Suvarnabhumi Airport Customs Arrest Iranian National With 3.9 kgs Of 'ice'

webfact

Iranian man arrested allegedly with 3.9 kgs of 'ice'

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- An Iranian man was arrested along with 3,980 grams of crystal meth worth Bt14 million at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport, Royal Thai Customs Department's Investigation and Suppression Bureau chief Rakop Srisupaart announced Thursday.

Customs officials searched the suspicious passenger Rasoul Boroumand, 34, after he landed from Teharan and Dubai on Wednesday evening and found the drugs hidden in his luggage.

The man reportedly confessed to do the drug transport for Thai drug dealers eight times before, each time of which he got paid Bt300,000, and the drugs would be distributed in Bangkok's Nana area and Pattaya City.

He said he himself stayed and sold coffee in Pratunam area for three years.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-12

Iranian arrested with Bt14 mln of ‘ice’ at Thai airport

image_201207121640447A8FDC8F-0C0B-08BA-745DB2BEE5EC9048.jpgimage_201207121640527A8FF98F-058B-0B32-9B4BA9FF29B1D25B.jpgimage_201207121641217A906BE0-9F18-B136-512718869FCA1CEC.jpg

BANGKOK, July 12 -- An Iranian man was detained at Thailand’s main international airport for allegedly smuggling crystal methamphetamine, known as 'ice,' valued at Bt14 million (some US$466,000), a Thai senior customs officer said on Thursday.

Rasoul Boroumand, a 34-year-old Iranian, was apprehended at Suvarnabhumi Airport Wednesday night with packaged crystal meth, weighing some 3,980 grammes, Rakop Srisupa-at, director of the Thai Customs Department Investigation and Suppression Bureau, told a news briefing Thursday.

Flying from the Iranian capital of Tehran to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates before reaching Thailand, the suspect behaved suspiciously while passing through the terminal.

Customs officers asked him to stop for a baggage check and found crystal meth in four plastic bags covered with dark blue carbon paper. The packages of the illegal drug were hidden in a briefcase inside his suitcase.

Mr Boroumand was charged with possessing and smuggling illicit drugs without permission and was transferred to the Narcotics Suppression Bureau for further investigation.

Apart from impounding the crystal meth, customs officers seized 2,777 methamphetamine pills with an estimated street value of Bt1 million ($33,300) found at Suvarnabhumi airport’s mail centre, June 13 through July 9. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-07-12

Once again............ why not let him pass through. Follow him to the thai buyer and arrest everyone.

Why ?cause I suspect he is delivering to a bib, politician or a hi-so and we cant arrest them.

Easy as that eh? Do all international airports maintain teams of surveillance staff at the airport ready to follow anyone seen to have drugs?

They only heard about him being a courier not a seller after he was questioned.

Once again............ why not let him pass through. Follow him to the thai buyer and arrest everyone.

Why ?cause I suspect he is delivering to a bib, politician or a hi-so and we cant arrest them.

Yes, so true.....and most Thai's accept this behaviourcoffee1.gif

Yes, so true.....and most Thai's accept this behaviourcoffee1.gif

BUT, they don't want to tread on big fish toes further down the line that are eeeeeer, hmmmmmmm, big fish. whistling.gif

I am sure the customs and police are questioning the mule and will be pursuing leads regarding the destination of the drugs and expect him to reveal local dealers' names.

OTOH maybe not.

I am so tired of reading / hearing more that 3 times a week of either this Iranian man / woman, or Nigerian man / woman etc.. being arrested with Millions of Thai Baht worth of drugs... !! Give me a break ..! This is all BS to show that the Thai Officials are really cracking down on drugs in a decent way ... I mean c'mon ... are so many people so stupid to keep going through Suvarnabhumi with Such Huge Kilos of Drugs worth millions every 2nd or 3rd day ?? ... It's a farce !!

And in any case as everything else you will never hear a word about this again from now on as for every other busted drug passenger at Suvarnabhumi... was he convicted...?? You'll never know ..?? What happened to the 14 million Baht worth of Ice ...?? you will never know ... !! ... It's all fiction to me and media forged propaganda to make the Thai Authorities look good...

So like Why didn't he just run like the Kuwaiti lady who had " 11 pythons and a baby monkey among an array of creatures hidden in her suitcase trying to board a flight from Bangkok, A total of 24 live animals were found stashed in the woman's suitcase , the woman fled the scene when asked to open her suitcase" Why didn't he also run ???? Oops guess was not in his suitcase but in his anal body partscoffee1.gif

Edited by annabel

I am sure the customs and police are questioning the mule and will be pursuing leads regarding the destination of the drugs and expect him to reveal local dealers' names.

OTOH maybe not.

I am so tired of reading / hearing more that 3 times a week of either this Iranian man / woman, or Nigerian man / woman etc.. being arrested with Millions of Thai Baht worth of drugs... !! Give me a break ..! This is all BS to show that the Thai Officials are really cracking down on drugs in a decent way ... I mean c'mon ... are so many people so stupid to keep going through Suvarnabhumi with Such Huge Kilos of Drugs worth millions every 2nd or 3rd day ?? ... It's a farce !! And in any case as everything else you will never hear a word about this again from now on as for every other busted drug passenger at Suvarnabhumi... was he convicted...?? You'll never know ..?? What happened to the 14 million Baht worth of Ice ...?? you will never know ... !! ... It's all fiction to me and media forged propaganda to make the Thai Authorities look good...

