Bangkok's Don Mueang Airport Ready To Buzz With Activity

webfact

Well the very few people who will need to connect simply will need to make sure they allow enough time between connections. Not that difficult to have buses running every hour.

"Not that difficult to have buses running every hour." You forget this is Thailand!

Personally, I would not want to fly for 10-12 hours on an overnight flight, land at Swanpy, then

have to travel for 1-1.5 hours to get air asia flight to phuket or krabi

Then don't fly Air Asia!

• Like 1

Do you believe that Thai AirAsia will lose some traffic (estimate in percentage) from passengers on transfer from other airlines (long haul scheduled carrier)or who wanted to go to Pattaya?

Air Asia CEO
Tassapon Bijleveld
.:
The percentage of AirAsia
passengers who need to transfer to or from other airlines at Suvarnabhumi Airport is not that big
. However, for passengers who need to transit in Suvarnabhumi or go to Pattaya, they will still be able do so from Don Muang. Passengers who need to connect on other airlines at Suvarnabhumi will be able to enjoy the
convenient free shuttle bus services offered between Don Muang and Suvarnahbhumi Airport provided by AOT and AirAsia
. Those flying with AirAsia and intend to connect from an international AirAsia flight to a domestic AirAsia flight can do so at Don Muang Airport since all of our flights (domestic and international) will be moving there. To Pattaya, there will be direct services out of the airport.

http://traveldailyne...eo-thai-airasia

Edited by Nisa

Colinscarr, Fair post, but number 4, I do question. There will be a vast amount of between airport traffic when all the carriers are in place, it will be busy enough with Air asia connections.

Another point, if Thai pick up Air Asias customers, how are they going to get them AND their own to Swampy, they will need 6 extra planes from Udon alone. they are nearly broke, who is going to lend them money ??? will they lease Air Asia jets.

Hi Jinjag,

As neither of us has accurate figures for the number of passengers currently interlining between Air Asia and the legacy carriers at Swampy, I suggest we just agree to differ at least until such time as the move has happened.

Ref Thai picking up extra traffic at Udon, if they do, Having watched them load an A300 there with less than 100 passengers a couple of months ago (I was waiting for NokAir to DMK at the time.), I'd suggest they wouldn't have a problem accepting the extra traffic you envisage. But remember, there are many through fares for pax transitting Bangkok as part of an international journey, BUT these fares cannot be used on Air Asia or other LCCs because they don't do interline ticketing agreements, because it would make their admin much more complex and expensive

So far, it is apparent now that Suvarnabhumi will be its permanent base.

Just to absolutely throw enormous confusion into the entire story.

Proof reader anywhere?

Thank God someone else noticed. The whole article is badly written, and full of conflicting paragraphs

Edited by agogohome

Nisa going through the posts and comments from posters who said they will not now travel with Air Asia, they will opt for other-Thai or a.n. other. because of connections, times will be too close so they wouldn;t risk missing international. I planned a 1 day trip morning out- pm return to Jomptien. Now I cannot do the trip because of connections,--anyway This is just from Udon. I like Air Asia, I wish it was Thai moving to D.M. I am a member of both. .The study from the boss of Air Asia reassures passengers that connections are to be provided, good but one has to take into account of peak traffic, delayed flights and a host of other things. Other airlines are being asked to use D.M. given incentives so that will add more scramble for busses to Swampy.

My only hope is that Air Asia will start a direct service to U.K. from D.M. and I am sure it could be in the pipeline. That would be heaven (for me)

There will be winners and losers in the move, Short term Thai will benefit having domestic and international at one place,

Long term Air Asia may well fare better being

in a better financial state, with the bonus of newer and more fuel efficient aircraft.

Nok air and Orient will lose passengers to Thai initially they are bound to do, (Swampy connections)

When I travel to Jomptien my new car will do the trip nicely-630 K---7 and 3/4 hours. I will only lose 1 hour or so door to door.

Just a comment about Air Asia, taking the Udon-Swampy flights, 250 passengers are currently arriving at Swampy each flight -usually full. Near all these passengers ARE connecting as Swampy is not a tourist attraction. If they wanted to go to Bkk they would go Nok--Orient as they will then be near the city.

My point is therefore When Air Asia start at DM it will lose a vast ammount of passengers, as they will still want to go to Swampy and can go direct with Thai, without getting off at DM, looking for transport running the mill to Swampy.

Other regional airports passengers will have the same problem.

Direct flights are usually more convenient than stops, and changes.

