Moving To Thailand - Advice On Renting A Condo

I've been planning to move to Thailand for some time. I've read a lot in this forum and it was very helpful.

Now that I'm close to move I need some advice.

I'm gonna spend a week in a hotel and take this time to look for a condo to rent. What's the best way to search for a place? Contact a real state agent? Go directly to the condos and ask if they have units for rent? Is it easy to find a condo to rent for a year in Pattaya/Jomtien? My budget for rent is around 10K/month. Is a week time enough to find a condo?

I'm gonna need a high speed internet connection. Is it easy to arrange? Can I just tell the landlord what internet package I want and they take care of everything and send me the bill?

Sorry about the english, it's not my 1st language, I'm from Brazil.

Thank you,

Diego Molina

Classifieds, in the local papers, notice boards at supermarkets, walk in condo receptions and ask and also look at agents. 10k will get you a reasonable place in Jomtien. Normal is one month and one month in advance. Some posters will say stay away from agents as they are more expensive, that just isnt true, commissions are paid by the owner. If you go it alone you have no comeback when anything needs doing and it is unlikely you will get all your deposit, if any back, whereas through an agent you will not have these problems. Electric should be around 4 baht a unit and water 20 Baht, make sure you ask first.

Some posters will say stay away from agents as they are more expensive, that just isnt true, commissions are paid by the owner.

Paid by the owner out of the money received from the tenant. And so the owners will normally just add the amount of the commission to the rental asking price, or, if you prefer, will be more prepared to drop the asking price for a direct let by an amount at least equal to the commission they would have paid an agent.

The same applies to buying a new condo. Buy through an agent and he will pocket perhaps 8%. Deal directly with the developer and you know that they have at least that 8% to play with in negotiations, on top of whatever other percentage may be negotiable.

If you go it alone you have no comeback when anything needs doing and it is unlikely you will get all your deposit, if any back, whereas through an agent you will not have these problems.

You may not have these problems.

There are certainly two sides to the "should I use an agent" question.

I know at least one guy who has been resident in Thailand for many years who will never, ever pay more than 1 month in advance on the grounds that he then has the flexibility to dump his rental if things go wrong.

Probably quite wise, but at the same time the more you pay up-front the more likely you are to be able to negotiate a lower price.

Classifieds, in the local papers, notice boards at supermarkets, walk in condo receptions and ask and also look at agents. 10k will get you a reasonable place in Jomtien. Normal is one month and one month in advance. Some posters will say stay away from agents as they are more expensive, that just isnt true, commissions are paid by the owner. If you go it alone you have no comeback when anything needs doing and it is unlikely you will get all your deposit, if any back, whereas through an agent you will not have these problems. Electric should be around 4 baht a unit and water 20 Baht, make sure you ask first.

Agree.

Those renting directly (to avoid 1 month rent agent fee) and advertise with handwriten cardboard signs won't give any contract or may conjure up something in Thai.

If they were keen to avoid 1 month fee to an agent, how eager they may be when deposit return time comes?

Agree.

Those renting directly (to avoid 1 month rent agent fee) and advertise with handwriten cardboard signs won't give any contract or may conjure up something in Thai.

If they were keen to avoid 1 month fee to an agent, how eager they may be when deposit return time comes?

OR maintain the property at a decent standard !!