So I Was Cruising Along On My 'Cycle Today In Jomtien, And.........

Deaw

I agree of course, which is why I held my ground!

My faith in humanity is restored the longer I read my own thread, thanks......guys like you and Nomad understand my point; by the time I realized I was being scammed by that clown I stood my ground and he caved; and lost 500 baht from his pocket, which I assure you he did NOT deserve. The earlier posters were all ripping on ME, as if I did something wrong by trying to expose a crooked cop....I especially had a good laugh at the guy who said I am naive and would never last in Thailand; funny, I've been coming here for 14 years and have lived here off and on the past 10 and seem to be doing just fine, and if the same thing happened today I would do the exact same thing.

It's those keyboard heroes and know-it-alls who make this place unappealing and it's the main reason most of my friends don't even bother reading here, but most of the people in this thread seem to "get it" and make me realize I did the proper thing indeed. Thanks again.

You think that you actually made a point? Really? Let's recap; You have been coming to Thailand for years and see no need to comply with the drivers license regulations and then you get upset because of the 500 baht incident. Well, first off, you are a criminal. That's right a criminal. You didn't inadvertently break the law, but you intentionally broke the law, because you don't think the law applies to you with your very important NY drivers license. What's the difference between you, a law breaker and the copper that you allege broke the law? You are lucky you are in Thailand, because if you were driving without a legal license in NY State, your vehcile can be impounded on the spot. The fines and penalties in NY for your illegal behaviour are much more harsh than in Thailand.

I still don't understand why you think you do not have to comply with the lcoial licensing laws? What makes you so special? Why are you any different than the copper? You must be a very wealthy man to have no concern as to the ramifications of illegally operating a motor vehicle. Your insurance is invalidated.

If he has a valid US drivers license then he can legally drive in Thailand. What's all this criminal talk? The IDP the thai cops want to see is just a translated copy of your home license that MUST accompany your actual DL. It's not something you can get on it's own. It makes it so if your license it written in a foreign language (like russian) then the local police can read a translation and see you have handled them a DL and not your library card.

If the OP wants to make things easy on him self then the best choice is to get the Thai DL as it has many benefits and it's dirt cheap. The 2nd best course is to get a IDP in the US. Any AAA office can sell you one (of course you have to have a valid US DL). You can also get one from The national auto club.

fwiw, I've had a legit IDP before and I don't even think that Thai is one of the languages in the booklet. But that's neither here nor there. Most of these thai cops don't give 2 sh!ts about the law. They just want money.

I applaud you for stopping that dirty cop from taking your 500thb for his pocket.

Edited by Jayman

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NomadJoe was talking about tourists in California.

No, here.....and many people agreed with him; seems like a US license [or whatever country you come from] works fine in Thailand as long as you remain a tourist and don't become a resident. Seems implausible to me as well, but he seems to know his stuff and others backed him up.

They just set a certain time frame for getting a license, and im pretty sure half a year does not make you a tourist.

Other point you famous NC license is it for motorcycles ?

• Like 1

Daew,

After 3 months of being here you need a Thai drivers license. That is the time frame they set. So Nomad Joe was wrong and kid and me were right. You were in the wrong.

I do wonder how they check how long you been in country ect. But by your own admittance you are wrong.

• Like 1

No, here.....and many people agreed with him; seems like a US license [or whatever country you come from] works fine in Thailand as long as you remain a tourist and don't become a resident. Seems implausible to me as well, but he seems to know his stuff and others backed him up.

Like I said earlier getting a Thai license is so easy, as for speaking the language if you even had to sit the test (which you wont as you have a m/c license) it's in English......

and I reiterate, my concern would be the validity of your insurance and as all insurance companys are notorious worldwide for getting out of paying up if they can find a loop hole why dont you just save yourself the grief. You say you are a tourist but if you are coming here 6-7 mths a year your passport may be the loophole they need not to pay out. Its the same with these guys who drive on the Thai compulsory insurance, not worth the paper it's written on. Do your homework!!

All you have had on here is advice from guys who have had different experiences within different provinces. You saw the post of the guy who says he shows a tesco card in Issan it's <deleted> mate I've lived in and driven around Issan for 4 yrs and they know the difference between whats legal and acceptable and whats not. Many posters come on with the bravado I showed them told them etc..keyboard cowboys are like bar room lawyers take their advice at your peril!!

