Six Tourists Among 10 Dead In Surat Thani VIP Bus Accident

webfact

ACCIDENT

Six tourists among 10 dead in coach crash

The Nation

30185458-01_big.jpg

SURAT THANI: -- Six foreign tourists and four other people were killed yesterday when their coach, bound for Koh Pha Ngan, blew a tyre at high speed, veered into a divider strip and slammed into a power pole before flipping on its side in a ditch.

The bus had left Bangkok and was carrying 24 passengers as well as the driver and two attendants at the time of the crash in Surat Thani's Kanchanadit district.

All of the 17 survivors sustained serious injuries. One of the dead foreigners was an Indian named James Amit, while the others were yet to be identified.

Police Colonel Suriya Nakkaew, superintendent of Kanchanadit Police Station, said the bodies of the 10 dead were taken to Surat Thani Hospital.

An inquiry suggested the bus may have been speeding when its right front tyre suddenly burst, causing the driver to lose control.

Witnesses told police the bus hit a traffic island at a U-turn before crashing into a power pole and plunging into the roadside gully.

High-tension lines were downed and the bus leaked gas when police and rescue workers arrived at the scene of the crash.

The electricity had to be cut off and fire engines were called before rescue workers started retrieving survivors from the mangled bus.

"Of the survivors, six are being treated at Kanchanadit Hospital and the rest at Surat Thani Hospital," Suriya said.

Governor Cherdsak Chusri and Panu Woramit, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand's Surat Thani Office, who visited the injured at Surat Thani Hospital, said they would help contact the relatives of the injured foreigners and help them get back to home countries.

The injured foreigners were Roverta Nortun (British), Jonathan Bennet, Push Pinder Kuma (Indian), Pinry Jain (Indian), Aashma Jain (Indian), Jasmine Maglige (Luxembourg), Michael Figue Magias (Luxembourg) and Kapi |Gaya (Zimbabwe).

The officials said they would also ensure that the dead foreigners' bodies would be sent back to their relatives in their countries.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-04

related topic:

Ten Dead, 17 Injured In Surat Thani VIP Bus Accident

http://www.thaivisa....p-bus-accident/

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw the tv reports of this one, if they're to be believed there was at least one passenger who tried to reason with the (speeding) driver and was told to shut up or get off.

I only wish people would stop calling them accidents, perhaps only when they start charging people with negligent homicide (bus owners - for badly maintained vehicles and/or using untrained drivers) or wilful homicide (speeding/drunk/high drivers) things will start to change.

the amount of times i've known that drivers have been on meth in a vehicle i've been carried in doesn't bear thinking about.

• Like 2

I just do get it....when oh when ill decent toursist stop coming to Thailand. There is nothing here anymore compared to new alternative destinations and the peopl in the tourists trade be it the owners of hotels, the management, the tour groups, the tourists attractions owners, restaurants, etc are not the least genuinely interested in the welfare of tourists but only about their own pockets......thai style!

over the past 30years i have seen some horrendous aftermaths of vehicle crashes in thailand when you see the condition of the buses cars ect.it makes me wonder how they end up as if a bomb had been onboard complete devastation,speed[they dont have speed regulators] and inferior materials used in the production.as there were so many deaths and serious injuries i am sure the wearing of seat belts has got to be made law.anyone who doesnt wear one is a potential missile.r.i.p.and speedy recovery to all the injured.

• Like 1

I just saw the tv reports of this one, if they're to be believed there was at least one passenger who tried to reason with the (speeding) driver and was told to shut up or get off.

I only wish people would stop calling them accidents, perhaps only when they start charging people with negligent homicide (bus owners - for badly maintained vehicles and/or using untrained drivers) or wilful homicide (speeding/drunk/high drivers) things will start to change.

Reporters interviewed a Thai passenger in hospital and she said a farang asked the driver to slow down, but he ignored him.

• Like 2

Out of respect for the dead we must demand that a thorough investigation is carried out.

Out of respect for the dead we must demand that vehicle maintenance in Thailand is vastly improved.

Out of respect for the dead we must demand that public service vehicle drivers are highly trained.

Out of respect for the dead we must demand that the Thai authorities crack down on anti-social driving.

If we don't do that, then there will be far more dead, far more people maimed, far more widows and orphans.

So for all those people on the other thread that said let's not turn this into Thai bashing........if this happened in our own countries our press, our people, and our authorities would be all over it in minute detail.

It's not Thai bashing, it's unacceptable practice bashing, and even if this accident was a simple unforseeable tyre burst, it's better for everybody that the Thai authorities investigate it and learn the lessons from it the same way our authorities would.

RIP to the victims, the best tribute would be to work hard to prevent it from happening again, not by becoming Thai apologists.

That helps no one........least of all Thailand.

