Bank Asks For Work Permit To Open Account But Backs Down...

cathy211

I have several Kasikorn accounts. I opened my first in Bkk on Sukhumvit near Emporium and was asked to show my work permit. I do not have one but I have several accounts so I was permitted to open a new one. Otherwise, not.

I have several Kasikorn accounts. I opened my first in Bkk on Sukhumvit near Emporium and was asked to show my work permit. I do not have one but I have several accounts so I was permitted to open a new one. Otherwise, not.

So what! These posts keep sinking lower.

Frankly, I think this is the most newsworthy post I've seen in a long time...something that has a modicum of impact on non-Thai's. Or, if you think the Red/Yellow debate is more important, let's agree to disagree.

Banking here is absurd!

• Like 1

How does that work for somebody on a retirement visa but with no WP?

You will find that 75% of Banks will only need to see your Passport ,and as long as you have a visa they will open an account .

Thats all due to change next month though ( August ) ,when everything about opening a Bank a/c in Thailand is going to get more difficult .It involves new rules against money laundering .

Gee, I would think having a retirement Visa would be a fine reason to be allowed to open a Thai bank account, First of all, it gets foreign money into Thailand. Second, from a consumer point of view, if people have easier access to their monies, they may spend or consume more. I would hope Thai law allows or even mandates that some banks let Retirement Visa holders open Thai bank accounts, because I amy be on a retirement visa in the near future.

Here's the answer: "if one bank won't open an account for your, just keep trying"....true, but jeeeeez

Yes, Bangkok Bank has an actual page on their website that defines what is needed to open an acct. A Non-X visa + another form if ID...and presto chango....."sorry"...you need a work permit.

These stringent laws (?) are in place to discourage money laundering...anyone heard that before?

gk100002000...totally agree! if I ran a country I'd meet you at the airport with a bank application form.And 150 baht fee for non-local atm transactions??? All the while allowing one bank's atm's to have zero withdraw fees?

Gee, I would think having a retirement Visa would be a fine reason to be allowed to open a Thai bank account, First of all, it gets foreign money into Thailand. Second, from a consumer point of view, if people have easier access to their monies, they may spend or consume more. I would hope Thai law allows or even mandates that some banks let Retirement Visa holders open Thai bank accounts, because I amy be on a retirement visa in the near future.

And thirdly because it's a requirement of Immigration that you show the equivalent of 800k Baht, although I believe it doesn't HAVE to be IN Thailand but it's certainly easier if you're going to spend it here.

catch 22 You need a Thai bank account to get a retirement visa that will then allow you to open a Thai bank account.

<deleted> is this. if you are going to rehash an old topic (such as wp and banking) then at least post a question or have a fairly interesting story like the muslim dog one.

im worried next you're going to post something like, "normally one can't find a bts seat, but today i did"

• Like 1

So what! These posts keep sinking lower.

Well, your reply is certainly "low".

Wow, you really are a privileged member(certainly written on your ATM card) tongue.png

Are there any ATM cards issued with one's actual name on them? What is the advantage not to having one's name on it, I wonder.

Edited by Morakot