Get a license and then all the problems disappear, but you still seem hell bent on 'why should I' Lets just pray you don't have a serious accident mate or worse still seriously injure someone.

Edited by Tafia

You are incorrect.

Your NY license only works fine if it is accompanied by a valid IDP. The international drivers permit isn't a license but an attestation that your home jurisdiction license is valid at the time of its issuance.

Still don't believe me, then will you believe the official position of the Thai government as published by various Thai consulates?

Here is the Thai UK consul's statement;

An International Driving Licence is required for most foreign persons wishing to drive in Thailand and must be accompanied by the Driving Licence issued to them in their country of nationality or residence. A foreigner is allowed to drive in Thailand for up to 6 months on an International Driving Licence after which they must obtain a Thai Driving Licence.

You did not have an IDP. You drove a motor vehicle. You therefore committed an illegal act.

Are you aware that if one enters into a contract under false pretense that one loses protection under the law? Have you ever read a vehicle rental contract? I guarantee that buried in the fine print in Thai is that the rental driver must be legally permited to drive in Thailand. Most of the tourists renting vehicles in Thailand never read the rental contract and are oblivious. If and when they have to contest the provisions of the rental contract when there is a collision they are SOL if they were not legally allowed to drive and were driving the vehicle at the time of the crash. The DMV rules for California or NY State do not matter in Thailand. What matters are the applicable Thai laws.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

I actually ever tried to look this up - that is how bored I am at work today...

On Gt-Rider there is a sticky thread with the Land Transport Act and Motor Vehicle Act translated into English. It says you need an International Drivers Permit... a link to this...

http://www.bkkriders.com/law/landtraffic.html

The same thread also links to this;

http://www.bkkriders.com/law/motorvehicle.html

Google came up with this document, which is also a translation of the Land Traffic Act,

and another version is here... http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

neither Land Traffic Act version referrs to licensing or International Drivers Permit...

I couldn't find a second version of the Motor Traffic Act, and I don't know how up to date the version on BKKriders is...

It refers only to an International Drivers Permit, not to any other countries licence being valid... in fact, read as interpretted, it does not say that even an International Drivers Permit, issued overseas, is valid, but that you can apply of an International Drivers Permit...

Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle must apply for a driver's license according to following categories:

1. Temporary license for a private car, three-wheeled car, or motorcycle

2. License for a private car

3. License for a private three-wheeled car

4. License for a public car

5. License for a public three-wheeled car

6. License for a motorcycle

7. License for a roller car

8. License for a tractor

9. License for a motor vehicle not specified in 1. - 8.

10. International Driving Permit for a car or motorcycle

So I have been no help at all... you're welcome...

Well, if he's right, why were you fined? blink.png

• Like 1

I would really like to know exactly what is in Thai Law, and have a copy that I could show the BiB... (as in, direct from the Act, in English and Thai)...

Here in Aus, an IDP is issued by the state based Auto Clubs... they are expensive, and what really gets up my nose is that they charge you double if you aren't a member... and I have no other need to be a member...

I wonder if there is a thread elsewhere on Thai Visa about Dual Pricing???

Edited by Daewoo

I would really like to know exactly what is in Thai Law, and have a copy that I could show the BiB... (as in, direct from the Act, in English and Thai)...

Here in Aus, an IDP is issued by the state based Auto Clubs... they are expensive, and what really gets up my nose is that they charge you double if you aren't a member... and I have no other need to be a member...

Just get a license or an IDP and you wont have to worry about all this other stuff. Should you do it and see how easy it is you will wonder why you bogged yourself down with all this other crap.

So good luck.

Edited by Tafia

Just get a license and you wont have to worry about all this other stuff. Should you do it and see how easy it is you will wonder why you bogged yourself down with all this other crap.

Seems you are still hell bent on doing it 'your way' it's coming across as your itching for a fight with the authorities...there will only be one winner mate!!

So good luck.

I am not the OP...

I am not eligible for a Thai licence, as I am not a resident and wouldn't be able to provide any evidence that would say I am... I am a (frequent) tourists who enters on 30 day stamps, or tourist visa's...

I usually come to Thailand with the sole purpose of motorcycle touring, and don't want any hassles.... once I paid for an IDP, but generally, hope to just get way with an Aussie licence, and fine on the side of the road... I would need to be fined 4 times each trip to cover the cost of the IDP...

