Working For Us Company Remotely In Thailand, Work Permit?

I would suggest that anybody that is interested in the matter and wants to know more about to visit the website of Department of Labour on:

http://wp.doe.go.th/en/downloadform

All the docs you might need can be downloaded from there, and you will find all the explanation you need.

I cannot find anything on their site that confuses me, so I fail to understand the confusion in this topic.

There is no confusion. According to the law you need a WP for online work for companies outside Thailand. In practice you are free to do this work and no-one cares.

Has a single person actually been prosecuted for this? I doubt it.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a huge difference between something that may be technically illegal and the actual enforcement. Many laws are outdated and irrelevant. Just because those laws exist doesn't mean that you will be prosecuted for breaking them. Too many paranoid people on here.

Its only your opinion that the laws are outdated and irrelvant, the position from immigration and DOL may feel they are prefectly in date and relevant, the only test as to whether something is out dated or irrelvant is in front of a court and what the judge feels is irrelvant or out of date.

If your feeling civilly minded then provide the test case and prove they are out of date and irrelvant then

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

After going back through similar posts spanning for over a decade, it's discerning that nothing seems to have changed on this matter. As someone that is considering a similar situation as the original poster, I was hoping the laws would have caught up with the times.

I think most of the people asking about telecomutting would have hoped that there would be some straightforward legal route for some kind of sole proprietary ownership work permit, even more so if it was under some kind of spousal requirement. I don't have a problem paying Thai taxes, and from a strictly ethical standpoint, if you are making use of the services in the country you are residing (roads, stores, transportation, most of which has some kind of government subsidy), then it makes sense that you should contribute back to that country.

As for my case, I have a PhD in a highly specialized field. It would be difficult for me to find a job in Thailand that I wouldn't be overqualified for. There are companies I could work for that have branches in Bangkok (actually don't do my work there, but have foreign offices), but I've been trying to keep the road open for companies that do not as that leaves me with more options. Like other posters, I don't do business with thai companies, sell to thai people, or have anything that deals with the thai economy. My spouse would like to move back as it gives her an opportunity to take care of her aging parents. As of right now, telecommuting provides the best work/life balance for me to accomplish this.

As for whether it is legal or not and the people that abuse it--- society often disregards laws because they believe they are unjust (we went through this in the US in the early 20th century with alchohol prohibition). Heck, we still have laws in some states over here that say it is illegal to have sex with your wife in anything but the missionary position, but you don't see 1/2 the population locked up.

I do hope that some thai officials are reading this thread like many seem to have indicated, as there seem to be many individuals that are in a similar situation as myself that would like a straightforward and tractable way to get a work permit for telecommuters. I understand why laws are written as hard as they are, as many find ways to get around with loopholes when they are not; but I think there are many people here that would have no problem trading their foreign taxes for Thai taxes if it increased their stability and security to reside in Thailand.

Edited by NuttyIrishman

As for whether it is legal or not and the people that abuse it--- society often disregards laws because they believe they are unjust (we went through this in the US in the early 20th century with alchohol prohibition). Heck, we still have laws in some states over here that say it is illegal to have sex with your wife in anything but the missionary position, but you don't see 1/2 the population locked up.

I do hope that some thai officials are reading this thread like many seem to have indicated, as there seem to be many individuals that are in a similar situation as myself that would like a straightforward and tractable way to get a work permit for telecommuters. I understand why laws are written as hard as they are, as many find ways to get around with loopholes when they are not; but I think there are many people here that would have no problem trading their foreign taxes for Thai taxes if it increased their stability and security to reside in Thailand.

But the key difference between the example you cite and the laws under discussion, in the case you cite, the people are citizens of the country involved. If Thai nationals felt the laws in question were outdated/irrelvant and demanded change, then this is all well and good, but the people calling things unfair/outdated etc have no legal status per se in Thailand in this regard, so you example is irrelvant

The laws as written are not written "hard" they are quite liberal and easy in comparision to other places I have worked. e.g. I worked in the states and it took nearly 8 months, with lawyers etc involved and significant cost by my company to be come fully legal.

If I turned up in the states and tried to live their as a perpetual tourist, and financed my living in the US by running an on-line business and not paying tax there etc etc...pretty sure the US immigration services would object to this and in all likelyhood be kicked out the country because I want compling with the T&C of my visa....Thailand no different, the only difference here is immigration is very slack in enforcing things

Other countries I have worked, taken on average 3 months to get sorted out, in Thailand can be in the same position in 7-10 days.

