Current Price Of Taxi Cabs, Bkk To Pats

mozzieslapper

If you take an official taxi from the official taxi stand then you are looking at 1400 Baht + 60 baht tolls.

Of course it's cheaper to get the return trip, but this is simply Bangkok Taxis who bribe the local taxi association to not go home empty, 300 baht to local taxi mafia and 500 baht for the driver (who at this point is committing an offence and is uninsured)

I have negotiated at the Taxi stand (airport) and got them down to 1000 baht and I pay the tollway. (if the price includes it, then the taxi driver may not use the motorway and pocket the money).

Next pain in the butt: When taking a taxi from Pattaya to BKK or the airport, the "middle men" than run these small "fruit stand" booths for booking a taxi have no idea what kind of taxi driver they will get for you since these booking agents send out scouts on motorbikes which chases down a taxi roaming around in Pattaya to tell him they have someone to take back to BKK. You have to make sure these drivers understand what amount they receive since the booking agent gets his share and these motorbike scouts will ask the taxi for his share also from the BKK taxi. The frustrating thing is that these guys will most likely have to stop somewhere to fill up with petrol and with my bad luck it seems there is always a line to wait in. So if you figure 90 minutes to the airport, add another 30 minutes just in case the driver has to stop for gas.

but this is simply Bangkok Taxis who bribe the local taxi association to not go home empty, 300 baht to local taxi mafia and 500 baht for the driver (who at this point is committing an offence and is uninsured)

Why would you call that a bribe? It's a smart business decision and helps to keep the cost of a taxi to the airport low and it is accepted practice here in Pattaya.

Everyone wins.

I have negotiated at the Taxi stand (airport) and got them down to 1000 baht and I pay the tollway. (if the price includes it, then the taxi driver may not use the motorway and pocket the money).

Next pain in the butt: When taking a taxi from Pattaya to BKK or the airport, the "middle men" than run these small "fruit stand" booths for booking a taxi have no idea what kind of taxi driver they will get for you since these booking agents send out scouts on motorbikes which chases down a taxi roaming around in Pattaya to tell him they have someone to take back to BKK. You have to make sure these drivers understand what amount they receive since the booking agent gets his share and these motorbike scouts will ask the taxi for his share also from the BKK taxi. The frustrating thing is that these guys will most likely have to stop somewhere to fill up with petrol and with my bad luck it seems there is always a line to wait in. So if you figure 90 minutes to the airport, add another 30 minutes just in case the driver has to stop for gas.

Use a service that the taxi drivers go to directly then, like ON Taxi, if you want a Bangkok type taxi.

Or if you want a private verhicle or want to be specific about the type of vehicle you want, then use Mr.T.

Edited by PattayaParent

but this is simply Bangkok Taxis who bribe the local taxi association to not go home empty, 300 baht to local taxi mafia and 500 baht for the driver (who at this point is committing an offence and is uninsured)

Why would you call that a bribe? It's a smart business decision and helps to keep the cost of a taxi to the airport low and it is accepted practice here in Pattaya.

Everyone wins.

Have you seen what happens to the Bangkok Taxi drivers who don't pay the local mafia?

Its not a pretty sight!

I've been using Mr. T for years. Prices always the same. 1,000 baht BKK to Pattaya and 900 baht Pattaya to BKK. Includes tolls. Does not include 100 baht tip if driver gives good service. Also another option is 124 baht for hourly direct service bus from Jomtien.

Everyone wins.

Have you seen what happens to the Bangkok Taxi drivers who don't pay the local mafia?

Its not a pretty sight!

No, I haven't seen what happens. What happens to them?

It makes perfect sense Bangkok taxi drivers who want to get some money (usually around 500 baht) to return to base should work with the local taxi business and not buck the system. I'm not surprised they may face reprisals if they get greedy and try to circumvent the system.

Back at home taxis from one city are not allowed to take fares in another city to return home. They wouldn't get away with it either if they were seen by local taxis taking fares.

It's win-win for everyone.

The taxi wins by getting some money to return to base. The customers win by getting cheaper fares. The local taxi services win by getting some commission for organising passengers.

What's your problem with this? It has nothing to do with mafia - it's common business sense.

They get pulled out of their cabs and slapped around before the police are called, then the police book them for illegal touting, therefore it is a BRIBE!

Win Win situation until the car has an accident and there is no insurance cover leaving you to foot the first 200'000 Baht of medical care that would usually be covered by a valid insurance policy but this is no different to the many other illegal taxi operators including Mr T who's cars are private cars and not licenced limousines which have different number plates such as white on green or blue on white for Vans.

They get pulled out of their cabs and slapped around before the police are called, then the police book them for illegal touting, therefore it is a BRIBE!

Strange logic. That doesn't make it a bribe at all. The Bangkok taxis independently touting for rides back home are cheating the system and deserve to be punished. They're stealing, so it's not surprising they receive some street justice. They would have received the same in many Western countries.

Bangkok taxis have no right to run around touting for rides out of their zone. They pay their commission - everyone is happy.

Edited by tropo