Dishonest Bangkok Cop Sees Sentence Reduced From 1,765 Years To 50

webfact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why didn't they just sentence him to eternal damnation?

How can a court sentence you to incarceration beyond the legal maximum? Does someone get out of bed in the morning and genuinely sentence someone to 1700 years in jail?????

The Thais are a Buddhist country and reincarnation is the philosophy there. 1700 years is equal to about 20 or so lives. Since the judge realized after the fact, that the cop may be reborn in another country, he reduced it back to the span of one human life in case he's judge again in his next life, and his fellow prosecuters chastize him for letting a criminal escape. Therefore, it's a simple strategy enforced in order not to lose face. biggrin.png

Guess they were making an example of him to deter all the other police who may be tempted to take some tea money. Nice to see they got this one bad apple out the the barrel before he corrupted another member.

Nope they got 1 cop who wasnt passing it on to his superior, and thats all, then in a display by the courts, to show the masses, how they deal with these "one off" corrupt Policemen who do this.

Yep incredible Thailand, cripes if they just locked up all the Police it would be easier!!

Why didn't they just sentence him to eternal damnation?

How can a court sentence you to incarceration beyond the legal maximum? Does someone get out of bed in the morning and genuinely sentence someone to 1700 years in jail?????

The Thais are a Buddhist country and reincarnation is the philosophy there. 1700 years is equal to about 20 or so lives. Since the judge realized after the fact, that the cop may be reborn in another country, he reduced it back to the span of one human life in case he's judge again in his next life, and his fellow prosecuters chastize him for letting a criminal escape. Therefore, it's a simple strategy enforced in order not to lose face. biggrin.png

But surely he must have come into his current life as a lesser person than his last one if he came back as " a corrupt cop" What was he before?

50 years for stealing half a million baht?

Still it's good to know that what he did is actually illegal in Thailand after all.

I wonder if there are any more like him out there............?

Cynic!!!

Drop in the ocean compared to the guy that got 2234 a couple of years back in the Royal decoration fraud thing.

When is he due out?

4246 in the western calendar, unless he gets remission for good behaviour of course,( probably hard to be a nuisance when your dead).

Another fairy tale from the land of fantasy. Amazing Thailand.

50 years for embezzling a paltry half million baht or so. I wonder if the Artful Dodger in Dubai will get anything like this?

One law for some, no law for others.bah.gif

same all over the world unfortunately

It does seem silly to punish one person so harshly for doing what pretty much every Thai person in a position of authority is guilty of, he was just better at it.

I would rather see 1764 people sentenced to one year.

"he claimed he didn't realise the consequences of his actions...."

A cop that does not know the law..... Or did he mean the consequences of not sharing the loot with his superiors.

Plus he says he's already repaid the money. So he must have done really well in the other years he wasn't charged with.

Guess they were making an example of him to deter all the other police who may be tempted to take some tea money. Nice to see they got this one bad apple out the the barrel before he corrupted another member.

One? I'm sure the barrel is now totally cleansed. laugh.png

Sure the guy feels relieved!

If one believes in reincarnation, as many (most?) natives do, one could see how it would be a huge relief.

That means many of the MP´s should spend a couple of billion years in jail.cheesy.gif

I hope you mean the British MPs.

British MP's? Care to explain?

UK MPs are the same as benefit cheats where taxpayers are concerned. If you are from the UK you will know what I mean.
  • Like 1

<Scratching head> It’s the excuses / reasons for doing it that bother me.

1) He claimed that he didn’t realize the consequences of his action,

So he’s one of the cops who bought his exam result or was part of that radio signaling ring… Okay. I can understand that, seems reasonable.

2) that he had no financial expertise,

So he was giving out 300 Baht fines but, when paid with a 500 or 1000 Baht note couldn’t make change. So, rather than causing discomfort, he just kept the extra? Okay, given the what the low end of the Thai education system produces, I can see this as being possible.

3) that he had to take care of his ailing mother

This one puzzles me. 500,000 Baht is not a lot of health care, unless it’s under the 30 Baht medical scheme of course. If so, that’s an awful lot of doctors visits. But hey, it may be possible, so I’ll give the benefit of the doubt, it’s plausible.

4) and that he had already returned the embezzled money to the state.

That must have been tricky. How did he do it? Walk up to the department accountant, hand over a fistful of bank notes and say “Hey, you know that little accounting problem? I found this, it had fallen down the back of my filing cabinet!”… It’s pushing the bounds but, with a generous dose of Lao Kao and the distraction of some sweet young thing, I could agree that this may just be both plausible and possible.

However. I know he’s really lying about the REAL reason for scamming all that cash. And that reason must be – please refute me if I’m wrong gentlemen – it MUST be because of his sick buffalo!

As any long term resident of this country and habitué its go-go bars should know, the major reason for ladies (and thus I suppose men as well) working in them, is because their family has a sick buffalo. This poor police officer is obviously denied the money gathering abilities of his slimmer, younger, female citizens and has resorted to the only other way he knows of getting money to heal the family buffalo.

We should not be jailing him, we should be praising him for his caring nature. We should be rewarding him for his efforts in coming up with the cash to cure his sick buffalo. A buffalo who’s predicament has been so skillfully kept from the prying eyes of yellow journalism. I applaud the man.

No… Really… Honestly.

Edited by Narratio

I have noticed several times whenever a cop robs another cop or the state they really throw the book at them its fine to steal from the public but never rob your own and since when did traffic fines get paid to the state ? guess they could not say hw was supposed to share the money.

That means many of the MP´s should spend a couple of billion years in jail.cheesy.gif

I hope you mean the British MPs.

British MP's? Care to explain?

UK MPs are the same as benefit cheats where taxpayers are concerned. If you are from the UK you will know what I mean.

Oh I see, yea I get what you mean. Didn't see the link beforehand!