In conclusion, the people who are bleating on about immigration rules, WP and their "rights" have obviously never travelled that much and have no idea how things are in other countries in circumstances such as this. I get the distinct impression from a lot of posters on this subject is that they are entitled to something and must be accomadated or the laws dont apply to them...is this because they are westerners and the natives must comply with their wishes ?...just a thought

Edited by Soutpeel

But the key difference between the example you cite and the laws under discussion, in the case you cite, the people are citizens of the country involved. If Thai nationals felt the laws in question were outdated/irrelvant and demanded change, then this is all well and good, but the people calling things unfair/outdated etc have no legal status per se in Thailand in this regard, so you example is irrelvant

A fair argument, as the US is also strugling with issues how to deal with rights of immigrants/those wishing to come to the US.

The laws as written are not written "hard" they are quite liberal and easy in comparision to other places I have worked. e.g. I worked in the states and it took nearly 8 months, with lawyers etc involved and significant cost by my company to be come fully legal.

The US laws are generally written to avoid ambiguitiy. Laws written vaguely end up being challenged on their interpretation, and usually get changed (e.g. court prescident, appealed). The visa system in the US is notoriously difficult to deal with for those who have no relationship to us citizens.

If I turned up in the states and tried to live their as a perpetual tourist, and financed my living in the US by running an on-line business and not paying tax there etc etc...pretty sure the US immigration services would object to this and in all likelyhood be kicked out the country because I want compling with the T&C of my visa....Thailand no different, the only difference here is immigration is very slack in enforcing things

This is where myself and a lot of people in this thread differ. We're not interesting in becoming a pepetual citizen, we're interested in living a comfortable life with our spouses. In the US, the rules and application process for a spouse to obtain a permanent resident and green card are well defined. Spouses of a US citizen are usually, after processing the paperwork [time*money], given a permanent resident status and resulting green card allowing them to work in the US. I assume that things are similar in other parts of Europe as well.

Comparatively, thai spousal arrangements are nowhere near as straightforward (except if you are a female foreign national marrying a male thai citizen). I know this stems from social issues/aspects and I won't duldge into that. Most of the people in this thread are discussing options of how to keep their current employment and being able to live with their spouse in Thailand.

Like I said, a lot of us would have no problem paying tax taxes (most countries have agreements to prevent double taxation). A more reasonable work permit that didn't involve forming companies (amity or not) for spouses with foreign income derived from non thai sources would got a long ways to filling the gap.

I get the distinct impression from a lot of posters on this subject is that they are entitled to something and must be accomadated or the laws dont apply to them

I fail to see how wanting to live with your wife/family could be interpreted as an "entitlement".

Edited by NuttyIrishman

"This is where myself and a lot of people in this thread differ. We're not interesting in becoming a pepetual citizen, we're interested in living a comfortable life with our spouses. In the US, the rules and application process for a spouse to obtain a permanent resident and green card are well defined. Spouses of a US citizen are usually, after processing the paperwork [time*money], given a permanent resident status and resulting green card allowing them to work in the US. I assume that things are similar in other parts of Europe as well"

We are going off topic here as we are bringing up some other laws around immigration and the dicussion refers to working on-line in Thailand and not all people doing this are married, but to answer your point

Which takes us back to my first point, then any change in the current laws in Thailand should be petioned by the Thai spouses, who are actually the citizens, considering the number of TV members who claim to be married to Thai/Chinese Hi-So's whose familes have "big contacts" in the goverment/immigration etc, getting this issue on the table and resolved should be easy then.

If you were married to a Thai national in your own country and he or she wasnt a citizen and there were laws on the books which were considered discriminatory who would be petioning for the change in the law ? You or your spouse ?...my guess you... as its your right as a citizen, Thailand is no different in this regard

So let me ask this question....are there any bodies in Thailand made up of Thai citizens petioning for changes in the law which affect their foreign spouses ?

Hey, if you guys didn't click on the aforementioned link, here is Sunbelt's official response.

"While Thai law does require anyone working in Thailand to have a work permit we have been told by the Labor Department that they generally do not require a work permit for those checking emails and doing some work from home remotely. However, if you are selling on Ebay and have boxes of goods in your home this would be looked at in a different light and we have been told that they would expect you to have a company and work permit for this kind of exporting."

Interesting hearing other opinions. It's good information. There's a possibility that I may not be moving to Thailand yet, my wife's contract job just got extended but the baby is due in January. I hate uncertainty. At this point, I think I'd probably get an IT or computer/art teaching job full time with a work permit and maybe do some game work on the side at night.

I think this is the most useful reply to the OP's question.

