Ten Dead, 17 Injured In Surat Thani VIP Bus Accident

webfact

I would say that the bad roads in Thailand is the major problems. They are in bad condition and also the roads ara badly planned.

Not to mention all this U-turn possibilitys. And that people can cross the "highways" and that they are going in trough the city´s as well.

And the lack of trafficsigns. For example how many sign is there to see about speeding... not to many.

I believe the Thai governements (all of them) have saved money to long now building this shitty roads.

Maybe the buss drove in to a pothole in the road. And maybe the tire wasn´t to fresh. There are so many possibility in Thailand to end up in a traffic accident.

Also the driver license schools are a joke! And this "it happens not me" mentality that all thai people have? Or is it a buddist thing?

When the tourists stop coming to Thailand due to the risk of dyuing in the traffic. Then, and first then, the governments will do something about it.

But for now, to much money ends up in the pockets of corrupted politicians instead of building good roads.

I actually think the road layouts are pretty good here on the whole. The surfaces can be crappy, but in terms of dual carriageways, slip roads, bridges, pull off areas and so forth it's quite well laid out. Agree some of the U turns are precarious, but if used properly (I know...) then they would be fine.

It's the drivers and the vehicles that are the problem.

You cant be serious about being able to do a u turn on a road Thai style where you have to travel from stationary to about 120kph in 2-300 metres straight into the fast lane??

Its the most ridiculous road layout ever, the only safe way is the raised bridges bringing you onto the correct slower lane.

Id like to see stats on accidents at the U turn spots.

• Like 1

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just speaking to a friend now, her friends uncle was the Indian guy that died on the bus, his wife is panic stricken at the hospital in Surat Thani, unable to speak Thai. These are just people on holiday and now her life has altered for ever.

people need to understand for us on the forum it is just a crash, but for others their lives are ruined, so when people try and defend the awful accident figures here and try and put the blame anywhere than where it should be put, just think about this, and know that this won't be the last time, and next time it might be you or yours

the

following is from our facebook link and has the numbers of the hospitals where the injured and deceased were taken. perhaps you can get someone to translate for the poor woman.

Hospital contacts are as follows Surat Thani Hospital which can be contacted at 66 77 272 231 and 66 77 284 231 and Kanjanadit Hospital at 66 77 244518-9.

Nothing like a Thai VIP bus to get you where you are going quicker than anybody else....

As they say....best to arrive late than dead on time.

Careful ur wind richardinbkk up again and he might call u a tourist!!!
  • Like 1

This is a simple case of the bus driver going way to fast for conditions! Unfortunately this is a common occurrence in Thailand that goes largely under reported. It is being reported on the Thai news channel that several people did in fact complain about excessive speed to the driver including a few foreigners. The bus driver then told the foreign passengers to get off the bus if they didn't like it! That's great you in a foreign country in the middle of nowhere where are you going to go?

I feel for all the people that lost there lives due to a stupid reckless driver.

Asking a Thai bus driver to slow down is like pi--ing into the wind. They seem to regard driving at 150kph as essential to maintaining their macho cool guy personae.

The only consolation is that there is hopefully one less idiot behind a bus wheel in Thailand.

That, and hopefully the fact that tourists might realize the danger of riding in these death traps at last

Just speaking to a friend now, her friends uncle was the Indian guy that died on the bus, his wife is panic stricken at the hospital in Surat Thani, unable to speak Thai. These are just people on holiday and now her life has altered for ever.

people need to understand for us on the forum it is just a crash, but for others their lives are ruined, so when people try and defend the awful accident figures here and try and put the blame anywhere than where it should be put, just think about this, and know that this won't be the last time, and next time it might be you or yours

It most definitely will not be me or anyone close to me as I do not and will never allow them to travel on these buses again....big or minivan.....as long as I have any influence over what they do and they listen to me anyway.

