Looking For A House With High-Ish Wall Around - In A Mooban.

triffid

I'm on the lookout for house to rent (20k-30k) with the following difficult combination of requirements and I'd be grateful if people could point me in potentially productive directions.

- need a reasonable amount of land; a quarter to a half rai would be ideal

- need a cat-proof wall around, ie not less than 2,5 metres high

- need western style and standard of kitchen and bathrooms

- need to be not much more than 10 minutes from the moat

- need 3 bedroom (2 of which should be big)

- would prefer to be in a mooban, for the security mainly.

The most difficult seems to be the wall, in that the newer moobans neither have them nor will they allow the house-occupant to build one. So I expect I will have to find an older mooban where people bought land and built their own houses.

The only thing I do have is a bit of time because my present landlord has given me a generously long notice, after which he wants his house back to sell to his friend returning to Chiangmai from overseas.

Appreciate advice, names/location of moobans to look around in, or anything else.......

The only fully surrounding walls of the height your looking for, with a correspondingly high gate, that I've seen are all farther than 10 minutes from the moat. If your willing to be 30 mins away from the town center you'll find a very nice house that meets all your other needs. Out side of town I notice high solid gates are common, where as in town the metal grate style is popular.

Cat proof, that's even tougher of a requirement. Good luck

There's ONE property which springs to mind ... asking ~35k p/m, from memory, in mooban Wang Tan.

Search YOUTUBE for '

For Sale or Rent: Luxurious, fully furnished, 3 bedroom bungalow in Moobaan Wang Tan...'

or shoot me a PM.

2 other moobans, close to town, worth looking into = Nai Fan (near Night Safari) and Land & House Sivalee estate. Both are off Canal Road.

• Like 1

There's ONE property which springs to mind ... asking ~35k p/m, from memory, in mooban Wang Tan.

Search YOUTUBE for '

For Sale or Rent: Luxurious, fully furnished, 3 bedroom bungalow in Moobaan Wang Tan...'

or shoot me a PM.

Wang Tan map/location here:

http://wikimapia.org...64&z=16&l=0&m=b

2 other moobans, close to town, worth looking into = Nai Fan (near Night Safari) and Land & House Sivalee estate. Both are off Canal Road.

Wang Tan is fine is you enjoy airbus and boeings over your head 18 hours a day.

Search YOUTUBE for '

or shoot me a PM.

Wang Tan is fine is you enjoy airbus and boeings over your head 18 hours a day.

Good for drying your hair though biggrin.png

You typically don't fine high walls around houses in commercial developments, just a high wall surrounding the whole development.

Do you have a cat-phobia or something? It's relatively uncommon for gangs of cats to enter your house and eat you. wink.png

The opposite: I don't want any of my half dozen cats to stray and hence risk being lost or stolen. (Yes they would offer a temptation being pure breeds, beautiful, friendly towards strangers - and expensive, i.e. easy to sell.)

Search YOUTUBE for '

or shoot me a PM.

Thanks for those specific suggestions. I think - not a 100% sure - that I did look at Nai Fan and didn't see a house on rent or at all with the high walls.

But I will look at the particular house at 35k and the L&H compound.

Any others, anyone?

I should have mentioned I don't particularly want a furnished place - though that won't be a deal breaker.

Search YOUTUBE for '

or shoot me a PM.

That ad on youtube must be pretty old. I can without a doubt confirm that this house is not available.

I have rented just once here, that being my present house - for which the rent asked for was a great deal and to which I at once agreed.

Are advertised rents in Chiangmai by and large negotiable or not negotiable? I ask this otherwize naive question because often the commercial behaviour of thais is not what would be thought logical elsewhere. I don't want to risk losing a house I like by seeming to insult a landlord. And if it is negotiable what is the percentage range that is often achieved in negotiation?

Are advertised rents in Chiangmai by and large negotiable or not negotiable? I ask this otherwize naive question because often the commercial behaviour of thais is not what would be thought logical elsewhere. I don't want to risk losing a house I like by seeming to insult a landlord. And if it is negotiable what is the percentage range that is often achieved in negotiation?

As with any price negotiation, there's no fixed percentage. You'd just have to look if the rent seems very high, or just a bit high, or reasonable. You may also be able to get some discount through committing to a longer term, or by volunteering to make some improvements in combination with a longer term.

As with any price negotiation, there's no fixed percentage. You'd just have to look if the rent seems very high, or just a bit high, or reasonable. You may also be able to get some discount through committing to a longer term, or by volunteering to make some improvements in combination with a longer term.

Good tips. Thanks.

As a matter of useful info, do thais build in a margin to the initial rent in the expectation of negotiation? Or to put it another way what proportion of deals are done do you think - these days in Chiangmai - on the basis of the rent initially quoted on the ad.?

" ......need a cat-proof wall around, ie not less than 2,5 metres high .... "

are you trying to keep your cats in ... or other cats out ?

I am curious to follow to see what happens with your search, if you are trying to keep your cats in ! ..

.. since I may be in the same situation a few months from now, .... that is if you have cats and are trying to protect them by keeping them safe within your yard.

I am curious to follow to see what happens with your search, if you are trying to keep your cats in ! ..

.. since I may be in the same situation a few months from now, .... that is if you have cats and are trying to protect them by keeping them safe within your yard.

Yes, that is exactly why I want the high fence/wall. It looks like I will almost certainly have to accept an individual house, i.e. not one in a compound. I wanted the compound benefits of a clubhouse, security, etc but peace of mind about the cats is more important for me.

Good tips. Thanks.

As a matter of useful info, do thais build in a margin to the initial rent in the expectation of negotiation? Or to put it another way what proportion of deals are done do you think - these days in Chiangmai - on the basis of the rent initially quoted on the ad.?

Well, looking at some of the requested rents, especially on real estate sites, I would say yes. But then sometimes you just walk or ride around, notice an empty house, ask they neighbors, who then point you to the owner across the street, go talk to them, they want 6000 baht and that's pretty much what they think it's worth to them and to you.

But again, I would always negotiate the rent a bit, in a respectful and constructive manner. Won't hurt to try.

Yes, that is exactly why I want the high fence/wall. It looks like I will almost certainly have to accept an individual house, i.e. not one in a compound. I wanted the compound benefits of a clubhouse, security, etc but peace of mind about the cats is more important for me.

I truly respect your sense of responsibility and sacrifice for the sake of your cats,

It is admirable ! ... I wish you all the best !!

best of luck in your search ... as I may be on the same path in the future myself....