So I Was Cruising Along On My 'Cycle Today In Jomtien, And.........

Deaw

One of the boys in brown pulls me over, at the police box just before the southern Beach Road ends, in front of the Sigma Hotel.

Not my bike, it was rented, but I had the paperwork and also had a helmet on; when he asked for my license I handed him my New York one as I don't have an international drivers license. I live on Phangan and they never ask for that, they rarely even stop people for helmet violations, so I have never gotten one.

The guy starts telling me 500 baht for not having a license. I tell him "song loi" to make him go away but he says no and shows me some half-ass list in his small police box office which has the rates for various offenses. OK, it does say 500, so I hand him the 500B; which he promptly stuffs in his pocket and hands me my license back.

Now I say "receipt?" and he looks all flustered and points to my license and waves his hand - as if, you've gotten that back, now go - and I say again; "receipt"? Once again - "receipt", now making the sign of a pen across paper. Nope, he can't produce one.

Now he's pissed off.....and his equally-shady partner, who has pulled over another falang and is worried they might lose another bribe with me bitching and moaning about receipts, wants me out of there asap; he has stopped talking to his pullover by now and both of them are motioning for me to get lost, but I'm going nowhere without my receipt.

Now he takes out a ticket book, fills it out and essentially throws it at me, grabs back my license and gives me my 500 baht back. Now his english, which was a total of NONE before that, suddenly gets a little better; "You go police station, pay fine, come back you get this back" and he gives me some convoluted half-ass directions to the station. Figuring I would now just surely pay the 500 and let it all drop, he figured wrong; I went to the police station, which was not easy to find and took me about 20 minutes.

Nice people there, and they have a sign right out front which says "We take complaints 24 hours a day". Cool. So I get my ticket processed and pay the 300, not 500, baht fine, and I get what I wanted in the first place; a signed RECEIPT. And, at least some minor satisfaction knowing the money is now going to the town of Jomtien and not to some little creep robbing people on Beach road.

I ask for their Boss, telling them I have a complaint. Some detective-looking guy now comes around, and 2 other cops, all of whom speak decent English. I describe exactly what happened, motioning again and again that the corrupt little nobody on beach road took my 500B and put in in his pocket and I got no receipt for it - that, basically, he was robbing tourists on Beach road and the money was going to him and not to the town. The detective guy and his 2 buddies seemed to take me at least a little bit seriously and he took out his phone and made a couple calls, and I thanked them all and left. Went back to the police box, retrieved my license, and showed that guy the receipt; I pointed right at the 300, said "Sam loi" and drove off. Man, was he ever agitated. Good.

Now, I figure 3 possible outcomes can come from this waste of 30 minutes of my life;

1} Nothing. But at the very least that little man lost some massive face to me, and we all know how important that is to Thai people.

2} The 3 coppers all chatting about my complaint; at least one told the corrupt midget, maybe even all 3, and he has now lost face with them as well, and maybe word even got around the station and some people had a laugh at his expense. Awesome!

3} Most unlikely, of course, since surely someone up the line is getting part of these thefts from the beach road police box; his superiors let him know someone complained, and that he had better watch his arse in the future when stealing from tourists because some may complain. And he then lost face with someone up the food chain; which would make the 10 dollar/30 minute loss totally worth it.

Just another day in the Kingdom!

• Like 2

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are wrong....lost face isn't that important to low lifes in Thailand. Only lost money is....And you gave him that.....

No I didn't, read again...... the town got it, not him

I didn't realize you couldn't ride a rented motorbike with a NY license.

I was pulled over a month ago in Pattaya proper; same deal, they want to see a helmet, a registration, and a drivers license. For falangs, it must be an international license; truthfully, I don't know even one person who has this and I know a lot of expats.

I got a 200B fine that day, with a receipt, and there were cops everywhere, it was a road block for ALL motorcycles.....they do it whenever they need to raise some funds for the policeman's benevolent society :(

Has any parnoid person told you he is gonna get you yet ?

not sure what parnoid means, has anyone ever told you to learn English?

Either that or you're just some wise guy wrongly thinking you are making a witty comment which actually makes no sense in relation to this post.

Short version; a corrupt cop tried to steal from me today and I complained to his superiors - does that make it easier for your brain to process?

• Like 1

Either that or you're just some wise guy wrongly thinking you are making a witty comment which actually makes no sense in relation to this post.

Short version; a corrupt cop tried to steal from me today and I complained to his superiors - does that make it easier for your brain to process?

i think he is trying to say is the cop going to get you, revenge

biggrin.png

Oooops, my apologies.....thought you were saying *I* am somehow paranoid for starting the whole thread.

