Leather Sewing In Bangkok, Where?

I already posted this topic in the Bangkok forum but maybe I'll get more replies here.

I am looking for a place to make leather bags for commercial purpose in moderate quantities.

Already was in touch with some leather shops to require about that but they are usually reluctant to cooperate.

Can anybody direct me to a place of a sort? it would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance.

There is a small leather shop off Sukhumvit 12. Go down 12 till you get to the large Population Development building on the right and a small restaurant on the corner of a subsoi on the left. Take that subsoi and the leather crafter is about 75 yds on the right. It looks like a one man operation so he may not be up for any production in quantity but I do know that he does very good work.

There is a small leather shop off Sukhumvit 12. Go down 12 till you get to the large Population Development building on the right and a small restaurant on the corner of a subsoi on the left. Take that subsoi and the leather crafter is about 75 yds on the right. It looks like a one man operation so he may not be up for any production in quantity but I do know that he does very good work.

Thank you for the information, although I mean 20-30 pieces a day. He night not be up to it but I'll check it out.

I think I saw your post in the other thread, and someone suggested the area near Wongwien Yai (near the BTS station across the river). Did you check that out? There are leather and sewing shops galore in the sois on the north side, toward Robinson from the BTS.

Also, you say that the places you have contacted are 'reluctant to cooperate', but I have yet to meet any business owner who doesn't want to make money. Do you speak Thai? Can you negotiate effectively in Thai? My experience is that Thais will often not want to risk the loss of face that comes with trying to communicate with non-Thai speakers. Maybe take someone (a Thai) with you to help communicate.

Sorry if you are a fluent Thai speaker. Maybe it would be more helpful if you told us a bit more.

I think I saw your post in the other thread, and someone suggested the area near Wongwien Yai (near the BTS station across the river). Did you check that out? There are leather and sewing shops galore in the sois on the north side, toward Robinson from the BTS.

Also, you say that the places you have contacted are 'reluctant to cooperate', but I have yet to meet any business owner who doesn't want to make money. Do you speak Thai? Can you negotiate effectively in Thai? My experience is that Thais will often not want to risk the loss of face that comes with trying to communicate with non-Thai speakers. Maybe take someone (a Thai) with you to help communicate.

Sorry if you are a fluent Thai speaker. Maybe it would be more helpful if you told us a bit more.

"Reluctant to cooperate" was an overall expression.

I did go to Wongwanyai. I found a good leather shop who gave me 3 phone numbers. One was a mediator which I wasn't interested. One was a nice family who quated me a price, but when I had questions asked, over e-mail, that was the end of conversation. I did try a few times. I asked a question about the price, because I had more models to come and had to calculate my overall cost, I also explained it. But no more communication. It gave me a feeling that pride is playing a role, and I can't risk working with pride moods. Another one only excepts orders by the thousands. and the last one is still an option, I wouldn't want to stretch out here the story but also under difficult conditions.

I didn't know about leather sewing places in Wongwanyai, and was strolling there a lot. Maybe not in the right sois.

Do you me on Chareon rat road?

I speak a little Thai, was fine until now.

If you know more specifically about those places please let me know.

Sorry I don't have more specific info - just having seen quite a few leather shops along Chareon Rat, and in the smaller sois too.

As far as 'pride mood' goes, I suggest that you need to learn a bit more about how Thais do business. This is not a slam against you, but these little snags in communication can be deal breakers if you speak Thai 'a little'. Get some experienced help, and be sure to show your appreciation. You'll get it done.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

Sorry I don't have more specific info - just having seen quite a few leather shops along Chareon Rat, and in the smaller sois too.

As far as 'pride mood' goes, I suggest that you need to learn a bit more about how Thais do business. This is not a slam against you, but these little snags in communication can be deal breakers if you speak Thai 'a little'. Get some experienced help, and be sure to show your appreciation. You'll get it done.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.

I am sure I'm not familiar with the thai way of doing business. The people I'm talking about do speak a very good English, but are very Thai. They gave me a double price of what I already checked and familiar with the prices. I just wanted to know if the price is high because of a specific model or a small quantity. We did communicate about other subjects very nicely but when it came to "those" questions again... no response... and that's after trying to convince them I do want to work with them and I think we can have a wonderful working terms. still no answer. I approached them three times. no response. I really don't understand, but I think that if questions are not alowed, maybe not good to work with them after all.

As far as "reluctant to cooperate" I meant that the leather shops are not happy to refer me to a sewing place (English is not my native language, I don't know how to call it, upholstery maybe?). I'm sure they sell the leather to places who make products of leather. There was only one shop who referred me to 3 places, but when I came back for more, they were not happy to give more. I think it's a Thai way, I don't understand the reason, but I'll keep looking.

After strolling around all over Bangkok and after speaking to people around, I realize that leather sewing factories are mostly out of Bangkok.

So, excuse me for being so tenacious, but maybe someone knows about a place of a sort in the outskirt of Bangkok?

Please let me know, will appreciate it so much!