You know posting demands via TV will make no difference whatsoever. TV is useful forum to provide information, warning, concerns and frustration, but to repeat will not make any difference to practices in this country. If people wish to try and influence safety considerations in Thailand, the only way to be heard is to write/email respective embassies.

Hospital contacts are as follows Surat Thani Hospital which can be contacted at 66 77 272 231 and 66 77 284 231 and Kanjanadit Hospital at 66 77 244518-9.

And Friends or relatives may wish to contact their own embassies to assist in translation

• Like 1

Totally agree with Theblether.

Unfortunately it usually takes a tragedy to trigger a review, as in the aviation industry, but this MUST happen. If not, then I am afraid, negligence all round must be considered. What CANNOT happen is to think that this is an isolated incident of bad luck, and continue on without any further thought.

A full investigation, review of the regulations, amendment of regulations if needed, and implementation of safety improvements needs to happen AS A PRIORITY.

Also within regulatory framework, provisions need to be in place for enforcement, with appropriate penalties for operators that do not wish to comply. A person getting on a bus is a fare paying passenger, and is entitled to be assured that there is appropriate framework in place for safe travel.

This will not stop accidents, but all needs to be in place to reduce them. Aircraft still crash, after being subject to some of the strictest regulatory oversight of any industry, however, the industry continually strives for safety improvements and a reduction in accidents/ incidents.

The road transport Industry could do well to adopt some of the framework in place for aviation, tailored to its needs.

• Like 2

Out of respect for the dead future living passengers we must demand that a thorough investigation is carried out.

Out of respect for the dead future living passengers we must demand that vehicle maintenance in Thailand is vastly improved.

Out of respect for the dead future living passengers we must demand that public service vehicle drivers are highly trained.

Out of respect for the dead future living passengers we must demand that the Thai authorities crack down on anti-social driving.

If we don't do that, then there will be far more dead, far more people maimed, far more widows and orphans.

So for all those people on the other thread that said let's not turn this into Thai bashing........if this happened in our own countries our press, our people, and our authorities would be all over it in minute detail.

It's not Thai bashing, it's unacceptable practice bashing, and even if this accident was a simple unforseeable tyre burst, it's better for everybody that the Thai authorities investigate it and learn the lessons from it the same way our authorities would.

RIP to the victims, the best tribute would be to work hard to prevent it from happening again, not by becoming Thai apologists.

Whatever you demand, it won't bring back the passengers who didn't survive.

Unfortunately it usually takes a tragedy to trigger a review, as in the aviation industry, but this MUST happen. If not, then I am afraid, negligence all round must be considered. What CANNOT happen is to think that this is an isolated incident of bad luck, and continue on without any further thought.

A full investigation, review of the regulations, amendment of regulations if needed, and implementation of safety improvements needs to happen AS A PRIORITY.

Also within regulatory framework, provisions need to be in place for enforcement, with appropriate penalties for operators that do not wish to comply. A person getting on a bus is a fare paying passenger, and is entitled to be assured that there is appropriate framework in place for safe travel.

This will not stop accidents, but all needs to be in place to reduce them. Aircraft still crash, after being subject to some of the strictest regulatory oversight of any industry, however, the industry continually strives for safety improvements and a reduction in accidents/ incidents.

The road transport Industry could do well to adopt some of the framework in place for aviation, tailored to its needs.

Your quite right it normally takes a tragedy to trigger a review. How many tragedies does it take to trigger a review in Thailand? Bus and coach deaths seem very common in Thailand for years but nothing has ever been done since the very first tragedy and it is business as usual. Nothing will change people will continue to die and the bus owners will get richer.

• Like 1

When will thai government bring in laws to stop this regular carnage .First tyre laws i have seen buses in bus stations with bald tyres , second speed limiters same as in the uk , third drivers hours , i was on a bus recently driver was behind the wheel for more than 10 hours without a break, drive till you drop that is the norm on thai buses, its bloody crazy what most bus drivers do, finally r.i.p.

until you actually experience some sort of thai madness you cant imagine how scared you become.i am terrified of traveling long journeys in taxi's buses after getting away without injury i saw it coming so i braced myself.me and mrs meat was travelling by limo when i noticed the driver was excellerateing one moment fast then slow when i looked at him and saw he was closing his his eye's and blinking quickly before i could wake up the mrs.he was heading for the back of a big lorry i shouted at him and swung the wheel causing the car to veer right into the ditch that used to be in between the old bkk to pattaya rd.[80's].the limo was run by one of the bigest co's in thailand 1200bht one way was not cheap but the driver was,reported him but never recieved an apology and never used them again.now if we have to travel far the mrs. always tell the driver take it easy and you will get double,we have done this all over the world and i feel a lot safer although i can never go to sleep and yes i always belt up.