Nisa going through the posts and comments from posters who said they will not now travel with Air Asia, they will opt for other-Thai or a.n. other. because of connections, times will be too close so they wouldn;t risk missing international. I planned a 1 day trip morning out- pm return to Jomptien. Now I cannot do the trip because of connections,--anyway This is just from Udon. I like Air Asia, I wish it was Thai moving to D.M. I am a member of both. .The study from the boss of Air Asia reassures passengers that connections are to be provided, good but one has to take into account of peak traffic, delayed flights and a host of other things. Other airlines are being asked to use D.M. given incentives so that will add more scramble for busses to Swampy.

My only hope is that Air Asia will start a direct service to U.K. from D.M. and I am sure it could be in the pipeline. That would be heaven (for me)

There will be winners and losers in the move, Short term Thai will benefit having domestic and international at one place,

Long term Air Asia may well fare better being

in a better financial state, with the bonus of newer and more fuel efficient aircraft.

Nok air and Orient will lose passengers to Thai initially they are bound to do, (Swampy connections)

When I travel to Jomptien my new car will do the trip nicely-630 K---7 and 3/4 hours. I will only lose 1 hour or so door to door.

Is the price and headaches really all that different than flying a budget airline to BKK and then checking in with another carrier to go to the UK as opposed to just booking a flight through somebody like Thai Airways and one of their partners? If it is, then simply allow for a longer connection time to go from DM to BKK. Yes, a little pain for you and the few people desiring or needing this but for the vast majority of other people, this is good news and there certainly won't be any need for changes in roadways, special lanes or anything of the sort as traffic will not be impacted at all.

Just a comment about Air Asia, taking the Udon-Swampy flights, 250 passengers are currently arriving at Swampy each flight -usually full. Near all these passengers ARE connecting as Swampy is not a tourist attraction. If they wanted to go to Bkk they would go Nok--Orient as they will then be near the city.

My point is therefore When Air Asia start at DM it will lose a vast ammount of passengers, as they will still want to go to Swampy and can go direct with Thai, without getting off at DM, looking for transport running the mill to Swampy.

Other regional airports passengers will have the same problem.

Direct flights are usually more convenient than stops, and changes.

Take a look around next time you are on a Air Asia flight. The vast majority of people are Thai and they are not transferring flights and the majority of the few who are, will board another Air Asia flight since there was not a direct flight to their destination, which Air Asia likely goes, from their origin.

Yes change isn't always great for some people but this change clearly is win for the vast majority of travelers. Tourists going to other destinations will simply book the second leg of their trip to allow time in Bangkok as most do. The few Expats that travel back and fourth to the west and live outside of Bangkok will be inconvenienced but they sky is not falling and in the end it will address a much larger problem that effects the much larger percentage of travelers while causing some passengers to have to take an hour drive between airports.

So, not a pleasant thing for you and you have a legitimate gripe but lets not pretend the sky is falling and their are countless reasons this is a bad idea beyond the fact it sucks for you.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

So far, it is apparent now that Suvarnabhumi will be its permanent base.

Just to absolutely throw enormous confusion into the entire story.

Proof reader anywhere?

Thank God someone else noticed. The whole article is badly written, and full of conflicting paragraphs

Which is completely normal for the english language press in this country. Very little, if at all, background fact checking or research is ever done and then the sub-editors usually make it worse. Thai officials sprout figures and info usually with no reference or context to previous statement on the subject and reporters glibly digest it all without question and churn out a confused report.

Another good example is when it was announced that BTS Saphan Taksin station would close the Nation stated that 4K pax use the station and the Post printed 50-70K pax a day! Neither was close.

Then many TV members base their comments on what is published....

Well the very few people who will need to connect simply will need to make sure they allow enough time between connections. Not that difficult to have buses running every hour.

"Not that difficult to have buses running every hour." You forget this is Thailand!

You may forget that there are currently already two public bus routes running every 30 mins between both airports (from the Public Transport Terminal and past DMK) as there has been since 2006! One even runs 24hrs a day. The BMTA has already announced that the services will be changed to terminate at DMK terminal instead of the current DM and Rangsit respectively. (There are also minivans that do the same routes)

Aside form that, you can be guaranteed a private operator will introduce a terminal door to terminal door service. Seriously, there are many valid criticisms that should be made about public transport in Bangkok but if you really don't know what you are talking about....................

Basically impossible to connect reliably in less than 4 hours. Done it many times when kkc flights were only at dmk. Traveling meant u needed to land at svb at 2.30 to be able to connect at 6pm.

Was an absolute pain traversing Bangkok with a deadline.

I find this timeframe in your statement to be grossly incorrect. I have done basically the same journey dozens of times in years past. At off peak times it would take 20-30 mins along the expressway. At peak times, usually it was easily under an hour but I advise people 1hrish.