I do agree that the law should be changed to allow telecommuters to work legally. However, as long as it has not been changed it just means that you have to follow the law, not ignore it because you "feel" that it is outdated and therefore not applies to you.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey, if you guys didn't click on the aforementioned link, here is Sunbelt's official response.

"While Thai law does require anyone working in Thailand to have a work permit we have been told by the Labor Department that they generally do not require a work permit for those checking emails and doing some work from home remotely. However, if you are selling on Ebay and have boxes of goods in your home this would be looked at in a different light and we have been told that they would expect you to have a company and work permit for this kind of exporting."

Interesting hearing other opinions. It's good information. There's a possibility that I may not be moving to Thailand yet, my wife's contract job just got extended but the baby is due in January. I hate uncertainty. At this point, I think I'd probably get an IT or computer/art teaching job full time with a work permit and maybe do some game work on the side at night.

I am assuming that sunbelt do not mean Ausralians as Australians with an APEC card do not require a WP please see the thailand / Australian free trade aggreement 2005 quote:
  • Thailand will grant a visa and work permit for up to five years' stay for all Australian citizens being transferred to work in Thailand within the same company (to be renewable annually) (previously one year).
  • Thailand will grant a visa and work permit for up to three years' stay for all Australian citizens entering Thailand to work on the basis of a contract with an Australian or Thai company other than their employer in Australia (to be renewable annually) (previously one year).
  • Thailand will not require a work permit for Australian citizens who are business visitors conducting business meetings in Thailand for up to 15 days, and up to 90 days for APEC Travel Card Holders.
  • Thailand will consider applications for visas and work permits submitted by an employer on an applicant's behalf and advise in advance of approval and (with visa to be granted on arrival subject to identity verification).
  • Thailand will permit all Australian business visitors access to the one-stop visa and work permit service (previously restricted to visitors representing or employed by major investors).
  • Thailand will permit all Australians who hold work permits to participate in business meetings anywhere in Thailand, including locations not specified in their work permits (previous work permits had to be changed if any work was to be conducted in a location not specified in the permit).
  • Thailand will reduce the number of documents required from Australians for work permits and renewals and work permits

Read again what is says and what Sunbelt wrote: conducting business meetings doesn't require a work permit, all other work does require a work permit. In the example of Sunbelt people are selling from their home and not just conducting business meetings or checking their email.

Read again what is says and what Sunbelt wrote: conducting business meetings doesn't require a work permit, all other work does require a work permit. In the example of Sunbelt people are selling from their home and not just conducting business meetings or checking their email.

Now need definition of what constitutes a Business meeting to me that can mean anything?????? There are a lot of definitions One dictionary defines a meeting as an act or process

A business meeting is a meeting in which you discuss things and/or make a contract between a company abroad and one or more companies in Thailand. You cannot sell between two companies in Thailand itself, than you will also need a work permit.

Basically anything more than having a meeting and making a contract will require a work permit. Your function is not a business meeting and would require a work permit.

A business meeting is a meeting in which you discuss things and/or make a contract between a company abroad and one or more companies in Thailand. You cannot sell between two companies in Thailand itself, than you will also need a work permit.

Basically anything more than having a meeting and making a contract will require a work permit. Your function is not a business meeting and would require a work permit.

Note to make a contract as you say still requires due diligence and company audit a lot more than sitting at a table iam sorry to disagree with you but this needs to be sorted out at goverment level not your or my opion, part of my job is to coduct the due dilligence and audit which is part of a business meeting Edited by Sand Dancer

I am assuming that sunbelt do not mean Ausralians as Australians with an APEC card do not require a WP please see the thailand / Australian free trade aggreement 2005 quote:
  • Thailand will grant a visa and work permit for up to five years' stay for all Australian citizens being transferred to work in Thailand within the same company (to be renewable annually) (previously one year).
  • Thailand will grant a visa and work permit for up to three years' stay for all Australian citizens entering Thailand to work on the basis of a contract with an Australian or Thai company other than their employer in Australia (to be renewable annually) (previously one year).
  • Thailand will not require a work permit for Australian citizens who are business visitors conducting business meetings in Thailand for up to 15 days, and up to 90 days for APEC Travel Card Holders.
  • Thailand will consider applications for visas and work permits submitted by an employer on an applicant's behalf and advise in advance of approval and (with visa to be granted on arrival subject to identity verification).
  • Thailand will permit all Australian business visitors access to the one-stop visa and work permit service (previously restricted to visitors representing or employed by major investors).
  • Thailand will permit all Australians who hold work permits to participate in business meetings anywhere in Thailand, including locations not specified in their work permits (previous work permits had to be changed if any work was to be conducted in a location not specified in the permit).
  • Thailand will reduce the number of documents required from Australians for work permits and renewals and work permits

AN APEC Business Travel Card is not as easy to obtain as it used to be.

