Where Are The Farangs At Immigration?

dvg

Had an online appointment this morning at 11.00,was there 10.40 and there was room at

the parking!! Came insite and there was plenty of room to sit!! Was called at 11.10 and finished

at 11.30 and when I turned around,there were only 19 people left in the waitingroom.!!Had to wait

another 15 min and when I was leaving the office there were only 12 people.

This was the first time in 9 years or so,I did see so little farangs at the immigrationoffice,unreal!!

The place was heaving yesterday, couldn't get in the door most of the day, they were hanging from the rafters and they'd nearly run out of forms, I expected to see riot police deployed to do crowd control. biggrin.png

• Like 1

PVG

I can only agree!

I went along today at 1300 to request a permit to re-enter Thailand. I managed to get two numbers short of the calling at counter one, no problem parking and lots of seats. Why? No idea!

Somebody wins the lottery, somebody gets to marry Angelina and somebody has a good day at Immigration. Think I'd trade door three for

either one or two, but Immigration must be payback for some bad karma.. It took us three visits to Immigration and one to the US Consulate to take care of paperwork that should have taken

a couple hours at one visit at most. Not accepting the same paperwork they had for the last three years, wanting copies of passport pages

that had not a single Thai stamp or visa on them and walking away from the desk rather than even try to explain why they were asking for

certain materials. Waiting in line for copies STOPS all progress on anything for the 10-15 minutes wait. Great cellphone/coffee/facebook break

for the staff though.

We arrived at Immigration by 6:30 AM and on a couple of days we were in the 30's on the sign-up sheet. Friend arrived at 5:20 AM one day

and was still #2. Every time we were there the sign-up sheet had been pulled well before 8:00 with 75 people signed up. Then the overflow

started gathering and the place was a zoo. I give credit to Immigration for having a sign-up system now, an on-line system that seems to

work as long as you plan three months in advance (will do next year) and for air conditioning the main waiting area. Otherwise it looks like

some scene out of a Monty Python show.

If you had a great time at Immigration I don't want to hear about it and don't bother buying any lottery tickets or calling Katie Holmes (Cruise)

you've used up all your luck.

I heard their leader waved his staff over the ping river, parted the waves and they all disappeared over to the promised land where visas are not required.

And if you don`t believe that, than it`s because there are good days, bad days, good and bad periods during the day to visit Immigration. Which is which, no one knows and when our visas are due, all we can do is hope for the best.

PVG

I can only agree!

I went along today at 1300 to request a permit to re-enter Thailand. I managed to get two numbers short of the calling at counter one, no problem parking and lots of seats. Why? No idea!

Tired/hangover from the 4th of july celebrations?

Somebody wins the lottery, somebody gets to marry Angelina and somebody has a good day at Immigration. Think I'd trade door three for

either one or two, but Immigration must be payback for some bad karma.. It took us three visits to Immigration and one to the US Consulate to take care of paperwork that should have taken

a couple hours at one visit at most. Not accepting the same paperwork they had for the last three years, wanting copies of passport pages

that had not a single Thai stamp or visa on them and walking away from the desk rather than even try to explain why they were asking for

certain materials. Waiting in line for copies STOPS all progress on anything for the 10-15 minutes wait. Great cellphone/coffee/facebook break

for the staff though.

We arrived at Immigration by 6:30 AM and on a couple of days we were in the 30's on the sign-up sheet. Friend arrived at 5:20 AM one day

and was still #2. Every time we were there the sign-up sheet had been pulled well before 8:00 with 75 people signed up. Then the overflow

started gathering and the place was a zoo. I give credit to Immigration for having a sign-up system now, an on-line system that seems to

work as long as you plan three months in advance (will do next year) and for air conditioning the main waiting area. Otherwise it looks like

some scene out of a Monty Python show.

If you had a great time at Immigration I don't want to hear about it and don't bother buying any lottery tickets or calling Katie Holmes (Cruise)

you've used up all your luck.

Getting to Immigration at 5:20 or 6:30 or whatever is completely unnecessary.

Went in for my appointment on thursday, June 21st. at 10:00. Extension process took 30 minutes. There were empty seats in the waiting room and a couple of empty spaces in the parking lot. It was almost surreal.

Could be Thusday's the day to go.

If you're just going to Immigration for a 90 day report, go there around 11:15, 45 minutes before they break for lunch and the longest you'll have to wait is 45 minutes. If you're going for a visa renewal, use the online system and book an appointment and you'll be done and dusted in under an hour.

• Like 1

If you're just going to Immigration for a 90 day report, go there around 11:15, 45 minutes before they break for lunch and the longest you'll have to wait is 45 minutes. If you're going for a visa renewal, use the online system and book an appointment and you'll be done and dusted in under an hour.

CM when doing as you suggest ( I have an appointment )

Once there what is the check in procedure if any?

