Rural Doctors Plead For Funds: Thailand

webfact

PUBLIC HEALTH

Rural doctors plead for funds

Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

30185356-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A group of 200 physician-members of the Rural Doctor Society and Patient Network yesterday gathered at the Public Health Ministry to demand it release more than Bt3 billion to purchase life-saving medical equipment.

" We have not had budgets to buy new and modern equipment to save patients' lives in rural areas for more than 30 years," said protestor Dr Somchaichote Piyawatch, a director of Mahasarakham province's Chiang Yeun hospital.

Protesters used banners to voice their demands that Public Health Minister Witthaya Buranasiri and the government allocate funds to buy medical devices such as X-ray machines, electricity generators for hospitals, sterilisers and washing machines.

Somchaichote said he had asked government for funds to buy new medical-instrument sterilisers, ultrasound machines and X-ray computers to replace old and much-repaired equipment that had been in use since 1981 and could threaten patients' health.

" The X-ray machine has been used for 30 years. We have fixed it again and again. Sometimes, we've had to borrow one from a nearby hospital as we were afraid ours would release radiation and affect patients," Somchaichote said.

" If we do not get this budget from government, the hospital will get into trouble as we have to spend over Bt100,000 a year to maintain the X-ray machine," he added.

Rural Doctor Society's senior advisor Dr Arak Wongworachart, a director of Nakhonsrithammarat province's Sichon Hospital, said all hospitals nationwide had backed the proposal under the previous government for a Bt9.8-billion budget to purchase medical devices. But this proposal was cut from Bt9.8 billion to Bt3.4 billion to cover 600 community hospitals with 60 beds, 100 secondary hospitals with 60 to 120 beds, 69 tertiary hospitals and 26 centres of medical excellence.

The budget was later trimmed further by Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Dr Paijit Warachit in his role as chairman of the committee to screen purchasing of medical devices. The committee cut Bt700 million to Bt800 million of funds initially allocated to buy medical devices for rural hospitals.

Dr Kriangsak Watcharanukulkiat, the Society's president, said he had made a half-hour plea directly to Witthaya to convince the cabinet to release these funds. He also asked former public health Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung to support Witthaya in defending the budget from the cabinet.

" Witthaya and Chalerm promised they would help us. Now we have to wait and see," he said.

Witthaya said the decision on the budget to support rural hospitals rested with the cabinet, but he would represent society's demand at the cabinet meeting today at Government House.

However, he said the budget to buy medical devices had only been cut from Bt3.426 billion to Bt3.425 billion.

Of this number, about Bt2.049 billion had been allocated to buy respirators and anaesthesia machines, about Bt615 million to purchase X-ray machines and automatic hand-washers, and Bt716 million to buy electricity generators and washing machines.

Watch Video at www.nationmultimedia.com

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-03

" We have not had budgets to buy new and modern equipment to save patients' lives in rural areas for more than 30 years," said protestor Dr Somchaichote Piyawatch, a director of Mahasarakham province's Chiang Yeun hospital.

They should have the full support of the Government, surely, since it is a call to improve the health of rural areas and improve the overall quality of life of the rural poor, which this government has set as a priority. No new equipment in 30 years??? OMG, don't get sick in the provinces!!

"......cut from Bt3.426 billion to Bt3.425 billion." With a number that big, who'll notice if a million goes missing.

The number sounds impressive until you divide it by 800; then it starts to resemble paltry. Remind me, what are the expected LOSSES from the rice pledging scheme? Wasn't it substantially more than 100 times the budget for new hospital equipment - EVERY YEAR it operates.

Mick, not arguing, but you have lost me where the 800 came from?

What does 800 represent?

It's the combined number of hospitals mentioned in the news article.

Really, the nerve of these doctors requesting money for improvements to antique facilities.

Health care isn't fashionable or important enough when there are far more critical things to do with taxpayers money.

And we all know what the government deems important, surely?

• Like 1

However, he said the budget to buy medical devices had only been cut from Bt3.426 billion to Bt3.425 billion.

Its absolutely tragic. All the money wasted on downmarket chinese computer tablets, publicity and banqueting, speechwriters, trips abroad, compensation for mismanaged floods, compensation for armed rioters, bail for criminal associates, not to mention all the unoffical 'christmas presents' that PTP have no doubt been handing out in secret behind the scenes, all that money could have been spent on saving poor peoples' lives instead.

ermm.gif

Not to mention straight into politicians pockets.

"......cut from Bt3.426 billion to Bt3.425 billion." With a number that big, who'll notice if a million goes missing.

The number sounds impressive until you divide it by 800; then it starts to resemble paltry. Remind me, what are the expected LOSSES from the rice pledging scheme? Wasn't it substantially more than 100 times the budget for new hospital equipment - EVERY YEAR it operates.

Yep, and I just googled the price of x ray machines and they run at upwards of $20,000 (B600,000) so that's only 10 machines on their budget of B6,150,000. Still anything is better than nothing after 30 years.

So not even the great Thaksin never bothered to do anything about this in his time, and now his party cuts an already small budget of 9billion down to 3.

Not even sterillisers? So sad.

Absolute joke.

• Like 1

Yep, and I just googled the price of x ray machines and they run at upwards of $20,000 (B600,000) so that's only 10 machines on their budget of B6,150,000. Still anything is better than nothing after 30 years.

So not even the great Thaksin never bothered to do anything about this in his time, and now his party cuts an already small budget of 9billion down to 3.