Interesting angle. Are you suggesting the Customs guys are hiring actors to pose as "drug smugglers" and then after the photo op they are released? What's in the plastic bags? Pancake Mix?whistling.gif

• Like 1

OTOH maybe not.

I am so tired of reading / hearing more that 3 times a week of either this Iranian man / woman, or Nigerian man / woman etc.. being arrested with Millions of Thai Baht worth of drugs... !! Give me a break ..! This is all BS to show that the Thai Officials are really cracking down on drugs in a decent way ... I mean c'mon ... are so many people so stupid to keep going through Suvarnabhumi with Such Huge Kilos of Drugs worth millions every 2nd or 3rd day ?? ... It's a farce !! And in any case as everything else you will never hear a word about this again from now on as for every other busted drug passenger at Suvarnabhumi... was he convicted...?? You'll never know ..?? What happened to the 14 million Baht worth of Ice ...?? you will never know ... !! ... It's all fiction to me and media forged propaganda to make the Thai Authorities look good...

Interesting angle. Are you suggesting the Customs guys are hiring actors to pose as "drug smugglers" and then after the photo op they are released? What's in the plastic bags? Pancake Mix?whistling.gif

When was the last time you heard of iranian, Kenyan drug mule sentenced to death for drug smuggling?

From my limited knowledge of this drug it can easily be made at home - why is there smuggling for this when it can be made right here in Thailand.(?)

Additionally - isn't it systematic for the Iranian to differ blame over to a "Thai" whom contracted him to do the smuggling - what a laugh - that just does not make sense - the Iranians are working a smuggling route plain and simple - its an attrition rate to them - they send 10 mules - 3 get caught - they have a 70% success rate - simple.

One of the reasons it is mostly Iranians getting caught is because they are not paying the right people - its really not that complicated.

Iran is destitute - no jobs - no flow of money for the common man - these mules are desperate people being offered a sum of money to perform a courier service - they are being sent by many numbers to Thailand where there is a large demand of users.

The people in Thailand ready and waiting to receive each one of these couriers are Iranians.

One can speculate all day if the money from the sale of the drugs are related to terrorism - but the whole truth is that is simply dirty money - being used for a myriad of uses after the sale of the drugs

• Like 1

Iranian held in airport meth bust

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- An Iranian man was arrested in possession of 3,980 grams of crystal methamphetamine worth Bt14 million at Suvarnabhumi Airport, the chief of the Royal Thai Customs Department's Investigation and Suppression Bureau, Rakop Srisupaart, said yesterday.

Customs officials searched suspicious passenger Rasoul Boroumand, 34, after he arrived from Tehran via Dubai on Wednesday evening and found the drugs hidden in his luggage. The man reportedly confessed to having transported the drug for Thai dealers on eight previous occasions, receiving payment of Bt300,000 each time. He said the drugs were distributed in Bangkok's Nana area and in Pattaya. He said he had lived in the Pratunam area for three years, selling coffee.

Rakop also reported that the airport's post office detected 2,777 yaba tablets hidden in a package bound for Israel bearing a fake Thai sender's name and address.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-13

They must have an excess of idiots in Iran

how does this fit in area- wise?

In 1272, the Arabs invented the condom, using a goat's lower intestine.

In 1873, the British somewhat refined the idea, by taking the intestine out of the goat first.

• Like 2

It is more traditional to smuggle plant-based drugs like hash, coke and heroin. Meth can be made in a normal kitchen with fairly basic materials. Its amazing he would risk his life to smuggle for no reason.

Infact, I suspect he was set up - family kidnapped, cheap kitchen drugs given to him to carry, a phone call to Thai customs, and meanwhile another passenger on the same flight sails through the distracted customs carrying something worth smuggling.

ermm.gif

Edited by Yunla

OTOH maybe not.

When was the last time you heard of iranian, Kenyan drug mule sentenced to death for drug smuggling?

Ratcatcher - I gotta say the conspiracy theory is just sooo doable and believable here in Thailand that it's hard to refute this possibility. The lack of accountability and high degree of evasiviness of truth promotes skepticism to seep into every theory. I like your train of thought.

It is more traditional to smuggle plant-based drugs like hash, coke and heroin. Meth can be made in a normal kitchen with fairly basic materials. Its amazing he would risk his life to smuggle for no reason.

Infact, I suspect he was set up - family kidnapped, cheap kitchen drugs given to him to carry, a phone call to Thai customs, and meanwhile another passenger on the same flight sails through the distracted customs carrying something worth smuggling.

ermm.gif

You think they kept his family kidnapped for his previous 8 runs as well?

You think they kept his family kidnapped for his previous 8 runs as well?

I'm sure they could get away with it in Iran. I'm just surprised they would keep smuggling this stuff when its pretty simple to make in the bathtub or kitchen. Maybe he was willingly smuggling other substances on the previous runs, but his handlers decided to use him as a sacrificial decoy this time and gave him this bathtub chemicals instead & used threats to his family to make him go. Drug-mules used as sacrificial decoys to protect larger more valuable shipments arriving on the same flight is extremely common practice by South American drug cartels and they usually threaten to harm the persons children in their home country even if that is Europe.

Edited by Yunla