If you look where this happened, there are two high speed, but relatively sharp corners there, possibly putting enough stresses on the tire to cause a failure. The 2nd corner, which is sharper, is a right turn, thus most of the busses weight would be on the front left tire. If it started to go from that stress, but lasted a little longer it would explain the location. The 3am onward serious vibrations report ( in the other paper), could indicated a tire having problems, and it only took one last large stress to cause it to fail. With a fresh driver, then this makes the burst tire scenario more plausibile.

So sad. RIP all.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

Out of respect for the dead we must demand that a thorough investigation is carried out.

Out of respect for the dead we must demand that vehicle maintenance in Thailand is vastly improved.

Out of respect for the dead we must demand that public service vehicle drivers are highly trained.

Out of respect for the dead we must demand that the Thai authorities crack down on anti-social driving.

Absolutely! 100% correct and well said.

Why are people, especially westerners, still riding in these mini-vans and VIP busses with all the press about how many accidents and deaths there are? The quickest way to save lives, is don't travel in Thailand in those death traps. Some of the responsibility does have to be shared with those who willingly hop on board. You can't say it is 100% the driver, the company, or the government. True, they are 100% responsible for driving well with well maintained vehicles. But passengers are responsible for their decision to get on. I have lived here 6 years and I never ride in them even though I have no car. I don't see why the plane or the train aren't chosen first. If they don't go where you want to go, don't go there unless you except and understand the risks associated.

There have been several bus and mini accidents in the past several months. And what have they triggered? More accidents.

RIP

happening way, way too often in thailand lately this is. perhaps it's time tourist authorities started properly advising their citizens of the risks inherent to bus travel when holidaying in thailand.

I just do get it....when oh when ill decent toursist stop coming to Thailand. There is nothing here anymore compared to new alternative destinations and the peopl in the tourists trade be it the owners of hotels, the management, the tour groups, the tourists attractions owners, restaurants, etc are not the least genuinely interested in the welfare of tourists but only about their own pockets......thai style!

Oh trust me, the climax on the numbers of tourists a year is finished. But this will happen again no matter what we say. And Thailannd would not be the only country.

From the photo, the bus looks like it ran into a solid wall with those incredible damages. Yet it just ran into an electric pole. Just unbelievable that they put such solid constructions (made of concrete) next to the roads. They should of course have poles like in other countries that fall over easy, thus saving the lives of the people in the cars that eventually collide into such items.

Lives and concrete are cheap I guess...

WB

Why are people, especially westerners, still riding in these mini-vans and VIP busses with all the press about how many accidents and deaths there are? The quickest way to save lives, is don't travel in Thailand in those death traps. Some of the responsibility does have to be shared with those who willingly hop on board. You can't say it is 100% the driver, the company, or the government. True, they are 100% responsible for driving well with well maintained vehicles. But passengers are responsible for their decision to get on. I have lived here 6 years and I never ride in them even though I have no car. I don't see why the plane or the train aren't chosen first. If they don't go where you want to go, don't go there unless you except and understand the risks associated.

Because its cheap and convenient I use this service 5-6 times a year to get to BKK from Samui and back and until now I have had no personal reason not to use the bus. However after this story being quite close to home me and the wife pause for thought and will probably use the train next time even if it is slow and a pain to get too. Better to get to your destination safely I guess.

Lucky you that you can avoid this means of transport. However the train and certainly flying (from samui) is just out of the question for most budget/time conscious people.

In the end the VIP bus is cheep, comfortable, convenient and safe (most of the time)

Edited by williamrobson

You're obviously speaking for every tour operator, hotel, restaurant, attraction right? You were after all voted to be the spokesman, right? You know nothing of what your write so keep your thoughts to yourself. Andy byt the way, some of the keys on your keyboard obviously aren't working correctly - but as you're a farang and as this is Thailand, there's a conspiracy, right?

This is terrible news and my deepest condolences go to those who suffered with this event, but just because it happened in Thailand doesn't mean it to be negligent manslaughter. There could be several reasons why it happened. I agree totally with the first post in this series, there must be a genuine and independent investigation that we all hope will lead to stricter and enforced safety measures.

Thats a lot of demands and the end result is a lot of promises and no action....I agree entirely with what you say and also the necessity to make these demands but cant help feeling that in reality it simply is a total waste of time, not that I can offer a better siolution

On more than one occassion have I asked a taxi or tour bus to stop becaue I have felt unsafe due to reckless driving. Its a fact of life in this country and changing the mentlity of the average driver is process that will take decades of education and strict enforcement of traffic laws.,something that I dont think the governhment or authorities have any serious interest or motiovation to regulate or control.

Whereas in a more develoiped country it is quite possible for the average citizen to affect change and force higher standards on operaters throiugh selective use, that is something unlikely to happen here.

Personally I believe that this kind of traagedy and uneccesssary loss of life is not something that will end any time soon. I dont see in reality where a real and lasting solution will come from, not in the next 10 years or so anyway.

I think it is up to the individual to be very selective about the transport they use and when you dont feel safe get off, its not worth your life.