Why Do Farangs Wai Hookers?

You consider these to be the same as bargirls?
do you not? having few sponsors is not stealing and scamming? how is being a hooker any different to being a drug dealer or a thieve or an armed robber? all doing it for the money, no?
Careful everyone!

Someones forgot to log out of their TV account and their 5 year old kid's started posting! Brace yourself for a barrage of stupid questions asking to clarify the obvious! coffee1.gif

and the obvious is?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What does this post say about me, is it that am not polite because I don't wai hookers? You should know when and who to wai, if you don't you shouldn't do it because it's uncalled for. They are providing services for a fee. Do you wai the cashier at the local Tesco when they wai you? Yes, you can say it is the polite thing to do, but do you actually think your wai is going to earn you more points than if you don't wai? Does it make you feel more intergrated in Thai society if you wai everybody for every reason? It's a waste of time, they really don't care if you wai them or not, their only concern is how much money your about to spend.

You haven't answered the question. Why does what other people do bother you so much? Who said anything about "earning points" anyway? I repeat, a tourist who returns a wai from a bargirl is just being polite. There's really no need for you to get so hot & bothered about it!

It doesn't matter to me, and it really doesn't bother me either. I'm not the one that looks like an idiot waiing prostitutes. A tourist doesn't know any better, but for someone who lives here, they should already be up on the game and know what time it is. I am not hot and bothered, in fact I'm enjoying reading this thread. smile.png

Shame on you FlybyNights. I don't know how you can even look at yourself in the mirror whistling.gif

let me try and explain to you,

theses girls sell there body to feed there family, weather it be there child or there mama and papa,

there isnt money free in this country like in the west,

and these girs do what they do becouse they have to, not to feed some drug problem like in the west,

your happy to come here and take advantage of them, but you dont feel the need to wai them, just to show a little repect for what they are doing,

your un real,,,,,,,,,

Free money in the west? Please tell me where.

Take off your rose colored glasses; hookers are hookers whether in the west or in Asia.

Also, please explain to me why "these girls" have to be prostitutes? Please explain why they can't work in a factory or somewhere legit?

What does this post say about me, is it that am not polite because I don't wai hookers? You should know when and who to wai, if you don't you shouldn't do it because it's uncalled for. They are providing services for a fee. Do you wai the cashier at the local Tesco when they wai you? Yes, you can say it is the polite thing to do, but do you actually think your wai is going to earn you more points than if you don't wai? Does it make you feel more intergrated in Thai society if you wai everybody for every reason? It's a waste of time, they really don't care if you wai them or not, their only concern is how much money your about to spend.

You haven't answered the question. Why does what other people do bother you so much? Who said anything about "earning points" anyway? I repeat, a tourist who returns a wai from a bargirl is just being polite. There's really no need for you to get so hot & bothered about it!

It doesn't matter to me, and it really doesn't bother me either. I'm not the one that looks like an idiot waiing prostitutes. A tourist doesn't know any better, but for someone who lives here, they should already be up on the game and know what time it is. I am not hot and bothered, in fact I'm enjoying reading this thread. smile.png

Shame on you FlybyNights. I don't know how you can even look at yourself in the mirror whistling.gif

Must be trolly Sundayrolleyes.gif

do you not? having few sponsors is not stealing and scamming?

how is being a hooker any different to being a drug dealer or a thieve or an armed robber? all doing it for the money, no?

Have you ever worked for a living. Did you do it for the money? Perhaps you are just a HiSo heir? You obviously think you are better than most of the rest us.

Very nice thread!Walking into a bar you can mostly know what the girls do for a living,to wai or not to wai,that is the Q.

I really do not think Thai people expect us Farangs to know when and how to wai and they do not get worked up about it.

They are a lot more foregiving then the op,and yes i do wai but not always but i mostly answer a wai with the same.

And yes i do meet robbers,cheaters maybe even murderers and some of them i do greet.I hope the op can forgive me.

how is being a hooker any different to being a drug dealer or a thieve or an armed robber? all doing it for the money, no?

