GMM Grammy Faces Challenges Despite Euro 2012 Boon

webfact

GMM Grammy faces challenges despite Euro 2012 boon

WATCHIRANONT THONGTEP

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Although its live broadcasts of the Euro 2012 soccer tournament created large profits, music and entertainment giant GMM Grammy faces challenges, particularly for its coming pay-TV services, according to a media analysis.

GMM Z, the satellite broadcast unit of GMM Grammy, plans to launch exclusive content to spur another 1 million sales of its set-top boxes during the rest of this year after Euro 2012 ended on July 2 with more than a million boxes sold.

Dew Waratangtagoon, managing director for platform strategy at GMM Z, told The Nation that in the middle of this month, the company would launch new exclusive content to be screened on its three special channels: GMM Z Hits, GMM Z Theatre and GMM Z Genius. Customers will get access to these channels for free.

Though Dew declined to provide details about this new content, he said he strongly believed the material would be adequate to retain its existing customers as well as lure new ones.

The company has retained its sales target of 2 million set-top boxes by the end of the year. Revenue from selling another 1 million boxes will mainly be offset by the cost of operating cost the exclusive channels.

Dew said the company's new pay-TV service might be launched in the final quarter of this year but would be offered as an a-la-carte package under prepaid conditions.

In a previous interview, Thana Thienachariya, chief executive officer of GMM Z, said his company would offer prepaid service to registered customers who want to access pay-TV content on its 10 special channels. For example, the package that costs Bt300 monthly offers five or six sports channels, and the package that costs Bt200 monthly offers four entertainment channels. With this new service, the company expects to have 100,000 subscribers by the end of this year, said the CEO.

However, GMM Grammy might revise its strategy for pay-TV services after its rival RS launched its "Sunbox" satellite TV set-top boxes, which will allow each buyer to access live coverage of La Liga, the most popular soccer league in Spain, from the 2012-13 through 2015-16 seasons.

Under RS's aggressive marketing effort, it aims to have 500,000 subscribers by end of the first season of La Liga by offering a Bt1,200 annual subscription fee, calculating that its customers pay only Bt100 a month.

An analysis by Kiatnakin Securities found that with the strong competition, GMM Grammy would face another challenge in the pay-TV business as its operating cost for its exclusive channels is about Bt1 billion a year.

Though GMM Grammy might see a surge in its results for the second quarter of this year due to the Euro 2012 soccer tournament, the second half cannot be predicted, as so far its pay-TV service via GMM Z box remains unclear, according to the analysis.

Additionally, Kiatnakin estimated that GMM Grammy would enjoy about Bt200 million to Bt300 million in profit from the 1 million to 1.1 million set-top boxes sold during Euro 2012, lower than the target of 1.5 million boxes. In the meantime, GMM Grammy probably gained revenue from sponsorship of about Bt300 million to Bt400 million.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-09

It's hard breaking into a market where the 800 pound guerrilla named TrueVisions pretty much rules the pay TV market in Thailand. Sure, there are other pay TV companies in Thailand, but they are just baby guerrillas marketshare-wise.

• Like 1

I don't understand what is so good about the Grammy Box? There are only 3 English channels to watch, isn't it? Universal, Syfy and AXN???

True Visions got lots of English speaking channels and many HD channels.

I just got my True Box a couple of days ago with Platinum Package incl. all HD channels and the 3 extra HBO channels.

I am more than happy with that.

Report back to us in 6months with a description of what you think of the True package .Repetetion abound sure it has english channels but the internet has the lot in any language you wish to choose.Im sure you will end up flippin channels after 3 months lol .Yes i was a true subscriber ,was being the True word here .cheers

• Like 1

True sucks. GMM are no better. Internet tv is way to go. Just got hold of apple tv devise. Bye bye satellite.

Indeed, True isn't up to any great shakes, and Grammy is even worse by the look of things. For the premium programming they seem to believe they possess, internet TV will wallop both of these companies eventually.

I heard that RS, the world cup right holder, is going to pull the same fast one as Grammy.

Eg. More black screen coming in 2 years.

RS announced they are happy to negotiate contracts with anyone else for content sharing.

Bets on weather Grammy or True try to exclusively cut out the other in a deal?

