Good American Pizza In Thailand

Ulysses G.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Italian pizza and American pizza are very different, and a good American pizza is far superior because of the taste and texture of the crust.

Where can I get a good one in Thailand? :o

I wrote a topic in the Bangkok area about Bangkok Pizza (www.Bangkokpizza.com).

Those guys are new and they are making New York style pizza at very good price and quality. I recommend it.

that said, I must sadly report that over the last decade or so the quality in NY has plummeted and the original version been sadly perverted....happened along with the shrinking to near extinction of Little Italy and gradual movement of Italian-Americans out of the city. . On my last visit I was truly horrified to see toppings such as broccoli and pineapple on the menu at ordinary hole-in-the wall NYC pizza places. Actually best place to get NY Pizza now seems to be New Jersey, Long Island and southern Florida, where all the former denizens of old Italian neighborhoods and their progeny have moved. Which still leaves open the question of where to get it (or the closest thing) in Bangkok....

I agree, the pizza in NYC (Manhattan) pizza in many shops was getting rough when I left, but Queens and Brooklyn, as well as LI and NJ suburbs by the city are great. Myself, I prefer the thin crust pizza you find at these Mom and pop shops in those areas. My family always got plain cheese, massive toppings are something that has evolved, it was not like that when I was a kid.

In Thailand, I always felt Ronnie's did a good job, but it was better when Ronnie was there. The new guys are affable enough, but it was Ronnie's' recipe and I think there has been some changes. Bangkok Pizza on Suk 24/1 is a far better delivery option than Pizza Co or Pizza Hut in case you live too far from Ronnie's – and they have a second location somewhere as well.

I will make one more suggestion – though I would not classify it as NY style pizza, do give Maria Pizza on Silom (way down by the water near the first Central I believe – not the Central by Silom Complex) a try. They have good pizzas and the prices are very reasonable. Staff needs a bit of work, but they get your order right anyway.

By the way, I find it amazing that so many people can lose their civility in a discussion over pizza. It appears that the evils many people attribute to America have now entered the pizza realm...amazing.

Well I finally had occasion to go into Bangkok and made a beeline for Bangkok Pizza to check in out....and pleased to report that it is very, very good...easily the best pizza I've had anywhere in Asia.

One of the 2 owners is a New Yorker and they are turning out as close to a NY Pizza as is possible outside of NYC (impossible to ever totally equal the Pizza in NYC as apparently the NYC tap water plays a role in the taste of the dough, as it also does for the bagels...)

As a native NYer, I highly recommend it!!

Pizza Hut is mostly for the homeless, people in a real hurry or children.

No one in American thinks of that as a good pizza, but foreigners have the idea that Pizza Hut is a typical American Pizza. I can assure you that no one over 15 gets together with friends to eat at Pizza Hut. They go somewhere GOOD!

Misinformed people who think that Pizza Hut is typical of the US are the only ones who would claim that Italian style is better. It is like a tasteless cracker covered with tomato sauce. :o

im 51 and i go there with my friends ! ,but i dont see it as american, normally quiet in there !

you are the negative indicator

My Italian buddy said that American style pizza is for barbarians!!! :D He said the crust/base isn't supposed to be thick. He made us some pizza with parma ham, mozarella and rocket leaves...beautiful! Also some pasta with juicy linguistines follwed by his tiramisu! :o

Italians are pretty regional people, and from region to region, there are totally different styles.

I went with an Italian friend to my favourite NY style pizza, Bangkok Pizza (www.bangkokpizza.com), and he love it.

Most people do not like Italian pizza exactly for this reason, thin crusty base. Too dry.

• 2 weeks later...
One of the 2 owners is a New Yorker and they are turning out as close to a NY Pizza as is possible outside of NYC (impossible to ever totally equal the Pizza in NYC as apparently the NYC tap water plays a role in the taste of the dough, as it also does for the bagels...)

So i take it the Bangkok tap water is now playing an active part?

Actually, might explain some of the pizzas around here....

Did some checks on the net about "New York tap water" and how it helps the dough and found that it seems to be more of a theory than anything else- found no hard evidence. if anyone has any real proof of how the tap water in NY really makes the pizza dough there better ide like to hear it.

