Getting Stuff Delivered Here

chops

I'm getting some important items delivered here from back "home". They say they're sending it through the regular delivery, not DHL?

Anybody have any problems getting stuff delivered here? I'm so worried about it getting delivered to the wrong place. The address is dodgy looking like Moo 12 Tai or something.

I had a great experience with UPS a few days ago. Someone from their Bangkok office telephoned me because the sender had not put my complete address on the form. So, if it is not too late, have your sender put your telephone number on the form. As long as you use the postal address, they should be able to find you.

Stuff nicked in the post is usually done by the delivery person.

Two ways round this in Thailand.

1) Get the stuff addressed for collection at the central post office near you, add your phone number to the address.

2) Get the stuff addressed to someone with a Thai name at your address.

I've been receiving packages and mail from both the U.S. and UK for the better part of a year without a hitch. But I don't have anything ever delivered at home. I use a commercial mail-box service in Jomtien. The advice about an absolutely correct address with mobile number is spot on. As suggested, a Central Post Office is even better. My experience has been: If the item is not seriously expensive or personally valuable, then the International Mail/Parcel service is fine, a little slow, but reliable. If the item is sensitive in any way or it may raise a customs flag (those guys have their little rackets and look for stuff they can parlay like our friends in brown), then I use FedEx which is fast, secure, pretty unflaggable, but much more expensive shipping.

parcels from E bay purchases have never been a problem, but i always use PO BOX. home well if it made it here it would not be in the box long.

True story i had problems to the house so i painted a big number 6 on my blue rubbish bin outside the house, things went OK, for reasons best known to themselves the bin people leave the bin upside down after emptying ( makes more mess i guess) it was like that for 2-3 days and i got mail for number 9 a house few hundred yards away. TIT

Edited by marstons

parcels from E bay purchases have never been a problem, but i always use PO BOX. home well if it made it here it would not be in the box long.

True story i had problems to the house so i painted a big number 6 on my blue rubbish bin outside the house, things went OK, for reasons best known to themselves the bin people leave the bin upside down after emptying ( makes more mess i guess) it was like that for 2-3 days and i got mail for number 9 a house few hundred yards away. TIT

I thought you were going to say you found all your letters in the bin when you went to throw the rubbish away!

I thought you were going to say you found all your letters in the bin when you went to throw the rubbish away!

i am sure a few ended up in there, it does after all have the house number painted on it.

I regularly buy stuff on eBay delivered by standard post. Small and relatively inexpensive things like mobile phone batteries and parts. About 60% never turn up. EBay/PayPal cover it so financially its a non-issue, but the delay reordering and waiting the 20 days delivery usually takes is annoying.

Whatever you do, by no means ship anything by ship. I made that mistake when I moved here from the U.S.

You think you're done once you put it on the ship and send it here. No way, buster, the agony is just beginning.

Everyone at the port has their hand out and the whole Byzantine system is enough to make you break down and cry.

I paid almost as much on this end as I paid in Long Beach just to get my stuff. Not to mention having to go to BKK

when I wanted it shipped to Laem Chabeng. What a nightmare.