You need to be a Director of a company turning over $Au500K/pa and or a direct report to a director authorised to sign contracts upto 5million or something along those lines... I used to have a card, and on expiry was no longer eligible... you pay to apply just like any Australian Visa, not to get the card...

AN APEC Business Travel Card is not as easy to obtain as it used to be.

You need to be a Director of a company turning over $Au500K/pa and or a direct report to a director authorised to sign contracts upto 5million or something along those lines... I used to have a card, and on expiry was no longer eligible... you pay to apply just like any Australian Visa, not to get the card...

That is correct I am direct report to Contract manager no problem a few years ago they were giving the apec cards out easy but now !!!!

Note to make a contract as you say still requires due diligence and company audit a lot more than sitting at a table iam sorry to disagree with you but this needs to be sorted out at goverment level not your or my opion, part of my job is to coduct the due dilligence and audit which is part of a business meeting

I agree with Mario's postion....this is beyond what is intended by Business meeting

Having practical experience in this regard, ie conducting audits/due dilligence on a Thai company, this would be considered working and a WP is applicable, but this is easily resolved via the temporary WP route

Note to make a contract as you say still requires due diligence and company audit a lot more than sitting at a table iam sorry to disagree with you but this needs to be sorted out at goverment level not your or my opion, part of my job is to coduct the due dilligence and audit which is part of a business meeting

I agree with Mario's postion....this is beyond what is intended by Business meeting

Having practical experience in this regard, ie conducting audits/due dilligence on a Thai company, this would be considered working and a WP is applicable, but this is easily resolved via the temporary WP route

Definitions from the free trade agreement note section 10 also can sell but not to the public I have asked my company to sort out with the company lawyers so i will be going the route my company requires will not be taking advice from people on a forum

1. “business visitor” means a natural person of either Party who is:
  2. a service seller;
  3. an investor of a Party, or a representative of an investor, seeking temporary entry to establish an investment; or
  4. seeking temporary entry for the purposes of negotiating the sale of goods where such negotiations do not involve direct sales to the general public;
  5. “contractual service supplier” means a natural person of a Partywho satisfies any requirements under the laws, regulations and policiesof the other Party or satisfies anyrecognition of standards requirementsor criteria agreed by theParties to provide such services in the territory of that Party, and:
  6. is an employee of a service supplier or a juridical person of a Party not having a commercial presence or investment in theother Party, which has concluded a service contract with a juridical person registered and engaged in substantive business operations in the other Party; or
  7. is a national of a Party and employed under an employment contract by a juridical person registered and engaged in substantive business operations in the other Party;
  8. and is seeking temporary entry to provide a service as a manager, executive or specialist;
  9. “executive”meansa natural person within an organisation who primarily directs the management of the organisation, exercises wide latitude in decision making, and receives only general supervision or direction from higher-level executives, the board of directors, or stockholders of the business. An executive would not directly perform tasks related to the actual provision of the service or the operation of an investment;
  10. “immigration formality” means a visa, work permit, or other document or electronic authority granting a natural person of one Party the right to reside or work in the territory of the other Party;
  11. “intra-corporate transferee” means an employee of a service supplier, investor or juridical person of a Party established in the territory of the other Party through a branch or affiliate, and who is a manager, executive or specialist;
  12. manager meansa natural person within an organisation who primarily directs the organisation or a department or sub-division of the organisation, supervises and controls the work of other supervisory, professional or managerial employees, has the authority to hire and fire or take other personnel actions (such as promotion or leave authorisation), and exercises discretionary authority over day-to-day operations. This does not include a first-line supervisor unless the employees supervised are professionals;
  13. “service seller” means a natural person of a Party who is a sales representative of a service supplier of that Party and is seeking temporary entry to the other Party for the purpose of negotiating the sale of services for that service supplier, where such a representative will not be engaged in making direct sales to the general public or in supplying services directly;
  14. specialist meansa natural person within an organisation who possesses knowledge at an advanced level of technical expertise, and who possesses proprietary knowledge of the organisation’s service, research equipment, techniques, or management; or a natural person with high-level technical or professional qualifications and skills and experience

Definitions from the free trade agreement note section 10 also can sell but not to the public I have asked my company to sort out with the company lawyers so i will be going the route my company requires will not be taking advice from people on a forum

If you have asked the company laywers to sort this out and not taking advice or opinion from people on a forum, why are coming back quoting large extracts from a free trade agreement then.

let me ask you this question ?.....do you reside in Thailand or are you flying in to do your due dilligence and then flying out ?