I just hope no one here is using bangkok tap water with their dough. yugh...

Did some checks on the net about "New York tap water" and how it helps the dough and found that it seems to be more of a theory than anything else- found no hard evidence. if anyone has any real proof of how the tap water in NY really makes the pizza dough there better ide like to hear it.

Its not just the pizza. Its the bagels too. They really do taste different in New York. I think its ever more obvious with the bagels because they're all about the dough. The weather conditions would be relevant as well. Not to mention a good recipe, chef, and oven. But, please, I am not even a New Yorker, but some New Yorker beliefs are sacred.

Its da wadder. You gotta problem wid dat?

After meeting with several chefs, the consensus is the water. The mineral content of New York water, which comes from the Catskills has a unique effect on the rising and the flavor to the dough.

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_111/asliceofnewyork.html

You want scientific proof? Better not ask on the many republican presidential candidates who don't believe in evolution.

Edited by Jingthing

Its not just the pizza. Its the bagels too. They really do taste different in New York. I think its ever more obvious with the bagels because they're all about the dough. The weather conditions would be relevant as well. Not to mention a good recipe, chef, and oven. But, please, I am not even a New Yorker, but some New Yorker beliefs are sacred.

Its da wadder. You gotta problem wid dat?

After meeting with several chefs, the consensus is the water. The mineral content of New York water, which comes from the Catskills has a unique effect on the rising and the flavor to the dough.
http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_111/asliceofnewyork.html

You want scientific proof? Better not ask on the many republican presidential candidates who don't believe in evolution.

This pizza guy from NY disagrees about the water - he seems to really be into his NY pizza too. i have to say though i think if he was to serve pizza like that to thai people they would say its burnt or overcooked.

http://jvpizza.sliceny.com/

• 2 weeks later...
I finally tried Bangkok Pizza and it is the best American Pizza that I have had in Thailand other than The Duke's in Chiang Mai. I think that it is pretty much of a draw between the two places.

Thanks Ulysses, I have try to promote this shop on the Bangok forum because I also think is the best pizza I have had in Bangkok, and it took me years to find it....get it on www.bangkokpizza.com

Ronny's was good when it had the original owner years ago, but the new owners cut costs and use cheap ingredients. Also, they have their business up for sale for 4M baht. I have been eating Bangkok Pizza since they opened. Like any new restaurant getting their sea legs I have had some issues with consistency early on. But, these guys (owners from Brooklyn, NY & Aussie) really love their pizza and have really pulled off the best ###### pizza I have had in Asia, let alone Bangkok. Pizzas now come hot and yummy every time and i have had no issues, just raves about this NEW York style pizzeria. They are on a small soi off sukhumvit. The menu says 24/1 sukhumvit, right next to Soi 26. Great friendly staff, attentive and the food is amazing, especially for the price. I love their pastas and eat the Seafood marinara or Alfredo at least 2x/week.

Also, a kick ass caesar sald and their mixed green salad is huge, inexpensive and delicious.

They have changed their menu around, dropping some slow sellers and adding new flavors. I complained early on about the Buffalo Wings, and was told that they were having difficulty finding Habenero Hot Sauce. No they have it and have perfected their recipe, IMO. You can actually get real, delicious, spicy Buffalo Wings now in BKK! I like to get delivery of the 20 pc and watch the game with some bros and brews. They even started serving with celery and carrot sticks, and ranch dressing, just like in the US!

Hats off to these guys for trying their hearts out and the pizza shows for sure. Looks great, tastes great and they deliver to 2am on fri-sun, 12pm thye rest of the week.

