Old Focus Or New Focus?

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been considering a Focus hatchback Sport mainly because of the significant price differential with the Civic and secondarily because it's a good looking, practical car. But where are all the road reports here on Thaivisa, like there is for the Ranger? I think the lack of same is a bad sign.

Owners who are ecstatic about their rides usually like to tell the world. Well, plainly there doesn't appear to be enough of their type.

Here's another bad sign. You can drive away in a new Focus 1.6 or Sport 2.0 or Sport + 2.0 tomorrow if you visit Ford Pattaya (Sukhumvit and Wat Bun Kanchana Rd.) in any one of several colours. Try that in a Civic. I may have just made up my mind.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

I've been considering a Focus hatchback Sport mainly because of the significant price differential with the Civic and secondarily because it's a good looking, practical car. But where are all the road reports here on Thaivisa, like there is for the Ranger? I think the lack of same is a bad sign.

Owners who are ecstatic about their rides usually like to tell the world. Well, plainly there doesn't appear to be enough of their type.

Here's another bad sign. You can drive away in a new Focus 1.6 or Sport 2.0 or Sport + 2.0 tomorrow if you visit Ford Pattaya (Sukhumvit and Wat Bun Kanchana Rd.) in any one of several colours. Try that in a Civic. I may have just made up my mind.

I bought the Focus 2.0 Sport + for my wife last summer and its been superb. The handling is 1st class, my wife hated bends before now she thinks she;s vicki Butler Henderson from 5th gear. Acceleration is cracking for a standard 2.0 Thai car. The brakes are superb, the sound system rocks, the voice recognition is a cool gadget and the bucket seats hold me in place as my wife is exploring the cars limits in the bends.

I'd love a Ford ranger 3.2 Wildtrak but the halfwits don't seem to want to build them for Thailand so its a BT 50 for me.

• Like 1

Got this from Ford (Thailand) after I asked for an English manual: (I've downloaded it and it looks good)

About the enquiry you have asked if we have the Owner Manual for Ford All New Focus in English version. We do apologize that we can not send out the handbook since it never been print out in English version for Thailand’s market. We recommend you to download this Model’s Owner Manual as PDF file. We can not attach the file with this email since the file’s size is too big. Then, please follow this link which you can download the file directly,http://www.mediafire.com/?e48pb8g4fd2ft76

If you have any question, please contact us back at Ford Thailand Customer Care Team 02-686-5899 . We are sure that we can give you more details.

Best Regards,

Ford Thailand Customer Care Team

• Like 2

I bought the Focus 2.0 Sport + for my wife last summer and its been superb. The handling is 1st class, my wife hated bends before now she thinks she;s vicki Butler Henderson from 5th gear. Acceleration is cracking for a standard 2.0 Thai car. The brakes are superb, the sound system rocks, the voice recognition is a cool gadget and the bucket seats hold me in place as my wife is exploring the cars limits in the bends.

I'd love a Ford ranger 3.2 Wildtrak but the halfwits don't seem to want to build them for Thailand so its a BT 50 for me.

Despite the info in my post no85, I too ended up buying a new model Focus Sport+ in Met Candy Apple Red. Agree with all the above comments. It goes great but still not managed to get the fuel consumption over 9lts/km. Hope that will improve after a 1st service.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reports, Big Guns and Dilligad.

I've seen a few new Focuses on the streets of Pattaya, Jomtien and Bangkok. They look very attractive and are a relief from the Civic infested streets. So come'on you new Focus owners, please give us a report, even a brief one.

Thanks for the reports, Big Guns and Dilligad.

I've seen a few new Focuses on the streets of Pattaya, Jomtien and Bangkok. They look very attractive and are a relief from the Civic infested streets. So come'on you new Focus owners, please give us a report, even a brief one.

Agreed. I have a 7th gen civic but the new fb civic just leave me cold. It's very bland like the altis. Cheap to run cheap to fix; I guess that's what most Thais like:)

. So come'on you new Focus owners, please give us a report, even a brief one.

overall style & colour

LED/Zenon lights

Ambiant lighting (interior)

'turn' h/lights when turning a corner.

flick the indicators and they flash 4 times. great for overtaking.

