Coming In On A One-way Ticket

Hey all. I'm a newbie and although I've checked the forum, if I missed a post that addresses this issue I apologize.

Anyway, I'm moving from Japan to Thailand, but I have no official visa. I plan to get a tourist visa upon entrance - I'm American.

A number of travel agents here in Japan are saying that I won't be allowed in Thailand on a one-way ticket - if I don't have a ticket out of the country, they won't let me in. This seems pretty excessive to me - how many people come in to Thailand by plane but plan to leave another way?

Can anyone tell me if this is true? If I come in on a one-way will I be refused entrance? Is it possible to buy some other ticket - say, a bus to Laos or something - and get that in hand and show that? Is it even possible to get such a ticket printed out when I'm so far away?

Thanks for any help you can give or experiences you can share.

You can not obtain a tourist visa on arrival in Thailand. You must obtain prior to travel. The only thing you can obtain on arrival is a 30 day entry stamp without visa which happens to require a confirmed onward air ticket within 30 days. Immigration is not likely to ask to see that ticket but the airline you travel on may well deny boarding if you do not have it.

So if you do not want to pay for an onward ticket you should consider a tourist visa from the Royal Thai Consulate in Japan before you travel.

The RT Embassy web-page requires for issuing a tourist visa:

5. Airline ticket (fully paid) with flight no., date of entry/exit and name

* Open ticket is not acceptable

Source:

http://www.thaiembassy.jp/visa-e/tourist.htm

Travel agents in Japan are allowed to make the application on your behalve. Thye will provide the Embassy with a 'visa' ticket for the visa purpose. You can then leave with your 'real' one way ticket. This is common practice in Japan. The travel agency will charge some fee for the service.