Just get a license or an IDP and you wont have to worry about all this other stuff. Should you do it and see how easy it is you will wonder why you bogged yourself down with all this other crap.

I am not the OP...

I am not eligible for a Thai licence, as I am not a resident and wouldn't be able to provide any evidence that would say I am... I am a (frequent) tourists who enters on 30 day stamps, or tourist visa's...

I usually come to Thailand with the sole purpose of motorcycle touring, and don't want any hassles.... once I paid for an IDP, but generally, hope to just get way with an Aussie licence, and fine on the side of the road... I would need to be fined 4 times each trip to cover the cost of the IDP...

Well you are as irresponsible as him.

What about the insurance?? You come here specifically for motorbike touring and don't have the necessary and correct licence or permits Jeez mate talk about irresponsible are fool hardy!! Would you do that in your own country?

Accident happen frequently in Thailand. No valid licence = No Insurance!! ........

that will cost you a hell of a lot more than the cost of an IDP

Edited by Tafia

My understanding is that third party injury insurance is included in the registration of the bike (rental shops responsibility)... and it is not subject to the licence of the rider (since many Thai Nationals also don't have a licence, and to make that a criteria would disadvantage the injured party)...

There is no insurance on the bike... There is no insurance to cover damage to other vehicles... the rental shops don't buy insurance, so that is my own risk, regardless of whether I have an IDP or not...

I have travel insurance to cover my own medical expenses... It is dependent upon me being licenced to ride in Australia, not in Thailand...

When I have hired a car in Thailand, I also bought an IDP, because in that case, Travel Insurance covers the excess on the Hire Company insurance policy... Insurance for Motorbikes are not covered by travel insurance...

The financial risk of crashing whilst riding in Thailand is something that I understand and accept... and isn't impacted upon by whether or not I have an IDP...

Many on here have stated that an Photo licence in English Language is all that is required, not an IDP... I would like to know where that comes from, because personally, I think those people are applying EU Law, US Law, Australian Law to Thailand, and I have never seen evidence that it is the law in Thailand...

One of the boys in brown pulls me over, at the police box just before the southern Beach Road ends, in front of the Sigma Hotel.

<snip 47 unnecessary lines of text>

Just another day in the Kingdom!

Well done man I've done this before although it took more than and hour but I went away with a smile so for me it was all worth it ..

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I am now convinced that the ThaiVisa app must have a feature which lets you quote the entire OP, as all you guys using it keep doing that.

Edited by NomadJoe

Deaw, that 30 minutes out of your day was certainly not wasted. You just did your little bit to make corrupt idiot cops have a harder time, and also taught quite a few TV readers what to do if in the same situation.

If many more did as you did, scammers wouldn't be quite so blasen about what they try. Sometimes we make it too easy to be a target.

I agree of course, which is why I held my ground!

My faith in humanity is restored the longer I read my own thread, thanks......guys like you and Nomad understand my point; by the time I realized I was being scammed by that clown I stood my ground and he caved; and lost 500 baht from his pocket, which I assure you he did NOT deserve. The earlier posters were all ripping on ME, as if I did something wrong by trying to expose a crooked cop....I especially had a good laugh at the guy who said I am naive and would never last in Thailand; funny, I've been coming here for 14 years and have lived here off and on the past 10 and seem to be doing just fine, and if the same thing happened today I would do the exact same thing.

It's those keyboard heroes and know-it-alls who make this place unappealing and it's the main reason most of my friends don't even bother reading here, but most of the people in this thread seem to "get it" and make me realize I did the proper thing indeed. Thanks again.

OP good that you stand your ground and save yourself some money in the process.

What I don't understand is why on earth don't you have a Thai licence? I have the 5 years ones for both car/bike and they saved me a lot of money getting in many places for Thai price. No later than last Saturday they saved me 250 bath for going in UnderWater World Pattaya (Tourists=500 bath, Thais/expats= 250 bath).

Furthermore if you have a bike/car accident and you show them a US licence you are fuxxxx big time and you will be blamed.

I actually got stopped on my bike exately same place as you and also on a Sunday but when I showed him Thai licence/copy green book, he told me OK you can go(he didn't smile). Maybe this cop uses this place as his little extra money earner, many Russians coming on bike with no bike licences whatsoever and likely just pay up to avoid trouble.