Sony sound system inc voice recognision

performance & handing (better than my BMW 3ltr coupe)

Keyless open/start.

Dislikes:-

petrol consumption (initial)

interior 'map' lights (should be central and not above the doors)

no additional 12v socket (for GPS)

No GPS

Park assist (a gimmick) although sensors are useful

No rearview camera

No DRL's (16k b extra)

Overall, I am very pleased with the car and the new age technology (unlike some of the other alternative cars mentioned)

• Like 1

Just a bump:

Any other "All New" Focus owners wish to contribute their thoughts on their sedans or hatchbacks? Positives and negatives welcome.

I am 90% sure I will opt for a Focus, having just looked over the Nissan Sylphy (good value, solid, buyer friendly but boring), Honda Civic (attractive but too small a cockpit for 186 cm me, overpriced, and a dealer sales agent attitude that potential buyers can be ignored at a whim), Chevrolet (attractive but beauty only skin deep), and finally, Toyota (I simply do NOT like Toyota or its vehicles). The only Mitsu I would want is the (too expensive) Evolution, and (imported) Subarus are way too expensive. I would buy a Subaru today if they were made here, after my wonderful experience with a '92 Legacy Turbo I had for 11 years -- and still going strong in a friend's hands.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Got a 4 door 1.6 AT Trend (one of the ones you may have seen around Pattaya and Jomtien).

Ordered at the motorshow (with all of the extras we were after) and delivered early Jan.

First car I have been driving regularly so not much comparison, find it really struggles to weave in and out through traffic but the air con and sound system are much better than any motorbike. Lots more storage too!

Very comfortable, smooth drive and good handling.

Not a racecar but certainly fast enough, accelerates when it needs to and is comfortable at or over the speed limits.

Bluetooth and voice control system is very useful and the stereo sounds good pumping out some rock music.

Very happy with it.

• Like 1

The Mrs has the focus+ and its just about done 9000km so far its been good she loves it. Like others have mentioned the handling is pretty good for a Thai car and the 2.0l engine is decent with enough there to overtake (or undertake smile.png ) if need be. Never used the park assist and probably never will but the active brake system works pretty well as had a car pull out infront of me and the car braked (we were doing only 20km) so that works but really for me both these options are something that is not really worth the extra money unless your going to use the car around the town in that case the Fiesta would be a better option. The sound system is decent and I like the lights at night when you turn the wheel it brings on another light at the side of the car which is good especially for the Mrs smile.png

We have used the car going to and from Bangkok from SaKaeo and its a smooth drive and even up at 140kph its is nice to drive.

Few things I find annoying was after few weeks the car had to go in to get a new front bumper, some idiot forgot to put his handbrake on and his truck rolled into front of the car. We had to take the car to Isuzu to get it fixed something that if I knew at the time of buying the car would have put me off buying it. It took over a week to repair the bumper probably using her car as demonstration to the other Isuzu mechanics. I also noticed that the gap on the boot between the tail lights is not the same just little thing I have noticed. Apart from that the car is so far so good however I find the service at 15000km to be a little bit to long and will probably take it in at 10000km has anyone had different service interval from the dealer?

• Like 1

I've had my Focus 2.0 Titanium 4-door for a few weeks now. I love the handling, comfort, voice control and keyless entry & push-start. Stereo is brilliant, as is the gearbox and Powershift. I didn't go for the extra 100,000 baht or so for the Titanium+ as I figured the technology would be too much as I prefer to be in control. But that's just me. Also, I couldn't see much use for a sun-roof in this climate.The only downside is that I'm getting nowhere near Ford's urban fuel consumption specs of 30mpg (9 litres/100km). At best I'm getting 21mpg (13 litres/100km). This is in Bangkok traffic though, so perhaps I shouldn't be expecting too much. I haven't been on a long run yet, so will measure it then. Other than that I would thoroughly recommend it. Plus I got lots of extras thrown in (1 year 1st class insurance, 3M window film, car cover, scuff plates, boot liner, mats (rubber and fabric), and free servicing for 18 months (two services), all from Ford Srinakarin.

