Renewal Of Thai Passport

My wife who has been in the UK with me for 10 years, her Thai Passport runs out in September 2006, she had a five year passport, then they extended it by another 5 years, so this is running out, no problem getting a new Thai Passport, i will go to the Embassy at Queens gate, London, one thing i am concerned about is her INDEFINATE STAY VISA for the UK, will she have to re-apply, to have one put in her new passport or can she still show the visa in her old passport when returning from Thailand to the UK, other people have told me show her both passports when going through immigration in London, there should not be a problem.

I have told her to get a British Passport, now she is thinking about it. as she is entitled to one after living here or 10 years.

I know i will get some good answers of you guys, it's just to put my mind at rest

All the official information advises people to transfer the stamp, but as the government will make a handy £335 if you do it by post or £500 if you do it in person, then they would, wouldn't they!

She has ILR, the fact that the stamp confirming this is in an old passport doesn't change this. Keep the old passport together with the new one and show both when required.

Did you know that as Thailand is now issuing 'e' passports she will not be able to renew it by post, but will have to go to the RTE in Kensington? They will want to take a digital photo and her fingerprints.

BTW, as the spouse of a British citizen she qualified for naturalisation as British after living in the UK for 3 years, i.e. 7 years ago!

BTW, as the spouse of a British citizen she qualified for naturalisation as British after living in the UK for 3 years, i.e. 7 years ago!

Note.

As the spouse of a Brit C. she qualifies for the Opportunity of Making an Application for Naturalisation etc... Nothing is Automatic.

I know some Thai /Philipino wifes over here who should have done it over 20 years ago and are now back/in the Application Stage but may still have do a basic English Course (1 year)to prove that they can "spraken da Onglais" as part of their said applications.

I would suggest that they are already excellent Angrit speakers and certainly better than most of the locally born layabouts and halfwits around this Manor... but of course its all in the terms and conditions. :o

Up until a few years ago, your friendly immigration officer at LHR/LGW etc would have place an indefinite leave to enter stamp in the new passport upon production of the old one. Unfortunately, with the introduction of charging, the IOs have had there ILE stamps taken away (those that hadn't already been nicked by the cleaners).

Scouse.

All the official information advises people to transfer the stamp, but as the government will make a handy £335 if you do it by post or £500 if you do it in person, then they would, wouldn't they!

She has ILR, the fact that the stamp confirming this is in an old passport doesn't change this. Keep the old passport together with the new one and show both when required.

Did you know that as Thailand is now issuing 'e' passports she will not be able to renew it by post, but will have to go to the RTE in Kensington? They will want to take a digital photo and her fingerprints.

Thanks Guys.

Yes, last time my wife renewed her passport she did it by post, but in the next couple of weeks we are going to the Embassy to get her a new passport, got a lot of other things to ask them as well, i have a 4 year old daughter who needs a Thai Passport,

Also got a 14 Year old Thai daughter who is in Boarding school in Shropshire, who is off to a sister school in New York to study this summer, so i will have to get her a UK passport, she also has been in the UK for 8 years.

Edited by Thaicoon

Also got a 14 Year old Thai daughter who is in Boarding school in Shropshire, who is off to a sister school in New York to study this summer, so i will have to get her a UK passport, she also has been in the UK for 8 years.
Is she your daughter or step-daughter? This is important, because children under the age of 18 cannot apply for naturalisation as British citizens.

However, she can apply to be registered as a British citizen, and although she could do so without her mother becoming naturalised as her mother is present and settled in the UK, it would be a lot simpler to do both at the same time.

Of course, if you are her father then she is already British.

Guide MN1 - Registration of a child as a British citizen

Rinrada, you are, of course, correct. I should have said "she qualified to apply for naturalisation as British after living in the UK for 3 years, i.e. 7 years ago!" Had she done so then it would have been a quite simple procedure, but know she will have to take and pass the "citizenship exam."

Changes With Effect From 1 November 2005 - The Need to Demonstrate Knowledge of Life in the United Kingdom as well as Language ability

Edited by GU22