World Geography)

but back to doggies... woof woof

Edited by binjalin

Binjalin, I really don't care if it's the night bazaar or the night bizarre (I have always found it bizarre anyway...), but can you tell me how you ask for "pepper spray" in Thai and where exactly do you buy it?... I have been searching for something to protect myself against stray dogs for years......

Thanks.

Obviously not with much enthusiasm.

Years you say?? yet its still impossible to locate??

You've been told its in the night market,..yet you would prefer to buy it in a shop.

Honestly, even with pepper spray, you personally will still mess it up and blame the dog.

Whilst you are recovering from animal bites perhaps you can 'ask' (demand) for some cake at a somtam stand, or perhaps some fruit from a butcher.

As for your 'stay away from the 3rd world' comment......

Edited by edgarfriendly

It's real easy to reduce the risk of contracting Rabies...

Two injections, about three months apart give fairly sound protection for three years. Of course, some doctors say two years while others say five. I like to go with three. Make me feel just a wee bit safer. I don't worry so much about the dogs any more.

I believe you have a false sense of security. if you get the pre-exposure prophylaxis that you are talking about, you still need 2 injections if you are bitten by a stray dog or other animal. Without the post exposure vaccination, you can still get rabies and die. The pre-exposure vaccination only reduces the number of injections you need if you are bitten or come in contact with an infected animal.

Thanks! I'm happy enough with that. I'll take any and all help I can get. I don't believe that any vaccinations are 100% effective against any illness, but if a shot can reduce the chance, or reduce the treatment after the fact, I'm happier for it. The cost is negligible, the inconvenience of getting the vaccination minor, and the probable positive outcome makes it worthwhile to me.

Getting nipped on the calf as you walk away?

There is no real right answer, you have to feel out the situation each time.

I get this problem often around where I am. I usually just keep walking if they are at a distance barking, say body length or even arms length away. Also, if they start barking as I pass or walk away it's most likely benign. The danger seems to be when they are out on the street and see you and begin barking as you approach. This makes them anger because it looks like you are attacking I guess.

Another issue is always stepping around their head or tail when they are lying in the gutters and sidewalks. Have not figured out yet which scares them more, stepping in front of their face, or stepping behind them where they can't see.

The top dog will be the one closest and will get up close behind you and bark and act like they are going to bite you leg, wearing shorts of course. Last time I turned around and challenged because he was getting to close. I did a kick to his face but he was just out of range, kept barking. Backup plan was to grab him and throw him into oncoming cars which is a good decisive move if you can do it quickly.

Don't risk rabies, you got to take 'em out if he gets to close. You can probably kill these weak mal-nurished dogs with a decent rock throw to the head if you have some arm strength.

In my experience they do not really roam fortunately, but are almost always in a specific spot, usually their lot or house. So you can easily adjust your route down another street next time.

Edited by jacktrip

You would kill a dog because it got close and you think it might bite you or have rabies? Sounds like your the one acting rabid and would suggest picking you up and throwing you in front of a car if you didn't resemble your avatar

You would kill a dog because it got close and you think it might bite you or have rabies? Sounds like your the one acting rabid and would suggest picking you up and throwing you in front of a car if you didn't resemble your avatar

If it was acting aggressive, yes.

This thread truly reminds me of why I haven't been to Chiang Mai for more than two years now... Sometimes I forget and start to think about Chiang Mai as a lovely, safe, clean, westernized place...

I am most grateful to the OP - I need to be reminded of the truth every now and then...ermm.gif

If it was acting aggressive, yes.

Any perceived threat, no matter how real, misinterpreted or misunderstood (a dog might just be barking a warning as it's natural instinct to protect it's young or master) or reacting to what it feels is a threat (sensing your fear or having eye contact) esp. after perhaps being abused by humans before and you feel it is appropriate to kill it? You are either joking or just looking for an argument but if not maybe it's just karma that your being attacked.

cockroaches are killed for less...

and pls dont call that sorrybuts of four-legged-a$$holes, with their genitals hanging down to the floor "dogs"...

and to those, who suggested to throw them food...

what you think happens, when a dog approaches people aggressivly, and gets food for this? splendid idea, really...

dog owners in thailand are completely unable to manage their dogs - they are not even able to calm or quiten them down inside the house..

its bizarre, that a person cant walk on a public street or sidewalk without being attacked by that suckers...

dogs attacking people on public streets have to be killed...

