Bangkok's Airport Of Smiles In Crisis

webfact

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Designed by Helmut Jahn of Murphy/Jahn Architects of Chicago, the airport was in trouble the day it opened,"

Somehow I don't think the original designs called for substandard materials. Nor was there a section in the designs titled: "Shortcuts no one should notice".

Correct they designed the basic concept years before it opened - while it was Thai architects that designed the fit out and the rest.

The runways were constructed by dumping fill material on the original swamp so expect them to carry on sinking and cracking.

The only problem I see is that this airport is design by a Farang who don't understand Thai or Thailand.

Maybe you can explain, so that all farang can finally understand. ;-)

Yes, please explain.

We are waiting...........rolleyes.gif

The only problem I see is that this airport is design by a Farang who don't understand Thai or Thailand.

You are a bigoted tool

That's not fair to tools, tools have some use! crying.gif

-mel.

I do think, boys and girls, that the OP'er meant the statement as sarcasm .

Then let him say it !

whistling.gif In my previous post I wasn't complaining.

I just meant to point out that the real purpose for swampy was to have a nice looking place where incoming and outgoing tourists would spend their mony. That's why I refered to it before as a shopping mall where customers FLY in and leave by cars.

Any other consideration....such as it's suitability a/nd/or efficency as an airport or even the safety of it's runways was always considered less important than it's revenue generating capacity.

Question: If swampy isn't a big fancy shopping mall with stores selling expensive high-end (and I say overpriced) luxury goods....then why is there that long walk through all those shops on both arrival and departure to and from the departure gates?

It's was, and still is, that "shopping is first priority" attitude that made swampy what it is.

I guess that's called "Capitalisim".

whistling.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

So whats wrong, this seems to be typical Thai construction, bad design, 2nd rate materials used, all kinds of problems later, we can show you this in our house we had built, very poor.

LOL and Thailand is thinking of having nuclear power, with building a reactor here oh s_hit if that happens I'm out of here, they better think long and hard on that, before starting with a death reactor.w00t.gifsick.gifcheesy.gifcrying.gif

• Like 1

Remember that the Air France Concorde was brought down by a small piece of debris on the runway that ruptured a fuel tank. Disintegrating runways are not a good thing.

This is exactly the reason why I don't buy French technology.

You dont buy french technology because a piece of debris on a runway caused a Concorde to crash------ <deleted>-----If it was not so stupid I would laughclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

"Designed by Helmut Jahn of Murphy/Jahn Architects of Chicago, the airport was in trouble the day it opened,"

Somehow I don't think the original designs called for substandard materials. Nor was there a section in the designs titled: "Shortcuts no one should notice".

isn't the architect supposed to supervise the materials and construction, or is he just paid to make nice drawings? as the last terminal they built in RCGG(Paris) that collapsed 2 months upon completion.

No thats the engineers job, architect is design and concept - engineering consultancy deals with the structure and supervises construction.

• Like 1

Just departed thru the airport a few days ago and no problems leaving, thru immigration in about 15 min.., we where a bit late departing but the airplane arrived late. When I arrived from the Philippines earlier thru immigration in about 20 min no hassel. In the end all you can use to measure the airports preformance is your own experience.

which makes all other reporting sheer nonsense???

The element of surprise is entirely inappropriate given the entire project was supervised by Thaksin's crew and managed by AOT, the

the most bare-faced mafia ever to gain serious control of a public service in Thailand - even including the SRT; and supervised by the most corrupt of all the Ministries - Transport. When Thaksin forced the goons to open the airport too soon, it was a year behind schedule because of the fixes required...did he care? When a clown runs the show, you get what you expect. The corrupt in Thailand will stoop to any level to outdo their hideous cronies. And that's why you have half an airport, floating on an old swamp with half the concrete missing...I believe there were some expat engineers involved too in this laughable project...any word from any of them recently?

Very <deleted>' TRUE !!!

isn't the architect supposed to supervise the materials and construction, or is he just paid to make nice drawings? as the last terminal they built in RCGG(Paris) that collapsed 2 months upon completion.

No thats the engineers job, architect is design and concept - engineering consultancy deals with the structure and supervises construction.

a runway is not an architect's job. Unqualified for this. This is an engineer's job!

What is the problem here?

No planes have crash landed

and no planes have crashed on takeoff

You are right, my fried.

Let,s be realistic, there will not be any craches, for same " cracks " on the runway, but it have to be controlled, as the situations not get worther.All moder aircrraft, have landing gear.

The reasun the Concord crached were in fact aircraft parts, who falling of from an US registred aircraft ( unniticed )and this later were puncture one of the fuel / wing tank.

Don,t be afraid, for flying, specially to BKK, who in fact are one of the most modern airport.

Further, the waiting time for the immigration are now much shorter, and many times take only 10 to 15 minutes.

This short waiting time are fully accetable.

Reg. the other things, aorond the airport, this are another story.