Chances are True would try, that is their M.O. vs any competition in all their markets.

I don't understand what is so good about the Grammy Box? There are only 3 English channels to watch, isn't it? Universal, Syfy and AXN???

I just got my True Box a couple of days ago with Platinum Package incl. all HD channels and the 3 extra HBO channels.

You are right, so far the choices for English speaking farang is pretty awful

I have already put my Grammy box away to collect dust.

Also I have noticed that TRUE have ASN ack, it is on channel 114, this will

please many from North America as it has NFL and NHL

About RS sends la liga, the top games will play late in the Spanish evening so between 2 and 4 in the night in Thailand.

About True, we had the Gold package, very expensive for 4 stupid Golf game channels 2e class movies with many repetitions and the usual terrible Thai tv. What left is some(times) other sports, the English soccer competition and the depressive making news channels, all by all much to expensive. I am not a regular watcher and my wife watches most Thai. We use that GMM box now, no pay tv so far. We will see.

Edited by Joop50

Yes it was a hefty penalty of 5000 THB to watch Euro 2012 in HD. Now I have decommissioned the Grammy rubbish box as it needs the full signal meaning that when you have two or three TRueVision boxes you cannot have the switched on. I admit though that it seems odd that True cannot even launch a few decent HD channels why Grammy can launch 6 or so. If the shoot the self-proclaimed funny people sowing up before the matches they might have a chance.

Lol, satellite dishes/cable are so passé.

True are diabolical in every sense of the word. They actively seem to be trying to destroy their farang customer base as much as possible. Long may it continue. They don't deserve to profit from us for such a lacking service.

The fact people have said they've already put away their GMM boxes is very unsurprising. What a waste of money. GMM management will be looking at the True behemoth and be trying to emulate them and all their business practices, whilst waging petty wars and grudge matches with them at the same time. What a lovely position for the clientele to be in!

What amazes me is that you fellas haven't worked out how to use the internet yet, to fulfill all your television needs. All countries, all channels, all major sporting events, all in HD. Easily found.

It's all there, with small fees included, if you get the right things. Cheaper than subscriber packages that you're tied down to for months, cheaper than the shitty boxes you get and have to eventually return.

If you're out in the sticks with poor internet choices then I feel for you. If you're in a internet friendly area and are dependent on the Thais for your TV, then I really feel for you too. If you're having to get hooked up with Astro, which I understand is a bit of a headache as they're Malaysian, I equally feel for you.

Learn how to use the internet to get what you need and drop 'em. They don't deserve your hard-earned money.

I've used the internet to watch television in HD for several years now at 1/3 or less of the cost of a contract monthly and I'm never tied into it.

(I can't go into great detail in this thread about what you can do as TV rules don't allow it. My friends P. Roxy, V. P. Enn. and X. Patty V., can all help you though if you need it.)

Edited by ManInSurat

No wonder for what you pay! Way too expensive, way too crooked in administration. TRUE is a true problem: NEVER anymore in my premises!!! Rip-off hanky panky company that should disappear from the market as soon as possible.

I heard that RS, the world cup right holder, is going to pull the same fast one as Grammy.

Eg. More black screen coming in 2 years.

RS announced they are happy to negotiate contracts with anyone else for content sharing.

Bets on weather Grammy or True try to exclusively cut out the other in a deal?

Chances are True would try, that is their M.O. vs any competition in all their markets.

Again True will go quiet.

1 week before the games, True will approach RS and say, can I have the games for FREE?

Same same reply: NO, unless you pay me a zillion. Make that 9.9 zillion.

The court loop starts all over again.

Internet sport is unreliable, sure, if there is a provider you can pay then the telecast is close to HD.

Too many sports don't have a genuine provider uploading content.

For example MotoGP has wonderful internet coverage for 100 euro's a year, no ads.

Aussie live AFL, yes, its brilliant. Aussie live NRL, poor coverage because of Setantas contract.

Formula1 no intrenet subscription available...Their coverage on ESPN has too many ads and their LOUD!.

Cricket not usually, some tournaments are available on subscription.

The Pirate sites often have a good feed but disappointment is common, sitting and refreshing with the mouse isn't fun.

Plus there are many subscription sport sites that are bogus.

