4Th Of July

kcore

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dukes (the same ppl. as River Market) sent me this pm

"We will be having music, food, beer and probably fireworks starting at 4 at The River Market. Fireworks should start at about 7:45. No fee and just order as usual. We'll have burgers, dogs, ribs and pizza along with Thai food."

Dukes (the same ppl. as River Market) sent me this pm

"We will be having music, food, beer and probably fireworks starting at 4 at The River Market. Fireworks should start at about 7:45. No fee and just order as usual. We'll have burgers, dogs, ribs and pizza along with Thai food."

Yes I talked to Dave the other day and he was telling me about it. They have seating for 300. Should be quite the show beautiful setting good food good and (I hope) good music and fireworks. Not to bad for a private enterprise to put on. I see they are adding typical American food to their menu. That could be a problem making a decision on what to order. Going to be like a kid in a candy store with a unlimited selection of candy but he has to eat it all at one setting.

Based on this post:

http://www.thaivisa....2/#entry5398187

I thought this event was cancelled?

-Mestizo

Nope it's on. Confused every one too. And no big publicity either, so it's pretty private, word of mouth kinda party. Suggest that people arrive early as there are very limited parking there.

I don't think it's private at all. Plenty of publicity. Lots of private emails, written up in the expat club newsletter, posted to expat club email list, and now on TV!

Edited by el jefe

Is the location on the googlemap on expatnewsletter correct? I was unaware there was a river market there. So its just south of Chedi?

It's in the same location that the VFW holds their meetings. So here is a link to the VFW page, if you scroll down about two thrids of the way you will see a map to the River Market. http://www.vfw-chiangmai.com/

Is the location on the googlemap on expatnewsletter correct? I was unaware there was a river market there. So its just south of Chedi?

Just north of the Chedi, right next to the iron bridge.

The building is only about 30 feet away from the iron bridge on the west side of the river.

If parking is a problem they might open up the parking lot right next door to it.

The party is certainly on tonight! Just had a superb lunch at River Market ... aloi mak mak.

Dave and Michael were busy allocating reserved tables although they have plenty of availability and hope for a BIG crowd. Stage is set up on the lawn ready for a live band and there's a massive amount of explosives, down by the river, for a choreographed fireworks display.

If we weren't already so full we'd go back for dinner.

re ..

Stage is set up on the lawn ready for a live band and there's a massive amount of explosives, down by the river,

hes right ... and it looks like they spent a of of baht putting this on for the americans

lets hope they have a good turn out ... and no whingers this year !

dave2

ps .. i was told fireworks set off is 8 pm ... but we all know thai time : (

post-42592-0-25448000-1341395089_thumb.j

post-42592-0-60063900-1341395130_thumb.j

post-42592-0-64810300-1341395208_thumb.j

Where is our community? Nothing from the embassy? 3 days away does nobody care. No need to comment if you are anti American on this post.
I was at the River Market a few moments ago in the afternoon the place was packed with old dudes and it's a hot afternoon.

It's quite a shame that the Americans have not been posting for events for the July 4!

Last year, due to reading on TV, I went to the July 4 celebration in Bangkok at an international school. I must say the bands playing there were really good. The food was so so, but what the heck as long as they served beer. Too bad that I had to leave early because my wife invited her sister and her grandchild there. They had to leave early, which meant me also, for the sake of the kid.

This year I'm going to miss it! Well, perhaps, we will celibrate the 4th of July next year in Chiang Mai.

All the best to all you folks.

Edited by muchogra

Where is our community? Nothing from the embassy? 3 days away does nobody care. No need to comment if you are anti American on this post.
I was at the River Market a few moments ago in the afternoon the place was packed with old dudes and it's a hot afternoon.

This list of people and organizations willing to sponsor a 4th of July celebration gets shorter every year, and this year it seems to be down to one. Go easy on the complaints people, or next year we'll be complaining that nobody wants to sponsor a 4th of July celebration.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

Considering the average age of farangs in C.M. that is not surprising.

Am I right to postulate that many Americans abroad are losing their pride? It seems that one could proudly pronounce one as an American in 1986 (the year I settled down in Asia), and prior, in this part of the world with few raising an eyebrow. The past years since forth seem not to be the case as time moves on. What's been happening?

Am I right to postulate that many Americans abroad are losing their pride? It seems that one could proudly pronounce one as an American in 1986 (the year I settled down in Asia), and prior, in this part of the world with few raising an eyebrow. The past years since forth seem not to be the case as time moves on. What's been happening?

The Bush years for one. When I lived in Europe 2002-2007, I couldn't go into a bar and say I was American without someone trying to pick a fight with me. After a while I just started saying (if I was asked) that I was Canadian.

I'm astounded how Europeans have so much disdain on Americans from the experience I have had.

The last time I was in CM, I went to a different bar than the one I visited before, but I passed through it and got stopped, but I promised to return later. All the people remembered me (I'm the "handsome man?").

I returned for 10 minutes. I bought this European guy a drink and one for myself. B160, and I called it even for 200. The European guy said he has pension amounting to B300k per month. Well, that much? He sure didn't return the hospitality after I bought his drink. They seemed looking down on me when I said I was an American. <deleted>!

I'm astounded how Europeans have so much disdain on Americans from the experience I have had.

Please don't lump them all together. Every country and every culture has idiots, but most Europeans are not pretentious bigots.

• Like 2

We just wanted to say THANKS for David for putting on the fireworks show.

We were in the area when the fireworks started and were very pleasantly surprised.

Very nice show espeically since it came out of your private pockets.

We enjoyed it very much and hope you decide to continue the tradition.

Thanks again... to Dukes and the River Market.

• Like 1