Have you ever worked for a living. Did you do it for the money? Perhaps you are just a HiSo heir? You obviously think you are better than most of the rest us.

Actually i am sure i have and do work harder than you and started at younger age than you, but thats not relevant.

What is relevant, that i actually work hard to earn money to buy things, i certainly do not look for hand outs or for an easy or illegal way of making a livingthumbsup.gif

Very nice thread!Walking into a bar you can mostly know what the girls do for a living,to wai or not to wai,that is the Q.

I really do not think Thai people expect us Farangs to know when and how to wai and they do not get worked up about it.

They are a lot more foregiving then the op,and yes i do wai but not always but i mostly answer a wai with the same.

And yes i do meet robbers,cheaters maybe even murderers and some of them i do greet.I hope the op can forgive me.

great company of friends you keep there, i wei you for itwai.gif

Perhaps they see qualities that people overly concerned with social standing miss

Like what for example?

Let me just say, the OP is clearly ignorant and I think this post is shameful.

Hookers just like everyone else are people. This is a very poor country and people have to do what is necessary to provide for themselves.

Maybe if the OP had found himself in different circumstances in his life he wouldn't be so thoughtless with his words.

People are people, regardless of what they do to make ends meet.

You should be judging the person on who they are, not what they do to put food on the table.

Unless you know the "hooker" personally, you are in not position do determine whether they deserve a wai or not.

The OP has a lot to learn.

Please save me the sad pity story

"People are people, regardless of what they do to make ends meet. You should be judging the person on who they are, not what they do to put food on the table."

Ok, be my guest and wai all the prostitutes that you want, your only making a fool of yourself.

Before you start waiing all people, at least try to understand the principle of the wai, and how it is supposed to be used. Just because someone is about to meet a hooker for a sexual services, doesn’t mean they should get the same respect with a wai, as say you were being introduced to a university teacher.

This is not the same as common western handshake. There is meaning behind a wai. Maybe your thinking it is just a simple gesture to say hello to someone?

You said "Unless you know the "hooker" personally, you are in not position do determine whether they deserve a wai or not."

It's not a determination I make, it's just something I do not do.

You should get a better understanding about the Thai culture, and then maybe you will stop waiing every single person just because you think it’s the ‘polite’ thing to do. Maybe then you can determine who and who does not deserve a wai.

@FlyByNights why do you even care so much that you have to waste your time on a forum about it?

Did you get stung by a hooker or something?

No I don't really care, just thought it make a good topic for this Sunday morning. Now that you mention being 'stung', actually no shitting, this morning went to get the paper and a bee flew in my helmet and stung me on my forehead. All jokes aside this seriously happened, but after I started the thread.

I cannot blame it on the sting tongue.png

You are forgiven.

OP - they are not embarrassing themsleves are they are ignorant of the wai. I was sitting in a bar/restaurant last night when a beggar girl came round the tables selling something. An ignorant farang waied her.

I see them walking into restaurants and waiing waitresses.

Waiing bargirls is of course ridiculous.

Once I sat at the airport in Hat Yai (Or maybe Trang, I am not sure).

The royal advisor Prem came. All the Thais disappeared (mostly went into the shops). Later they told me they did it because they don't know how to greet him crazy.gif

Actually everyone down in the south loves him.

So it was Prem and me in the airport (and two helpers walking behind him)

I decided I don't care. I sit there. Actually I wouldn't have greeted him as I don't greet anyone else who passes me on the airport.

When he passed me, he waved his hand (like you meet a friend), smiled and said load "Hello".

I waved, smiled and said "Hello".

Actually i am sure i have and do work harder than you and started at younger age than you, but thats not relevant.

What is relevant, that i actually work hard to earn money to buy things, i certainly do not look for hand outs or for an easy or illegal way of making a livingthumbsup.gif

I could easily challenge this, but I don't get into pissing contests with better than thou people. You're simply not worth the effort.

One should never wai the service staff.