• Like 1

I've had my Focus 2.0 Titanium 4-door for a few weeks now. I love the handling, comfort, voice control and keyless entry & push-start. Stereo is brilliant, as is the gearbox and Powershift. I didn't go for the extra 100,000 baht or so for the Titanium+ as I figured the technology would be too much as I prefer to be in control. But that's just me. Also, I couldn't see much use for a sun-roof in this climate.The only downside is that I'm getting nowhere near Ford's urban fuel consumption specs of 30mpg (9 litres/100km). At best I'm getting 21mpg (13 litres/100km). This is in Bangkok traffic though, so perhaps I shouldn't be expecting too much. I haven't been on a long run yet, so will measure it then. Other than that I would thoroughly recommend it. Plus I got lots of extras thrown in (1 year 1st class insurance, 3M window film, car cover, scuff plates, boot liner, mats (rubber and fabric), and free servicing for 18 months (two services), all from Ford Srinakarin.

Agreed. I might select a sunroof in Canada, but Thailand? No thanks. Also you lose more than 1 inch (2.5 cm) headroom with a sunroof. Then there's the potential for water leaks in this tropical monsoon climate and a bit of loss in structural integrity. And one can save 110,000 bt by choosing the Sport model. In my world, every 100,000 bt is big money.

Thanks for the report.

Anyone have service department experience? Going to Isuzu for body work? Really?

Ford Pattaya says it takes one month for an order. Anyone have experience of Ford in Bangkok in terms of in-stock choice?

• Like 1

Agreed. I might select a sunroof in Canada, but Thailand? No thanks. Also you lose more than 1 inch (2.5 cm) headroom with a sunroof. Then there's the potential for water leaks in this tropical monsoon climate and a bit of loss in structural integrity. And one can save 110,000 bt by choosing the Sport model. In my world, every 100,000 bt is big money.

Thanks for the report.

Anyone have service department experience? Going to Isuzu for body work? Really?

Ford Pattaya says it takes one month for an order. Anyone have experience of Ford in Bangkok in terms of in-stock choice?

Yes really we stay in SaKaeo and there is a Ford dealer but no service centre, I was at work at the time and told the Mrs to go to Ford to fix it (Pattaya) and was told that we had to use Isuzu (by Ford) as they are in partnership with them. I was little bit dissapointed but not surprised.

• Like 1

Got my 2.0 Titanium in Frozen White within three weeks from Ford Srinakarin. 56km on the clock, so I think it came from another dealer rather than the factory. This practice is common though.

Thanks lads. Visited Ford Ek Silom in Bangkok Friday. They're saying 2-3 months now for a white Focus Sport and about the same for red. Last week Pattaya Ford said about a month. Oh well. My problem right now though is the strong baht, which is wreaking havoc on my plans to move dollars to Thailand. Hoping for a reverse of the sliding Canadian dollar. Soon!

Thanks lads. Visited Ford Ek Silom in Bangkok Friday. They're saying 2-3 months now for a white Focus Sport and about the same for red. Last week Pattaya Ford said about a month. Oh well. My problem right now though is the strong baht, which is wreaking havoc on my plans to move dollars to Thailand. Hoping for a reverse of the sliding Canadian dollar. Soon!

Not trying to add salt to the wound, but you should also expect delivery times to lengthen further when the Motor Show starts at the end of next month..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got off the fence last week and ordered a white Focus Sport (not Plus) hatchback from Pattaya Ford (Chonburi Top Car Co. is titled on the vehicle booking form). Thanks, in part, to happy owners who posted above.

Freebies: first class insurance, window tint, various mats and liners, window wind deflectors, license frame plate (woohoo!), 500 baht gas, free service coupons.

Decided to finance in part so I don't have to throw a million baht on the table all at once. But put down a big downpayment. Interest rate of 2.6% on remainder over 36 months.

Arriving in one month, "2 months max."