In the absolute worst case scenario of peak time with heavy rain, an accident and a VIP convoy I still could not fathom how it would take more than 2hrs to complete a terminal to terminal journey.

Landing at BKK at 2:30pm is a good time immigration wise as few arrivals mid afternoon. Let's assume a far away gate, slow baggage collection and you are out the door at 3:15pm. That is a pretty good time to travel and should get you to DMK by 4pm no problems. However, assume rain, an accident and a wandering elephant on the Chonburi Motorway and I still can't see how you wouldn't arrive by 4:30pm. That is still only 2 hrs from landing and 90mins b4 your 6pm flight.

But then again if you wanted to do a tour of Minburi, Rangsit and Pakret between the 2 terminals perhaps you might approach 4 hrs.....

On the topic of mass transportation and convenient linkage to the airports, in the USA, Los Angeles, California gave a beautiful example of how NOT to build things correctly. They built nice new metro trains that go to a lot of places, but NONE of them run all the way to the airport. They all terminate about 5 miles away at the closest point. You have to get off the train, wrestle with busses, taxis or whatever. Absolutely nothing fast or easy or convenient about it.

Personally I liked it better, when they only had Don Muang... It was easy, convenient, if you needed a a little snooze, you could rent a room nearby, and yes by the hour.. Get a wake up call, and hit your domestic flight. I guess at best, I would call it the PPP Syndrome...(Piss Poor Planning....)

I think there is some confusion because of the previous article saying they wanted to move domestic flights to DM.

Air Asia is moving all its flights, domestic and international, to DM. It won't cost them any business at all. Probably increase it as the service in the terminal will improve dramatically.

Nisa, Why do you believe it -SUCKS for me??? The choices are vast, I travel Emirates/Ethihad/Eva, another long haul with Air Asia would be fantastic from D.M.

The 1 hour simply put is ridiculous comment-true on travel time between airports- but we are talking about landing getting off-getting out to then queue for transport, travel time to Swampy, and going to your departure gate to check in...1 Hour in all???

A few posts you grumbled about not wanting the west style of things, governments interferring in your private life-less hassle-red tape etc---explain this airport change---MORE HASSLE inconvenience.

Because of your Bkk home you are selfish in sort of saying it's ok. for you maybe, to either airport for you no problem. OTHER people are put out -GET IT ????

Nisa you said I have to look around on my next Air Asia flight, if very few at Swampy are only transferring flights----What are the others doing ??? having a day out at swampy ???? Suppose when A.A. move most will be having a day out at D.M.

Watch this space on the subject and we will see if all are happy with transport connections.

Nisa my world isn't falling apart over this, I am not a crank, we all have our gripes don't we, You are the same. Roll on the good service at D.M. as it mostly WAS years ago.

Air Asia will gain passengers going direct to BKK, but lose many by not going direct to Swampy --FACT-- if you argue with that your arguing for the sake of it.

Like YOU I hate things that hassle me, that INTRUDES my privacy and flow in life. Your statement on Visa many times.

I think that you are seemingly missing something here as I can't imagine you would propose that TG move their domestic flights to DMK! That would patently be absurd. It seems that you may be misunderstanding that DMK will remain a domestic airport which it WILL NOT.

I don't misunderstand anything....

If they would have started the extension of Swampy two years ago there would be no need to re-open DM.

Neither do I thing Swampy has a lack of gate availability nor are the runways congested.

DM though was congested since 1990, but Swampy can't handle more passengers???

Running one aiport is more effcient and cheaper and more convenient for passengers than running two or 3 airports.

So, If I don't like to pay more for my Thai Airways connecting flight all I have to do is to hub to that other airport, that is not patently absurd?

Do you think it's fun to run with luggage into a taxi, to cross a city with dreaded traffic locks, to pay extra money for transport, no extra-stress when you are travelling for 12 to 20 hours?

In Europe I have 30 minutes travel time to the nearest airport.

No way I will drive, fly or ride a train (get to the train station first and pull luggage all the way) to connect to an other airport, but in Bangkok not much choice left.

Jeez, the less I need to load/unload luggage the better.

Thus I will need to stick to Thai for my domestic connections, thank you idiots at AOT.

I think there is some confusion because of the previous article saying they wanted to move domestic flights to DM.

Air Asia is moving all its flights, domestic and international, to DM. It won't cost them any business at all. Probably increase it as the service in the terminal will improve dramatically.

I for one won't use Air Asia or any other airline flying out of DM for connecting domestic/international flights, see my post above.