My favs are Empire Strikes Bacon, Aroi Aroi and the classic New Yorker with mushrooms and anchovies. The Texas BBQ Chicken is my buddy's fav, and I even tried the Thai favorite last week named Samui Sunset. I put off for months, since it has a base of Thousand Island Dressing and Mayonnaise (you can opt for tomatoe sauce), but ###### this pizza was really, really good. Lots of seafood and the fat from the mayo coooks the dough just right. I was really surprised, but it is one of their best sellers.

ps. they are planning a second location at the corner of wittahyu rd and petchburi rd. they say they should be open in a week. great for me as i live in Wittahyu Complex and am dying for a late night hang out in the area...and DELIVERY 100M away...right on!

pretty sure the website is just their name, thank god they did't try some idiosyncratic thai/farang name... just bangkokpizza.com alot easier to remember at 1am after a few pithchers ;-)

I read through this whole thread and I must now interject as there is a lot of confusion here. A lot of screwed up opinions too. I am an Italian, born and raised in Chicago. I have had pizza everywhere, from NY, to SF and Italian. I know them all and will correct you all.

Italian pizza Vs. American pizza

One isn't any better than the other. They are just totally different and it's all a matter of preference. Real Italian pizza is thin crust, with more of a thick tomato paste type of sauce, fresh garlic, basil and smatterings of cheese, but not a lot. It would look something like this:

photopizza5gm.jpg

American pizza is crust with lots of cheese, meat and whatever else you want on it. A hearty pie. It would look like this:

anim15wk.gif

It's all a matter of taste.

Chicago Pizza Vs. New York Pizza

I have had hundreds of different pizza from lots of places in Chicago. Chicago is famous for it's deep dish pizza but like Jeff1 was saying earlier, there is also great thin crust pizza in Chicago. Of course there is a place there that I like better than any other place in the world but its my preference. Its also a thin crust pie and in Chicago its usually cut into square pieces and not slices.

For New York, pizza is always in big slices. I had pizza at Patsy Grimaldis (Grimaldis Pizza), which is always voted the #1 pizza in NY by the Zagat guide and by the CitySearch voters poll of NY residents. It is a very good pie and I really enjoyed it. Of course I still like my Chicago pizza better, but thats just my preference. So I have had the best NY has to offer and the best Chicago has to offer. I've also eaten pizza in San Franciscos Little Italy (North Beach). IMO, it doesnt compare to NY or Chicago.

Now is Italian pizza better than American style? Well, people from America that have grown up on their own style will probably like American style better. While Italians will like theirs better. It's just a preference so there is no need to fight over it.

Now, can a decent pizza be found in Thailand? Not that I have seen or tried. I doubt Thailand will ever be able to make it as good as we would want it due to inferior ingredients. Thats just the way it goes.

bangkok pizza on 24/1 sukhumvit imports most if not all of they key main ingredients for their pizzas and the owner is from brooklyn!

Glad to see this vital topic is getting the attention it deserves.

Re the Italian vs American Pizza thing, the story as handed down to me, a New Yorker, is that Pizza began in Italy where it was not a main meal but a side dish or appetizer, made as described and pictured above. In the 1800's and early 1900's there was a wave of Italian immigration to the US, with port of entry and heaviest concentration in New York. The Italian men went to work (I think I recall being told especially around the docks and in construction) and, this being NY and not Italy, instead of being able to go home for a long lunch break for a hearty family meal, they had maybe 15 - 30 minutes to eat, and their wives had to find ways to pack lunches that could be eaten with the hands on the job and be substantial enough to sustain a man doing heavy manual labor. So they began to adapt the traditional Italian pizza to be more of a meal, increasing the cheese and adding a topping. Being NY, this quickly took off and before you knew it everyone was eating the stuff, and the immigrants began to open pizza parlors. The rest is history.

This is the basis for the claim that pizza was invented in NY. It has an Italian predecessor, but its modern American form was the outcome of Italian immigration to NYC.

Thus was I told, by my grandfather and by parents and grandparents of the Italian-American kids I grew up with.

And yes, it IS the water that makes NY pizza impossible to duplicate anywhere else...

This week we ate at Giorgio's, in Hang Dong, outside of Chiang Mai. The chef is from Venice, and it showed. Thin crust, tomato paste, a little layer of cheese, and sausage that was not as "Italian" as it would have been in an Italian-American enclave such as Melrose Park, Illinois. Pepperoni is not, IMHO, "Italian sausage," and neither was Giorgio's pork sausage.

At least pizza is fairly common in Thailand, as compared to real Tex-Mex.

