Sym Maxsym 400I First 1000Km Review

sgunn65

+1 nice review, sounds like a winner.

+2, thanks for the very good review its sound like a very versatile scooter. I see more and more of them in Pattaya and they are much better on the open road than a PCX because of the extra power that can get you out of a dangerous situation.

If they start make a 249cc model which one poster mention in another topic (Richard-BKK, I think) that would likely be quite cheap.

Very nice, thanks for taking the time telling us your experiences with the MAXSYM.

Seems like Maxi-Scooters are the contemporary version of the chopper style bike. Good for relaxed cruising. And instead having saddle bags you have the underseat storage. But a Maxi Scooter is much easier to navigate in todays city traffic.

The MAXSYM looks like a T-Max but is less than half the price. But the T-Myx has a 499cc Parallel-Twin engine which is one reason for its higher price.

Safety is another good point for a Maxi-Scooter. I understand your thoughts in this. Hope you have a lot nice rides on your MAXSYM.

Thanks for sharing your experience with MAXSYM with us.

I have to say that when I noticed it for the first time in the Mityon Pattaya Tai shop a few weeks ago I was a bit jealous as it looks nice but I had just bought the new PCX 150 when it came out...

The dashboard looks great and my only concern are the mirrors which, in my opinion, look much better on the 300i model. I really don't like those small silver style mirrors but I guess they can be replaced later on.

Despite their small size, are the mirrors good enough? Compared to the ones on the PCX for instance?

Does it have a start/stop function like the PCX?

I read somewhere that the tank is around 14 liters so that gives a good range if it can do around 25k/l as you mentioned.

One last question, I have only ever ridden small motorbikes here in Thailand for 4 years (the biggest being my current PCX 150); would it be reasonable based on my limited experience to make the jump to a 400cc?

Thanks and congratulations for your new bike.

Edited by joeed

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

The 400i price is 229k in Phuket, looks a great bike and so much more comfortable than the Forza!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I remember it was less than 200 k new. Possibly phuket dealer charge more.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes has Bosch ABS, looks very good build quality, in fact looks a great bike!

There will be a top case bracket available in the near future from Givi, there is not as much under seat storage as the Forza so the top case is a must(for me anyway, 12v outlet is factory fitted another must for me, I'm certainly thinking about getting one!

Edited by Alwayssunny
  • Like 1

It is pretty hard to see a comparison with either a PCX150 or a Forza! And one could be forgiven for thinking a T-Max would run ring around it! But I am sure it fills a niche for those of us who aren't well heeled enough for a T-Max.

PS: Or for the likes of me....being d@mn sure I will not be paying double what it's worth for a T-max because of the ridiculous tax.

Edited by BSJ

It is pretty hard to see a comparison with either a PCX150 or a Forza! And one could be forgiven for thinking a T-Max would run ring around it! But I am sure it fills a niche for those of us who aren't well heeled enough for a T-Max.

PS: Or for the likes of me....being d@mn sure I will not be paying double what it's worth for a T-max because of the ridiculous tax.

I could afford a T Max no problem but the servicing on the T Max is very expensive, oil change over 2300 bht oil change for the sym 300 bht, T Max price over 500k price for sym 229k yes the T Max has more power but 400cc is plenty in this country!

Edited by Alwayssunny
  • Like 2

Kind of wish they had the SYM 600 here to choose from also. I like Yamaha's and the T-max i bet is great but I bet the SYM 600 would cast less the the T-max. Just guessing.

I want to purcase a new bike. Have a 135cc yamaha now. So, a Fonza sounds perfect but temped to get a SYM 400...

So, I know this is an old thread but did not want to start a new one. Fonza 300 costs say B170...Sym 400 B219/B229....besides the 100cc what does one get for the extra B50/B60k? A extra 100cc for B60k is worth it enough but there might be more..Thanks for helping me choose.

Edited by sendbaht

I am undecided about the sym because of the fact there is only one dealer in Phuket, the service facilities ate poor, no bike lift just a small area on the side for servicing, it doesent give you confidence!!

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Well, 130cc is huge for the extra price. Plus all the other stuff mentioned. I like the look of the Fonza but seems everyone likes the look of the SYM the better. I know like I have before bought something only to wish I would have stepped up to the plate a little bit more. Well check ou the service department of the SYM shop soon.

Well, 130cc is huge for the extra price. Plus all the other stuff mentioned. I like the look of the Fonza but seems everyone likes the look of the SYM the better. I know like I have before bought something only to wish I would have stepped up to the plate a little bit more. Well check ou the service department of the SYM shop soon.

Im going to take my gf to the sym dealer and get her to question them about servicing etc I just want to know if there staff have been trained to service the sym, they sell other bike makes aswell!

Everyone I have met who owns the Forza complains about the seat, you wont complain with the sym!

I have no complaints about the forza seat, it's like riding around on my couch, I usually lay back and ride it like a cruiser

• Like 1

Been looking at the maxsym 400i and the Honda Forza, really like the sym but the dealer and service support is next to nil, only one dealer in Phuket, the staff at sym could not tell me where other service centers were other than to say "Bangkok"

The Forza is extremely well supported all over Thailand, yes it's only 270cc but that's plenty for me, I think it will be the Forza! it's a shame because the sym looks a very good bike!

Edited by Alwayssunny

Been looking at the maxsym 400i and the Honda Forza, really like the sym but the dealer and service support is next to nil, only one dealer in Phuket, the staff at sym could not tell me where other service centers were other than to say "Bangkok"

The Forza is extremely well supported all over Thailand, yes it's only 270cc but that's plenty for me, I think it will be the Forza! it's a shame because the sym looks a very good bike!

Asking a Sym dealer, where are the Sym service centers is basically asking where are the other Sym dealers... I can understand the “we don't know attitude”... You can expect that also from independent Honda dealers...

If you have a question concerning service you maybe better call Sym Thailand direct, also not all Honda dealers do service on the Forza 300 for that you best call Honda Thailand.

The Sym Thailand the telefoon is 02-613-9727, for Honda Thailand the hotline is 02-725-4000

Asking a Sym dealer, where are the Sym service centers is basically asking where are the other Sym dealers... I can understand the “we don't know attitude”... You can expect that also from independent Honda dealers...

If you have a question concerning service you maybe better call Sym Thailand direct, also not all Honda dealers do service on the Forza 300 for that you best call Honda Thailand.

The Sym Thailand the telefoon is 02-613-9727, for Honda Thailand the hotline is 02-725-4000

Okay I guess I can understand that, maybe I'm over worrying regarding needing to find help should a problem occur, Honda seem to have dealers everywhere and should you need help with a Forza problem they would I am sure be able to sort it, sym on the the other hand don't have the dealer network anywhere near as many as Honda, maybe I'm wrong and there are more sym dealers!

The SYM maxiscooters are the better bikes compared to Forza. But i visited a SYM shop in BKK two years ago (one of the few official ones that only sell SYM) and was shocked seeing their service area. It was basically looking the same as every somchai shop at the corner. Tools laying on the ground, no bike lift, mechanics sleeping somewhere. Hope this has changed now, but i wouldn't rely on it. Seems the typical thai way of starting a business. Hard to understand for westeners.