If its a fly in fly out...then as stated simple case...temporary WP for duration as long as not longer than 14 days and can be issued within 24 hours...very easy to get.

Edited by Soutpeel

If you have asked the company laywers to sort this out and not taking advice or opinion from people on a forum, why are coming back quoting large extracts from a free trade agreement then.

let me ask you this question ?.....do you reside in Thailand or are you flying in to do your due dilligence and then flying out ?

If its a fly in fly out...then as stated simple case...temporary WP for duration as long as not longer than 14 days and can be issued within 24 hours...very easy to get.

As for me I will leave all this up to my company to sort ou go APEC card or WP up to them Now you ask a question where do i reside I do not have PR here nor am I a citzen of thailand But I LIVE in thailand with my wife I have a permanent residence in australia but do not do FIFO if i have a job here

All I was trying to do was point out that it is not just a simple case of expend energy need WP as a lot of posters on here think far from it and I think i am correct in saying it is bad to take advice on a public forum

As for me I will leave all this up to my company to sort ou go APEC card or WP up to them Now you ask a question where do i reside I do not have PR here nor am I a citzen of thailand But I LIVE in thailand with my wife I have a permanent residence in australia but do not do FIFO if i have a job here

All I was trying to do was point out that it is not just a simple case of expend energy need WP as a lot of posters on here think far from it and I think i am correct in saying it is bad to take advice on a public forum

You live in Thailand as an Aussie, and the debate is regarding APEC card Vs WP ?....allow me to answer that one conclusively... I know multiple Aussies in Thailand who have APEC cards...so what I am about to say is fact....You need a WP in Thailand.

You live in Thailand as an Aussie, and the debate is regarding APEC card Vs WP ?....allow me to answer that one conclusively... I know multiple Aussies in Thailand who have APEC cards...so what I am about to say is fact....You need a WP in Thailand.

oh!!!!! i i should just take your word for it ?? I live in the real world take with a pich of salt what people say on a public forum its like I have more mates that you have what a joke!

!!!! i i should just take your word for it ?? I live in the real world take with a pich of salt what people say on a public forum its like I have more mates that you have what a joke!

Believe what you want, no skin off my nose, from what I understand the only thing the APEC cards gets you in Thailand is the right to use the fast track immigration line at Swampy....wink.png

I too live in the real world, and have tried to provide some info which is first hand info and because its not what you want to hear, you start taking snipes at people,

I would suggest at this juncture you leave to your lawyers then and let them sort it out...because apparantly we dont know what we are talking per your opinion and very obvious you dont either, so no point the blind leading the blind then..rolleyes.gif

Heck, we still have laws in some states over here that say it is illegal to have sex with your wife in anything but the missionary position

Oh man, just when I thought I had it right.

An APEC card is an alternative to a business visa. A work permit is not a visa at all.

It allows you to enter a country to conduct business, not to work.

An APEC card is slightly more expensive than two Thai business visas.

I wouldn't enter a country for business on a tourist visa. I wouldn't undertake work on a business visa or APEC card. The company isn't the one that gets a red stamp in their passport.

An APEC card is an alternative to a business visa. A work permit is not a visa at all.

It allows you to enter a country to conduct business, not to work.

An APEC card is slightly more expensive than two Thai business visas.

I wouldn't enter a country for business on a tourist visa. I wouldn't undertake work on a business visa or APEC card. The company isn't the one that gets a red stamp in their passport.

or the possible fine or jail sentance

You are quite right that this is a government-to-government issue to discuss. In the meantime, the existing laws and regulations (as outlined by Mario2008) apply. He knows a thing or two, believe me.

It's not only the Labor office or immigration. If one works here and does import the money into Thailand in the same tax year, but does not pay taxes because he/she "doesn't work here", the bloodhounds of the Revenue office might take a keen interest.

The Aliens Act itself is pretty clear, it's just not enforced fully. Same as many laws around here, which doesn't guarantee that they won't be enforced one day.

I suspect the ASEAN might make things easier. We'll see what happens in 2015.

This whole thread seemed pointless. OP seemed to be asking questions that he thought he already knew the answer to and then not liking the replies.

To then (as a person who sought advice on a public forum) condemn the answers that he received as being just the opinions of people on a public forum, well that just about sums it all up. :)

People generally ask questions on a public forum to save them having to ask lawyers, you don't often see people who have lawyers who have already told them the answer go to a forum to see if anybody else has the "right" answer.

I can't say I agree with everything on this site, but the mods on the visa forum are first class. No question.

They help people solve problems day in, day out, and on the odd occasions they don't know an answer, they find out.

• Like 1