Must say the young male salesman, who I talked to at least three times over 2 months, was very knowledgeable and helpful. As were others every time I visited.

So it should be here sometime after mid-April. (How's that for an open-ended statement?)

I finally got off the fence last week and ordered a white Focus Sport (not Plus) hatchback from Pattaya Ford (Chonburi Top Car Co. is titled on the vehicle booking form). Thanks, in part, to happy owners who posted above.

Freebies: first class insurance, window tint, various mats and liners, window wind deflectors, license frame plate (woohoo!), 500 baht gas, free service coupons.

Decided to finance in part so I don't have to throw a million baht on the table all at once. But put down a big downpayment. Interest rate of 2.6% on remainder over 36 months.

Must say the young male salesman, who I talked to at least three times over 2 months, was very knowledgeable and helpful. As were others every time I visited.

So it should be here sometime after mid-April. (How's that for an open-ended statement?)

If my experience is anything to go by (even though I got the 4-door Titanium, not plus, so same spec as yours) you'll love it. The white is the best choice of colour in my opinion as, man, it is super-white. Good choice. Enjoy.

• Like 1

If my experience is anything to go by (even though I got the 4-door Titanium, not plus, so same spec as yours) you'll love it. The white is the best choice of colour in my opinion as, man, it is super-white. Good choice. Enjoy.

Looks bloody awful IMO.The Almeira looks like it's in a higher group.

Looks are all a matter of opinion. I was stuck between the Sylphy (not Almera) and the Focus, but I prefer to be in a robust vehicle in the event of an accident and not something that will fold up on impact, hence I chose the Focus as it has an NCAP 5-Star rating.

• Like 1

Well, things are moving fast. I deposited 5,000 baht on 14th. Got a call this week on 19th to come in for document check and that I'll get the the new baby Ford next week. I figure that to be, oh, 2 weeks! Hmmm, could it be that putting more than half the price down accelerated the arrival? My friends think so. 555.

Well, things are moving fast. I deposited 5,000 baht on 14th. Got a call this week on 19th to come in for document check and that I'll get the the new baby Ford next week. I figure that to be, oh, 2 weeks! Hmmm, could it be that putting more than half the price down accelerated the arrival? My friends think so. 555.

Could be. I put 500,000 down and it arrived in three weeks. Quicker for serious buyers, perhaps?

Looks are all a matter of opinion. I was stuck between the Sylphy (not Almera) and the Focus, but I prefer to be in a robust vehicle in the event of an accident and not something that will fold up on impact, hence I chose the Focus as it has an NCAP 5-Star rating.

Oh, and it looks better IMO.

So if a VIP Bus hits you up the Arse the NCAP will make a difference over a Nissan. Both nice but a rating makes a marginal difference, look round a wreckers yard for proof..Ever seen the Video of a Renault 5 hitting a Volvo Estate . Renault 1. Volve 0.1zgarz5.gif

I think the Focus looks really sharp, sporty and thoughtfully composed, the Sylphy (my chief option too) doesn't look whole, stylistically speaking. The back and the front should not look like they come from different models. I like that narrow lengthy metal strip that unites the Focus's doors and windows together, from rear quarter window to windshield. The Focus interior looks textured and rich. The Sylphy falls far short of that description, to the point of, well, being Chevrolet-ish.

Re safety aspects. The Sylphy felt a bit thin and bony, the Focus stout.

Then there's the model name, Sylphy. I do know two girls who have bought one.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

So if a VIP Bus hits you up the Arse the NCAP will make a difference over a Nissan. Both nice but a rating makes a marginal difference, look round a wreckers yard for proof..Ever seen the Video of a Renault 5 hitting a Volvo Estate . Renault 1. Volve 0.1zgarz5.gif

Whatever car you are in, big or small, just need to keep your wits about you. Never had a problem here in nearly 300K kms of driving.Personally, I prefer more powerful smaller sedans over larger cumbersome trucks. Certainly, thinking about getting written off in an accident is the last consideration for me in buying a new car.
  • Like 1