Your Shortest Holiday In Thailand (Long Haul)

GuestHouse

I'm curious to know what is the shortest holiday TV members have taken in Thailand. (Long Haul - Not from a neighbouring county).

Has anyone here flown from the US/Europe/Oz or NZ for a couple of days then flown back?

I have never had a holiday in Thailand. Came here to work 16 some odd years ago, never made it home.

Once went back to Canada for 3 days though to see Tom Waits live at the Commodore with friends in Vancouver.

Yes 27 years ago.

Left with Thai Airways on a friday from Amsterdam for 2 nights in Bangkok in the then newly opened ShangriLa hotel to be at my best friends wedding.

And yes Thai flew from AMS those days with a DC9 via New Delhi.

Trip that I'll never forget.

Yermaneewai.gif

Edited by yermanee

Yes I used to regularly fly out for the weekend from the UK. Once or twice a month take the Thursday evening flight and back on the Sunday late evening red-eye. I probably did that for 18 months to two years and racked up a serious amount of airmiles doing it !

When I moved to Hong Kong that was considerably easier with a friday evening flight and back on the Sunday afternoon.

When I had more money than sense I used to fly out from London on a Friday evening and fly back from BKK on the late night flight around midnight. Mind you, that was about 10 years ago and now I'm much more sensible - and much poorer :)

• Like 2

2 nights in Bangkok, about 12 years ago. Around the World airfares were a bargain and you could score a deal on SQ that screamed out, fly me. So I would 2X a year. Added a couple days in Singapore, Malaysia, EU. It was a great way to see the world in 2 weeks and not get bored. That was back when flying was fun. I don't think too many people are popping in for tea anymore. The airfares now are not particularly attractive.

y

When I had more money than sense I used to fly out from London on a Friday evening and fly back from BKK on the late night flight around midnight. Mind you, that was about 10 years ago and now I'm much more sensible - and much poorer smile.png

Ditto...

Several times in the early 90's, leaving Heatrhow on a Friday night and back on Monday morning, just on time for the lunch "mise-en-place" at the restaurant cool.png

Which budget wise, in those times, was not more expensive than a full on weekend around Belgravia... Just Methinks!

It was not exactly holidays and it was the other way around. It was 14 years ago and I was still an intern in my company. We had to deliver important documents to a customer in France and for that we had to give the documents to the courrier company before 8 pm. We missed the deadline so my boss looked at me and said "what do you think of a short trip to Paris ?". He drove me home to pick up my passport and a change of cloth then to the airport where he bought me a return ticket to Paris and the next day at 6 am I was in Paris. The weather was nice and I had the time to have a coffee and a croissant at a cafe's terrace before delivering the documents to our customer at 9 am . Then I took a taxi back to the airport and at lunch time I was on my way back to Hong Kong.

I remember chatting to a 'lady' on some dating website around mid 2002 and she said she would love to meet me. So I said 'OK, I will fly out to see you for the weekend, but I need to be back in London on Monday afternoon'. I persuaded her to meet me at Don Muang on the Saturday afternoon. I don't think she really believed that I was going to fly to BKK for the weekend...

Imagine her surprise when I met her at DM!

My journey was somewhat wasted because she spoke to herself rather a lot and finally chased after my taxi in Soi Saladaeng screaming that she wanted to marry me. I had to take refuge in the Dusit Thani Hotel.

Thai women - don't you just luve 'em?

• Like 1

In my previous life I used to get 7 days off every now and then..............I would think to myself..........hmmmmm...... I could go down to the club and see the same faces sitting on the same seats talking the same dribble..............or.....

..........I could jump on a kerosene canary and be in LOS having the time of my life and really living.

The worst part was the flight home, looking out the window approaching Sydney Airport knowing that I would be back at work in less than 12 hours.