Edited by ddpffft

If a stray does attack a person then that's another story and should be taken off the street. I've seen dogs barking at ppl. quite close and I just walk in between to let the humans walk away only to find out the dogs probably was just feeling threatened itself as they just stopped being aggressive. I've never been attacked and come across dogs all the time, esp. while cycling. I really believe most of these animals are just trying to get on with their lives like us and mean no harm but I'm not sure of if some of the posters are.

• Like 1

to be honest, i give a f:ck what that psycho creature thinks...

i want to walk my way, nothing else - without being attacked...

and to make this happen, i have to walk in the middle of a four-lines-road... is this ok ?

Edited by ddpffft

cockroaches are killed for less...

and pls dont call that sorrybuts of four-legged-a$$holes, with their genitals hanging down to the floor "dogs"...

and to those, who suggested to throw them food...

what you think happens, when a dog approaches people aggressivly, and gets food for this? splendid idea, really...

dog owners in thailand are completely unable to manage their dogs - they are not even able to calm or quiten them down inside the house..

its bizarre, that a person cant walk on a public street or sidewalk without being attacked by that suckers...

dogs attacking people on public streets have to be killed...

When you can't walk on a public street or sidewalk without being attacked by dogs, it means you're not in a city, but in the jungle.

That's what I meant when I mentioned the third world.

People who claim Thailand is not in the third world are living in their own imagination... or holed up in their condos.

Last month I pulled up to a friend's house and the dog next door ran up and bit me on the ankle. It broke the skin but thankfully didn't draw blood. The owners kept trying to convince me that he was a good dog and only did it because some guy on a motorcycle used to be mean to him.

Anyway, I don't get some of the suggestions here about trying to be an aggressive dog's best friend. I usually am able to stare them down but some dogs want to attack and people should always be ready for that and have some idea of how they can protect themselves even if they have to be physical and maybe even hurt their attacker. To be anything else is frankly naive.

• Like 2

If a dog locks its jaw try to stick your finger up its anus. There are sensors in the interior of the anus which, when stimulated, cause a gasping reflex. And if the dog is gasping, its jaws can't be clenched down on your arm..........unless of course it has an iffy owner and is used to it.

If a dog locks its jaw try to stick your finger up its anus. There are sensors in the interior of the anus which, when stimulated, cause a gasping reflex. And if the dog is gasping, its jaws can't be clenched down on your arm..........unless of course it has an iffy owner and is used to it.

Yikes.. Maybe I'll consider just lettin' it have the damned leg. huh.png

Edited by stacks

Last month I pulled up to a friend's house and the dog next door ran up and bit me on the ankle. It broke the skin but thankfully didn't draw blood. The owners kept trying to convince me that he was a good dog and only did it because some guy on a motorcycle used to be mean to him.

Anyway, I don't get some of the suggestions here about trying to be an aggressive dog's best friend. I usually am able to stare them down but some dogs want to attack and people should always be ready for that and have some idea of how they can protect themselves even if they have to be physical and maybe even hurt their attacker. To be anything else is frankly naive.

Not an expert but have had them most my life and agree not try to befriend any aggressive dogs but all all I heard and experienced is not to have eye contact with them as it is confrontational as it is w/an aggressive human

Yikes.. Maybe I'll consider just lettin' it have the damned leg. huh.png

laugh.png As I said the owner might do it on a regular basis at home, so it might not work.

Edited by uptheos

Not an expert but have had them most my life and agree not try to befriend any aggressive dogs but all all I heard and experienced is not to have eye contact with them as it is confrontational as it is w/an aggressive human

That's probably true I'm sure and like I said, it's a first step. Some dogs are going to back off if they sense you're going to fight but will bite if they think you are afraid. I think a dog that's really ready to take some meat out of you no matter what would fall into the "beat them off with a stick" category.

Many years ago the dogs in Thailand used to bug me. Once I got a really bad stomach problem, probably from some food. After a day or so I weakly walked to the local restaurant to get some food, because I was starving. The dogs sensed my weakened condition and went after me.

