Thai Govt Slashes BMA Subsidy By Up To Bt20bn

webfact

Which is exactly what I said. My only contention was to reply to H90's point that it was not the central governments decision to reduce/increase budgets like the BMA. I think the fact he has not responded signals he/her was talking rubbish.

Just out of interest, why is the amount being given to the BMA a 'pretty standard share' in your opinion?

Based on the documents and information I have on hand, it would seem that the national government has regularly provided the majority of the BMA's budget, at least in the post-Thaksin era. I cannot find anything in my files older than FY2007 (which would have been approved under Thaksin's last administration). According to the info I have for FY2007, the national government contributed 69% of the BMA's budget. If you stop to think for a minute, the BMA also needs a budget at least this large to carry out its duties.

Other posters have suggested that the BMA just raise its own revenue, which it legally can in some areas (say a petrol tax) but in other areas, cannot (such as a property tax). I would personally like to see the BMA be more proactive in this regard, but again, it boils down to politics and it is clear that this administration wants to restrain the BMA as much as they can until the next gubernatorial election in 2013.

Just out of interest, if you were the government, how would you try to sell this move as apolitical, not punitive, and not anti-city-dweller?

Perhaps the best question in this thread! Let's watch how this plays out, it will certainly be interesting.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is exactly what I said. My only contention was to reply to H90's point that it was not the central governments decision to reduce/increase budgets like the BMA. I think the fact he has not responded signals he/her was talking rubbish.

Just out of interest, why is the amount being given to the BMA a 'pretty standard share' in your opinion?

Based on the documents and information I have on hand, it would seem that the national government has regularly provided the majority of the BMA's budget, at least in the post-Thaksin era. I cannot find anything in my files older than FY2007 (which would have been approved under Thaksin's last administration). According to the info I have for FY2007, the national government contributed 69% of the BMA's budget. If you stop to think for a minute, the BMA also needs a budget at least this large to carry out its duties.

Other posters have suggested that the BMA just raise its own revenue, which it legally can in some areas (say a petrol tax) but in other areas, cannot (such as a property tax). I would personally like to see the BMA be more proactive in this regard, but again, it boils down to politics and it is clear that this administration wants to restrain the BMA as much as they can until the next gubernatorial election in 2013.

Just out of interest, if you were the government, how would you try to sell this move as apolitical, not punitive, and not anti-city-dweller?

Perhaps the best question in this thread! Let's watch how this plays out, it will certainly be interesting.

All provinces are allocated most of their budget from the central government. Why would some people think that it is any different for the BMA which naturally would receive the largest allocation?

Reassonableman does indeed ask the most reasonable query on the thread.

It really appears that there is no credible way that PT can sell this as being anything but a blatant politically based move? It is not like others provinces allocations are being cut in a similar manner, nor are there significant budgetary cuts being applied to other departments. They might argue that funds are going towards flood prevention measures for Bangkok and surrounds but that won't wash.

This sort of cut will most likely result in a backlash against the PT candidate for Gov elections later this year. The BMA runs a lot of key small programs in districts which have a big impact on peoples lives; food feeding programs, elederly support, education support etc. I can only see it solidifying the Dem vote for the Gov election. However, maybe the PT has some magic trick up its sleeve that will appear before the election?

The Dems have won the last 3 elections (04, 08 & a few months later in 09) since Samak was Gov. They won the majority of Bangkok seats at last Julys national election the Dems won 23 of the 33 BKK seats with the PT retaining their majority in the east and around Bang Khen etc. (Since then of course we had the BKK bordering Pathum Thani seat lost to the Dems but that is outside BKK and most likely a post flood backlash)

In the previous Bangkok province District elections in late Aug 2010 where 36 districts held elections, the Dems swept them winning in places they normally don't. They won 45 of the 61 City Council seats. Won all seats in 27 districts and controlled 3 others for a total of around 220 of the 256 seats up for grabs. PT won 5 districts. This was of course only a few months after the events of May 2010 and one should point out that turnout was low at 42%.

This gives the Dems a much greater organisational power in most districts in Bangkok for the next Gov election. (It should be mentioned that the current Gov had had a lot of friction and tension with Abhisit and senior Dems esp. when they were in government).

The previous Gov Apirak is of course much more popular than the current Gov (who replaced him when he stepped down in Nov 08) but the case against him regarding signing off on the first payment of Samak's infamous expensive fire truck purchase is still pending. The interesting issue will be if Gov Sukhumbhand gets to run again or will it be another Dem? I suspect the latter but I don't really know.

Of course other interesting aspects will be if Khun Leena decides to run again and drown one of her staff in Klong San Saeb and which TV star will run this time - do Khun Sam or ML Natt want to give it another go? Also, if Chuwit (though he won't be running) slaps an interviewer on air as he waxes lyrical on the virtues of his parties candidate. We can't really have a BKK Gov election without the bathtub tycoons election posters....;)

All provinces are allocated most of their budget from the central government. Why would some people think that it is any different for the BMA which naturally would receive the largest allocation?

Reassonableman does indeed ask the most reasonable query on the thread.

It really appears that there is no credible way that PT can sell this as being anything but a blatant politically based move? It is not like others provinces allocations are being cut in a similar manner, nor are there significant budgetary cuts being applied to other departments. They might argue that funds are going towards flood prevention measures for Bangkok and surrounds but that won't wash.

This sort of cut will most likely result in a backlash against the PT candidate for Gov elections later this year. The BMA runs a lot of key small programs in districts which have a big impact on peoples lives; food feeding programs, elederly support, education support etc. I can only see it solidifying the Dem vote for the Gov election. However, maybe the PT has some magic trick up its sleeve that will appear before the election?

The Dems have won the last 3 elections (04, 08 & a few months later in 09) since Samak was Gov. They won the majority of Bangkok seats at last Julys national election the Dems won 23 of the 33 BKK seats with the PT retaining their majority in the east and around Bang Khen etc. (Since then of course we had the BKK bordering Pathum Thani seat lost to the Dems but that is outside BKK and most likely a post flood backlash)

In the previous Bangkok province District elections in late Aug 2010 where 36 districts held elections, the Dems swept them winning in places they normally don't. They won 45 of the 61 City Council seats. Won all seats in 27 districts and controlled 3 others for a total of around 220 of the 256 seats up for grabs. PT won 5 districts. This was of course only a few months after the events of May 2010 and one should point out that turnout was low at 42%.

This gives the Dems a much greater organisational power in most districts in Bangkok for the next Gov election. (It should be mentioned that the current Gov had had a lot of friction and tension with Abhisit and senior Dems esp. when they were in government).

The previous Gov Apirak is of course much more popular than the current Gov (who replaced him when he stepped down in Nov 08) but the case against him regarding signing off on the first payment of Samak's infamous expensive fire truck purchase is still pending. The interesting issue will be if Gov Sukhumbhand gets to run again or will it be another Dem? I suspect the latter but I don't really know.

Of course other interesting aspects will be if Khun Leena decides to run again and drown one of her staff in Klong San Saeb and which TV star will run this time - do Khun Sam or ML Natt want to give it another go? Also, if Chuwit (though he won't be running) slaps an interviewer on air as he waxes lyrical on the virtues of his parties candidate. We can't really have a BKK Gov election without the bathtub tycoons election posters....wink.png

Great post - very good summary.