Best Quality House Paints In Thailand?

fish fingers

Hi, I've just moved here and looking for a good quality matt emulsion to paint a room; ideally a 'chalky' hi matt finish with good pigments i.e something similar to a Farrow & Ball type paint but locally produced, if there is such a thing. I've been told by one person that TOA are good, only to be told by someone else that their paints are not that great.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Berger.

AND be careful not to confuse bErger with bEger a nice rip off name.......

Been a while since a painted a house in Thailand.

If you want a good stain and varnish heres how I did it. Take a 550 Baht tin of TOA boat varnish, a 400 Baht tin of Chaindrite wood preservative in dark brown, some thinners.

Prepare back to wood. Sand to fine grade. Paint with Chaindrite. Then mix 1/4 Chaindrite to 3/4 TOA Boat varnish . . .

6011757053_4785a3e4ec_b.jpg

6012290978_b6bbab3471_b.jpg

• Like 2

I wouldnt worry too much what you use because its INSIDE so will not be assaulted by weather, Ive found you have to paint fast here as it dries darned quick and dont thin more than 10% with water, unlike Mr Thai who knows best and will add 50% water .

Use a well known brand Id go for Dulux, yep its expensive.

For wood years ago I used a lovely product called LIBERON FINISHING OIL actually applied by rag but many coats wire wooled with 1000 grade wool between coats and last coat liberon woodpolish .

Sorry MJP I think your doors look pants, patchy streaky, no offence.

Edited by travelmann

I wouldnt worry too much what you use because its INSIDE so will not be assaulted by weather, Ive found you have to paint fast here as it dries darned quick and dont thin more than 10% with water, unlike Mr Thai who knows best and will add 50% water .

Use a well known brand Id go for Dulux, yep its expensive.

For wood years ago I used a lovely product called LIBERON FINISHING OIL actually applied by rag but many coats wire wooled with 1000 grade wool between coats and last coat liberon woodpolish .

Sorry MJP I think your doors look pants, patchy streaky, no offence.

Yeah, but I did it and all the wood in the house for 20 quid . . . so it ain't bad.

Keep in mind that most brands have a range of qualities available. You get what you pay for, if you buy the cheapo stuff from any brand it's going to suck.

I have used several brands/models and now on all projects I use:

• TOA Duraclean for inside
  • TOA supershield for outside

Beware that Thai painters love to buy the cheapest paint they can find, and then make it even worse by mixing it 50:50 with water. If you hire paintser make sure you buy paint yourself and don't let them mix it with water.

We painted our exterior with both dulux weathershield & Toa supershield just to see if there was any differense that was noticable. Both brands had the same ingrediants & are wonderful. House painted a year & 1/2 ago. If you get the second to the top paint or the best grade the companies make it makes a huge difference. Toa lower -lowest grade is total crap but you do get what you pay for in the paint dept. Unless you like to paint yeaarly get the better-best grade.And your prep work is the # 1 important factor. I used contact primer opposed to the cheaper primers available & it really does keep the paint from lifting from the concrete....along with meticulous care in cleaning before anything is primed & painted. We used as the directions state No more than 10% water & that is just to make the paint roll out easier any more than 10% you are just pissing against the wind.I am not lazy but hate having to re-do anything that can be done once till the product has reached its expiration date.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments here, well appreciated. I painted the outside of our house with Berger about four years ago, I admit it was a dark color so expected it to fade, but it faded really fast. We're re-painting soon, and have been looking at paint and talking to both the sales-persons, company reps who hang around at HomePro, and our painter. They all pretty much say the same thing. Even though the brochure says it is good for 15 years, everyone says if we get five years out of it we're very lucky. They say if we use a light color we'll get six years, darker color, four to five. The box says 15 years.

Most people we've talked with recommend TOA Supershield or Jotun. The Jotun is almost twice as expensive which would be worth it if it lasted a few more years, but that is not the impression I am getting.

Anyone have any idea about this heat protective claim that the companies are promoting? I can't imagine a thin coat of paint would have any insulation factor at all. Am I wrong about this?

Thanks everyone. And thanks for the 10% tip, I'll ask the painter about that.

Thanks for the comments here, well appreciated. I painted the outside of our house with Berger about four years ago, I admit it was a dark color so expected it to fade, but it faded really fast. We're re-painting soon, and have been looking at paint and talking to both the sales-persons, company reps who hang around at HomePro, and our painter. They all pretty much say the same thing. Even though the brochure says it is good for 15 years, everyone says if we get five years out of it we're very lucky. They say if we use a light color we'll get six years, darker color, four to five. The box says 15 years.

Most people we've talked with recommend TOA Supershield or Jotun. The Jotun is almost twice as expensive which would be worth it if it lasted a few more years, but that is not the impression I am getting.

Anyone have any idea about this heat protective claim that the companies are promoting? I can't imagine a thin coat of paint would have any insulation factor at all. Am I wrong about this?

Thanks everyone. And thanks for the 10% tip, I'll ask the painter about that.

No the 15 years is only to say that under ideal conditions it will last this long . Any quality paint will last you at least a few years without a problem . My paint is on now for over a year and it still looks brand new , i hope it stays that way for at least 4 more years . No water is used in the proces , which is something any Thai painter will always do !! The brand doesn't matter because i strongly believe that any quality paint is nearly the same , but you do pay the same price also . If you are getting cheaper , then it does matter but you surely get what you pay for .

As the insulation question . I reccon you ask about the heat reflection properties which some paints claim . These paints have NO insulation value at all , and these paints also do not claim this . They claim that the paint is more reflective then the same color of the same brand and this statement is true ( afaik) . The reflectivity is aimed at the reflection of the heat/sun and it does work . However do not think that a dark color will reflect the heat as much as a whiter colour one .

Thanks for that, again, Sezze. Yes, I meant reflective, I mis-spoke, and I agree, a darker color will not be as reflective thus the reason we have a light colored roof. Sounds good, we'll give the TOA Supershield a try and see how it goes.

• 2 months later...

paint breaks down due to oxidization(the powdery surface on the paint)and mould/mildew(in Thailand), if you wash the exterior down every 12 months or even every couple of years the paint work will last for a much longer time. You must use a quality paint though and not the cheap crap, in Thailand Dulux is the way to go as all the others use lower quality components/ingredients. Dulux are the best of them but in Australia I used only Resene but it is not available here, it has a higher amount of titanium white in it which gives it a better quality finish.

Dennis