Not even sterillisers? So sad.

Absolute joke.

The whole system is passing out of the joke realm into the deplorable realm. The Hospitals desperately need the money so the government reinstall the 30 baht payment. Of course the cost to process the 30 baht is 50 baht leaving a net loss of 20 more baht on every visit to the hospital.

What they need is a ministry for health care in Thailand.

I know some are going to say they have one but the facts say they have a ministry with that title. Not one for health care.

Much as I deplore the idea the situation is so bad maybe just give Thaksin his 20% of the top and fix the problem.sad.png

http://thainews.prd....id=255505220005

Under a total budget of 983.47 billion baht, the Transport Ministry has plans to construct 5 high-speed rail routes, including Bangkok-Chiang Mai, Bangkok-Nong Khai, Bangkok-Ubon Ratchathani, Bangkok-Rayong, and Bangkok-Padang Besar.

BANGKOK, 22 May 2012 (NNT) – The Transport Minister has expressed confidence that the first high speed railway connecting Bangkok and Chiang Mai will be ready for service by 2018. Transport Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan has disclosed that Thailand and China have agreed to conduct a feasibility study on the country’s first high-speed rail project. With Chinese experts surveying the planned route of the Bangkok-Chiang Mai high speed rail construction, which spans over 745 km, it has been suggested that the railway should be constructed to support a velocity of 250-300 km/hour while focusing on passenger transportation. The feasibility study of the project will take a year to finalize before construction can commence. The Bangkok-Chiang Mai high speed rail is expected to be ready in service by 2018. The source of fund remains to be determined based on public interest whether it should solely come from the Thai government's budget or a government-to-government cooperation.

Edited by Reasonableman

Please government of Thailand give money to hospitals.

Actually, please every government please give money to hospitals and education.

Note : I am not saying that all countries do not.

I am aware that some countries do.

And of the ones that do, some give a little and some give a lot.

So, for those of you reading this from one of those countries please understand that I am not talking about your country.

I am just talking about 'most' countries.

In my opinion a government can never spend enough to keep it's population educated and healthy.

I'm sure that Yingluck would be happy to donate her 900 million baht, and, Thaksin would at least match that amount after they coerce the courts to return their ill gotten gains. We all know what truly unselfish people they are.....as long as Shiniwatra is the last name of the beneficiaries.

One of the problems is that money is given to large already well-equipped hospitals, which have considerable leverage, but not enough appears to be given to rural health centers. This "monumentalism" is unfortunately epidemic. Patients, often very ill patients, may be expected to make long and repeated journeys to the larger regional hospitals for treatment, while acute and palliative treatment could be provided more effectively at the local level. However, there is no large edifice to show for the money, and probably no "machine that goes ping" to show off. Rural community-health services for the poor need adequate basic equipment and appropriate staff (training, numbers, mix, distribution) to provide basic health services to local districts, communities, villages, etc., IMHO.

This is one protest that I fully support. Taken as a whole the health services providers in Thailand are a disgrace. Anybody who discharges a patient because they cannot pay is not worthy of being called 'Doctor' and the hospital management should hang their heads in shame. I should like to see ALL doctors out protesting about Government policies and the uneveness of the services available. Some hope though.

I note though that even the up country hospitals that I have visited can afford to provide TV sets for the masses waiting to be attended to. Strange sense of priorities maybe.

Edited by Bagwan

I don't want to bash the Thais about under funding its hospitals because it is a serious problem.

I know back home, the same problem exists, but I do recall the hospitals having volunteer and support groups to help raise extra funds from the public. I don't ever recall being asked to make a donation since I've been here in Thailand. ( except for the tax department).

Edited by mike123ca

I live in Southern Buriram Provence near, Lahan Sai (pop 71,000), and Nang Rong (pop 110,000) and needed an MRI. My nearest option was Bangkok Hospital in Khorat 2 hours away. These hospitals out here really could use some modern tools.

But I have to applaud the village clinic system. Our village is pretty small, but still has a free clinic(with donation box) to take care of the basic stuff, cuts, burns, sprains etc...

Agricultural and rural areas are synonymous with each other. Thailand is mainly an agricultural country, so if the nations food crop producers are in poor and weakened health conditions, any outbreak or new epidemic will surely decimate these rural regions first and severest! Then all the cities modern new health care facilities will have to convert to making the nations FOOD.! The investment in modernizing the rural and heartland of Thailand's health and care makes sense, and not just from the human aspect but for the whole engine of Thailand.

With the population shifting older and older and more young Thai's "not wanting to be a farmer in a deadbeat job with no benefits", Who and where is all the nations future food supply coming from?? Too many Countries are not thinking for the future nowadays,huh.

This is one protest that I fully support. Taken as a whole the health services providers in Thailand are a disgrace. Anybody who discharges a patient because they cannot pay is not worthy of being called 'Doctor' and the hospital management should hang their heads in shame. I should like to see ALL doctors out protesting about Government policies and the uneveness of the services available. Some hope though.

I note though that even the up country hospitals that I have visited can afford to provide TV sets for the masses waiting to be attended to. Strange sense of priorities maybe.

I take my mother in law to the local hospital once a month for her diabetes check and my wife collects her and brings her back

I take her around 6 am (and there are a lot of people there at that time) and my wife collects her usually after 11 am which is why there are TV sets for the outpatients who are waiting.

If I take her at 8 am she usually comes back home with me after getting the number and my wife takes her back after lunch.