Here's my 2p:

Several months ago my wife & children used one of these busses for a return journey to Bkk. Knowing the pitfalls I took it upon myself to inspect the vehicle (without making it obvious) thoroughly for as much as could be seen, namely tyres, seat belts, lights/indicators & overall appearance. I found the vehicle clean, servicable & with 2 uniformed drivers who looked presentable/fresh/Sober. They had at least one trolley dolley too. The bus was in the same blue pink livery as the one in this thread. My only negative note was that all the busses @ the Samui bus station (inc my wifes) had signs of previous damage & repair (mirror antennae knocked off, rear end shunts, T Boned, the lot). My family belted up for the duration & their feedback upon return was that this was a safe operation re speed, timetable, driver rotation, comfort stops etc.

Re Brakes (someone's bound to ask!); I had no way of testing them but it looked ok when it pulled in & manouvered around in the bus station.

I hope this puts some of the nonsence in this thread to bed.

Edited by evadgib

She said the illfated bus has insurance with Dhipaya Insurance, which will take responsibility for compensation of the victims.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-03

I don't think the insurance company will have agreed to this just yet.

How many more fatal bus crashes must there be before the authorities take some action? There are just too many.

Insurance companies should get together (and yes, such things do happen) and come up with a set of rules and regulations that need to be adhered to by bus and HGV companies and drivers and if these rules are not strictly adhered to then the insurance becomes null and void: speed regulators, limiting driver hours, insisting upon seat belts at least being available, weekly vehicle checks to include brakes and tyres etc. etc. Any alcohol or drugs detected in the drivers' blood systems; no cover.

This would put the onus on the bus companies to pay compensation to any victims of accidents and of course to foot the bill for any physical damage, unless they fully abide by the terms and conditions of the insurance policy. Yes, it might mean increased bus fares but I'd rather pay an extra few baht and travel on a regulated bus than risk my life every time I get a bus.

Insurance companies suffer as well as others at the hands of these maniac drivers and unscrupulous bus companies and they are perhaps in a better position than any to do something about it.

First of all, wishing a speedy recovery for all the injured and lot of strenght for the families who have suffered a lost,

Reading all the speculations about this terrible accident with too little information shared by the media surely makes everyone to speculate but my opinion would be that if the tire would have exploded just before the traffic island it would have not caused such a heavy impact because the speed should have been at the moment maximum 20 - 30 km/h, even if the tire would have exploded 100 meters before the traffic island there would have been plenty of time to stop the bus without losing the control because the driver obviously would have already lower the speed to get in to the traffic island...

If the bus would have driven for example 110 km/h and tire would have been exploded lets say for example from 500 meters before the traffic island the accident investigators surely(?) should have noticed atleast some of the exploded tire parts before the traffic island on the road...

Since the accident happened very early in the morning hours, the media / investigators has not reported about the road condition (of course not because they have been paid quiet if there were any) so the i would guess that the co-driver who should be keeping the driver awake have went to his cabin to take a nap and the driver has accidentally felt a sleep for a second and noticed the traffic island too late trying to stop the bus without success...

Sure there are always the option that the tire exploded but why the investigators cant see it and if the driver was doing 110km/h there is perhaps also a good chance that the bus would have jumped out of the road immediately from that speed...

I dont, perhaps the media will tell us again some "official" statement from this Horrible happening, we'll see...

Vehicles have tyre blow outs.

What is truly horrific is that the damage to this vehicle and its passengers is attributed to a commonplace incident. I cannot believe it.

It looks like a bomb hit it. How fast was it going for goodness sake? Truly horrible.

My very deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victims. A very tragic accident.

I have gotten off a bus that was speeding and driving way too recklessly. There isn't much else you can do, since talking to the driver doesn't usually work.

I would say that the bad roads in Thailand is the major problems. They are in bad condition and also the roads ara badly planned.

Not to mention all this U-turn possibilitys. And that people can cross the "highways" and that they are going in trough the city´s as well.

And the lack of trafficsigns. For example how many sign is there to see about speeding... not to many.

I believe the Thai governements (all of them) have saved money to long now building this shitty roads.

Maybe the buss drove in to a pothole in the road. And maybe the tire wasn´t to fresh. There are so many possibility in Thailand to end up in a traffic accident.

