Kasikorn - Opening Acct With Only Passport

ShopBoy

Unless something has changed their website states very clearly that you can open a basic account with a tourist visa. Your friend may try printing their account rules for foreigners out although I doubt it will be helpful since it all seems to depend on if the person behind the counter feels like working or not. I opened my account at KTB last year with just a stamp in my passport from the flight in...nothing more. But I think I got lucky since I've heard horror stories of people going from branch to branch trying to get one set up. I can only suggest you may have better chances at a branch in an area foreigners may frequent. They probably keep staff on hand that are more comfortable speaking in English.

It does depend on the bank and the person you deal with. I opened an account with SCB with only a passport in 2008. I only had a 30 day exception stamp.This was in Phuket. My Thai girlfiend in 2010 tried to open an account at the same branch and the bank said no. I could not understand why. Moved north and still on 30 day exception opened a new SCB account after closing the old one. if you search the internet they say you need work permits or letters from your embassy. Use the advice from previous posts and shop around.

Kasikorn is touch and go.... at one time they would open an account for your dog..

New rules are taking place with regards to money laundering so the sooner you do it the better.

It may help if you have more than a tourist Visa..

It may also help if you have a big Wad of Cash in your hand and need it paying in.

I had a friend refused, but I went along with him and they then accepted it.

Don't try Bangkok Bank. I lost my wallet recently with my ATM visa card in it. They wouldn't replace my card (account opened 5 years ago) without the work permit. Problem was since I was getting a new the next day, the work permit was in my wallet. It was a holiday the next week and took over a week to get the new one. I asked to see the manager and asked him what regulation required valid work permit for re-issue of the card. He couldn't give me an answer.