The Blahs....

Pudgimelon

Any of you suffering from "Thailand burnout syndrome"?

I think I'm starting to come down with the symptoms. I haven't been back to the States in almost 3 years, and while I'm not exactly homesick, I definitely think that I need to get back for a holiday to visit family and refresh my cultural batteries.

From what I hear, many people go through periods of duldrums when living overseas. I guess there's a point where everything stops being exciting or new or even highly annoying, and instead you just realize you're doing pretty much the same things you did back home, only with a change of scenery.

It'll be a while before I'm free to travel, though, so anyone have some tips for beating the "blahs"?

Edited by Wolfie

I guess there's a point where everything stops being exciting or new or even highly annoying, and instead you just realize you're doing pretty much the same things you did back home, only with a change of scenery.

This certainly can happen when working in Bangkok. All I can suggest is dig into the culture a lot deeper than you have in the past. It can make living here much more rewarding. Read some history books... read about Buddhism.

At one point I had not been back to the states in four years. When I did go back it really energised me. So when I went back to work I was happy and rested. I now make it back once a year, I love it in Thailand but sometimes you just have to go back to where it all started.

Go out and spend some cash that you can't afford on yourself in whatever way that pleases you - shopping, clubbing etc. Take a week off your work sick, if neccesary, and head for Koh Samet or Khao yai national park. Get from it all.

Take up a hobby - go to Thai classes etc.

Remember what they say here - everything shall pass, nothing is permanent.

I just had a trip 'home' which I couldn't afford with the expense and the time off work - but it sure fixed those things that you were speaking about.

I got a similar experience at about 4 years away from my home - then every two years or so.

Find some mates who are new to Thailand who are still on the 'pink cloud' - their enthusiasm will spread to you.

If it was not for my family I would NEVER go back to the UK.

As a Parent and Son I want to go back to see them , but thats it. Nothing else, there is just nothing else I miss, and when I get back here I am HOME

Going back does nothing for me whatsover..

erm... I think I have made myself clear!!!

Mostly I agree with you, but I DO miss the amazing food from all over the world that is found in San Francisco and the Bay Area (also good CD shops).

I crave a good West Coast super-burrito made by real Mexican Americans SO bad and have for years! :o

Mostly I agree with you, but I DO miss the amazing food from all over the world that is found in San Francisco and the Bay Area (also good CD shops).

I crave a good West Coast super-burrito made by real Mexican Americans SO bad and have for years! :o

Yes of course I agree with you about the food, and you can't get a decent pint of beer here, :D

But its such a small price to pay.... and to be frank you can get almost anything you want to eat here if you are prepared to look hard enough and pay high enough :D OR teach yourself to cook what you like. I thought that pappadoms where alien to LOS... but I found 'em :D

I always pig out when I do go back though :D

Mostly I agree with you, but I DO miss good CD shops.

CD shops? Who needs that? I cant remember the last time I actually bought a CD and I still live in the U.S. Just acquire a high-speed internet connection and download your songs. Easy! :D

someone is dating themselves.... :o

stuck in the 80's/90's? :D

at least consider the MP3 shops here and get your 14 CD's on 1.... :D

Any of you suffering from "Thailand burnout syndrome"?

I think I'm starting to come down with the symptoms. I haven't been back to the States in almost 3 years, and while I'm not exactly homesick, I definitely think that I need to get back for a holiday to visit family and refresh my cultural batteries.

From what I hear, many people go through periods of duldrums when living overseas. I guess there's a point where everything stops being exciting or new or even highly annoying, and instead you just realize you're doing pretty much the same things you did back home, only with a change of scenery.

It'll be a while before I'm free to travel, though, so anyone have some tips for beating the "blahs"?

Yeah, I'm in the same state. I just joined a gym, and that helps. Next, I'm going to stop spending so much time online.

Definitely physical fitness is a big factor. If you are not in a gym, join one. If you have access to a swimming pool, start doing some serious swimming.

Have a look at your diet. Are you eating enough fresh fruit and vegetables? Not too much fried food, fast food, etc?

Are you having two AFDs a week? (Alcohol free days).

Are you doing any kind of study, or personal development? Maybe start some kind of distance learning.

Are you giving enough time to the important relationships in your life, whether local, or back in your home country?

Do you have regular medical check-ups?

Have you thought about your spiritual needs, and are they being met?

Far be it from me to give advice to anyone. I certainly wouldn't lead by example but it seems to me the best way to think about a problem like this is to think in the long-run, even the very long run. Where do you see yourself in 5 years, in the year 2011? Or where do you see yourself in the year 2016, in 10 years time? Frankly thinking about this scares the p!ss out of me but it has very useful purposes. Thinking this way can put current issues and problems into perspective. Are they petty or actually important? If you have any plans are you working towards achieving them? If you don't have any plans, should you get on with making some? Up to you of course. As I said, you're probably better off not listening to me for advice but people I know and am related to seem to think like this and they seem to live with more direction than I do. Also, count your blessings! What are you taking for granted. Make the most of what opportunities you have now that you may not be able to again. Good luck!

TP echoed my sentiments. If it weren't for family I'd never go back. Of course, I've been averaging trips back twice per year, so I haven't been in Thailand for a solid length of years. I can't imagine having the doldrums just yet, though.

Too much to do here, and if I did get the doldrums I'd rather travel to destinations in this region of the world; Nepal, India, China, Down Under, New Zealand, Maldives, or even Africa. After traveling to just about every state in the Union it's time to visit elsewhere.

Pudgimelon, don't feel like you're the only one. "Culture shock" is well documented and if you do a Google search you will keep yourself busy for hours reading about yourself. I've been living abroad for so many years I suffer from culture shock when I go back to the States.

Mostly I agree with you, but I DO miss good CD shops.

CD shops? Who needs that? I cant remember the last time I actually bought a CD and I still live in the U.S. Just acquire a high-speed internet connection and download your songs. Easy! :D

someone is dating themselves.... :o

stuck in the 80's/90's? :D

at least consider the MP3 shops here and get your 14 CD's on 1.... :D

If getting the best sound quality is important to you, then you still need the cds.

cv

I get these 'blues' every now and then. At first I suppose it was homesickness. I missed seeing neices and nephews growing up, missed meals that bloated me, being able to walk long distances with ease etc, etc.

Now, I no longer really miss things too much, but would still love to go back home after an abscence of over 15. If not only to see how my town has changed and to walk around my childhood haunts and stir up old memories, but most of all............to be able to return to Thailand and re-appreciate what she has to offer.

You need to get out (of Thailand) more. :o

When I first came to Thailand, I was initially quite homesick- for Japan, where I had lived for some time before. A lot of this had to do with not having the support system built up, not knowing my way around this country, and having to deal with all the new challenges of working in a Thai school. My first order of business was to build up a network of friends, and that helped a lot.

I think the basic advice to get out of BKK if you've been here too much, or maybe to *go* to BKK if you live outside, is the best. A change of scene from whatever scene you're used to.

"Steven"