Also the driver license schools are a joke! And this "it happens not me" mentality that all thai people have? Or is it a buddist thing?

When the tourists stop coming to Thailand due to the risk of dyuing in the traffic. Then, and first then, the governments will do something about it.

But for now, to much money ends up in the pockets of corrupted politicians instead of building good roads.

I actually think the road layouts are pretty good here on the whole. The surfaces can be crappy, but in terms of dual carriageways, slip roads, bridges, pull off areas and so forth it's quite well laid out. Agree some of the U turns are precarious, but if used properly (I know...) then they would be fine.

You cant be serious about being able to do a u turn on a road Thai style where you have to travel from stationary to about 120kph in 2-300 metres straight into the fast lane??

Its the most ridiculous road layout ever, the only safe way is the raised bridges bringing you onto the correct slower lane.

There's plenty of similar junctions in the UK where you can go from standstill onto a dual carriage way. They are a bit more dangerous than bridges, but on quiet bits of DC it's fine, and the cost of replacing all of them with bridges would be enormous.

I also said if used properly - that would preclude sweeping across from lane 1 to make a U turn because you don't want to wait in the queue in L2/3, using all 3 lanes of the opposing carriage way to turn round, moving away at glacial pace then moving unpredictably and without signaling infront of faster moving cars approaching from behind and the myriad other sins that are common at these places.

Let alone riding an unlit motorbike based shop contraption through one so you can ride the wrong way up the road to your chosen destination.

I can not agree more, Travelmann. There is a reason that 20 000+ is dying every year in the traffic. And that statistic is only the ones who die emidietly on the road.

Those who die in the ambulance or on the hospital later are not in that statistc!!

Why are people afraid of terrorisst in the south? Better they are afraid in the daily traffic!

The best a terrorist can do to killing people is give the thais a car or motorcycle. That is much more efficient!

Radui Samui FM 100 reported that at least two of the people that died are from Samui, Lamai and Maenam respectively.

The driver had also been asked to slow down but apparently he got upset and angry over that. According to this report the driver was trying to make it in time to the ferry.

from what we have heard by now, the tire exploded when it hit the kerb...

driving up a kerb, with high speed and a fat bus, takes something ...

...obliviousness first and then skills (and maybe some luck) to catch up the bus again...

Edited by dingdang

I love Thailand, I love it's people, I love it's culture, if I didn't I wouldn't be here. I prefer most things in Thailand over my own country the USA. But anybody who thinks Thai bus drivers (on average) are as experienced or as careful as American bus drivers (on average) is crazy or simply in denial for whatever reasons. I've taken Greyhound buses back and forth from California to Florida many times since I am afraid of flying and majority of my friends and family live in both those two states. I have never feared for my life on these rides the way I do when I take long distance buses in Thailand.

I have never been on any bus from California to Florida where the driver sped 10 miles or more over the speed limit and I have never seen a driver on any of those trips try to pass slower traffic on two lane roads with the right lane being the oncoming traffic lane. I have however seen both of these things happen every single time I have taken a long distance bus in Thailand. The drivers here take much more risks.

Popped tire is an excuse that might fly. Just as likely it's not true or partially true. Most bus drivers speed. Nearly all drive badly. Some doze off at the wheel. Some are drunk. Most chat while driving. All of 'em swerve across the median line.

Over a quarter century of being in Thai buses, I have some insight in to how they're driven.

Over 25 Years on Thai Buses and you still take them ?

Can't be that bad then can they .

or may be he is having a death wish

My experience with Transport Co. buses has generally been very good. Like Nakhon Chai Air they operate modern VIP buses, with the 24 seaters being the best of the best I believe. While it is too early to be sure, it is possible that it was just bad luck, something on the road, or perhaps a faulty tire.

Bad luck does not cause accidents BAD DRIVING DOES

The quality of driving in Thailand is shocking and has been for decades. Why does the government refuse to implement standardized driving tests as opposed to the stupid irrelevant system currently in place.

