Hi-Fi With Optical Digital Input

givenall

I am having a hard time finding a Hi-Fi system with optical digital input that does not cost less than 19k bth. I find many with digital out puts

I am trying to connect my tv that has an optical digital output to a reasonably sound Hi Fi so I can have a better sound that TV provides.

Any help will be appreciated

Presumably you mean "does not cost more than 19K"? What exactly do you mean by "system"?

Yes I mean around 10k to 15k

I want to connect from my LG TV to a hi-fi with min of two speakers and via a digital optical output from TV to the hi-fi digital optical input

You should check out Yamaha. I bought a Yamaha receiver with sorround speakers in 2010 for about 16k on a promotion. I have all my components connected to the TV with HDMI cables. And the sound through a optical cable from the TV to the receiver.

When I first bought the system, I connected all my components via HDMI straight to the receiver. And via HDMI from the receiver to the TV. But couldn´t get any sound. Turns out that the Yamaha receiver I bought didn´t support digital audio via HDMI, only Optical.

Cheers

Nana

The sound output from your TV, even via an optical socket, will be pretty poor as there is no terrestrial digital service here and so any decent quality sound would have to come from a satellite receiver, cable receiver or a DVD/BluRay player etc.

So why not just connect your satellite box or other player directly to your hifi? Most these days will accept HDMI audio inputs, some have optical or SPDIF, at worst you can connect via phono leads.

There certainly are some cheapish big-name all-in-one systems with both HDMI and optical/SPDIF inputs; I have seen them here but I cant remember exactly which they were.

The sound output from your TV, even via an optical socket, will be pretty poor as there is no terrestrial digital service here and so any decent quality sound would have to come from a satellite receiver, cable receiver or a DVD/BluRay player etc.

So why not just connect your satellite box or other player directly to your hifi? Most these days will accept HDMI audio inputs, some have optical or SPDIF, at worst you can connect via phono leads.

There certainly are some cheapish big-name all-in-one systems with both HDMI and optical/SPDIF inputs; I have seen them here but I cant remember exactly which they were.

nothing wrong with phone leads

i have some very high end audio back in uk still uses good old phono leads as you say the signal from a tv does not warrant digital optical cabling

Well, I wouldn't go that far.

There's nothing wrong with phono (not phone) leads if the source is analogue. But if the source is digital there is a hell of a lot wrong with using phono leads to connect to a digital amp as by definition they will introduce at least one digi/ana conversion that isn't really necessary.

Ideally the only conversion in the entire chain should be the one from the amp to the speakers. That way your only weak link is the speakers.

Well, I wouldn't go that far.

There's nothing wrong with phono (not phone) leads if the source is analogue. But if the source is digital there is a hell of a lot wrong with using phono leads to connect to a digital amp as by definition they will introduce at least one digi/ana conversion that isn't really necessary.

Ideally the only conversion in the entire chain should be the one from the amp to the speakers. That way your only weak link is the speakers.

lets not open the analogue vs digital can of worms

I am having a hard time finding a Hi-Fi system with optical digital input that does not cost less than 19k bth. I find many with digital out puts

I am trying to connect my tv that has an optical digital output to a reasonably sound Hi Fi so I can have a better sound that TV provides.

Any help will be appreciated

You should check out power buy website or check out one of their stores. I got a Sony surround sound home theatre with DVD player and the optical input you need for about 15k. They obviously have many other brands too. Might be an option for you.

The OP asked for digital, so lets keep the discussion that way

and not get diverted by analogue phono connections, please.

Moved to Hi Fi section

The OP asked for digital, so lets keep the discussion that way

and not get diverted by analogue phono connections, please.

Moved to Hi Fi section

sorry just trying to be helpful maybe the op is not aware that phono connections will be just fine for the job he wants doing

Edited by dazk

I wonder what the source is for your TV?

True Cable/Satellite/ Local cable network?

The latter will have the least quaility.

If the source is not good then connecting an external amp may not help at all

@tungbgs offer may be worth considering

but do go an listen before buying!!

Here is a the spec for the amp he is offering,

no idea about the speakers