First Visit To Pattaya, Where To Stay And What To Do?

andrew1979

Hi guys

Just found this interesting forum at google. Me and my wife plan to visit Pattaya next month. We will go by ourself and not with tour groups. But honestly, I got no idea where to stay. Our main purpose going to pattaya is to watch cabaret show and shopping :D Can you guys please recommend some 4-5 stars hotel nearby, so that it is more convenient for me? Besides those two, anything fun in pattaya? Thanks

Stay has plethora of options. Hard Rock cafe if you want more american (I don't). Dusit hotel is upscale. Areca Lodge with the more pricy rooms might be a fair compromise.

Cabaret, well there is Alcazar and Tiffany. Both are performed by "ladyboys".

Day trip to Nong Nooch Tropical garden. DO NOT take the 1/2 day bus tour. Not enough time to see the whole place. really is beautiful.

One Million Year Crocodile Stone Park. Worth the visit.

All the night disco or go go oggling you could possibly want if interested. Just ask for "walking street" down by the water. South end of town. Also a "cabaret" show down that way around soi 15? Just north of Walking street and kind of perpendicular to it. Adult content but nothing that requires a zoo keeper's license.

Shopping malls are easy to see. Three big ones: North side of town Big C, Center of Town is big 6 story modern monstrosity. South end of town is Royal Garden Mall.

If you want more local Thai stuff, less exotic things just start walking. Little market places all over the place. can't miss em. South end of Soi Bukao, middle part of second road about where soi 10 is.

Several large Thai souvenir, furniture, statue stores all over the place.

Take in a movie just for the experience and decent price. A good way to beat the afternoon heat.

Beach south of town called Jomtien is probably the best beach for swimming.

Day trip rent a speed boat and go to offshore island Ko Larn.

Eats wise, indulge. Some very good German and Austrian food on second road between soi 7 and soi 8. Thai food all over.

Ruen Thai restaurant has a near continuous semi open air outside dining with Thai classical dancers and small "orchestra". Touristy but is unique for Pattaya. Go there one night. Has a big Thai souvenir and furniture and arts store right there

Do visit Phra Yai or the big buddha at the top of the hill south of Pattaya. Stop into the Chinese display area just below it. Often overlooked but different.

• Like 1

"Our main purpose going to pattaya is to watch cabaret show and shopping...."

The cabaret should take care of an hour or so but am I the only person who thinks that Pattaya shopping is totally devoid of interest? Very expensive and very little choice. Unless perhaps you are looking for fakes or are from Russia where, presumably, they still don't have any real shops.

There are quite a few decent hotels near the beach and the centre of town. How much do you want to pay and do you want a sea view?

2 cabaret shows are in north pattaya, so if you want to stay close to it, can check out agoda hotels in north pattaya.

there is another show-alanghat

other things to do

nonuch gardens

century of truth

mini siam

khao khao open zoo

safari world

flight of the gibbon(if you feel sporty and adventures)

Crocodile Farm

Elephant Village

Siracha Tiger Zoo

A few good hotels are the Amari and the new Holiday Inn next door. If you want to be in the middle of shopping, how about the new Hilton. Rooms are a bit pricey, but they're quite nice and right on top of Central Festival shopping mall. And right in the middle of everything else.

"Our main purpose going to pattaya is to watch cabaret show and shopping...."

The cabaret should take care of an hour or so but am I the only person who thinks that Pattaya shopping is totally devoid of interest? Very expensive and very little choice. Unless perhaps you are looking for fakes or are from Russia where, presumably, they still don't have any real shops.

There are quite a few decent hotels near the beach and the centre of town. How much do you want to pay and do you want a sea view?

On the topic of value for money shopping. As we know the retail chains source many items in China & just re-brand (same, same, but different). A Thai person I know buys quantities of T shirts etc in BKK for around 50 baht each item and sells them to tourists in Pattaya for 150/200 baht. In the high season makes between 3,000/5000 baht a day profit. Retail is so globalised that it's a challenge to find product that stands out from one store to another

A Thai person I know buys quantities of T shirts etc in BKK for around 50 baht each item and sells them to tourists in Pattaya for 150/200 baht.

Indeed. And you can often buy the same T-shirt in a UK supermarket for about 100B (equiv.). As far as I can see the same principle applies to many other things being sold here.

... If you want to be in the middle of shopping, how about the new Hilton. Rooms are a bit pricey ....

There's a 30% online discount on the rack rate for the summer period, though I suspect that this can probably be beaten all year round via a booking service.

Forgot to mention Pattaya Beer Garden. It's really a beautiful spot to eat, day or night. Not the cheapest but nothing expensive about it, especially considering the views.

What's funny is you, you have to walk down beside a pretty big bar complex, complete with Muay Thai (fake fights but very entertaining none the less) to get to the back where Pattaya Beer Garden is. It's very nice, no aircon but the views are wonderful.

Right before the entrance to Walking Street. It's the big bar complex on the water side of Beach Road at Walking Street, just walk down the passage on the right of the bar complex. I used to love the Muay Thai thing too even though I knew it was fake. They still put on a good show. The Muay Thai show and PB Garden are 2 different places just to be clear.

• Like 1

I wouldn't take my wife to Pattaya. (unless she was into threesomes)

Check out Cozy Beach, Cabbages and Condoms or the Rabbit Resort and make a sortie or 2 into town for the shows and shopping.

Rent a car or bike to explore the coast, enjoy the beaches & seafood.

• Like 1

Check out Cozy Beach, Cabbages and Condoms or the Rabbit Resort and make a sortie or 2 into town for the shows and shopping.

Cabbages and Condoms is amazing. Not cheap, but incredible.

Thai's love Pattaya. I use to be really against going into town, but we now do this 1 or 2 times a month...hooking up with a group of friends. Great fun, great music, lots to do....bad traffic on the weekends!!!!!! And no 3-somes required!

Would recommend to the OP not to rent a motorbike, way to many motorbike accidents in Thailand. However, if you do decide to do so make sure your travel insurance provides cover for a motorbike and check the T&C's. With a rental car ensure you have 1st class insurance.

Edited by simple1

Hilton or Sheraton. Prepare yourself for some interesting sites, working girls, lady boys, heavily tattooed body builders and quiet a bit of drunkedness late at night.

Be careful with wearing gold chains, hang onto your handbag, ladyboys on the beachfront late at night, don't hire jetskis and don't enter into any arguments with Thais.

Enjoy your stay, it will be an eyeopener.

Thanks for the reply guys. Conclusion is that several things to do in Pattaya is:

- Watch cabaret shows

- Bars and nightclubs.

- Shopping

- Take photos with ladyboys as I can see at google :D

Wowww, why is it so? Pattaya is a red light district? :D

The Million year stone park is A good day out, as someone already mentioned.

post-78403-0-15262200-1342063186_thumb.j

PBG also great place to watch the sunset.

post-78403-0-35519000-1342062777_thumb.j

Also mentioned was the Chinese area just below the big Buddah

post-78403-0-43586900-1342063028_thumb.j

Mini Siam.

post-78403-0-49322700-1342063067_thumb.j

Floating Market

post-78403-0-16179200-1342063230_thumb.j

Edited by Lantern