Loss Of Smell And Taste

jollyrog

Since February of this year I have lost my senses of smell and taste and I am seeking help from those who might have faced this dilemma.

I have searched this forum to no avail. I have consulted with an endocrinologist, an EENT Dr. and a neurologist to no avail.

I have had an x-ray of the heart and lungs; an EKG and an MRI of my brain to no avail. No sign of any problems.

I had rhinitis (swelling of the nasal membranes obstructing normal breathing) during Feb/Mar/Apr and bronchitis in May. I think both were virus oriented.

I have medicated since Feb with iliadin, flixonase, xyzal, maxiphed, and prednisolone for the nose/breathing problem, all prescribed by the EENT Dr.

The bronchitis passed without medication however the senses were still conspicuous in their absence.

I have not been tested by an allergist as I have been unable to locate one in Chiang Mai.

The only suggestion from the doctors I have consulted with is to increase my B12 vitamin and zinc mineral which I have done to no avail.

I am 71 years old and considered elderly by Thai standards who are quick to point out the air pollution problems in Chiang Mai are probably the cause.

In full disclosure I did smoke cigarettes for 50 years and pakalolo for 30 years, both ending in 2005. Clean and sober since.

Regardless I still ride my Trek hybrid bicycle 40 kilometers in 2 hours every Thursday. My body appears to be healthy with the two exceptions.

If you have experienced this problem would you share with me how to recover these senses.

Thank you for your time...............

Roger

A complete list of the medications you are on, please (and not just ones to treat this problem -- everything). Sometimes this is a side effect.

And just how complete is this loss? I.e. are the senses just blunted, or really completely absent?

Do a Google for: loss of taste and smell

Lots of hits, here's just one, and it's from the Mayo Clinic, which is pretty much respected:

http://www.mayoclini...d-smell/AN01198

Hmmm, try some of the other hits, Mayo's comment is kinda incomplete.

Mac

A complete list of the medications you are on, please (and not just ones to treat this problem -- everything). Sometimes this is a side effect.

And just how complete is this loss? I.e. are the senses just blunted, or really completely absent?

Mac... I have goggled and bookmarked many of the sites relative..what I have derived thus far is to increase B12 and zinc and perhaps in 40 days the senses will reappear.........no other useful info.

Sheryl.......I am hypothyroid and take 150 mg of Thyroid S daily for about 15 years. Current level is .635 on a scale of .4 to 4.0 . I know I am close to hyperthyroid however I prefer that to maintain energy level. In reference to blunted or absent......I cannot tell......If I eat something I am accustomed too my mind says I recognize that leading me to think taste is returning..........if I eat something I detest (a clove of raw garlic) on fried fish I taste nothing.

I have no sense of smell at all......none, zero, zip.

Thank you for your interest in my malady...........Roger

Sounds like what is really absent is sense of smell. Taste and smell are connected and without smell, your sense of taste will be blunted. (If you want you can easily verify by a simple test. get some ice creams in different flavors, e.g. vanilla, chocolate, strawberry. Close your eyes and have someone hand you spoonfuls one at a time and see if you can tell which is which).

Since you have had thorough neurological exam with negative findings, the loss of smell probably is related to your past nasal problem. Temporary loss of smell can occur after some viral illnesses. this usually resolves over time.

• 10 months later...

Follow-up.....final post.

Solution to problem found..............ALLERGIES !

For 12 weeks have been receiving two injections every Wednesday....0ne in each arm.

Both senses of smell and taste are returning......about 80% at the moment.

Program calls for injections every week for a year. My Doctor at Meechok Plaza in Chiang Mai is American educated and knowledgeable.

Amazing how life can be affected when the senses of smell and taste are blocked. Life is good once again!

Delighted you are feeling better

If you feel able to share I would be grateful if you could inform us:-

A. How were your allergies diagnosed and what from what allergies you suffer?

B. What is the medication you now receive every week ?

C.The name and qualification(s) of your doctor?

D. Does your doctor just work at Meechok Plaza or does s/he have clinics elsewhere - maybe one of the private hospitals?

E. The cost of your one years treatment ?

If you are willing to share the answers to any/all of these questions I am sure many will be grateful for the information.

Edited by Sceptict11