This week we ate at Giorgio's, in Hang Dong, outside of Chiang Mai. The chef is from Venice, and it showed. Thin crust, tomato paste, a little layer of cheese, and sausage that was not as "Italian" as it would have been in an Italian-American enclave such as Melrose Park, Illinois. Pepperoni is not, IMHO, "Italian sausage," and neither was Giorgio's pork sausage.

PB, you got some more specific coordinates for Giorgio's? I gotta go out to Baan Tawai this p.m.

Thanks

PB, you got some more specific coordinates for Giorgio's? I gotta go out to Baan Tawai this p.m.

Thanks

Trust me, you will be disappointed. I'm surprised to learn an Italian has anything to do with the enterprise.

'course I know where Kad Farang is. I'm an exporter so I'm a Baan Tawai/Hangdong regular. I know where all the export gear is, especially overpriced stuff you can get in Lampang for 20% of the price! I've been in the Rimping there, never seen Giorgio's, but I'm usually wiped out by the time I'm done haggling with my vendors at that point.

Thanks for the info, though, I might give it a try. In-N-Out, being OUT and all.

Best,

David D.

Edited by calibanjr.

Re the Italian vs American Pizza thing, the story as handed down to me, a New Yorker, is that Pizza began in Italy where it was not a main meal but a side dish or appetizer, made as described and pictured above. In the 1800's and early 1900's there was a wave of Italian immigration to the US, with port of entry and heaviest concentration in New York. The Italian men went to work (I think I recall being told especially around the docks and in construction) and, this being NY and not Italy, instead of being able to go home for a long lunch break for a hearty family meal, they had maybe 15 - 30 minutes to eat, and their wives had to find ways to pack lunches that could be eaten with the hands on the job and be substantial enough to sustain a man doing heavy manual labor. So they began to adapt the traditional Italian pizza to be more of a meal, increasing the cheese and adding a topping. Being NY, this quickly took off and before you knew it everyone was eating the stuff, and the immigrants began to open pizza parlors. The rest is history.

This is the basis for the claim that pizza was invented in NY. It has an Italian predecessor, but its modern American form was the outcome of Italian immigration to NYC.

Thus was I told, by my grandfather and by parents and grandparents of the Italian-American kids I grew up with.

And yes, it IS the water that makes NY pizza impossible to duplicate anywhere else...

American pizza rules! :o

Ulysses G said: Italian pizza and American pizza are very different, and a good American pizza is far superior because of the taste and texture of the crust.

Where can I get a good one in Thailand?

...Surely you are wrong !!!!!

you know why ? are you able to make a pizza by yourself ? ...I suppose your answer will be NO !

The texture of the crust is depend on WHO is in charge to prepare Pizza !!!!! ¨

About the TASTE I can't say you are wrong (IF YOU PREFER TO PUT KETCHUP INSTEAD FRESH TOMATO and you think is more Tasting....you are in right).

Anyway you can eat your american style-Pizza to Pizza Company or Pizza Hut ....

water that makes NY pizza impossible to duplicate anywhere else ????????

do you know how make a Pizza ? Water never is important for a special Pizza

maybe someone confuse the importance of water for making a great Coffee.... but not for Pizza.. .

water that makes NY pizza impossible to duplicate anywhere else ????????

do you know how make a Pizza ? Water never is important for a special Pizza

maybe someone confuse the importance of water for making a great Coffee.... but not for Pizza.. .

I'm no expert, and I'm too lazy to do the google work for you, but I've heard/read many accounts of water being important in the pizza and ESPECIALLY the bagels in NYC. I don't know if it IS the water, but I ain't had a bagel anywhere that can touch the NYC bagels I've had. I'm from Boston and we don't go out of our way to over-praise ANYTHING from NYC. Let's don't start on the Yankees!

Due to the wide influence of Italian and Greek immigrants in American culture, the United States has developed quite a large number of regional forms of pizza, many bearing only a casual resemblance to the Italian original. During the latter half of the 20th century, pizza in the United States became an iconic dish of considerable popularity, and may have contributed to the decline of the British pie heritage previously common in American cuisine.

