How Much Should I Pay A Maid/Cook In Thailand.?

IconicX

I am a 54 year old artist moving to CM. I am planning to rent a shophouse and make the shop portion into my studio and live in the house (of course.) I will need a maid to tidy up and clean and to do shopping and to cook. The cooking need to be nothing fancy but Thai is ok with lots of veggies and low sodium. Full time. Live in is possible. What should I expect to pay as a monthly salary.I am looking for a maid without benefits. (live in or not.)

Cooking is a bother not warming up water for tea. I plan to work on a very difficult personal art project that will be very mentally and spiritually taxing and quite imaginative and I will be exhausting myself in it and I have special need of low sodium and low fat diet and very nutritious food. Being free of certain mundane things will enable me to create a very difficult series of paintings for a book and a show.

Do you speak any Thai ?

At this point the lower cost maid/cooks cost maybe starting at 6000 Bt a month, but don't expect english or much education with them. First of the year the minimum wage goes up to 300 Bt a day

Food is avalable everywhere for less than you can buy the stuff for many times,

Thailands unemployment rate is very very low under 1% so fining and keeping good help at a low wage is hard

a well trained, educated persoan who speaks good english will want 15,000 at least

It's one thing finding a maid, but one who actually knows how to cook (and can take dietary instructions) is a bit harder. Then you're not in 'Burmese Maid' territory, but you're more looking like hiring a Thai person who has actually worked in a restaurant. So then you're up to 8000 as a start, to make it worthwhile for her. And she still needs to be on board with not just being a cook, but also being a maid. So 8000 may be hard enough. As in the above post, I can easily see that creeping to break 10K

• Like 1

If you "want to be free of certain mundane things" and not encounter a lot of unexpected things or minor irritations, you will need to be in the 10,000+baht per month range and it is not going to be easy to find someone unless you are very lucky.

• Like 1

We paid our Burmese (Shan) maid 5,000 a month in our old 3 bedroom house in town, since moving to a bigger property with more rooms, carpets and a bigger yard we have incresed her salary to 7,000 a month, and she has free board and food.

Had many a Thai maid before her, all big dissapointments, and very lazy.

We have also helped our Burmese maid to get her Thai ID card, thanks to the help of "WE women foundation".

• Like 1

I plan to work on a very difficult personal art project that will be very mentally and spiritually taxing and quite imaginative and I will be exhausting myself in it and I have special need of low sodium and low fat diet and very nutritious food. Being free of certain mundane things will enable me to create a very difficult series of paintings for a book and a show.

You just gotta love these creative folks. biggrin.png Anyway, maids would be found from 3000 baht and upwards.

• Like 1

We paid our Burmese (Shan) maid 5,000 a month in our old 3 bedroom house in town, since moving to a bigger property with more rooms, carpets and a bigger yard we have incresed her salary to 7,000 a month, and she has free board and food.

We have also helped our Burmese maid to get her Thai ID card, thanks to the help of "WE women foundation".

I hear to watch out for Burmese maids without work permit. To give work to them and to board them can be big trouble. What is the relationship between Thai ID and Thai work permit?

It's one thing finding a maid, but one who actually knows how to cook (and can take dietary instructions) is a bit harder. Then you're not in 'Burmese Maid' territory, but you're more looking like hiring a Thai person who has actually worked in a restaurant. So then you're up to 8000 as a start, to make it worthwhile for her. And she still needs to be on board with not just being a cook, but also being a maid. So 8000 may be hard enough. As in the above post, I can easily see that creeping to break 10K

I can see that the cook thing might be unrealistic on my budget. I can eat out at the fairly large number of good veggie places. Still confused about what to pay if a person lives in as oppose to out. Living in I am paying room and board. I think that should count but how much. The other thing is that I am a single guy. A live in would be weird . I just don't see how that works with out a GF/wife relationship and I don't want that right now. But for informational purposes. What would be the price difference between living in and living out. Also are there people that are single and have a strictly business relationship with a live in maid with out benefits and can you give me some insight on how that is working out. (Maybe this should be a new topic?)

Take a cooking course or search around the internet for easy, healthy, creative menus. Cooking can be enjoyable and relaxing. Have a maid come in 2 or 3 times a week to tidy up the place.

That would really be budget friendly. I might start out like that and see if it works. I have taught myself to cook Indian vegan dishes.. I don't find it fun or relaxing though. And I got a lot of "hobby" to do. My last task. I know some people think it is art play rather than art work but being highly creative can be exhausting. Serious artists need support to produce their art. And i am no young chicken anymore. This why i come to LOS to afford one last grand thing.This is my last hurrah before true retirement and art hobby. Still hoping for maid/ cook . I think cleaning every other day is an excellent idea and I can have laundry done once a week. I have to work within my budget. I will get as much info before my feet is on the ground as possible and then let things unfold. My budget is a little flexible but I am shooting for 1500 max USD a month. But I also need a workable studio. Maybe a shophouse in a reasonable neighborhood not too far away from CM center. I want to be upfront so I can get good advice.

