Good American Pizza In Thailand

Ulysses G.

Swedish pizza is superior - but a well-kept secret to anyone who hasnt been there. :D

Ulysses G won't like it, it's not American. Nothing to do with cuisine.

I love the Beatles, The Stones, the Cure, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy and lots of English music, Mexican food, Japanese food, Chinese food, Thai girls and lots of things that aren't American, but America has lots of great stuff too.

I give credit where credit is due. :o

Fair enough, we have clarified that you are not in fact an 'America does everything better' person. I do hope you have the opportunity to travel to Italy one day and try the pizza there however. Don't judge real Italian pizza by the stuff sold in most Italian restos in Bangkok.

Have to agree with Sheryl, too, NY pizza just ain't what it used to be.

Try Amido's Pizza Garden in Pai if you have a chance. Maybe not up to world-class standards but better than anything I've had in Bangkok or Chiang Mai. The owner is French-Algerian and he makes a mean pizza pie, not unlike some NY pizzas I've had.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pal who's from Chicago and he swears that Chicago has the best pizzas!

Very interesting post Sabaijai.

He would be right :o

I have tried Ny pizza also and it's not bad .

To the one that posted about good pizza near soi Nana , thanks for the tip . but I just left Bangkok and now going out for pizza , in Chicago .

It really does not matter where it's from as long as you like it .

I am more of an east coast ( New York / Boston ) style pizza fan. I’ve never warmed up to the Chicago deep-dish style . It’s OK, but just not really pizza; it’s more like lasagna with the crust replacing the pasta, then cheese, sausage and sauce on top.

In Bangkok I’ve found Spicchio’s to be a passable substitute. Widely available from a number of outlets (BTS stations: take home, Malls: sit-down), decent crust and ingredients, and available by the slice. I think they have a web-site, and offer delivery, but I cannot remember the website, and have been unsuccessful Googling it.

In Bangkok I’ve found Spicchio’s to be a passable substitute. Widely available from a number of outlets (BTS stations: take home, Malls: sit-down), decent crust and ingredients, and available by the slice. I think they have a web-site, and offer delivery, but I cannot remember the website, and have been unsuccessful Googling it.

I agree. Whenever I am at Mo Chit BTS I always get a slice.

They do have delivery, but their delivery radius does not cover a big area.

www.spicchiopizza.com

Hmm, their website does not seem to be up, although that is the address printed on the menu.

The # is: 02 900 9990

Edited by DeathbyDurian

• 2 weeks later...

I've eaten many Italian and USA pizzas. American pizzas are smothered in cheese and then the toppings are sprinkled on. The Italian is much simpler, ie, dough, sauce, basil and maybe some dollops of cheese or anchovy fillets. The Italian zza has simpler cleaner and more distinguisable flavors coming through while the American zza is more like a hearty stew of flavors. imo.

• 2 weeks later...

In Chiang Mai there is an New York style slice place called Paradise Pizza. They moved last year to 7/2 Ratchawitchi Road across from the UN Irish Pub. Pretty ###### good offering for Thailand! Thick crust...homemade sauce....excellent cheese...not like the usual Italian restaurant thin crust offerings. They are all okay in their own way but this is like NYC. I had their lasagna and fettucini carbanora which were both great

Dont really understand all this talk about"American Pizza" or even "Chicago style" pizza. Granted, Chicago is known for deep dish but as a long time resident of Chicago and other major US cities if you look hard enough you can find whatever style of pizza you want in the US. The best pizza I know of is in.................West Palm Beach, Florida. Having been to Italy and much of the EU and abit around SE Asia it is safe to say that of course you can find great pizza in Italy and major EU cities but Bnagkok does not have the vast options that the US offers, simply because the US is made up of mutts from all over Italy and elsewhere settled in every pocket of most every major city. So, best pizza from...??? Answer: can find in all major cities in the US and also EU but in Bangkok????????........hmm.................shrimp and squid at Pizza Company................OMG!!

an appealing pizza recipie that should attract both thai and falang alike

the Telegraph Avenue Tiajuana Terror

thin crust with the usual tomato sauce and cheese

ground pork sausage (not in casing)

fresh chiles (hotness on a scale from one to ten...scale ten only for the brave or the insane)

fresh lemon slices with rind included

my most memorable pizza.