He let you go because some a**hole farang had just made a complaint and got him in trouble/made him lose face!! lol

see, I am in the same boat.....all these people telling me I MUST get a local drivers license or telling me I was crazy for not having one on me yesterday seem to believe I live here full-time; I don't. yes, I DO come here more than you, but I am rarely in the country for more than 90 or 100 days before going to the states [where I AM a resident] and then I come back, generally about half of every year. I hate winters, plain and simple.

here longer this year, clear into July, but same deal; I am not a resident, just a tourist.

Man, with all these differing opinions I am more confused than ever now about the legality of all this. But I will still be looking into getting a local drivers license upon my return in high season, probably on Samui.

Edited by Deaw

He let you go because some a**hole farang had just made a complaint and got him in trouble/made him lose face!! lol

Funny, according to super-intelligent poster Johnniey *I* was the only one who lost face yesterday crazy.gif

Exactly how is still a mystery......if he or anyone else could have seen how angry that little runt was for losing that 15 bucks they'd know who lost face; and it surely wasn't me.

• Like 1

My understanding is that third party injury insurance is included in the registration of the bike (rental shops responsibility)... and it is not subject to the licence of the rider (since many Thai Nationals also don't have a licence, and to make that a criteria would disadvantage the injured party)...

There is no insurance on the bike... There is no insurance to cover damage to other vehicles... the rental shops don't buy insurance, so that is my own risk, regardless of whether I have an IDP or not...

I have travel insurance to cover my own medical expenses... It is dependent upon me being licenced to ride in Australia, not in Thailand...

When I have hired a car in Thailand, I also bought an IDP, because in that case, Travel Insurance covers the excess on the Hire Company insurance policy... Insurance for Motorbikes are not covered by travel insurance...

The financial risk of crashing whilst riding in Thailand is something that I understand and accept... and isn't impacted upon by whether or not I have an IDP...

Many on here have stated that an Photo licence in English Language is all that is required, not an IDP... I would like to know where that comes from, because personally, I think those people are applying EU Law, US Law, Australian Law to Thailand, and I have never seen evidence that it is the law in Thailand...

The compulsory insurance (CPTL) that is part of the road tax is what you are talking about in your first paragraph. Forget about this being of any value to a foreigner in Thailand, especially a tourist. It is a 3rd party liability insurance only. It only covers the other guy, not you.

RE your second line.."There is no insurance on the bike... There is no insurance to cover damage to other vehicles... the rental shops don't buy insurance,"

Third party insurance (Viriyah, Lockton, ThaiSri etc.) may or may not be included when you rent a car or bike in Thailand. Most the places I know do cover their vehicles/motorcycles. In the event of a crash, your deposit will be kept and you will probably be asked to pay a daily rental rate for each day the vehicle is being repaired (which will be stretched out longer than necessary - this info was told to me directly from a repair shop manager) and you will not get your passport back until you have paid the owner whatever they decide it's going to cost them, that's of course if you gave it to them, which you should never do. The police often get involved inmediating if there is a dispute.

RE: also in your second line "..regardless of whether I have an IDP or not..." Is true about the IDP, as you don't need an IDP in Thailand. Of course it doesn't hurt, as long as you buy one legitimatly, not online. Which brings me to my next point...

When you say you "bought an IDP" can you elaborate on that? You mean you bought an IDP in Thailand? What does IDP mean to you?

Insurance for motorbikes can be covered by travel insurance. Depends on your policy. You can ask for this specifically. Read the small print. Also clarify if an IDP is required. In the policy it will state only that you must be legally licensed to ride the type of vehicle you are riding.

Regarding your last question, the statment that an IDP is not needed in Thailand comes from many places. All the lists you find of the UN Traffic Act will say you do nned one, and that may have been true years ago, but that does not reflect the current situation on the ground in Thailand. Police in Thailand do not enforce UN acts, they enforce Thai law as it is defined by them and the courts.

As I stated earlier, ranking police officials have puplicaly stated that a home license in English and with a photo is already an international license valid for a tourist in Thailand. This is why without exception, cops accept them, insurance company's accept them, and rental car companies accept them. Go ahead and call any Thai insurance company or rental company and see if you can get one of them to say you need an IDP. You can't. If you ask any cop if you can drive on your home license in English with a photo as a tourist, they will tell you you can.