Edited by IconicX

Take a cooking course or search around the internet for easy, healthy, creative menus. Cooking can be enjoyable and relaxing. Have a maid come in 2 or 3 times a week to tidy up the place.

That would really be budget friendly. I might start out like that and see if it works. I have taught myself to cook Indian vegan dishes.. I don't find it fun or relaxing though. And I got a lot of "hobby" to do. My last task. I know some people think it is art play rather than art work but being highly creative can be exhausting. Serious artists need support to produce their art. And i am no young chicken anymore. This why i come to LOS to afford one last grand thing.This is my last hurrah before true retirement and art hobby. Still hoping for maid/ cook . I think cleaning every other day is an excellent idea and I can have laundry done once a week. I have to work within my budget. I will get as much info before my feet is on the ground as possible and then let things unfold. My budget is a little flexible but I am shooting for 1500 max USD a month. But I also need a workable studio. Maybe a shophouse in a reasonable neighborhood not too far away from CM center. I want to be upfront so I can get good advice.

go live at tacomepai near pai

15 rooms for rent in a beautiful setting. with creative people and i believe good cooks.Very rustic though

if not i can offer you a western standard cottage on 10 rai of land surrounded with lychee trees and singing birds

We have land next to this so my girlfriend could come in and tidy the place up

and yes we can do the low soduim diet to our taste

2 and a half hours North of CM

go live at tacomepai near pai

15 rooms for rent in a beautiful setting. with creative people and i believe good cooks.Very rustic though

if not i can offer you a western standard cottage on 10 rai of land surrounded with lychee trees and singing birds

We have land next to this so my girlfriend could come in and tidy the place up

and yes we can do the low soduim diet to our taste

2 and a half hours North of CM

Sounds really good. Lets stay in touch. It is still awhile before I come in Oct. thanks.

I hear to watch out for Burmese maids without work permit. To give work to them and to board them can be big trouble. What is the relationship between Thai ID and Thai work permit?

She has one, if you had read my post, and we are in the process of sponsoring her to get a full Thai ID. She is 100 % legal.

Are you?

One other problem I see s it would seem he needs specific type cooking. it would be good to be able to speak enough Thai or get a cook who understands his dietary needs. He might find it worth while in the beginning to get a interpreter to make sure his needs are met. I see he isn't fussy but there are certain things that seem to be a no no to him.

As for wages to meet his requirements I would estimate 10,000 baht a month.

at any rate

Iconicx

welcome to Chiang Mai

She has one, if you had read my post, and we are in the process of sponsoring her to get a full Thai ID. She is 100 % legal.

Are you?

My pen lie. Chill. I was asking not accusing. As I am not now in Thailand I guess I am legal.

One other problem I see s it would seem he needs specific type cooking. it would be good to be able to speak enough Thai or get a cook who understands his dietary needs. He might find it worth while in the beginning to get a interpreter to make sure his needs are met. I see he isn't fussy but there are certain things that seem to be a no no to him.

at any rate

Iconicx

welcome to Chiang Mai

Thanks Hellodolly.a Cook is not a deal breaker. Maybe I will get lucky. (my pen lie) and a housekeeper every other day will be fine. I know the ball park figure of what to pay. You guys are great. Lets keep it simple at first. I need to learn so thai.

No idea on cost but, if I was looking for a live in maid I would definitely start her off as a "live out" maid until I was sure she was right for job.

That sounds nice in theory, but in practice it doesn't really work that way. See, the living arrangements largely depends on her situation in life. If you get a person who has somewhat of a life, perhaps even a hustband/boyfriend/kids/family and already has a room or other place where she lives, then she will likely not want to move in and live with her employer full time. (Unless with crazy incentives, or by hiring her husband too) So that's an unnatural and up-hill thing to attempt with such a person.

Compare this to a girl fresh off a mountain, with absolutely no place to stay (or paying through her nose to share a room with 3 other girls), then she'll be HAPPY if accommodation is provided, it will reduce her living expense. With such a person it makes sense to make her live-in.

A "first living in, then moving out-scenario" does happen sometimes when the maid builds a life for herself, but the other way around happens less often. (It can perhaps happen through circumstance, but it's hard to plan it that way)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

There are laundry shops everywhere, so I wouldn't worry about expecting a maid to do laundry. Besides, the OP probably won't having a washing machine in the place he rents for the budget he has in mind.

As mentioned, cooking can be relaxing. Taste from Heaven restaurant on Thapae Rd. offers a good, half-day cooking school. The students get to select the menu items in advance. There's none of the time wasting field trip to the Thai market like with other schools. All their food is vegetarian and they don't use MSG. They'd honor special requests, like low sodium or no coconut milk, etc.