In any case the copper has no way to find me [save for the license plate on the rented bike, now turned in] and I am staying about 10 miles from there, I will never see that guy again; thank God.

You broke the law and are making a mountain out of a molehill.

You'll be miserable here if you can't accept the way things are done here.

You are stupid if you think you can change things.

And all that crap about loss of face. You are the one that they(and I) are all laughing at.

Driving without a license is stupid - you deserve a lot more sever punishment.

Assuming you live here, why haven't you got a Thai license or an International Drivers Permit?

Is it legal to drive here on a NY License?? Not having the correct driving permit will affect your insurance!

Why put yourself in that situation...

Yes, I live here 1/2 of every year, sometimes more, but again I live on Koh Phangan and we never have police pullovers for no reason. Once in a very blue moon they will set up road blocks and ticket people with no helmets, usually when they need to raise some cash. Pay the 200 and on your way, never once have I or anyone I know been asked for a license.

If today's incident did nothing else it reminded me that I need to get one eventually, at least for the times I leave KPG.

• Like 1

Oooops, my apologies.....thought you were saying *I* am somehow paranoid for starting the whole thread.

In any case the copper has no way to find me [save for the license plate on the rented bike, now turned in] and I am staying about 10 miles from there, I will never see that guy again; thank God.

thumbsup.gif No probs. Just a line trotted out on every thread when Thai loses face.

Another Don Quixote fighting corruption in Thailand!coffee1.gif And in your naivity actually believing that the receipt is a guarentee for the money going to the local muncipality. Dream on and keep your NY-license as you will not last long here.

• Like 2

So, how often will they fine you the 300b, every day until you get a Thai license ? As the OP has likely managed to get himself on the ticketing shortlist, the whatwasit 130b? local license would pay off in half a day.

Driving without a license is stupid - you deserve a lot more sever punishment.

OK, i get it.....although I disagree that no one else loss face today - you weren't there and you didn't see how angry that cop was that he lost out on the 500 baht.

But let me ask you something; for the people who don't live here and come over on just a 2 week holiday from Yemen or Russia or the UK; each and every one of them should be getting an international drivers permit?

I would guess that based on the tourists I see around Pattaya renting 'cycles, and on the lineup of 30 guilty farangs at the Pattaya road block I hit last month- just a guess here of course, but I would say maybe 10% actually have one. So I am thinking I am far from the only one and as I say no one I know has one.

the whatwasit 130b? local license would pay off in half a day.

Please tell me where to get this; I will buy one tomorrow, no joke.

Keep in mind I don't live here full-time, only during high seasons.

I am in Pattaya south - Thank you!

Another Don Quixote fighting corruption in Thailand!coffee1.gif And in your naivity actually believing that the receipt is a guarentee for the money going to the local muncipality. Dream on and keep your NY-license as you will not last long here.

LOL, going on 14 years............first visit was 1998....been doing 1/2 years since 2002; I think I will be here a while more too, thanks.

Edited by Deaw

Assuming you live here, why haven't you got a Thai license or an International Drivers Permit?

Is it legal to drive here on a NY License?? Not having the correct driving permit will affect your insurance!

Yes, I live here 1/2 of every year, sometimes more, but again I live on Koh Phangan and we never have police pullovers for no reason. Once in a very blue moon they will set up road blocks and ticket people with no helmets, usually when they need to raise some cash. Pay the 200 and on your way, never once have I or anyone I know been asked for a license.

If today's incident did nothing else it reminded me that I need to get one eventually, at least for the times I leave KPG.

If you live here 6mths + every year why not put yourself out and get legal, saves more bother than it causes it's also a useful photo I/D. I don't see checking driving licenses and people without helmets as no reason!! It's the law.

Now whether the cop who stopped you was chancing his arm thats another thing but without the IDP you were not legal and presented him with an opportunity to chance his arm.

The big issue tho is the invalidity of your insurance should you be involved in an accident by simply not having the correct license.

I wear a helmet because if or when I have an accident ( and if you drive here on a regular basis the chances are it's only a matter of time) that will crack before my skull,even the cheap ones, but there are some farangs who complain about that too when pulled over without one. Would they drive a m/c in their own country without wearing one??

It's so easy to live here just obey the rules. I can just imagine what would happen if a foreigner is stopped in NY without the the correct permit.....and it would cost a dam_n site more as well.

Edited by Tafia
  • Like 1

If you live here 6mths + every year why not put yourself out and get legal, saves more bother than it causes it's also a useful photo I/D. I don't see checking driving licenses and people without helmets as no reason!!