• 3 weeks later...

FORGET SPICCHIO!

in the beginning their pizzas were nice. I bought that member card to get a better price on their pizzas - but the last two deliveries were of such miserable quality that the have had me.

the pizzas arrived wet as a floorcloth and absolute tasteless. yes, absolutely no taste, as the cook had forgotten everything.

the dough was, well, dont let me explain it.

man I was hungry and threw the pizzas in the oven - then that dough stuck to the baking tray that I couldnt get if off without scratching the tray.

no, forget spicchio. I like gianni and his food. but with spicchio's pizzas you start longing for other food.

and I guess they soon will share the fate of domino's - remember?

Since posting earlier in this thread I've had a chance to sample some of the recommendations. I still continue to enjoy Spicchio's, typically as take-out from one of the smaller outlets, or at one of the sit-down outlets. I've never ordered for delivery. I still thinks it's closest to what I would call American-style pizza (a la CPK, or Bertucci's). Spicchio's looks like they cook the crust for a minute or two before adding sauce, cheese, toppings, a step that can result in a less soggy/chewy texture. Some home cooks use this process especially if their ovens don't go up to 600 F!. Ronny's on Sukhumvit Soi 4 is pretty good too. The pizza served here in Italian restuarants is quite good too, as a course.

I love the Beatles, The Stones, the Cure, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy and lots of English music, Mexican food, Japanese food, Chinese food, Thai girls and lots of things that aren't American, but America has lots of great stuff too.

I give credit where credit is due. :o

I'm with Ulysses. You're right. These guys telling you to go to Italy for real pizza are witlings. GO TO AMERICA AND HAVE SOME REAL PIZZA, MORONS, BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR SPEAKING SPHINCTERS WITH ONLY THE SINGULAR INTENTION OF PICKING ON THE GUY BECAUSE HE'S LOOKING FOR AMERICAN-STYLE PIZZA!! It's getting to the point of harassment and I think the moderators should do something about the attitudes. American is becoming a word like faggot, nigger, or kike. You'd better believe that you'd all be banned talking the way you do if those were your targets.

There is no pizza in Thailand. It's all <deleted>.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no pizza in Thailand. It's all <deleted>.

I dunno, once you've been here a while The Pizza Company starts to taste quite good :o

One needs first of all a real brick oven to make it in and the wheat four ,fresh ingredients like olives well where are they? ,home made pepperoni important also, mushrooms OK,Salty fish OK, don't give me any of that mayo pizza either, tomatoes can be procured,Onions,garlic OK, Fresh cheeses ???????? Been there dun that. NY,Chicago good Italian pizza made in USA SAP,SAP

The Duke's is the best tasting one that I have had in Thailand..

The other night, I ate half of a medium sized pizza with a few beers and was too full for more. I took the rest home and it supplied me with two Song Kran lunches because I didn't want to go outside.

THREE meals from a 170 baht pizza! :o

The other night, I ate half of a medium sized pizza with a few beers and was too full for more. I took the rest home and it supplied me with two Song Kran lunches because I didn't want to go outside.

Sounds good, where is this Duke's place?

Like some other folks here, I've eaten pizzas all over the world, including various places in Italy, New York, San Francisco, and L.A. Been to Chicago too, but I don't care for Chicago style deep-dish pies, so as far as I'm concerned they aren't up for consideration. In my humble opinion, the best pizzas in the world are made at North Beach Pizza in the North Beach (ethnic Italian) neighborhood in San Francisco. Whenever I'm in S.F., come hel_l or high water, I absolutely must go to N.B.P for a pie. New York pizzas, at any number of pizzerias in the City, are right up there too. If you like some trendier toppings, the barbeque chicken pizza at California Pizza Kitchen is a must try. Pizza in Italy was delicious as well, but having been brought up on American pizza, there was just something missing for me.

