How Do You Get Your Thai Girlfriend To Save Money?

AngelofDeath

I've been having this problem for a long time. Some of you might know that I have to save between 5 million to 10 millions bahts within 2 years for our future (my girlfriend's and mine), else the unthinkable will happen - and I don't want it to happen.

Firstly, the problem is my girlfriend can't really think ahead or can't think of the importance of saving money for the future. Her reasoning is that we can't predict what will happen in the future, therefore, she want to enjoy life to the fullest, even if it means miraculously waking up to the next day and finding herself alive but with no money to pay for the meals for that day. Anyone of you whose thai girlfriend has this mindset too? How do you change her mindset? I tried explaining to her about how the economy is not doing well; how prices of daily necessities are going up except for her salary etc. She acknowledges these facts but doesn't seems to care.

Secondly, whenever we get together for a meal, she will order expensive meals that cost 600 bahts in total. Worst of all, she can't finish the food that she ordered.

Thirdly, she loves to buy shirts, dresses and shoes weekly. As a result of that, she uses up her monthly salary within three weeks. She said the things are cheap here so she won't feel the pinch when she buys. However, if you think about it, a little a day makes up a heap. After that, she will ask me for 5000 or 8000 bahts to tide her over. If I don't give it to her, she will call me a stingy person and then borrow from her friends.

What all this problems mean to me is that it will cause me to reach my goal to earn 5 or 10 millions bahts at a slower rate (over the 2 years timeframe). If your thai girlfriend exhibits similar problems like these, please share your experience whether you succeed in changing these sorts of behaviours and mindsets.

Thank you pals!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't give her any, then she'll hang on to what she's got.

If you keep shelling out time after time, she isn't going to save.

Posts like this are rummy and there are many on here similar. It's almost like to some, having a Thai girlfriend is like having a pet that they need to learn to look after.

Sad.

and if you pet them they will only get worse....

pet me for a few months and see how demanding I can get laugh.png

Firstly, don't worry about her saving, you save with an account in your name.

Secondly, if you are paying the bill, consult with her but then you order the food for both of you (if she pays, she can order)

Thirdly, don't lend her money, don't pay her debts.

Thinking of the future.

In the west those who didn't plan for the winters all died of cold or starvation, those who did lived and reproduced.

In Thailand it is never really cold, and there is always food growing, so those who planned ahead had no reproductive advantage.

• Like 1

this reminds me of a similar problem I had back in the west when I had a lemonade run.

one particular attractive single lady had run up a large bill and I needed paying.

I normally sent the help but he was too scared to ask for settlement of the bill.

anyway, one saturday morning I went to the door myself. I knocked and sure enough she came to the door in a house coat.

when I asked for the settlement of the bill (40 pounds) she pulled the house coat opened and asked me,

" Can you take it out of this?"

I was quiet for a second as I had a look and pondered her proposal. I replied,

"Don't you have anything smaller?"

She promptly paid me but never bought from me again. Shame.

Nice story. If only it were true...

You need to save between 200,000 baht and 400,000 baht per month respectively to reach your 5 million - 10 million baht target in 2 years.

In this context, I got the impression from the introduction to the thread that the sums your girlfriend are spending are not going to move the dial much.

To put things in perspective, I think you need to put some numbers down on paper.

How much do you earn?

How much does she earn?

How much do you spend?

How much does she spend?

What is the net aggregate saving?

It might be that increasing your income is much easier (and more effective in achieving your overall objective) than changing your girlfriend's spending habits.

• Like 1

I totally agree with those that say give her X amount per month and no more than that. Then you save money in YOUR account for the future. If she decides you are too sticky with your money and leaves at least you have your savings.

When they buy that much food they cannot eat it all I find it annoying. Tell her if she does it again she will pay for her food. Put your foot down now and see where it all leads.

If you do love her and care for her it makes life hard for you now but if you do not put your foot down you can almost guarantee it will be worse for you later.

Think of her as a child, even a spoilt child and treat her as you would that child to correct her ways. Cruel to be kind and all that :)

There is a solution when your partner orders too much food and can't finish her dinner...

You can take her plate and finish off the food, which will embarass her... if she is not embarassed, lick the plate clean... if she is still not embarassed, lick the serving bowls clean...

She will order less next time or dump you... either way, you will save a few baht and be around 0.001% closer to reaching the 10 million baht target

• Like 2

Over ordering food is a very Chinese characteristic ...... Is she Thai-Chinese by any chance?

Does she have a degree?

Are her parents wealthy?

I am afraid some will fail to grasp your sarcasm, without reference to this

• Like 1

Over ordering food is a very Chinese characteristic ...... Is she Thai-Chinese by any chance?

Does she have a degree?

Are her parents wealthy?

is it really???

I see it as a characteristic that many Thai people have when someone else is footing the bill....been going on for years!

• Like 1

I think asking advice on Thai Visa on how to change his girl's habits is bad enough. If you cannot reason with her in any way then there is not much more to be said is there?

Yep, the girl is not going to change her habits on her own and any thoughts of using reason is laughable.

Lock her in the house.But if you really want to save money dont have a thai gf.

Best idea. Cost of a Thai gf is 2:1. However much it costs the OP to live alone he should expect to pay an additional 2 times as much. This is in no way an absolute but it is not far off being one.

• Like 1

Another view can be that GF comes from a poor background and learned to live day to day and has not adjusted.

Most poor girls have been married before and their husbands left them once they had children. I have been working with Christian organizations to help single mothers. The main problem is there is no child support law here. A man can have children and just leave. There has been a large number of Thai ladies now who have children from westerners who leave them when they become pregnant. The guy know they will not be punished so they just find a new girlfriend or move on.

Until there is a child support law this will continue, sad to say. I have talked to lawmakers but the men don't want to hear it as I am sure they have fathered children they don't want to take care of. Women who run for office tell me if they run on this platform they will loose as the men are in control.

It is very difficult to stop this problem. Please help support a law that stops dead beat dads as the children are the worst sufferers not just the mothers.

Kind regards,

Randy

• Like 1