One good point made here which I will have to follow up on is whether travel insurence bought in your home country, and which covers motorcycle/car accidents abroad, requires an IDP. Again I believe you will find that the wording will be something like "legally licensed to drive the class of vehicle driven in the foriegn country." Should be easy enough to confirm. I will report back.

• Like 2

The OP is so brave and even stupid...

He forgot number 4 and the beating in a dark alley or even the lost bullet in his head...

Some people believe that they are zorro or batman and might deserve the shit that happens...

see, I am in the same boat.....all these people telling me I MUST get a local drivers license or telling me I was crazy for not having one on me yesterday seem to believe I live here full-time; I don't. yes, I DO come here more than you, but I am rarely in the country for more than 90 or 100 days before going to the states [where I AM a resident] and then I come back, generally about half of every year. I hate winters, plain and simple.

here longer this year, clear into July, but same deal; I am not a resident, just a tourist.

Man, with all these differing opinions I am more confused than ever now about the legality of all this. But I will still be looking into getting a local drivers license upon my return in high season, probably on Samui.

The dizzying array of opinions is indeed confusing. If you ask 3 Thaivisa members a question about IDP's you'll get 4 opinions. I'll just say this, I hate credential droppers, but if I may be hippocryphal (not a word but should be) for a moment, I spent several years in law enforcement back home, and am now a volunteer with the Thai Highway Police. That doesn't mean much except I have a background on this stuff and have access to people who know it well and whom I have asked such questions. Also in my present job in Thailand I often deal with medical insurance for tourists, which also helps. But more importantly, I read and pay attention, especially when a top cop makes a comment about the necessity of IDP's in Thailand. I have also asked insurance companies and rental companies directly what they require and have always received the same response.

So, the culmination of my experience and research I has led me to conclude that without a doubt a home DL that is English with a photo is an international license in Thailand and a tourist can use it, no need for an IDP. Residents, whether foreign or Thai, need a Thai DL.

The OP is so brave and even stupid...

He forgot number 4 and the beating in a dark alley or even the lost bullet in his head...

Some people believe that they are zorro or batman and might deserve the shit that happens...

You have a vivid imagination. So not letting a cop rip you off is being "zorro" or "batman"? You set superhero bar pretty low. Deserves a bullet in the head? Wow. Yeah,you hear about cops beating and killing foreigners that make a citizen complaint against them all the time in Thailand. blink.png

One thing you are misguided about; the money would NEVER go into the pee-on cop's pocket. They are not there unsanctioned.

All tea monies go up the chain, and I mean all the way. That's how the police support themselves.

You scored one point today (good thing you had nothing better to do), but be careful in the future. One needs to know, in Thailand, how to read Thais good enough to know when the tipping point is.

Don't go past the tipping point.

• Like 1

The dizzying array of opinions is indeed confusing. If you ask 3 Thaivisa members a question about IDP's you'll get 4 opinions. I'll just say this, I hate credential droppers, but if I may be hippocryphal (not a word but should be) for a moment, I spent several years in law enforcement back home, and am now a volunteer with the Thai Highway Police. That doesn't mean much except I have a background on this stuff and have access to people who know it well and whom I have asked such questions. Also in my present job in Thailand I often deal with medical insurance for tourists, which also helps. But more importantly, I read and pay attention, especially when a top cop makes a comment about the necessity of IDP's in Thailand. I have also asked insurance companies and rental companies directly what they require and have always received the same response.

So, the culmination of my experience and research I has led me to conclude that without a doubt a home DL that is English with a photo is an international license in Thailand and a tourist can use it, no need for an IDP. Residents, whether foreign or Thai, need a Thai DL.

On various sites i have seen the 3 month mark.. stay more as 3 month in a row here and you need a Thai driving license.

On various sites i have seen the 3 month mark.. stay more as 3 month in a row here and you need a Thai driving license.

Yes I have seen this too. I think I know where that comes from. For most countries a tourist visa is valid 3 months if it is extended. Then you have to do a border bounce for the next entry (if a multiple entry) and the 3 months start again on both your visa and your ability to drive as a tourist on your home license "for up to 3 months". So by definition if you are here continuously (not left the country) for more than 3 months, then you must have a different type of visa, not a tourist visa, and thus are by default a resident. I can kind of see the logic actually. It's just how you look at it.