I would imagine the USA has a very strict driving test, doesn't stop an average of 40,000 fatalities per year though does it.

Vehicles are vehicles, humans are humans , both are prone to failures.

Your point is well made, and add to it, Americans drive large airbag equipped vehicles. if they did not have the luxury of driving those massive gas guzzling tanks, the fatality numbers would be x 4. Here, people drive very light vehicles, and older, without much protection. it would be interesting to know how many Americans receive critical injuries requiring hospitalization per year, because in a different vehicle, those may have been fatal.

oh i see , so it's WHAT you drive not HOW you drive that kills , and silly me thought it was something to do with bad driving , driving tests that a 5yr old could pass , no regulation on vehicle condition {ie MOTs} , driver training or lack of , and road design including u turns on 120kmh highways , i guess i better go buy my $100,000 merc before they are sold out !..........DOH !

I Love these constant posts about how Thailand will sink into the sea without us.

Agree.

I have lived in Thailand since 1990, and the moaners then were saying the same things, 22 years on, Thailand is still forging ahead whilst Western countries are sinking.

Absolutely, watch what happend in the USA and western Europe...you cant pay me enough to go back there....and I LOVE THE VISA Rules towards to foreigners here...wish we had the same in Europe.....same goes for the Land owning regulations... ASIA is the future

• Like 1

Yea, but, it doesn't affect you directly does it, you don't drive on Thai roads, cos reading your other posts, you are against anything and everything in Thailand, you can't possibly live here, unless you're insane.

I have driven 100s of 1000's of Kms on roads all over Thailand, Motorcycle and Car in nearly 22 years of living in Thailand full time, I have never had an accident, the closest I have come is with Farang motorcyclists in Pattaya who don't understand the way of the road here.

On the other hand I have driven in France, Spain and Italy, that may have been a good education for Thai roads.

My experience with Transport Co. buses has generally been very good. Like Nakhon Chai Air they operate modern VIP buses, with the 24 seaters being the best of the best I believe. While it is too early to be sure, it is possible that it was just bad luck, something on the road, or perhaps a faulty tire.

Either way, let's hope that pending the results of an investigation, Transport Co. as a professional outfit, will implement whatever changes are necessary to reduce the chances of this happening again.

Or maybe the driver fell asleep.

Or maybe maybe maybe .............Like the guy said earlier, for Christ sakes leave it alone for once and show whatever degree of respect can be

It's not just bald tyres and bad driving though. The way the buses are constructed is haphazard, in backstreet factories with old parts and amateur welders tagging bits on as they feel like.

You can see on that one in the video linked above how the box section ladder chassis has just crumpled, there's no structural rigidity to it, and thus no protection during an accident. Look at the difference:

Here's a Czech bus that crashed in Germany carrying 57 people, and went on it's roof, with 1 dead

bus_crash_101010.jpg

Here's the Thai bus that hit a pylon, carrying 24, and left 10 dead

fb.jpeg

No one in the front 3rd of that bus stood a chance. Different accidents, I know. But I suspect if the Thai bus had gone on it's roof then the death toll would have been higher still.

And then there's the question of whether or not the seats were bolted down properly, and to what.

If they put half as much thought into basic construction as they put into lights, murals and sound systems then they might get somewhere. Until then I'll avoid them like the plague.

Not sure if the government buses are any better?

I understand what you are saying but the two situations are clearly very different - the Czech bus clearly hasn't sustained any front end impact at all, even the headlights are intact. It certainly didn't speed head on into a heavy inanimate object. Actually the under body construction of both looks very similar.

The Swiss bus crash earlier this year would be a better comparison of the extent of damage to be expected from a head on crash at speed and fared similarly to the Thai bus... I won't post a photo or link because it was a terrible incident and it's easily googleable.

From the recent stories coming in it seems that this tragic crash here was down to the driver speeding not any vehicle defect; I think that's two posters on here and my wife's who has heard the same through a friend. I'm not saying that's the cause (or that because my wife says so it must be true) but if it is, it makes it all the more tragic as it was so unnecessary and avoidable. A burst tyre would have been much easier for all involved to bear...

