4Th Of July

kcore

I'm astounded how Europeans have so much disdain on Americans from the experience I have had.

The last time I was in CM, I went to a different bar than the one I visited before, but I passed through it and got stopped, but I promised to return later. All the people remembered me (I'm the "handsome man?").

I returned for 10 minutes. I bought this European guy a drink and one for myself. B160, and I called it even for 200. The European guy said he has pension amounting to B300k per month. Well, that much? He sure didn't return the hospitality after I bought his drink. They seemed looking down on me when I said I was an American. <deleted>!

The next time you are in Europe, try telling everyone you are a Canadian. If they still don't like you then it's probably because you are just not a likable guy and has nothing to do with being an American, lol.

This doesn't sound a very nice thing to say when I have only related my own personal experience.

Frankly, I have not yet met a bad Canadian. My sister-in-law and family are Canadians.

Now, please tell me why I would want to claim other citizenship than what I am. electrified was only making a post to add juice. As for you, you want to become a likable person? Is that it?

While I'm at it, do you mind telling us what nationality you are that you are likable?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I hit the deck, CMNightrider, you need not to tell me your nationality.

I'm quite sure that you are an American!

You sure are gainning fame!

How did you celebrate the 4th of July? Riding around on your bike?

Here's a stupid question for you, what do you rate as being the most important holiday, ( if holiday is the correct term ) in order.

Christmas Day, Easter Sunday. 4th of July, and Thanksgiving.

I've heard, for example, people say that Thanksgiving is more important than Christmas Day. What's your take on it? smile.png

Here's a stupid question for you, what do you rate as being the most important holiday, ( if holiday is the correct term ) in order.

I've heard, for example, people say that Thanksgiving is more important than Christmas Day. What's your take on it? smile.png

You are right it is a stupid question. I would have thought with you being Scottish and living here in Thailand Thanksgiving would have been on the top of the list for you. Hey I thought Scot's were supposed to be tight with there money dosen't Christmas need you to spend a little bit of money?

Remember you are in Thailand and they have a holiday for Buddhas birthday also.

Actually I am kind of on the out skirts involved with a party in December. I am frankly surprised at the resistance I see for the word Christmas. Some want to say holiday season or anniversary which it is in fact for that group. Seems like a lot of people who live over here permanently have a negative view on any Religious holiday. I am not counting in the missionaries.

But we digress were you here for the party.

Christmas is; especially if there you have children. And also economically a lot of businesses see a huge spike around the holiday season (==Christmas). Also you can add Halloween, that's got to be bigger than Easter, and probably 7/4 as well. Especially in (expat/tourist regions in) Thailand.

Personally I think Songkran eclipses all of them put together. Also you could make a case that Chinese New Year should be in there. We've already seen a big increase in Chinese visitors to Chiang Mai, I kind of look forward to seeing what will happen around the next Chinese New Year..!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

HelloDolly, please don't turn my post into a negative; clearly it needs to be making money to keep doing this. He's not a charity, nor should he be. We've seen an excellent example of how private enterprising spirit works so much better than just about anything else. It's all good.

( Or does anyone really think it isn't a great location also for Loi Krathong, and other festive occasions..)

You miss read my post I simply point out that the cost for the show must have been high

and the return money wise per table low as compared to normal operations.

I in no way inferred it was negative. If you insist on a inference it would be that Dave lost money.

Clearly he is not continuing to do this. Trust me there is no show tonight nor will there be one for a while.

Dave makes enough money that he can occasionally do some thing with out making money off of it.

Do not bother to ask me what it is if Dave wanted people to know he would tell them himself.

As for other holidays. I can not see it. There will be shows all around town.

This was a one of a kind thing that nobody would step up for so Dave did it.

I believe he did it out of the spirit the day has back in the States.

I am sorry if you feel this is negative. It is not meant to be.

Sense day one I have been telling Dave I want to reserve a table for Loi Krathong.

I do not expect Dave to put on a show I just feel it will be a great place to watch some of the other displays.

I gather the owner's name is Dave? wink.png

Correct. laugh.png

@hellodolly, it's a myth that we don't like spending money coffee1.gif

@Winnie, yes I go with that however I was asking more specifically the attitude of Americans to their own holidays. To be fair though I'd forgotten about Halloween being so massive in the States, a festival rooted in Celtic history

@hellodolly, it's a myth that we don't like spending money coffee1.gif

@Winnie, yes I go with that however I was asking more specifically the attitude of Americans to their own holidays. To be fair though I'd forgotten about Halloween being so massive in the States, a festival rooted in Celtic history

I doubt that your question arises from genuine interest, but here goes anyway. You're not going to get a consensus on which of the holidays in the US matter the most to Americans. In our family, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas were all about the same except that on Christmas the kids have Santa Claus. Other than that, all that would happen would that the immediate family would get together for a huge meal that is probably not a lot different than what Brits have every week as a Sunday Roast. But our family wasn't at all religious, if we were Christmas or Easter would probably come out on top. 4th of July, for us, was just an excuse to blow up some fireworks and to have a barbeque. That holiday seems to represent overt American patriotism more to people who have a bug up their but about Americans than to Americans themselves. Labor Day was about the same thing as the 4th of July for us except no fire works and all the kids were dreading their imminent return to school. Halloween, well maybe that's the big one for kids. When I was a kid the whole Trick Or Treating thing, and the Devils Night on the eve before, was about as much fun as fun could be.

Edited by OriginalPoster

No need to hit the deck muchogra. I rode over to the River Market to celebrate the 4th of July. Dave did a great job. I am disappointed the American Consulate wasn't there. The Consulate representatives should be ashamed they didn't participate in the July 4th celebrations.

• Like 1

My wife, nieghbors and I all had a great time at the River Market on the 4th. The special food menu we great and I was happy with the good taste and size of the food we ordered. I noticed that Michael and David were pitching in and helping the staff get the orders out to the tables thus making the event more enjoyible for us all. Considering this was put together in a short time frame, David did an outstanding job. Loved the fireworks and I hope this will become an annual event at the River Market.

I also noticed a large number of my VFW friends were there enjoying this event too. They were all happy that David stepped up to the plate and hit a home run with this event.

No need to hit the deck muchogra. I rode over to the River Market to celebrate the 4th of July. Dave did a great job. I am disappointed the American Consulate wasn't there. The Consulate representatives should be ashamed they didn't participate in the July 4th celebrations.

The consulate was hosting a fashion show at Northern Village at Airport Plaza to celebrate the 4th of July. Wonder what kind of fireworks and traditional foods they had there. Edited by retiredaamt

The consulate was hosting a fashion show at Northern Village at Airport Plaza to celebrate the 4th of July. Wonder what kind of fireworks and traditional foods they had there.

The consulate has been involved in the 4th of July celebrations in one way or another for several years. This year they did nothing. Maybe the Obama administration had something to do with the consulates lack of interest. :-(

I agree!

If Dave does it again next year, hope there's more tables.smile.png

Edited by prism
  • Like 1

Yes , I agree,^^^ It's not really a party without Govt. beurocrats in attendence. saai.gif

LOL.. Nice one. In fairness though I think I did see some blue license plates in the parking lot. So some seem to have made it over.

Are you sure they weren't from the Chinese counsellet?

Yes , I agree,^^^ It's not really a party without Govt. beurocrats in attendence. saai.gif

LOL.. Nice one. In fairness though I think I did see some blue license plates in the parking lot. So some seem to have made it over.

Are you sure they weren't from the Chinese counsellet?

It wasn't a black Mercedes Benz S class with little red flags on it.

• 10 months later...