What amazes me is that you fellas haven't worked out how to use the internet yet, to fulfill all your television needs. All countries, all channels, all major sporting events, all in HD. Easily found.

What amazes me that you think "we fellas" don't know that. We just don't have good enough internet so we have to talk/write about these satellite dishes, as passé their are

Lol, satellite dishes/cable are so passé.

True are diabolical in every sense of the word. They actively seem to be trying to destroy their farang customer base as much as possible. Long may it continue. They don't deserve to profit from us for such a lacking service.

The fact people have said they've already put away their GMM boxes is very unsurprising. What a waste of money. GMM management will be looking at the True behemoth and be trying to emulate them and all their business practices, whilst waging petty wars and grudge matches with them at the same time. What a lovely position for the clientele to be in!

It's all there, with small fees included, if you get the right things. Cheaper than subscriber packages that you're tied down to for months, cheaper than the shitty boxes you get and have to eventually return.

If you're out in the sticks with poor internet choices then I feel for you. If you're in a internet friendly area and are dependent on the Thais for your TV, then I really feel for you too. If you're having to get hooked up with Astro, which I understand is a bit of a headache as they're Malaysian, I equally feel for you.

Learn how to use the internet to get what you need and drop 'em. They don't deserve your hard-earned money.

I've used the internet to watch television in HD for several years now at 1/3 or less of the cost of a contract monthly and I'm never tied into it.

(I can't go into great detail in this thread about what you can do as TV rules don't allow it. My friends P. Roxy, V. P. Enn. and X. Patty V., can all help you though if you need it.)

Exactly what international DL speeds are you getting?!

I am familiar with your friends, have used them all and none give me anywhere near the consistency, reliability of my trusty Truevisions HD PVR or even as much content. You get access to all premiership football games with pre match build up and English commentary in HD over the internet? Really? How many goals have you missed as the image freezes and audio continues, disjointed from the picture?! Even your mate X Patty V can't offer a consistent service and they're streaming content that is free in the UK over local servers...

For less than 3,000 bt a month I have 4x True receivers in my house, I can pause live TV, record content on any receiver and share it with the other receivers in the house. This month I will get access to an additional 17 channels of HD on all 4 receivers for free... what do you expect from a satellite provider? Free coffee and blow jobs? I think True are doing a good job of providing decent content at reasonable rates. They are the only Thai company driving Thai TV into the 21st century...

I don't know what the poster banging on about Grammy releasing 6 HD channels is going on about - the receivers they forced people to buy for the Euros don't even have component video outputs let alone HDMi! Total rubbish. At least with True you don't have to buy the receiver so when an updated model is released you just give the old one back and get a new one, free...

I get the impression that some people will simply never be happy and just take each and opportunity to moan about anything, whether relevant or not.

• Like 1

Ferangled, while I agree with most of your comment, i was under the impression that the True receivers were rented, not free. I bought one many years ago, and I'm currently looking to replace it.

You're quite correct they are "rented" as part of the subscription payment, usually requiring an initial deposit (2,000 bt?) which is refundable should you cease using the service. You can actually buy the receivers from them but I wouldn't recommend this. If you have a "rented" receiver you qualify for free upgrades to later release receivers. I believe that you can still trade in your old receiver even if you bought it, for a new HD one, but you won't own the new receiver... unless you pay the extra to buy it, which I wouldn't recommend; if it breaks it's your problem, if a rental one breaks they'll replace it FOC.

Service obviously varies from province to province but I've found with all Thai companies it's about finding one individual working there that has the truly rare characteristic called common sense! I have a friendly local technician's mobile number for each service I use - True, TOT and 3BB. Any issue I call them, never the company line and I generally get same day resolutions.

I have been burnt by buying one of the original True PVRs... which although still working is now redundant given the release of the True HD PVR. I still use it with no subscription for FTA channels, when they're not being hijacked by other sat providers in dodgy dealings and switched off....!

I was offered the option of trading this in for a new HD PVR but I have a bunch of the kids favourites stored to the HDD and I can't copy the content over to the new receiver... and I quite like using it as a free tuner for FTA sat channels on True with the added benefit of having ready access to Kung <deleted> Panda etc to calm the screaming hordes if necessary!

Edited by Ferangled