Good American Pizza In Thailand

Ulysses G.

The Duke's is the best tasting one that I have had in Thailand..

The other night, I ate half of a medium sized pizza with a few beers and was too full for more. I took the rest home and it supplied me with two Song Kran lunches because I didn't want to go outside.

THREE meals from a 170 baht pizza! :o

I thought you were on a diet?

is that you in your avatar??

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other night, I ate half of a medium sized pizza with a few beers and was too full for more. I took the rest home and it supplied me with two Song Kran lunches because I didn't want to go outside.

How old are you?

I'm from New York, and I love pizza, but I have never stepped foot inside a Pizza Hut or Pizza Co. here in 4 years. That is not New York or American pizza!

In New York, you can have authentic New York Pizza, authentic Italian Pizza, Sicilian Pizza or Pizza Hut.

Give me sloppy, juicy, tomatoey, cheesy New York pizza any day, any time, baby. It <deleted>' rocks.

And yes, I AM an expert on this, so close the thread :o

I'm from New York, and I love pizza, but I have never stepped foot inside a Pizza Hut or Pizza Co. here in 4 years. That is not New York or American pizza!

In New York, you can have authentic New York Pizza, authentic Italian Pizza, Sicilian Pizza or Pizza Hut.

Give me sloppy, juicy, tomatoey, cheesy New York pizza any day, any time, baby. It <deleted>' rocks.

:D:D

Ok , real expert here . As I said it does not matter where it's from as long as YOU like it . Mostly it depends on where you grew up eatting pizza . Everyone thinks their's is the best , Great ! Enjoy .

To the poster that said that they did not care for Chicago style pizza . That's ok but fyi we also have thin crust pizza and all sorts of shapes and sizes that you can put anything you want to on it but if you do it california style with pineapple and ham or some such weirdness , Im, comming over there ! :D

THREE meals from a 170 baht pizza! :D

I diet for a while, take a break and then diet some more so I don't get too deperate for non-rabbit food.

I lost 15 lbs and then took a Songkan break. Will be starting again soon. :o

How old are you?

26, why?

• 1 month later...

Another place: Holy Pizza in Siam Square. It's a 2 minute walk from the CELTA courses held at ECC or from the British council.

The crust is very thin, almost tortilla like, sauce is the typical tasteless tomato stuff, the cheese is better quality than Pizza Hut or Pizza Company (Less rubbery/more mozarellezque) and the costs are comparable.

about 90 baht for a small which is the size of a full plate, and can fill up one or can share with two. and 170 for a large. And the toppings are fresh.

Good quality and low cost and fast service. But if you want a small, be careful they tried to tell me they no longer had "small" in order to sell me a large...

I read through this whole thread and I must now interject as there is a lot of confusion here. A lot of screwed up opinions too. I am an Italian, born and raised in Chicago. I have had pizza everywhere, from NY, to SF and Italian. I know them all and will correct you all.

Italian pizza Vs. American pizza

One isn't any better than the other. They are just totally different and it's all a matter of preference. Real Italian pizza is thin crust, with more of a thick tomato paste type of sauce, fresh garlic, basil and smatterings of cheese, but not a lot. It would look something like this:

photopizza5gm.jpg

American pizza is crust with lots of cheese, meat and whatever else you want on it. A hearty pie. It would look like this:

anim15wk.gif

It's all a matter of taste.

Chicago Pizza Vs. New York Pizza

I have had hundreds of different pizza from lots of places in Chicago. Chicago is famous for it's deep dish pizza but like Jeff1 was saying earlier, there is also great thin crust pizza in Chicago. Of course there is a place there that I like better than any other place in the world but its my preference. Its also a thin crust pie and in Chicago its usually cut into square pieces and not slices.

For New York, pizza is always in big slices. I had pizza at Patsy Grimaldis (Grimaldis Pizza), which is always voted the #1 pizza in NY by the Zagat guide and by the CitySearch voters poll of NY residents. It is a very good pie and I really enjoyed it. Of course I still like my Chicago pizza better, but thats just my preference. So I have had the best NY has to offer and the best Chicago has to offer. I've also eaten pizza in San Franciscos Little Italy (North Beach). IMO, it doesnt compare to NY or Chicago.

Now is Italian pizza better than American style? Well, people from America that have grown up on their own style will probably like American style better. While Italians will like theirs better. It's just a preference so there is no need to fight over it.

Now, can a decent pizza be found in Thailand? Not that I have seen or tried. I doubt Thailand will ever be able to make it as good as we would want it due to inferior ingredients. Thats just the way it goes.

Tripxcore is spot on

They are 2 different things.

It's like spaghetti alla Bolognese. In Italy this dish doesn't even exist ,heck if you order them in Bologna they would laugh at you, the closer thing is Pasta al Ragu' (Pasta with meat), but we don't use spaghetti.

So peace and love.......

you stolen the name "pizza" and use it for that crappy thing, you bunch of dirty bastids, our revenge will be deadly... mmmmmmhuahahahahahahahahahahahh

Edited by KhunMarco

Tripxcore is spot on

It's like spaghetti alla Bolognese. In Italy this dish doesn't even exist ,heck if you order them in Bologna they would laugh at you, the closer thing is Pasta al Ragu' (Pasta with meat), but we don't use spaghetti.