If the OP is living in town, he can also arrange for delivery from the vegetarian restaurants. I'd stay away from the prepared foods in the Thai markets if someone is striving for a low sodium, low fat diet. Too much salty fish sauce, msg, palm oil used in the prepared meals.

If the OP finds a laundry lady on his soi and spends a bit time learning to cook and/or exploring delivery options from the vegetarian restaurants, then all he has to do is have a maid come in a few times a week and he can focus on his art without having someone around all the time.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

at any rate

Iconicx

welcome to Chiang Mai

Thanks Hellodolly.a Cook is not a deal breaker. Maybe I will get lucky. (my pen lie) and a housekeeper every other day will be fine. I know the ball park figure of what to pay. You guys are great. Lets keep it simple at first. I need to learn so thai.

Maybe start by using the R's instead of the lazy L's (mai bpen rai). wink.png

• Like 1

There are laundry shops everywhere, so I wouldn't worry about expecting a maid to do laundry. Besides, the OP probably won't having a washing machine in the place he rents for the budget he has in mind.

As mentioned, cooking can be relaxing. Taste from Heaven restaurant on Thapae Rd. offers a good, half-day cooking school. The students get to select the menu items in advance. There's none of the time wasting field trip to the Thai market like with other schools. All their food is vegetarian and they don't use MSG. They'd honor special requests, like low sodium or no coconut milk, etc.

If the OP is living in town, he can also arrange for delivery from the vegetarian restaurants. I'd stay away from the prepared foods in the Thai markets if someone is striving for a low sodium, low fat diet. Too much salty fish sauce, msg, palm oil used in the prepared meals.

If the OP finds a laundry lady on his soi and spends a bit time learning to cook and/or exploring delivery options from the vegetarian restaurants, then all he has to do is have a maid come in a few times a week and he can focus on his art without having someone around all the time.

Brilliant! Thanks. Looks like a game plan. The delivery option is grand. Still cooking being relaxing? I wish.

I would take what *some* of the crusty old sexpats and expats say on here with more than a touch of sodium chloride. A lot of these old hounds live in a bubble as to the real costs of Thailand, with the majority swimming in the same dirty gold fish bowl.

You say you have a $1500 a month ? thats around 47,000 baht a month which is a kings ransom if you know the ropes and are not an inveterate whore monger and booze hound.

as far as renting a place goes I think you could easily find something in the 5000-7000 bht a month range, Many will say finding a place at that price is impossible but if yout willing to really look its findable. I stay in a 3 bedroom furnished house 1km from the centre of Songkhla which costs 4500 bht per month, a mate has a 2 bedroom town house in Bangkok 1 BTS stop from Sukhumvit and pays 5000 bht a month.

The idea of having a part time maid is the best

Would you not like solitude and nature for your doodling ?? perhaps getting further out into the sticks is the idea.

Work permit no worries if your only knocking up the drawings but selling them elsewhere. You can get all the healthy food you want delivered to your place at alloted times. Thail food among the healthiest and tastiest in the world. Hardly anyone cooks in the home. Just abvoid the over-priced foreign owned restraunts, normally the food is poor in my experience. The problem is a lot of the crusters with businesses still think they should be making western level money........

Single guy they will be like vultures you can be the ugliest human being in the world but they will love your money !!!

Get your shop and eat out because that is the cheapest way for a single guy and bring in a maid as and when you will always find a woman who will come in and clean for 300 bht with no strings attached. move one in and all I can see is gloom and doom b4 you know it your sharing the same bed and then a child look around at all the over 50s who have been duped walking around with a 1 year old kid is that what you really want I think not !!!

Work permit no worries if your only knocking up the drawings but selling them elsewhere. You can get all the healthy food you want delivered to your place at alloted times. Thail food among the healthiest and tastiest in the world. Hardly anyone cooks in the home. Just abvoid the over-priced foreign owned restraunts, normally the food is poor in my experience. The problem is a lot of the crusters with businesses still think they should be making western level money........

"Thai food among the healthiest and tastiest in the world." Right...palm oil, MSG, sugar, fish sauce....very healthy.whistling.gif

Before you go looking for a servant, you might consider if you even need one. Living alone in a place that appears to be small (and where would a servant sleep?) means there is little cleaning to be done in general. What little cleaning there is to do will be therapeutic. If all you ingest is plant matter, cooking is a breeze and you will get personal fulfillment by doing it. Outside laundry service is not expensive.

I live alone and do all my own cleaning and cooking and take my laundry out. I also do all my own yard work. You can too.

It would be very odd indeed to have a servant around to cook and clean. You might want to try taking care of yourself first for a while. See how it goes. You might find the solitude inspiring.

• Like 1

Are you?

My pen lie. Chill. I was asking not accusing. As I am not now in Thailand I guess I am legal.

It's mai pen rai, with a "R".

I was reffering to you when you will be working here. You will have a work permit right?