OK, as far as Thailand is concerned -- if you've ever had good pizza in your life, The Pizza Company and Pizza Hut are not even worth considering. They just plain suck. Ronny's on Nana is under new ownership and makes a decent, but not really very good, pizza. The best pizza I've had in Thailand was at Spicchio's, Victory Monument BTS station, when they first opened. Since then Spicchio's has really fallen off in quality, IMHO -- instead of reheating the slice for you in the oven they just wrap it in paper and stick it in the microwave... a bloody cardinal sin of pizza preparation. That's what they did at the National Stadium station store, anyway, before I had a chance to stop them. The slice came out wet, soggy, and glued to the paper. What a disappointment.

'

Sounds good, where is this Duke's place?

Chiang Mai, across the river, near TAT.

He's trying to get the exact same flour that they use at North Beach Pizza - I am a fan too - but it's pretty good pizza already! :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

If Italians like pizza ... and if US pizza is the best ... how many US pizza places are there in Italy?

(Finnish reindeer pizza -- yum yum.)

Been there, done that. If that is all you have to contribute to the thread please refrain from doing so as this has already been done to death. :o

If Italians like pizza ... and if US pizza is the best ... how many US pizza places are there in Italy?

(Finnish reindeer pizza -- yum yum.)

Been there, done that. If that is all you have to contribute to the thread please refrain from doing so as this has already been done to death. :o

Having just re-read the thread I fail to see your point.

It's been pretty much: Where can I get US-style pizza. That sucks. No it doesn't. Yes it does. You're talking out of your sphincter. The Offspring rawk! No they don't. It's all Greek really. All Thai pizza stinks. No it doesn't. Yes it does. Chicago pizza's better. No it isn't it's like a pie.

Given the feelings voiced about US vs Italian pizza (It's like crust man. No it isn't.) then I think it's a fair question.

Or perhaps it's the reference to Finnish pizza you don't like.

If you're ''policing'' the thread you might have stepped in a long time ago when it went decidely off-topic.

Edited by MarkBKK

Italian pizza rules. :o

Beg to differ -- NEW YORK Pizze rules.

As I understand, pizza was actually invented in NY by Italian immigrants. There was/is a somewhat similiar Italian dish (bruschetta or foccia-something or other, I forget which) from which it is descended. They way I got the story, growing up in NY, was that in Italy there are long lunch breaks and people went home to eat, but once in NY the men were working long hours and had to eat quickly on the job, so the wives came up with pizza, which is much more substantial than its bread with a little sauce & cheese predecessors since it was meant to serve as a complete meal.

Anyhow -- us native New Yorkers consider pizza to be native cuisine. Unfortunately it is not possible to get 100% New York pizza outside of NY because apparently the NYC water is essential to the flavor of the dough (same story with bagels). Even a NY chef using the same ingrediants but in a different state can't do it. I recall talk of actually importing NYC tap water to try to rectify this problem in parts of the US with a large NY expat community, but of course cost would be considerable.

Anyhow -- forgetting the water problem -- where can one come as close as possible to NEW YORK pizza here? Ronnie's? (where on Nana is it?) and 2 related questions:

- where, oh where, can one get a cannoli???

- what is it with the putting bechamel sauce in the lasagna? Even the supposedly authentic Italian places are doing it here. Lasagna should have mozzarella & ricotta. New York tradition but I also vetted it with an authentic Italian cookbook. Bechamel sauce isn't even Italian, it's French and IMHO anyplace that puts it into a dish they then call lasagna should be fined and forever barred from running an Italian restaurant!

The Dude, having grown up in a NY suburb with hundreds of authentic NY style Pizza dumps around run by original Italian immigrants can say unequivockly that it is the greatest pizza in the world hands down. The Dude has numerous shovels with which to dig this type of pie. Shovels also needed to dig greek style pizza

Beg to differ -- NEW YORK Pizza rules.

The Dude, having grown up in a NY suburb with hundreds of authentic NY style Pizza dumps around run by original Italian immigrants can say unequivockly that it is the greatest pizza in the world hands down.

Close the thread. The Dude has ruled! :o

I thought you were on a diet?