The big issue tho is the invalidity of your insurance should you be involved in an accident by simply not having the correct license.

I wear a helmet because if or when I have an accident ( and if you drive here on a regular basis the chances are it's only a matter of time) that will crack before my skull,even the cheap ones, but there are some farangs who complain about that too when pulled over without one. Would they drive a m/c in their own country without wearing one??

It's so easy to live here just obey the rules. I can just imagine what would happen if a foreigner is stopped in NY without the the correct permit.....and it would cost a dam_n site more as well.

If the rules here were anything like NY, nobody would be here. I've been here 7 years without a Thai license. I've never been stopped for any reason. I've been lucky obviously and it's time to get the license.

Yes, very valid point....some NY state trooper would look at the Thai license, have a good laugh and throw the guy in the back of his squad car! So by comparison I got off very lightly.

Please understand that where I usually live it's pretty lawless; Phangan has a very small police force, only about 10 of them actually wear uniforms, so everyone including myself ends up getting careless; driving with no helmet, no license, no paperwork, no shirts, etc.....because there is no fear of ever being pulled over. I am in Pattaya now and the laws are much more strict.

I think some readers may be misunderstanding the whole point of my thread, also. I get the system here in Thailand, I really do! I even offered the guy 200 baht in 'tea money' but he said no. So when he went to 500, I simply wanted a receipt! He showed me a legal book with the prices in it for the fines, and it said 500 for no license....OK, so then I happily handed him that, I totally admit I was in the wrong....now why can't I just get a simple receipt like I got in Pattaya last time? It's all I wanted!

If the rules here were anything like NY, nobody would be here. I've been here 7 years without a Thai license. I've never been stopped for any reason. I've been lucky obviously and it's time to get the license.

Yep Lucky I guess, but why risk your insurance?

It's easier to live by the rules than to fall foul and then complain on here....cheaper too!!

Yes, very valid point....some NY state trooper would look at the Thai license, have a good laugh and throw the guy in the back of his squad car! So by comparison I got off very lightly.

Please understand that where I usually live it's pretty lawless; Phangan has a very small police force, only about 10 of them actually wear uniforms, so everyone including myself ends up getting careless; driving with no helmet, no license, no paperwork, no shirts, etc.....because there is no fear of ever being pulled over. I am in Pattaya now and the laws are much more strict.

I think some readers may be misunderstanding the whole point of my thread, also. I get the system here in Thailand, I really do! I even offered the guy 200 baht in 'tea money' but he said no. So when he went to 500, I simply wanted a receipt! He showed me a legal book with the prices in it for the fines, and it said 500 for no license....OK, so then I happily handed him that, I totally admit I was in the wrong....now why can't I just get a simple receipt like I got in Pattaya last time? It's all I wanted!

I hear what you say, but would you do it in your own country? Probably not, so why do it here? Each province has its own ways, Im up in Udon, police checks out almost daily, including occasional breathalyser checks and Thais are the main targets.

The issue for me is Insurance, what happens when you have an accident knock someone over or dare I say even kill someone?

Then the small force you mention on Phangan will come into their own.

You were wrong and so was he...so why start the fight over what amounts to a few $$........ Get Legal and save the grief.

Edited by Tafia

you are wrong....lost face isn't that important to low lifes in Thailand. Only lost money is....And you gave him that.....

No I didn't, read again...... the town got it, not him

Sorry......my fault....I wanted to write that you gave him that feeling of lost money......but got distracted and wrote some nonsense crazy.gif

• Like 2

the whatwasit 130b? local license would pay off in half a day.

Please tell me where to get this; I will buy one tomorrow, no joke.

Keep in mind I don't live here full-time, only during high seasons.

I am in Pattaya south - Thank you!

The department of Land Transport for Chonburi is located near the Regents school on highway 26 to Rayong. You'll need (the last I checked, a few years ago) a non immigrant visa and a proof of residence from immigration. Search this forum for more details.

I didn't realize you couldn't ride a rented motorbike with a NY license.

I was pulled over a month ago in Pattaya proper; same deal, they want to see a helmet, a registration, and a drivers license. For falangs, it must be an international license; truthfully, I don't know even one person who has this and I know a lot of expats.

I got a 200B fine that day, with a receipt, and there were cops everywhere, it was a road block for ALL motorcycles.....they do it whenever they need to raise some funds for the policeman's benevolent society sad.png

Not true, the cops will accept a local Thai licence if you don't have an in international licence, which you should always have if you don't have a local license.