New York-style pizza is a style originally developed in New York City, where pizza is often sold in oversized, thin and flexible slices. It is traditionally hand-tossed, moderate on sauce, and moderately covered with cheese essentially amounting to a much larger version of the Neapolitan style. The slices are sometimes eaten folded in half, or even stacked, as its size and flexibility may otherwise make it unwieldy to eat by hand. This style of pizza tends to dominate the Northeastern states and is very similar to the basic style common through the United States and known simply as pizza. It is often referred to as pan-style pizza, but note that Pizza Hut's "Pan Pizza" is a thick-crust variety. Many pizza establishments in the New York metropolitan area offer two varieties of pizza: "Neapolitan", or "regular", made with a relatively thin, circular crust and served in wedge-shaped slices, and "Sicilian", or "square", made with a thicker, rectangular crust and served in large, rectangular slices.

Chicago-style pizza, or Chicago-style deep dish pizza, contains a crust which is formed up the sides of a deep-dish pan. It reverses the order of ingredients, using crust, cheese, filling, then sauce on top. Some versions (usually referred to as "stuffed") have two layers of crust with the sauce on top. Deep-dish pizza was purportedly invented and first served in 1943 at Pizzeria Uno, which is still operating along with its twin restaurant, Pizzeria Due, in the River North neighborhood.

Chicago-style thin crust pizza has a thinner crust than Chicago-style deep dish, and is baked flat rather than in a deep dish pan. The crust is thin and firm enough to have a noticeable crunch, unlike a New York-style pizza, yet thick enough to be soft and doughy on the top. The crust is invariably topped with a liberal quantity of southern-Italian style tomato sauce, which is usually quite herbal or highly spiced, and typically contains no visible chunks of tomato. Next, a layer of toppings is added, and a layer of mozzarella cheese which frequently separates from the bottom crust due to the quantity of tomato sauce. Chicago-style thin crust pizzas are cut into three- or four-inch squares, also known as "party cut," as opposed to a "pie cut" into wedges. The small size of the squares makes it unnecessary to fold the slices. Chicago-style pizza is prevalent throughout the Midwestern USA. A chain that is well known for its Chicago-style thin crust pizza is Home Run Inn

St. Louis-style pizza is a thin-crust style of pizza popular in and around St. Louis, Missouri. The most notable characteristic of St. Louis-style pizza is the distinctively St. Louisan provel cheese used instead of (or rarely in addition to) the mozzarella common to Chicago-style thin crust. The two largest St. Louis-style Pizza chains are Imo's Pizza and Cecil Whittaker's Pizzeria.

California-style pizza (often termed in the United States gourmet pizza) refers to pizza with non-traditional ingredients, especially those that use a considerable amount of fresh produce. A Thai-inspired chicken pizza with peanut sauce, bean sprouts, and shaved carrots is a popular variant in California-style pizza restaurants, as are pizzas that use chicken and barbecue sauce as toppings. Duck, spinach, and goat cheese are also used. The California Pizza Kitchen chain of restaurants was influential in popularizing this style. In addition, there are sweet pizzas in existence, which list jam or peanut butter among others as ingredients.

Greek pizza is a variation popular in New England; its name comes from it being typical of the style of pizzerias owned by Greek immigrants. It has a thicker, chewier crust and is baked in a pan in the pizza oven, instead of directly on the bricks. Plain olive oil is a common part of the topping. Variations in other parts of the country include using feta cheese, Kalamata olives, and Greek herbs such as oregano.

Hawaiian pizza has ham and pineapple toppings and is especially popular in the Western United States. Ham and pineapple is also a popular topping combination in Australia, Canada and Sweden, but notably not in Hawaii. This type is also common within the EU as Pizza Hawaii.

Grilled pizza, invented in Providence, Rhode Island, uses a fairly thin crust cooked on a grill; the toppings are placed on the baked side after the pizza has cooked for a bit and flipped over.

English muffin or French bread pizza and pizza bagel is a common convenience pizza made at home in an oven or toaster, usually with a simple topping of spaghetti sauce, sliced or shredded cheese, and perhaps pepperoni. French bread pizza is sometimes available commercially as a frozen meal.

http://www.answers.com/topic/pizza

Fancy a jam & peanut butter pizza, anyone :o ?

Edited by WaiWai