Oil Paint...

chiangrai

It also depends on the finish.

If the paint is high gloss , or even semi gloss , and the new paint is Flat finish , then you might have a problem.

where if it is Flat finish to begin with, then most anything will adhere to it. regardless of if the paint is Oil or water based.That is why primer is flat.

A note of caution if the oil paint is fresh, do not attempt to paint with water based paint over it as the water and oil don't mix, you must wait for the oil base paint to dry well.

If the paint is high gloss , or even semi gloss , and the new paint is Flat finish , then you might have a problem.

where if it is Flat finish to begin with, then most anything will adhere to it. regardless of if the paint is Oil or water based.That is why primer is flat.

A note of caution if the oil paint is fresh, do not attempt to paint with water based paint over it as the water and oil don't mix, you must wait for the oil base paint to dry well.

Nonsense he will not have a problem apart from just keying it with a bit with some fine glasspaper and the the oil based paint is not new it is old so stop scare mongering.

Nonsense he will not have a problem apart from just keying it with a bit with some fine glasspaper and the the oil based paint is not new it is old so stop scare mongering.

all good info and no "scare mongering"

notice the qualifying "if" in my respond,

I think before attributing motives to my response, you should read a little more carefully.

all good info and no "scare mongering"

notice the qualifying "if" in my respond,

I think before attributing motives to my response, you should read a little more carefully.

Apologizes for blunt reply :) but he was posting about a previously painted wall not a freshly painted one, it's a very straight forward paint job.