So peace and love.......

Grazie, KhunMarco. Io sono Siciliano. La familia di Siracusa. E tu?

So Kat -- help out a fellow NYer --

where in Bkk do you find the closest facsimile of what we both know to be the most divine food on earth????

And --- seen a CANNOLI anywhere?????????

Tripxcore is spot on

So peace and love.......

Grazie, KhunMarco. Io sono Siciliano. La familia di Siracusa. E tu?

Io sono di Bologna.

Tra 2 settimane torno in Italia a trovare i miei, non vedo l'ora di farmi una mangiata come Dio comanda, altro che Thai food :o:D

Ciao

I thought TV rules are that the discussion must be held in English, even pizza appreciation threads, especially NY pizza.

:o Cafe Primavera ( sorry not English) on Thanon Phra-Athit ( sorry again not English).

eccellentissim! excellent!

:D

So Kat -- help out a fellow NYer --

where in Bkk do you find the closest facsimile of what we both know to be the most divine food on earth????

And --- seen a CANNOLI anywhere?????????

Da Stephanos, near Thapae Gate in Chiang Mai has Cannoli. :D

UG, no Swedish style pizza in Thailand as far as I have seen - but if I were to look for it, I would start in the Swede-heavy areas of Phuket, Samui and possibly Pattaya...

I am sure that I would like Swedish style pizza. I mean that I used to love English muffins with tomato sauce and cheese melted on the top, but I'm pretty sure that The Duke's GIGANTIC real, genuine, American style pizza is better! :o

UG, no Swedish style pizza in Thailand as far as I have seen - but if I were to look for it, I would start in the Swede-heavy areas of Phuket, Samui and possibly Pattaya...

I am sure that I would like Swedish style pizza. I mean that I used to love English muffins with tomato sauce and cheese melted on the top, but I'm pretty sure that The Duke's GIGANTIC real, genuine, American style pizza is better! :o

No-one has mentioned Scottish pizza yet - pan pizza deep-fried in crispy batter.

Nothing hardens your arteries like that on a cold morning!

• 3 months later...

Quite bepizzering this thread!

Anyone ever had "Torta di Cecci"?

Its a kind of 'Pizza' made from Chickpeas - no topping, no cheese, baked in a open woodfired oven.

Usually only eaten in Autumn/Winter - with some Wild Boar smoked Ham or Salami - with some Tuscan Red (Vino Nobile di Montepulciano) - it's mindboggeling.

Hope non of the NY Pizza fans feels offended now!

Pizza Co. and Hut and the like - are insulting this humble food!

Edited by Samuian

• 2 weeks later...

Having lived in Italy few moons back & eaten many a pizza while there, the best pizza ive ever eaten was in Sicily at a small pizzeria near the port town of Catania Yum, Yum.

Also like to add had a very tasty pizza in NY not far from canal st,cant remember the name of the place but the owner looked like Don Corleonis twin :D:o

• 5 months later...

Found a great place in pattaya for pizza,Slices pizza on soi Diana.I tried it when they first opened and it wasnt that good and went back two days ago and thought it was excellent.They had seven different toppings and also sold calzones.You are able to buy it by the slice for 45bt.and the calzones were 45bt also.I tried the boloneges pizza and the chicken caccatorie pizza both were the best I had in thailand.

Italian pizza and American pizza are very different, and a good American pizza is far superior because of the taste and texture of the crust.

Where can I get a good one in Thailand? :o

I agree itilaian stuff is <deleted> and pricey, try pizza company with tuna and red and green pepper, mmm ,. im off to get one !

Pizza Hut is mostly for the homeless, people in a real hurry or children.

No one in American thinks of that as a good pizza, but foreigners have the idea that Pizza Hut is a typical American Pizza. I can assure you that no one over 15 gets together with friends to eat at Pizza Hut. They go somewhere GOOD!

Misinformed people who think that Pizza Hut is typical of the US are the only ones who would claim that Italian style is better. It is like a tasteless cracker covered with tomato sauce. :o

im 51 and i go there with my friends ! ,but i dont see it as american, normally quiet in there !

Said this on another pizza thread:

Disappointed with Ronnie's Pizza in Soi 4. Despite the fact that the Dutch owner even sat down and talked to me.

Pizza ingredients were EXCELLENT.

However, far too little toppings for the price:

1) Not enough cheese on the Pizza. I know cheese is expensive in Thailand, but his cheese was about 40% less than Pizza Hut or Pizza Company. It's like it was just "sprinkled on" with cheese rather than topped.

2) I ordered a very big pepperoni pizza and despite that, it still came up to only about one and a half pieces of pepperoni per slice!

3) The (friendly) Dutch owner sat down on my table to chat with me and ordered a pizza for himself (same flavor, pepperoni) and said that he "likes to order his own pizza so he can monitor the quality which gets to his customers".

Good intention! However, how can he monitor the "quality of pizza which goes to his customers"... if the pizza he made for himself had 4X more pepperoni and 2X more cheese than the pepperoni pizza he served me (the customer)!!!!???

Duh? :o