Edited by NomadJoe

Yes it all is fine and dandy,no problem at all do what you find best!!!I recently saw a young UK guy being scraped of the road,drunk,no helmet ,no license,all no problem.But very dead!!!I know his uncle and he told me the Uk insurance company did not want to pay anything because one or more rules were violated.

If you want to optain a valid Thai dl without doing any test you need your own license plus and idl with is available in your country

Just be smart and make sure all of your paperwork is in order and then some,why try to find out what the limits are?

If someone has been coming to this country for so long you would expect the know the rules and be streetwise.

But like they say over here;up to you!

• Like 1

Thanks Nomad Joe,

You have given me the impetus to research my Travel Insurance policy a bit deeper...

I understand that the included insurance is largely worthless, but I only wanted cover for the thrid parties medical... I hoped that perhaps the TI Public Liability might cover this, but it doesn't ;

LOSSES WE DO NOT COVER UNDER

SECTION 11 <public liability section>

We will not pay for a liability

(d) arising out of your ownership' date=' possession or use (including as

a passenger) of a mechanically propelled vehicle, or any aircraft

or watercraft;[/quote']

In my experience (and I have looked) none of the rental companies (in Chiang Mai) provide insurance for their 'big bikes', only their scooters... it would be great if they did, because that in itself is a 400,000 baht risk, and I wouldn't ride uninsured in Australia, where the riding isn't as high risk...

I only buy TI to cover my own medical costs, and the policy doesn't refer to local laws...

We will not pay a claim that arises directly or indirectly because of

any of the following:

1. A member of the travelling party:

(d) rides a motor cycle in excess of 100 cc (except as a pillion passenger)

without a licence that is valid in your country of residence;

To answer your question' date=' I bought my IDP from the only recognised issuer in NSW (Australia) the NRMA (our states 'AA'), so it is legit in any country that accepts an IDP... I bought it when I have been using hire cars, as in that case, the travel insurance covers the excess, and I didn't want to give them any excuse to get out (they are insurance companies after all), and because I would have my little kids with me, and didn't want anything bad to happen with cops on the side of the road....

Everything you wrote was going great until this...

Regarding your last question, the statment that an IDP is not needed in Thailand comes from many places. All the lists you find of the UN Traffic Act will say you do nned one, and that may have been true years ago, but that does not reflect the current situation on the ground in Thailand. Police in Thailand do not enforce UN acts, they enforce Thai law as it is defined by them and the courts.

As I stated earlier, ranking police officials have puplicaly stated that a home license in English and with a photo is already an international license valid for a tourist in Thailand. This is why without exception, cops accept them, insurance company's accept them, and rental car companies accept them. Go ahead and call any Thai insurance company or rental company and see if you can get one of them to say you need an IDP. You can't. If you ask any cop if you can drive on your home license in English with a photo as a tourist, they will tell you you can.

The UN Treaty only applies if Thailand is a signatory (I couldn't find evidence that they are)... and like you said, it is what is written in the Thai Law that matters (not even what Ranking Officials have stated in the media)...

I know that Thailand isn't like Australia, where the matter is specifically addressed in law, but I would love to dig up from somewhere the actual evidence... keep it with me, and never need to worry that I didn't worry about an IDP again...

If stopped on the side of the road, I would happily give the cop 500THB, get a photo with him with my thumbs up, and ride off... it is all part of the story for when I get home... What I don't want to happen is to have to go to a police station to pay a fine, and get screwed around...

If you want to optain a valid Thai dl without doing any test you need your own license plus and idl with is available in your country

When I got my ThaiDL (car and motorbike) just about 3 years ago, they did not ask for an IDP. (You meant to write IDP, as there is no such thing as an IDL in that regard) They only asked me to print out the California DMV webpage that described the classes (C and M1). I did not need and IDP, nor did I have to do the video, driving, or written test.

Edited by NomadJoe

Thanks Nomad Joe,

You have given me the impetus to research my Travel Insurance policy a bit deeper...

