Cost Of Living In Thailand - Our Actual Monthly Spend

8milesfromhome

My wife cheats herself. She is a very good cook and I much prefer her cooking to restaurants. When I am feeling sorry for her we do go to a decent restaurant. She considers this a household expense and pays the bill.

The socialites who spend the big money every month are certainly free to do so but I don't see the need for those people to criticize those of us who live comfortably on less than 50.000 baht a month.

My apologies to those who have children. You are in a different category than us old old retired people.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the blog! I however looked at the movie on you tube I saw very expensive shampoo in the scene with the shower. Yet the budget says 330 Baht.

Also the picture below says that you made 6 lunches and dinners from the shopping in the picture. Please tell me what you cooked I can make but 1. Also are you vegetarians?

Never the less nice blog.blogpics-1-2.jpg

Give them a break.. I see plenty of meals there. They have plenty of rice, curry paste, coconut milk to make the curry, and veggies to add to the curry. Lets not forget the eggs.

I know for some of you fat guys a dozen eggs is 1 meal but not for the rest of the population.

• Like 1

I would love to know of any restaurant in Bangkok, walkable from the BTS or MRT, where you can eat a reasonably sized Thai meal with two large bottles of beer for under 1,000 baht. May I add that it needs to be air-conditioned but not in a mall and there must be food without MSG added - the wife's requirements.

Your prayers are answered: Took Lae Dee in Foodland, Sukhumvit Soi 5, near the Nana station.

They are open again? Yes, this was a place were I used to eat affordable delicious meals. I'll have to go back and check it out again.

Single friend in Bangkok and I helped him out w. his budget before he moved here 3 years ago:

Rent(1 bed room near BTS/down town): 15000

electricity/water/maid/tel/internet: 6000

Health Insurance, meds, vitamins: 4000

Transport(taxi,train,bus,moto) 4000

Groceries Incl. some import treats: 5000

Other Incl: gifts, visa, clothes, sport: 4000

Entertainment: 6000

Total: 44.000 Baht/month before any flights(yearly to UK+maybe a trip elsewhere - so Estm.: another 6k/month when averaged out)

He has lived (fine) within that budget for the last 3 years - it includes clubbing and trips to beach Etc.

If he needed to save more for a couple of years he would look at reducing rent to 10k(new studio centrally located by BTS), dropping maid service,drop some import treats and reduce entertainment. Total savings about 10k/mth without TOO much pain he claims. Naturally travel would be reduced and the home leave to UK cut. That would have him around 34k/mth.

Cheers!

This reminds me of my student times. My budget was THB 40,000 plus rent. Rent was THB 8,000 in Soi Lang Suan, just under 30 sq.m. with aircon.

Give them a break.. I see plenty of meals there. They have plenty of rice, curry paste, coconut milk to make the curry, and veggies to add to the curry. Lets not forget the eggs.

I know for some of you fat guys a dozen eggs is 1 meal but not for the rest of the population.

I'm a skinny guy, but I don't like to go hungry.

Now, if there was a whole chicken in there, I could possibly make that last a week for myself only. But the guy has himself, his lady and his dog.

Now, if there was a whole chicken in there, I could possibly make that last a week for myself only. But the guy has himself, his lady and his dog.

and as a skinny guy you eat a dozen eggs a day or is that per sitting?

3 per sitting (for breakfast).

Bit quick with your sarcasm JAY, but read again, he said "I could possibly make that last a week for myself only."

Bit quick with your sarcasm JAY, but read again, he said "I could possibly make that last a week for myself only."

with a chicken....

Repeat after me: I must not answer posts about Thailand as though everybody lived in Bangkok / Pattaya and sends kids to International schools. It is not about jealousy on my part, I am doing ok with my ฿46 000 a month in Isaan, very well in fact. We do not live in a hovel.

• Like 1

3 per sitting (for breakfast).

Best get you cholesterol checked then. Just sayin'.

I could get six meals out of that lot easily. Probably more, but I do not eat large meals and I eat 6 times a day.

with a chicken....

Correct. Eggs for breakfast everyday (heart attack), chicken/veggies/potatoes/rice for lunch and dinner every day.

But the OP is a man, with a woman and a dog. So without that chicken, I see that fruit and veggies lasting 2 days max. Also there's not much protein in there except for eggs.

I would love to know of any restaurant in Bangkok, walkable from the BTS or MRT, where you can eat a reasonably sized Thai meal with two large bottles of beer for under 1,000 baht. May I add that it needs to be air-conditioned but not in a mall and there must be food without MSG added - the wife's requirements.

Your prayers are answered: Took Lae Dee in Foodland, Sukhumvit Soi 5, near the Nana station.

They are open again? Yes, this was a place were I used to eat affordable delicious meals. I'll have to go back and check it out again.

Yes, it's open and expanded. Had breakfast there a few weeks ago.

with a chicken....

Correct. Eggs for breakfast everyday (heart attack), chicken/veggies/potatoes/rice for lunch and dinner every day.

But the OP is a man, with a woman and a dog. So without that chicken, I see that fruit and veggies lasting 2 days max. Also there's not much protein in there except for eggs.

Actually it's the potatoes & rice that would be the problem. And Thai cooking typically uses too much sugar and salt.

I strongly support the necessity for the chicken!

Single friend in Bangkok and I helped him out w. his budget before he moved here 3 years ago:

Rent(1 bed room near BTS/down town): 15000

electricity/water/maid/tel/internet: 6000

Health Insurance, meds, vitamins: 4000

Transport(taxi,train,bus,moto) 4000

Groceries Incl. some import treats: 5000

Other Incl: gifts, visa, clothes, sport: 4000

Entertainment: 6000

Total: 44.000 Baht/month before any flights(yearly to UK+maybe a trip elsewhere - so Estm.: another 6k/month when averaged out)

He has lived (fine) within that budget for the last 3 years - it includes clubbing and trips to beach Etc.

If he needed to save more for a couple of years he would look at reducing rent to 10k(new studio centrally located by BTS), dropping maid service,drop some import treats and reduce entertainment. Total savings about 10k/mth without TOO much pain he claims. Naturally travel would be reduced and the home leave to UK cut. That would have him around 34k/mth.

Cheers!

30m2 and needs a maid?? oh hang on perhaps she doesnt clean eh?