It would also make a good case for all to ignore any initial police/ news reports speculation in Thailand.

They don't do things by halfs do they.

Either way, let's hope that pending the results of an investigation, Transport Co. as a professional outfit, will implement whatever changes are necessary to reduce the chances of this happening again.

They don't do things by halfs do they but, at least he didn't flee the scene.

There is no such thing as bad luck. If it weren't the tyres it would have been the brakes. Or something else.

And does anyone think all the prospective passengers are gonna climb over and crawl under each and ever bus they travel on, Ya gotta be joking

And of the 24 passengers .how many would know shyt from shinola and what they were looking at or what to look for.

Implement whatever changes are necessary, don't hold your breath TIT

Are you serious or joking about the driver not leaving the scene? According to reports, the driver was killed.

I often wonder at how quickly semi retired builders, book keepers, innkeepers businessmen or the generally bored suddenly become pro accident investigators, and publish based on a single photograph. It almost like claiming to be able to knit, just to get a front row seat.

what ever the cause, and I am not in any better position to speculate, its all very sad, and it will take more than a single photo to establish the reasons it happened. lets hope the familes can come to terms with their losses and be grateful it wasnt one of own

• Like 1

They don't do things by halfs do they.

They don't do things by halfs do they but, at least he didn't flee the scene.

There is no such thing as bad luck. If it weren't the tyres it would have been the brakes. Or something else.

And does anyone think all the prospective passengers are gonna climb over and crawl under each and ever bus they travel on, Ya gotta be joking

And of the 24 passengers .how many would know shyt from shinola and what they were looking at or what to look for.

Implement whatever changes are necessary, don't hold your breath TIT

Are you serious or joking about the driver not leaving the scene? According to reports, the driver was killed.

You can quite clearly see in the photo I put up....that the driver did definitely not leave the scene.

IF he had been able to flee the scene, how many posters would bet on him hanging around?

Perhaps to blame a dog or a pothole or foreigners asking him to slow down??

Almost every bus here is driven wrecklessly, and they are usually in very poor condition, even 'brand new' ones

Lets come to our senses!

Just because the bus or tour is called VIP, doesn't mean it is? The most important element when traveling is the driver just like a pilot on a aircraft! When a pilot and the aircraft is on the ground he or she does a visual walkaround and inspect his log left in the cockpit. Commerical transportation should be no different.

Some are blaming it on the road and unless there was a large obstruction that cause the blow out normally a commericial tire with up to safety code threads can take a pounding even if the bus is slightly airborne. If the police inspecting the accident scene has any training which in this case most likely the BIB couldn't figure out the left from the right, One has only to look at the blown tire and the marks on the road to determine how fast the driver and how he try to compensate for the blown tire. If he use his brakes the pattern should be evident on the road.

Last, one only has to obtain his driving record to see if he has a pattern of accidents even if they are minior to determine his driving pattern. It takes training and skill to control a bus or big rig but remember unlike a car there are many more tires on a bus blowing just one will not cause a bus to go out of control unless he was speeding and in Thailand the highway speed is 80 KM/HR and I'm I doubt he was going that slow?

This is a simple case of the bus driver going way to fast for conditions! Unfortunately this is a common occurrence in Thailand that goes largely under reported. It is being reported on the Thai news channel that several people did in fact complain about excessive speed to the driver including a few foreigners. The bus driver then told the foreign passengers to get off the bus if they didn't like it! That's great you in a foreign country in the middle of nowhere where are you going to go?

I feel for all the people that lost there lives due to a stupid reckless driver.

Meaningful education from first grade. Until the general level of education improves drastically there is little hope to improve issues like safety. With a critically thinking populous will come accountability and better awareness of safety.

Until that happens global incompetence is more the rule than the exception. Yes, there are some very bright people that function at a high level and are safety aware, though they are not typically driving vans or buses.

Terrible photo. Looks like buses after terrorist bombings, or worse.

Bus and van accidents are ever recurring events.