Weeks later, I was coming home late, in the rain, (couldn't get a taxi or tuk-tuk that day), and a dog suddenly barked ferociously at me and scared the crap out of me, mostly because it come from no where. Well, I walked some steps, picked up a rock, and (having played a lot of baseball in my youth) expertly pitched it at the dog. I think I got it's ass (it was so dark and raining I could only see the general form). It howled.

Mysteriously, my problem with the soi dogs stopped after that. Maybe I just had an attitude of, F with with me an I might F with you back, or something. They could detect I wasn't going to take shit.

Now I'm new again and my mojo has warn off. I have to remind myself it's better to step on a dog that is sleeping on the sidewalk than cross the road to avoid it. Actually, yesterday, I was innocently walking down the street and a dog I hand't seen barked loudly at me from a hole-in-the-wall shop. I don't know why, but I was a little stressed yesterday, and, I briefly lost my cool. I turned and faced it and barked back, so to speak, "shut the F___ up!" It did. I actually find Thais very polite, as compared to the citizens in the last country where I lived, but they allow their dogs to be ferociously rude. I guess that's just a Buddhist way of not controlling them. Probably it's the dogs karma. It did something wrong in the past life, and so did I or it wouldn't have barked at me.

Yeah, barking at me kinda' bugs me, but when they startle me, coming out of nowhere, that kind of pisses me off a bit. It's partly because if they've succeeded in shaking me up a bit they might thing I'm scared of them and get bolder. Then I gotta face them down or quietly turn tail. Actually I don't think they are worthy of my attention, so resent having to give so much of it to them. Hopefully over a little more time I'll get back my former thicker skin and be as oblivious as the Thais.

I agree but I but I think one of the points being discussed is how one establishes or what defines "a dog that is ready to take some meat out of you". Showing fear is definitely is not a good idea but I would not recommend making them feel threatened as a way to express this.

Probably it's the dogs karma. It did something wrong in the past life, and so did I or it wouldn't have barked at me.

A good account except for the above bit...........you're joking right?

It's the Thai perspective, not mine. Yeah, I'm joking. I'm not sure I'm capable of not joking.

I agree but I but I think one of the points being discussed is how one establishes or what defines "a dog that is ready to take some meat out of you". Showing fear is definitely is not a good idea but I would not recommend making them feel threatened as a way to express this.

I don't want to threaten, hurt or abuse dogs. I love dogs. But there is a point in which you have to be prepared to take steps to protect yourself. The great thing about this conversation is that we all have the choice to handle the situations as we think is best.

I guess what I'm saying is to literally "walk softly and carry a big stick".

Right. I wouldn't want to go around trying to intimidate the poor specimens. However, even if they aren't going to try to take a piece out of me, the ones that bark loudly and startle me are being aggressive and trying to intimidate the human. I guess one needs to have a confident, fearless indifference. That's a little hard if one actually feels a little uncomfortable when a small pack of dogs, after one passes them, trail one with their breath on one's calves.

Recently I was at a rather secluded temple in the outskirts of Bangkok, and there were shitloads of hell hounds there. They were in packs as well. I got kinda spooked by them after a while, but noticed Thai kids totally indifferent to them, as indifferent as I would be to flies. And the dogs left them completely alone, or if they trailed them, the kids didn't care. I walked down one very narrow lane and a large, ugly-ass black dog squared off with me, cutting me off. It barked like made. I stopped. A Thai man calmly walked past it.

Point is developing the right attitude, once one can muster it, probably cuts out most of the problem.

soi dogs will eat anything if you live in an area that is over run try feeding them im sure if you ask around you will find a place that sells poison that

the dogs cant detect by taste or smell before you all start saying im cruel and they have a rite to live see how you feel if one of your kids gets bitten

i used to live in samui there was a few dogs that became a problem after a while the police got sick of people complaining so they took care of them

another option to consider

I have two young boys and I've taught them not to be afraid, esp. when we are cycle together in areas we don't know. I'll ride first and speak friendly to the growling or barking dog and they usually just stop or back down a bit. Never been bite and do think if you are killing dogs that have not bite you you are cruel and weak.