Many +++++ for BKK new airport, and it,s friendly personal.

• Like 2

Remember that the Air France Concorde was brought down by a small piece of debris on the runway that ruptured a fuel tank. Disintegrating runways are not a good thing.

Anything French for that matter...

I take it none of you guys fly on Airbus planes then.. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Question: If swampy isn't a big fancy shopping mall with stores selling expensive high-end (and I say overpriced) luxury goods....then why is there that long walk through all those shops on both arrival and departure to and from the departure gates?

It's was, and still is, that "shopping is first priority" attitude that made swampy what it is.

whistling.gif

What? Wot? Or wat?

Please name me an International Airport that doesn't sell high end luxury goods; such as Rolex, Cartier, Chanel, LV, and so on.

Please name an International airport that doesn't have a long walk/ horizontal track that takes you 1-2km, with get off points at each row of shops.

Every airport of importance Internationally caters for the elite regular fliers, so why do you pull out Suva as being extreme in this capacity?

If it's capitalism in Thailand, then it is at every International Airport in the world. ermm.gif

-mel.

• Like 2

You keep buying your AJ stuff lol

whistling.gif

Sorry for my ignorance but what's AJ stuff ?

Inexpensive electrical goods.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Gentleman, the quality (or rather 'lack thereof') is easiest observed at the appalling state of the Airport Hotel (Novotel). When next t the airport - and if you have a spare 20 minutes or so, venture across the Arrival-Level road (the one that runs in front of the airport) walk through the parking garage and take a little walk around this hotel . . . . . even a blind man will notice the subsidence and breaking base-skirting around the entire hotel. Walkways & stairways are also very badly affected. The same crew that constructed the Airport, also constructed this hotel. It is truly unbelievable what you will see.

The good thing about this ? ? You will fully understand the scope of the problem which affects the entire Airport and all building constructed near it.

giggle.gif

• Like 1

whistling.gif

What? Wot? Or wat?

Please name me an International Airport that doesn't sell high end luxury goods; such as Rolex, Cartier, Chanel, LV, and so on.

Please name an International airport that doesn't have a long walk/ horizontal track that takes you 1-2km, with get off points at each row of shops.

Every airport of importance Internationally caters for the elite regular fliers, so why do you pull out Suva as being extreme in this capacity?

If it's capitalism in Thailand, then it is at every International Airport in the world. ermm.gif

-mel.

Phuket

whistling.gif

What? Wot? Or wat?

-mel.

Mel, just because there's a precedent doesn't make it good. Continual improvement is the name of the game. Just cos someone else effs up doesn't necessarily make them a good model. The core business of the airport is landings and takeoffs and moving people and goods in and out safely and efficiently, is it not? It's a (re-)distribution system. Suggest a focus on getting that right first, the rest is important, but secondary.

The 51 million might be correct; fact is that 80% are transiting through Bangkok to:

- Lao PDR (hotels full)

- Burma (hotels full)

- Vietnam (hotels full)

- Cambodia (hotels full)

- North Asian and Australasian countries

while maybe 10 million get off in Bangkok, get creamed by immigration queues, taxi vultures, ghost guides and other rip-offs and when finally arriving downtown stay in unfriendly, albeit cheap(er) and half empty hotels.

There is the message!

• Like 1

Just departed thru the airport a few days ago and no problems leaving, thru immigration in about 15 min.., we where a bit late departing but the airplane arrived late. When I arrived from the Philippines earlier thru immigration in about 20 min no hassel. In the end all you can use to measure the airports preformance is your own experience.

Why are we getting off the plane and on to a bus to get to the terminal? Compared to Changi, Hong Kong, Incheon...it's a joke.

Have to agree with the above post. I flew in from Qatar 6 days ago.....................slight 10 minute delay in landing but through immigration and out of the airport within 40 minutes of landing. I don't think thats too shabby.

Me also. In and out at least 6 times a year since it opened and the nice immigration always fast tracked me with a Thai Work Permit.

Why are we getting off the plane and on to a bus to get to the terminal? Compared to Changi, Hong Kong, Incheon...it's a joke.

You get on a bus when you fly low cost airlines who want to keep fees to a minimum, pretty much like anywhere else.

June 28th. Flying Cathat Pacific from Hong Kong. In holding patten for 1hour 10 minutes. Laned! (at lasy) Then 55 minute wait to get through immigration

July 8th. after wonderful Thai holiday but then spoilt. Due to "renovations" the queque to get through immigration on right hand side of terminal was so long. Only 5 immigration officials with 2 other sitting bedise each other laughing and joking but not acception passports. Again, a 55 minute delay with my Cathay plame waiting for me to be last to board

Wake up Thailand!! This was 7th visit. Maybe next time to Vietnam or another hospitable country that values tourists

Somebody should conduct an investigation into the number of workers who have died on the job at this airport. Suspected to be a chemical poisoning from the materials used to build the airport. This has been hushed up by somebody.