I think that you are seemingly missing something here as I can't imagine you would propose that TG move their domestic flights to DMK! That would patently be absurd. It seems that you may be misunderstanding that DMK will remain a domestic airport which it WILL NOT.

I don't misunderstand anything....

If they would have started the extension of Swampy two years ago there would be no need to re-open DM.

Neither do I thing Swampy has a lack of gate availability nor are the runways congested.

DM though was congested since 1990, but Swampy can't handle more passengers???

Running one aiport is more effcient and cheaper and more convenient for passengers than running two or 3 airports.

So, If I don't like to pay more for my Thai Airways connecting flight all I have to do is to hub to that other airport, that is not patently absurd?

Do you think it's fun to run with luggage into a taxi, to cross a city with dreaded traffic locks, to pay extra money for transport, no extra-stress when you are travelling for 12 to 20 hours?

In Europe I have 30 minutes travel time to the nearest airport.

No way I will drive, fly or ride a train (get to the train station first and pull luggage all the way) to connect to an other airport, but in Bangkok not much choice left.

Jeez, the less I need to load/unload luggage the better.

Thus I will need to stick to Thai for my domestic connections, thank you idiots at AOT.

If you didn't misunderstand then I don't get why you wrote what you did "Then WHY don't Thai Airways domestic flights move to DM also? Lack of consistency?" ;

Am I the only one to be convinced that running TWO airports comes cheaper than running just ONE?

No doubt it is also MORE convenient for passengers to run from airport A to airport B to catch a connecting flight than boarding a plane at the same airport.

Then WHY don't Thai Airways domestic flights move to DM also? Lack of consistency?

OK, I do understand Bangkok airports capacity will increase overnight to 45+36.5 million passengers =81.5 million.

Can you pls clarify what you meant then as is it difficult but to take a literal meaning from that sentence?

No one is forcing you to fly with anyone! Pay a little more for a TG flight if you want the convenience. People who need to transfer the same day and want to save a little will make their way to DMK for an LCC. No real hassle any more than it is going to a LCC terminal in many european cities. I fail to see the problem. In a year or so, no one will be whining that much about the status quo of having 2 airports anymore than people whine about Paris or London having 3 airports (ok with LHR we all do whine as it is such a shitty experience!).

You really are making it out to be some hazardous, obstacle course when people do it all the time. A lot fo long term airport workers still live out near DMK. I have done much the same journey dozens and dozens of times over the years and it usually takes not more than 20-30mins off peak and a max of 60mins peak door to door. There are numerous public transport options for those who want to save money or wish to take it and in the future there will be an extended Airport Railway Line.

I for one won't use Air Asia or any other airline flying out of DM for connecting domestic/international flights, see my post above.

Air Asia won't have any drop in their pax from this move, their numbers will still keep rising given their model and that most pax fly them to save some money. A few, such as yourself will opt to pay more and fly TG or PG but 95% won't.

Price and schedules tend to be main motivating factors but another issue to consider is that for many people who reside in the north or NW of BKK, traveling domestically from DMK is preferable given the proximity factor. In the past when TG was still there, I always flew from DMK as I knew I could spend 10 mins travelling to the airport, arrive 30 mins before my flight, check in and be at the gate in 5mins. When landing, you could often be out the door in a taxi within 10 mins from the flight opening the door at the airbridge given the short walk and that baggage came out very quickly. (That was all at the old Domestic Term whereas operations are now at T1)

It was a breeze compared to Swampy and still is for those that fly Nok. (clearly that will change once AA moves there)

Basically impossible to connect reliably in less than 4 hours. Done it many times when kkc flights were only at dmk. Traveling meant u needed to land at svb at 2.30 to be able to connect at 6pm.

I find this timeframe in your statement to be grossly incorrect. I have done basically the same journey dozens of times in years past. At off peak times it would take 20-30 mins along the expressway. At peak times, usually it was easily under an hour but I advise people 1hrish.

In the absolute worst case scenario of peak time with heavy rain, an accident and a VIP convoy I still could not fathom how it would take more than 2hrs to complete a terminal to terminal journey.

Landing at BKK at 2:30pm is a good time immigration wise as few arrivals mid afternoon. Let's assume a far away gate, slow baggage collection and you are out the door at 3:15pm. That is a pretty good time to travel and should get you to DMK by 4pm no problems. However, assume rain, an accident and a wandering elephant on the Chonburi Motorway and I still can't see how you wouldn't arrive by 4:30pm. That is still only 2 hrs from landing and 90mins b4 your 6pm flight.