I understand that the included insurance is largely worthless, but I only wanted cover for the thrid parties medical... I hoped that perhaps the TI Public Liability might cover this, but it doesn't ;

'>https://tpos.qbe.com...HDWICWZ5U']

LOSSES WE DO NOT COVER UNDER

SECTION 11 <public liability section>

We will not pay for a liability

(d) arising out of your ownership' date=' possession or use (including as

a passenger) of a mechanically propelled vehicle, or any aircraft

or watercraft;[/quote']

In my experience (and I have looked) none of the rental companies (in Chiang Mai) provide insurance for their 'big bikes', only their scooters... it would be great if they did, because that in itself is a 400,000 baht risk, and I wouldn't ride uninsured in Australia, where the riding isn't as high risk...

I only buy TI to cover my own medical costs, and the policy doesn't refer to local laws...

'>https://tpos.qbe.com...HDWICWZ5U']

We will not pay a claim that arises directly or indirectly because of

any of the following:

1. A member of the travelling party:

(d) rides a motor cycle in excess of 100 cc (except as a pillion passenger)

without a licence that is valid in your country of residence;

To answer your question' date=' I bought my IDP from the only recognised issuer in NSW (Australia) the NRMA (our states 'AA'), so it is legit in any country that accepts an IDP... I bought it when I have been using hire cars, as in that case, the travel insurance covers the excess, and I didn't want to give them any excuse to get out (they are insurance companies after all), and because I would have my little kids with me, and didn't want anything bad to happen with cops on the side of the road....

Everything you wrote was going great until this...

The UN Treaty only applies if Thailand is a signatory (I couldn't find evidence that they are)... and like you said, it is what is written in the Thai Law that matters (not even what Ranking Officials have stated in the media)...

I know that Thailand isn't like Australia, where the matter is specifically addressed in law, but I would love to dig up from somewhere the actual evidence... keep it with me, and never need to worry that I didn't worry about an IDP again...

If stopped on the side of the road, I would happily give the cop 500THB, get a photo with him with my thumbs up, and ride off... it is all part of the story for when I get home... What I don't want to happen is to have to go to a police station to pay a fine, and get screwed around...

But the officials are stating the law. And that is not the only evidence I provided. Insurance companies, rental companies, cops on the side of the road. Even the OP was did not state he was asked for an IDP. The cop was just trying to put one over on him. Whether producing an IDP would have gotten rid of the guy or not we will never know. I think he wouldn't have taken anything less that a Thai DL. I have yet to hear of any reports where people have been asked for an IDP by police or needed one to rent, or be reimbursed due to a crash.

When I got my ThaiDL (car and motorbike) just about 3 years ago, they did not ask for an IDP. (You meant to write IDP, as there is no such thing as an IDL in that regard) They only asked me to print out the California DMV webpage that described the classes (C and M1). I did not have to do the video, driving, or written test.

I had a valid California do and I was required to do the written only. I was told if I had an idp I would have had to take the driving test and watch the film. If course this made no sense cause a idp is only valid with a valid dl but whatever. The written test was simple and took all of 5 min. In fact, I never had a motorbike do only car. I used a fake idl I bought on the internet which used to work perfect with the Thai cops. The transportation office clerk actually laughed at me when I used that and my cadl to get a legal Thai dl and hooked that I bought it on kowsan road. They still took it and issued me both car and bike licenses and I have never done any bike road test in any country.

Sent from my GT-I9100T

Thanks Nomad Joe,

https://tpos.qbe.com...HDWICWZ5U][/url]

...without a licence that is valid in your country of residence;

No' date=' thank you. You saved me the time of looking it up. Exactly as I thought. Nothing about IDP's.

In Phuket, the foriegn owned big bike rental shops; Michelle at Loiloko and Tony at Southern Thailand Tours, definitely insure their big bikes. I think GC motorbikes (Geimer changed name to his Thai gf's name, and I can't remember it now) does too, but not 100% sure. The only reason the Thai guys along the beach road would have insurance on their bikes is so they can get double paid. Expect to be on the hook for total damages on those.

Edited by NomadJoe

Thats not what you say on another posting there you claim to stay here between 5 & 8 mths so maybe you are being economical with the truth to suit your argument.

*One more thing. I find that after I am here for 5, 6 or 8 months I begin to miss 'home' a lot, in the northeast USA. Then, I go there and after a week or 2 I am just dying to get back here! After living in Asia it's dam_n near impossible to live back in the west, trust me.

the most sensible thing you have written on this subject but it really is upto you; but no good complaining when it comes back to kick you in the arse.

Edited by Tafia