A Real Virgin In Chiang Mai

PETDCAT

Hi Pedtcat,

May I ask you a question?

I have been around the block a few times with regard to cooking and apart from making a Caesar Salad or a really good steak...

What is so special about Virgin Olive Oil?

Gladiator?

No slight intended.... just curious?

Hi Pedtcat,

May I ask you a question?

I have been around the block a few times with regard to cooking and apart from making a Caesar Salad or a really good steak...

What is so special about Virgin Olive Oil?

Gladiator?

No slight intended.... just curious?

I am very surprised that you don't find extra virgin olive oil over/in any salad, or over anything on which some oil (often with lemon) makes for a better dish is vastly better than any other oil. In fact I find ready made salads or tinned food which is in sunflower oil inedible and therefore always to be avoided if possible.

As for cooking in it, that's a different matter. There are some things where olive oil works better (for me) and others where it doesn't.

Not sure where "your" olive oil is coming from but even now in England the extra vigin oil coming from Italy or Spain is selling at around 90bt a litre in supermarkets, the well known brands maybe double this price......but still a dam_n sight cheaper than here, so why the fuss?

but agree the extra virgin is the best quality, great for cooking, doesnt burn and makes food taste better

You guys had me all excited there for a minute with a real virgin in Thailand let alone here in CM !

Anyway I did actually buy a virgin last week named Bertolli, a pint sized unit, cost me all of 360Bht so I thought I did ok.

I just love the extra light virgin....mmmm !

You guys had me all excited there for a minute with a real virgin in Thailand let alone here in CM !

Anyway I did actually buy a virgin last week named Bertolli, a pint sized unit, cost me all of 360Bht so I thought I did ok.

I just love the extra light virgin....mmmm !

Blimey what a rip-off try Tesco Lotus brand

Not sure where "your" olive oil is coming from but even now in England the extra vigin oil coming from Italy or Spain is selling at around 90bt a litre in supermarkets, the well known brands maybe double this price......but still a dam_n sight cheaper than here, so why the fuss?

Some of us are not going to England, Italy or Spain and would not want to carry olive oil back anyway. It is pretty heavy and the bottles might break.

• Like 1

I read that too, seems they dilute the virgin cold press with later solvent derived product. I don't know how to make sure it is pure. If you cook with olive oil, use the lowest heat possible, it does smoke and change, it loses flavor at high heat so a waste of money if you can't taste it. It is great for a topping on hummus, pasta, beans etc. also a bread dip.

OP in need of some love and affection?? lol.

But while we're on it ... Macro (I'm an infrequent visitor) has some super deals sometimes. The other week I picked up a kilo of parmasan for 300b; more than I'd normally use in yonks, but hey, thats bloody cheap. Anyone (Dave1-2-3-4??) wanna volunteer to post the weekly specials??

The Best and the rest..

.fyi..recent "expert tasting"

The results of a taste test carried out by the British based product-testing magazine ‘Which?’ suggested that consumers may not necessarily need to reach for the most expensive bottle when searching for high quality olive oil.

A panel of three olive oil experts sampled 12 different extra virgin oils from big name brands such as Filippo Berio as well as less known oils from leading British High Street supermarkets.

AND

napolina.jpgThe Italian oil producer ‘Napolina’ ranked highest on the judges’ final results and proved to be more popular than leading brands Bertolli and Filippo Berio.

Napolina’s victory was surprising, the magazine said, because they won with their ‘Standard Variety’ which was awarded 67%, trumping the brand’s ‘Special Selection’ which judges considered to be an inferior oil despite carrying a price tag at least 2 pounds higher.

Which? said: “The label on the Napolina Special Selection oil, which costs £5.69 for a 500ml bottle, says it is made from the highest quality olives,but our experts preferred Napolina’s standard extra virgin olive oil, which cost £3.79 for 500ml.

Not only did the cheaper Napolina oil beat its big brother, it came top of our test overall…”

While Napolina came out on top, oils from big ‘quality’ High Street brands like Tescos, Waitrose and Marks & Spencer failed to impress the judges.

The panel was not impressed with the olive oils from Tesco and Marks & Spencer.

Tesco’s oil was too bitter, with one expert identifying flavors that were “dusty” and ‘like a mouldy piece of bread’.”

Aldi had one of the cheapest oils on the list at £2.25 per 750ml but despite its low price, the panel judged it to be one of the highest quality.

According to the Mail newspaper, consumption of olive oil in the U.K. has increased steadily over the past 20 years. and recent reports show that half of homes now use it, compared with 35 percent in 2001.

Brits consume 28 million liters a year and annual sales are at record levels of around £150 million a year.

So finally..

The Top 12 Olive Oil Rankings.......were

1. Napolina (Standard) £3.79 67%

2. Aldi Evoo £2.25* 60%

3. Bertolli Originale £3.69 58%

4. Morrisons £1.84 56%

5. C0-operative £2.29 56%

6. Asda £1.84 52%

7. Filippo Berio £2.98 51%

8. Lidl Primadonna £2.25* 48%

9. Waitrose £2.48 45%

10. Sainsbury’s £1.99 45%

11. Marks & Spencer £2.79 41%

12. Tesco £1.84 38%

per...500 ml..............so get down and get ...oily.....

That is one (of the many) things I miss about living in Spain. Once a month or so I used to go down to the place in my village where they pressed the olives and picked up a 5 litre jug of virgin olive oil for like 2 Euros. Even if you didn't have any olive trees on your property to contribute (they came and picked them), it was still only like 5 Euros for 5 litres from the local farmers.

Edited by elektrified