Some westerners think this shows kindness, equality and respect. Hardly.

It fuels contempt and a lack of respect. Thailand is still a class driven society and one must respect those social customs. This does not mean that one cannot give a smile and a nod. On the contrary, that is the appropriate response and acknowledgement of a person showing respect. It is the polite thing to do. It is politeness that matters, even with a hooker. Saying khrap and a smile goes much further than a wai to those of a lower caste. On the other hand if some people wai the bargirls of Bangla and Pattaya, it's their choice, and often is done because people mean well. The intent is good, but it is still silly.

Have you ever noticed that Indians, Arabs and other Asian visitors never wai the Thais. Think about it. Ever wonder why? Maybe these people understand social castes much better than westerners. And please don't say that westerners live in a land of equality, because western countries have their own form of a caste system.

Good post. Similar to many farang I hear tipping barbers - meaning well but looking stupid.

Answer:

Because they think a wai is simply a gesture to say hello/goodbye, and know nothing of its actual meaning.

It's kinda cute really.

You hit it right on the nail, it would be kinda cute to a cupcake like you ay. wub.png

I've a very simple question for people who think prostitute is a job just like any other job.

If you have a daughter, you will probably have no problem that she does some babysitting for your neighbors in order to make some pocket money. Will it be ok with you if she offers sexual favors in exchange of money to your friends and neighbors ?

Edited by JurgenG

OP - they are not embarrassing themsleves are they are ignorant of the wai. I was sitting in a bar/restaurant last night when a beggar girl came round the tables selling something. An ignorant farang waied her.

I see them walking into restaurants and waiing waitresses.

Waiing bargirls is of course ridiculous.

If the waitress waiing when you enter or leave, you answer the wai, or at least respond to it with a smile or sawadikrap.

My wife, who is very conservative from a conservative family is doing that. Actually more exactly and correct to servants than to people of the same level, to show you appreciate their service.

For bar girls you usually pretend to don't know that they are prostitutes.....

• Like 1

It fuels contempt and a lack of respect. Thailand is still a class driven society and one must respect those social customs. This does not mean that one cannot give a smile and a nod. On the contrary, that is the appropriate response and acknowledgement of a person showing respect. It is the polite thing to do. It is politeness that matters, even with a hooker. Saying khrap and a smile goes much further than a wai to those of a lower caste. On the other hand if some people wai the bargirls of Bangla and Pattaya, it's their choice, and often is done because people mean well. The intent is good, but it is still silly.

Have you ever noticed that Indians, Arabs and other Asian visitors never wai the Thais. Think about it. Ever wonder why? Maybe these people understand social castes much better than westerners. And please don't say that westerners live in a land of equality, because western countries have their own form of a caste system.

Good post. Similar to many farang I hear tipping barbers - meaning well but looking stupid.

my wife who is Thai always tipping the barber.

Perhaps they see qualities that people overly concerned with social standing miss

Like what for example?

Let me just say, the OP is clearly ignorant and I think this post is shameful.

Hookers just like everyone else are people. This is a very poor country and people have to do what is necessary to provide for themselves.

Maybe if the OP had found himself in different circumstances in his life he wouldn't be so thoughtless with his words.

People are people, regardless of what they do to make ends meet.

You should be judging the person on who they are, not what they do to put food on the table.

Unless you know the "hooker" personally, you are in not position do determine whether they deserve a wai or not.

The OP has a lot to learn.

Total nonsense - you obviously are new to Thailand or live in Pattaya. Learn about the art of waiing.

Would you wia the person in 7/11?

Would you wai a maid?

Would you wai the construction worker? I've a lot more respect for them than greedy lazy bargirls who take the easy way out.

my wife who is Thai always tipping the barber.

Your wife uses a barber or you can't go the barber yourself?

Edited by Johnniey

Like what for example?

Humility. Compassion.

Maybe they're not embarrassed to wai others, regardless of your opinion, but cringe in shame when their fellows flaunt prejudice and bigotry.

SC

• Like 1