Thanks

Personally I've managed to fix things up so I never have to go to immigration, but for those that do, it seems that we Westerners have this thing about getting chores like immigration done first thing in the morning so that queues build up even before thy open. The smart money seems to be to go around 2.30-3pm when things are quieter. The above posts seem to bear this out.

• Like 1

Thanks

None really, someone will call your name around the appointed time. On the otherhand, the last time I used the booking system I showed up twenty minutes early, walked in and was immediately asked for my name and waved in to start my appointment early since the previous person had not shown up, the result was that I was finished before my allocated start time!

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

Personally I've managed to fix things up so I never have to go to immigration, but for those that do, it seems that we Westerners have this thing about getting chores like immigration done first thing in the morning so that queues build up even before thy open. The smart money seems to be to go around 2.30-3pm when things are quieter. The above posts seem to bear this out.

I couldn't agree more, if anyone has ever driven past Immigration at 08:00 and seen the massive queues they will understand, late morning or afternoon is much more civillised.

Thanks

None really, someone will call your name around the appointed time. On the otherhand, the last time I used the booking system I showed up twenty minutes early, walked in and was immediately asked for my name and waved in to start my appointment early since the previous person had not shown up, the result was that I was finished before my allocated start time!

....and don't forget to bring the printout (with your code #) of your appointment, they will stamp it and keep it, for reasons unknown to me. smile.png

• Like 2

Thanks

....and don't forget to bring the printout (with your code #) of your appointment, they will stamp it and keep it, for reasons unknown to me. smile.png

For burning in March along with all the 90 day reports.

• Like 1

Thanks

Thanks CM & Semper

After having been through various tasks I am starting to think I may buy a printer after all.

Originally thought I would not need one here....but every official task needs various copies & at times the original is

only on my computer

'For burning in March along with all the 90 day reports.'

Really?

At the risk of appearing a complete dense imbecile - what does happen to all of that paperwork? It would need several warehouses to store a years worth

for Chiang Mai alone. If you plus that up to cover every Immigration office in Thailand..... makes you think!

Thanks

Thanks, I forgot that part!

Heres a good idea for people around chang mai why not have a day out go to immigration mae hong son when i have gone threre in the past never seen a farang only me, in out 5 minutes, last time lady at immigration made me a coffee, thats how busy she was.

Thanks

I was talking to someone from immigration and they were saying there are quite a few no shows for the online queue appts.

I think it would be worth noting that if people want the system to carry on (and it does seem very efficient), they should use it properly. So maybe a note to all those who make appts to show up and on time, otherwise I believe they do have online cancellation if you can no longer make it to the appt.

• Like 2

Thanks CM & Semper

After having been through various tasks I am starting to think I may buy a printer after all.

Originally thought I would not need one here....but every official task needs various copies & at times the original is

only on my computer

I don't have a printer either, but I save documents that I want printed to a memory stick, and then take that little device to a photocopy shop to have a print made for 1 baht. Much cheaper than a printer and the incidental related headaches.

• Like 1

only on my computer

I actually think that a scanner/printer is a good investment here, it makes it easy to make all the photocopies needed for Immigration, passport, TM7 etc. It also means it's easy to make a wallet sized photocopy of your passport for emergency ID purposes etc. Oh no, I feel another debate about "do I need to carry my passport with me all the time", everybody, don't do it, please. biggrin.png

Another aspect of the above is that I keep all my medical/dental records on my PC, copies of x-rays, biopsies and test results, MRI's etc, I recently needed to visit a hospital in Singapore and was able to give the doctor there a CD with all my medical history on it, useful.

• Like 1

'For burning in March along with all the 90 day reports.'

Really?

At the risk of appearing a complete dense imbecile - what does happen to all of that paperwork? It would need several warehouses to store a years worth

for Chiang Mai alone. If you plus that up to cover every Immigration office in Thailand..... makes you think!

All that paper is rubbish!

They don't have a nerd somewhere going through every single photocopy of every 90 day report.

I reckon they burn everything once a year on the hills in March and blame the farmers.

Thanks CM & Semper

only on my computer

I don't have a printer either, but I save documents that I want printed to a memory stick, and then take that little device to a photocopy shop to have a print made for 1 baht. Much cheaper than a printer and the incidental related headaches.

Thanks & yes I have been doing the same.

I have been reluctant to buy a printer mainly due to space as I live in a condo

I actually think that a scanner/printer is a good investment here, it makes it easy to make all the photocopies needed for Immigration, passport, TM7 etc. It also means it's easy to make a wallet sized photocopy of your passport for emergency ID purposes etc. Oh no, I feel another debate about "do I need to carry my passport with me all the time", everybody, don't do it, please. biggrin.png

Another aspect of the above is that I keep all my medical/dental records on my PC, copies of x-rays, biopsies and test results, MRI's etc, I recently needed to visit a hospital in Singapore and was able to give the doctor there a CD with all my medical history on it, useful.

Yes CM I do miss that feature/scanning as I use to do the same as you & scan many things into my computer.

Does come in handy & saves paper filing space