But then again if you wanted to do a tour of Minburi, Rangsit and Pakret between the 2 terminals perhaps you might approach 4 hrs.....

I never once made a connection quicker than 2 hours from arrival at svb that was using aot taxis. Running sprinting all the way to get a 6.30 takr off.

Last flight to khon kaen was 6. 30 pm, check in 45 mins before. Did you notice that there is the odd bit of traffic at around 5pm in bangkok. If you can reliably say from touch down to kerbside at svb, you are a braver man than me.

I never once made a connection quicker than 2 hours from arrival at svb that was using aot taxis. Running sprinting all the way to get a 6.30 takr off.

Last flight to khon kaen was 6. 30 pm, check in 45 mins before. Did you notice that there is the odd bit of traffic at around 5pm in bangkok. If you can reliably say from touch down to kerbside in 45 mins at svb, you are a braver man than me.

Last flight to khon kaen was 6. 30 pm, check in 45 mins before. Did you notice that there is the odd bit of traffic at around 5pm in bangkok. If you can reliably say from touch down to kerbside in 45 mins at svb, you are a braver man than me.

Passengers who are affected by the switch to Don Mueang Airport, may alter their flights by either choosing another travel date on the same route either 7 days before or after their original travel date, at no additional cost. Passengers also have an option to convert the paid flight into credit shell available to be used within the next 90 days. The change options are only available to affected passengers who purchased their tickets before 26 June 2012 whose travel dates are from 1 October 2012 onwards.

I have 2 flights before 1st October, no probs. (Air Asia) After that I will watch the situ unfold ie suitable connections, as promissed by Air Asia CEO/AOT. also will see if Thai can now get it's act together as it has the monopoly at most regional airports for direct connections to Swampy. I am hoping they will be fair in their pricing and NOT do a Bkk air and raise it's fares (example-Samui near monopoly) not in all cases but if you want a direct flight to Swampy (regional) you have to fly Thai.--------------If you want to fly to Samui you have to fly Bkk Air. Just wonder if any favouritism is given to these 2 Airlines.

Last flight to khon kaen was 6. 30 pm, check in 45 mins before. Did you notice that there is the odd bit of traffic at around 5pm in bangkok. If you can reliably say from touch down to kerbside at svb, you are a braver man than me.

Nothing to do with bravery, just not wasting time. Immigration is good at that time as few landing and each zone has its own patterns based on the time of day (one is always more crowded than the other) and I ensure I have priority baggage tags. Easy to be kerbside from departing the plane in 30 mins let alone 45 mins. Regular users get to understand the patterns of an airport and also learn options when problems arise.

However, I am a tad confused, at first you wrote, "Basically impossible to connect reliably in less than 4 hours." This is why I wrote a lengthy response, I consider that statement grossly misleading. Now you write, "I never once made a connection quicker than 2 hours from arrival at svb that was using aot taxis." Which suggests that you previously have done the trip in more than 2 hours but less than 4. Your 2nd statement seemingly contradicts the first.

So you land at 2:30pm but according to your first statement is it "basically" impossible to make a 6:30pm flight. So then you HAVE TO either book a TG flight to KK or stay overnight as clearly you don't enjoy the stress and anxiety created by your perceived 4hr transfer time. If we are to take your 2nd statement as being somewhat more realistic then you won't get to DMK until at least after 4:30pm. really it seems this is a no issue as you were flying TG from DMK to KK before they moved all domestic to BKK, right?

I am happy to stick with that 4:30pm would generally be the latest time for the overwhelming majority of journeys around this time. I have done it dozens and dozens of times over the years at all times of the day and night. For moi to land at 2:30pm, it would be straight up to departures into a taxi for a nice easy mid afternoon run into town on the Chonburi Motorway (most of the traffic heads east in the afternoon) and then an quick run along the now expensive Utraphimuk Expressway.

If it was pouring rain when I landed, I'd probably take the ARL to Makkasan and then taxi straight onto the Expressway from the Ratchada on ramp. 90 times out of 100 I can't see that trip taking longer than 30-40mins off peak, 60-75mins peak. The other 10 being the times when one is delayed 15-20mins due to a VIP convoy or there has been an accident it might take 90 mins or at the very extreme, 2 hrs max. (with the aforementioned elephant wandering the expressway). ;)

Perhaps, there is some other pertinent info missing, eg. you are disabled and movement takes longer? In any event, you clearly won't be doing this trip in the future as you don't think that it can be done in the timeframe required, you'll fly TG to KK and save yourself an expensive AOT limo taxi ride.

If you think BKK is bad try Manila, Jakarta or Mumbai for a cross city journey!