Question About Overstay Fees When Departing From Airport

I didn't see any topic regarding this recently so I'm just curious if the rates of overstay are still 500 baht a day and capped at 20000 baht.

Do I need anything else besides the cash and the eticket showing I'm actually leaving the country to the immigration officer at the airport?

Yes, the rates are still 500 p/d capped at 20,000 baht. The cash and airplane ticket is enough, make sure you go early enough just in case there are any other issues. And do your best to avoid being stopped by the police on the way to the airport.

Edited by Ohyesuare

Yes, the rates are still 500 p/d capped at 20,000 baht. The cash and airplane ticket is enough, make sure you go early enough just in case there are any other issues. And do your best to avoid being stopped by the police on the way to the airport.

The trouble with going "early enough" is that you can't see immigration until you've checked in and you can't do that until the check-in opens 3 hours before your flight. So, say 10 minutes to check in, a generous 50 to get to your gate, leaves 2 hours to queue up and deal with immigration. SHOULD be fine, and I haven't heard of problems there but...................

• 2 months later...

The trouble with going "early enough" is that you can't see immigration until you've checked in and you can't do that until the check-in opens 3 hours before your flight. So, say 10 minutes to check in, a generous 50 to get to your gate, leaves 2 hours to queue up and deal with immigration. SHOULD be fine, and I haven't heard of problems there but...................

That depends on which airline you are flying. I checked with Thai air and they sad you can check in at least 6 hours before or almost any time on the same day. YMMV

• 3 weeks later...

I had overstayed last year by 4 days, will I get any static coming through immigration in November 29/30th 2012?

*Also my flight lands at Nov 29th 11:45pm bkk time but i doubt i'll be through immigration by 12:30am on the 30th. Does my stay start from time i get stamp in passport or by time plane touches down on tarmac?

Thanks in advance! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I recently spoke to someone who had overstayed their visa by 41 days. I asked him to e-mail me and let me know how he got on at the airport on the way out. Once he was home, he e-mailed me and said that there were no issues at the airport. They just filled in the paperwork and he handed over 20,000 baht, his passport was stamped and he went on his way. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently spoke to someone who had overstayed their visa by 41 days. I asked him to e-mail me and let me know how he got on at the airport on the way out. Once he was home, he e-mailed me and said that there were no issues at the airport. They just filled in the paperwork and he handed over 20,000 baht, his passport was stamped and he went on his way. Hope this helps.

The same thing happened to me a few years back when I thought a 1 year visa meant I could stay one year. Did not realise have to do visa run every 90 days. I did the same paid the maximum 20,000B and then carried on to departure lounge after having passport stamped.

Just to add, IME (few years ago) they don't bother to collect the 500B, if you're only 1 day late leaving.

Anybody experienced this recently ?

Just went through yesterday. No problem except a note on the stamp

I find it quite distasteful that people see the overstay penalties as a usable extension to their stay. You would only get fined if you went shoplifting - would you consider that appropriate?

i it is a risky option, if caught before getting to immigration leaving the country the consequences are far more severe, otherwise thats the law. Personally its not an option i would consider.

"I find it quite distasteful that people see the overstay penalties as a usable extension to their stay."

I agree, and believe that the fine should be high enough to be considered a penalty. If the penalty was 5,000THB/day, without a cap, no one would be laughing.

I have overstayed twice. The first time was a few years ago. I overstayed one day because the month had 31 days and I didn't count correctly. It took 25 minutes to get out of passport control. They asked me a lot of questions over and over about my stay and why I was there an extra day. I told them it was just a mistake and I had booked my tickets months earlier and couldn't change my flight. I had only been to Thailand 3 times before and it was a little scary. They seemed so angry! They finally let me go without a fine and I ran to my plane. The second time was last year (or the year before?) in the winter. I overstayed 4 days because of bad weather in Chicago. The ORD didn't close, but because of the amount of snow my mother told me to wait a few days before coming home. I was pretty nervous about talking to the overstay guy. My reason for staying seemed a little thin. Well, he barely looked at me. He didn't care at all why I overstayed or that it was the second time. I paid the 2000 baht and was finished in 2 minutes.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

"I find it quite distasteful that people see the overstay penalties as a usable extension to their stay."

I agree, and believe that the fine should be high enough to be considered a penalty. If the penalty was 5,000THB/day, without a cap, no one would be laughing.

They are obviously quite happy to take the overstay money otherwise things would change. It's a kind of 'grey area' law that as long as you go to the airport with the overstay money and a ticket you will be free to pass, no matter how long you have overstayed. Quite a few maximum overstays are processed each day and added up over a year it is a substantial amount of money. Right now they will gladly take the cash.

I find it quite distasteful that some people are so self-righteous that they can equate stealing someones property, causing them economic loss, with staying around on a patch of concrete on the planet they were born on a little longer than they said they would. As long as the overstayer is not up to no good then I say good luck to them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hardly likely to be let in next time though !! Try overstaying in the EU and see if you get in the next time quite so easily.

Just have the money for the fine ready. This will show that you are aware of the rules. When this happened to me (2,000 for 4 days) no explanation was necessary and I was greeted with a smile. Never had any problem with reentry afer that.

Edited by Hawaiian

Just have the money for the fine ready. This will show that you are aware of the rules. When this happened to me (2,000 for 4 days) no explanation was necessary and I was greeted with a smile. Never had any problem with reentry afer that.

Sure a few days overstay for Sickness etc am sure is no problem but paying up to the 20,000 Baht I guess you better have a good reason......!!

Why would Thai immigration let anybody back in.....??

Sure a few days overstay for Sickness etc am sure is no problem but paying up to the 20,000 Baht I guess you better have a good reason......!!

Because they like making an easy 20,000 baht.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hardly likely to be let in next time though !! Try overstaying in the EU and see if you get in the next time quite so easily.

He will have no problems being let in the next time. The only people that really seem to care about foreigners overstaying their tourist visas and having no more punishment than a fine at the airport are a few old bores on thaivisa.
  • Like 1

The same reason Australia allows loads of asylum seekers into Australia each year.

Economics stimulus. Why keep someone out who will come back and spend more money???

over the years i have overstayed NUMEROUS times, from a couple of days to a few months all on the same passport - pay the money, sign the receipt and off to departures. - never had any hassle whatsoever. never had any attitude from the immigraion staff taking the cash other than a wry smile and raising of eyebrows when i was 7 months overstayed, which suggests to me that they are happy to take the fines. can't think why tho wink.png ....

mind you most of those instances were a few years back when the fine was 200B/day, and then if you were looking an overrstay of say 30 days it did used to be almost as cheap to overstay as it was to go and get re-enrty visas .....