Good Shawarma Sandwiches At Tesco Fortune Town Food Court

Was out shopping the other day at the Tesco store in Fortune Town Mall (right at the Rama 9 MRT Station).

And was surprised to find a small shawarma sandwich stand had been set up right at the doorway from the ground floor Food Court leading into the Tesco Store, with the gourmet-inspiring name of "Mr. Freddy".

But to my surprise, we tried their sliced beef sandwiches (which ranged from 70 to 80 baht per) and they were quite good. Their brochure talks about them offering their sandwiches on your choice of pita bread or flat bread. Although I my visit, I saw only flat bread. We tried one of those for 70 baht, and then another beef sandwich with melted cheese served on a quite good and tasty hamburger-type bun for 80 baht.

Their brochure also is advertising chicken sandwiches for 50 baht and mixed sandwiches for 60 baht, as well as individual sized 6 inch pizzas with about 11 different choices of toppings for 95 baht. I saw the pizzas, and they didn't look so interesting. But the shawarma-type sandwiches there were pretty good, and the chicken and beef was being freshly grilled and sliced off the familiar vertical grills there at the stand.

They also were advertising at the stand some kind of evening discounts on their sandwiches starting from 8 or 8:30 pm nightly until closing.

post-58284-0-03143200-1342188263_thumb.j

Interesting.

I saw a shawarma place in the food court of Central Ladprao. 2 types of bread - pita and another type with a name I wasn't familiar with, and the usual sauces and salad options. It was pretty good, especially the bread. Have to say I was very surprised to see this kind of set up in a Central food court. Was even more surprised to see Thai people trying the food. This was late last year and it'd be interesting to know if they're still in business.

You've got me hungry now. As much as I hate the place I might pop down the road and try Mr Freddy's at Fortune.

There weren't a lot of customer options available at the Mr. Freddy's stand as best as I could tell. They appeared to have two red-colored squeeze bottles of sauce on the counter, I'm guessing one with ketchup and the other with some kind of spicier sauce. You could ask them to go heavier, go lighter or skip all together on those. The only other choices appeared to be your choice of meat and bread.

FWIW, the owners of Fortune Town have been remodeling and sprucing up the place ever since the Central Rama 9 mall opened across the street. It's a somewhat more pleasant place than before, with some new shops and a CP Food market added on the first floor.

Re the shawarma sandwiches, they're of course offered at various places around the Little Middle East areas of Suk Soi 3 and the street stand up near the corner of Soi 5 before you get to Foodland there.

But also, out at On Nut, for some time, there's also been a similar small stand there on the Big C side of Suk Road in that outdoors marketplace area with all the small eateries and clothes booths, just below the BTS station. Haven't tried anything from that sandwich place, as yet.

Thanks for the On Nut tip.

I noticed on the Mr Freddy's photo you posted that it mentions a second outlet on Ratchada soi 3. I'm not familiar with that soi but imagine it's a predominantly Thai area, which suggests they too enjoy a good shawarma (or quite possibly just the pizza).

• 2 months later...